4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously demented...
Published on January 25, 2005 by Morado

3.0 out of 5 stars The lips are totally crazy
The first thing you need to know about "Crazy Lips" is that it isn't a horror flick. Don't be fooled by that cover. Oh, there are some horror elements, to be sure, and some good old fashioned axe murders, but anyone looking for a good scare isn't going to find it here.

Published on October 9, 2008 by Zack Davisson

4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously demented..., January 25, 2005
Morado (cincinnati, ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
Holy smokes, this is a warped movie, certainly original as well. There are so many combinations of styles from horror to comedy to kung fu, even a musical number. It's almost a retro homage and works totally. Each character has a different flavor and you will never guess what they end up doing. The craziness never ends here. Another aspect that held my attention was the fact many parts caught me completely off guard. To name a few surprises- rape, incest, necrophilia, just watch and enjoy...

4.0 out of 5 stars Vile and Nasty, January 22, 2005
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
When I say this is a vile and nasty film, I'm saying that as a recommendation. For what I perceive to be a very polite and mannered society, the Japanese certainly crank out some of the nastiest and ugliest horror films you (n)ever wanted to see, and this one is no exception. This one, however, has some comedy to it, and it's not exactly slapstick but a couple scenes come kind of close, in a twisted way. A family is plagued by reporters and police because supposedly the son is a serial killer, and one girl enlists the help of some psychics to help find the real killer, because she knows he's innocent. However, the psychics turn out to be psychos too, and subject the family to all sorts of indignities, which is putting things rather mildly. There are some goofy FBI agents (in Japan?) and some headless zombie girls wandering around, not to mention a bunch of way nastier things that go on. One girl even sings a song while she's being tailed by Lucy, the blond Japanese FBI agent....most weird. At any rate, if you love the new wave of weird Japanese films out there then this is truly worth checking out, it'll mess with your head.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Oh no! I'm getting horny again!", August 27, 2005
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
Not since high school have I had so much fun not knowing what was going on.

Two cute teenage girls and their mother are being harassed by the public and hounded relentlessly by news crews because their missing brother has been accused of decapitating four girls. That's the only thing I figured out 100% cause after that things got wackier than Takashi Miike on mushrooms including necrophilia, three rape scenes, a scalping, headless zombies, a musical number, lots of screaming, vomiting, violent telekinetic murders, brutal fight scenes with axes, incest and even a nuclear explosion!

What does it all mean? I don't know and I couldn't care less. I just know I couldn't peel my eyes from the screen in anticipation of what was going to happen next.

If you enjoy the more frenzied moments of films by Miike, Tsukamoto or Lynch then you should check out the unpredictable CRAZY LIPS. "What is truly happening in this house?!"

5.0 out of 5 stars We need this for the ceremony...., March 29, 2006
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
Twisted, twisted, twisted. Thats the best word I can describe this movie with. FIRST, its not a traditional horror, more like a multi-genre movie. It starts as most J-horrors do, slowly, but once it starts gaining momentum it doesnt let up till the end. More confusing than any other movie, I found myself with my jaw on the floor, saying "No, they can't do that!". Way, way over the top in its attempts to be cruel, I really enjoyed it. You had better be pretty tough to endure some of the stuff they throw at you. Some parts will sicken you to the core, and others will make you laugh. For fans of J-horror, you MUST see this, just to get a handle on these reviews. It is made by a fantastic group, but takes a far different path than most.

3.0 out of 5 stars The lips are totally crazy, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)

What "Crazy Lips" ("Hakkyousuru kuchibiru") is, is just...over-the-top. Extreme. Weird. It is a film that doesn't know what genre it wants to be, and tries to be all of them. Spooky ghost story? Check. Action super-powered fighting? Check. Axe-murdering slaughter fest? Check. Sweet musical number? Check. Utterly bizarre pink film where you see a girl raped, taking a dead body in the front while her own father takes her from the back then laughs about how she is going to have a hard time sitting down? Check.

There is a story here, of sorts, but it takes so many wild twists and turns that it hardly seems worth mentioning it. A family is hounded by the press because the eldest son is a suspected serial killer. The family, desperate to clear their name and help the son, retains the services of a powerful psychic who summons up the headless bodies of murdered girls to go and look for their killer. The psychic, however, is not exactly what she appears to be, and a Japanese-girl-in-a-blonde-wig-and-a-bad-accent-trying-to-be-an-American-FBI-agent is hot on the case. Hijinks ensue.

And while the situations may be extreme, none of the sex or violence is. For sex, there is nothing on the level of Entrails of a Virgin, and the nudity never goes above topless. For gore, don't expect Ichi the Killer. It just isn't that kind of movie. The director wants to go over the top, and he seems to have made the movie depending on the whims of a given day rather than following any sort of plan or plot.

Strangely enough, "Crazy Lips" has some good players in its cast. Hiroshi Abe (Hana & Alice) is one of my favorite modern Japanese actors, and this is a very early flick for him. Hitomi Miwa (Ju-on) is a Japanese scream queen, so it is no surprise to see her here doing what she does best.

I wouldn't really be in a rush to recommend this to anyone, unless they are in the mood for something really weird. I had a good time with it, but a sober viewing might not be the best.

2.0 out of 5 stars strange film that ultimately falls flat, October 9, 2006
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
I really don't get all the positive reviews on this movie; it simply wasn't that good. Basically, it is an extemely bizarre and violent film which attempts to blend extreme horror with dark comedy, but ultimately fails in both areas. Movies this strange are sure to gain some cult notoriety, but with all the five star reviews I expected so much better.

If you are really looking for something strange, pick up All night Long instead. It succeeds in every area where this one fails.

1.0 out of 5 stars Headache-inducing Deviation, September 18, 2004
Suree Snyder "tie22dna" (Recluse, Hermosa Beach) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
Bought this DVD since the description was interesting, as well as recently having watched Versus, Pyrokinesis, Uzumaki, etc. has carved a respect from me to watch Asian Horror movies post the popularity of Ringu. I thought this movie would have some substance and at least some art put into it, but none, nada, zilch kaput of anything near my expectations.

This movie has NO plot whatsoever, it does not even accomplish anything that is remotely "thrilling", and if you are into gore (I am not), this movie doesnt have any of that. If you are into necrophillia, perhaps. There is a scene here that was downright DUHHH, when the evilly hypnotized mother and her daughter hang a dectective while the detective is an arousal state. Then these two force the other daughter (our protagonist) into having sex with the now-dead detective. Now what was the point of this scene? Nothing.

And then in the end when the relationship between the protagonist and the long lost brother is revealed, I wonder if the writer was suppose to wow his audience by irrelevant revelation. At this point, I didnt care anymore. I wished all of them were dead so I can turn off the movie.

I think what made me held on to the movie to the very end was absolute denial that I was watching something as stupid as this movie, and then later on vaccillating if I hung on out of morbid curiosity that the story would get any stupider.

One last note, I thought the Asian (being an Asian myself) had gotten rid of the "girl singing in the middle of the movie" parts? Here is something you dont see in Western movies that the Asians seems to have a copyright on. Can you imagine Kate Beckinsdale singing right in the middle of Underworld with music in the background? This cheesy tidbit Asians throw in never assimilated with the West. Well, in this movie, you get a taste of it. Happy fast forwarding!

3.0 out of 5 stars YOU CAN SEE THEM, CAN'T YOU., May 23, 2014
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
The plot starts out simply and then goes through levels of twists and complexities that by the time the film was over, I couldn't understand the title anymore. Michio, Kurahashi (Kazuma Suzuki) is accused of killing and beheading four girls. He is hunted by the police. Mom and his two sisters are harassed by the town and police. In desperation his sister Satomi (Hitomi Miwa) consults a psychic (Yoshiko Yura) who has her own smoke machine, eerie theme music, ankh, and exorbitant price.

Her assistant takes some of the fee in trade by raping mom and the older daughter...as all part of the ceremony. The detective who investigates the case also wants sex, and midway through the film some weird FBI agents get involved. By the time they get to finding the four missing heads, figuring out the real killer, I had to wonder what is really going on.

At one point our main character breaks into a song, but not with the Bollywood flash mob.

The film is unique in a bizarre sort of way and I wonder if I didn't miss something in a cultural translation.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, sex, rape, necrophilia, nudity (Hijiri Natsukawa, Tomomi Kuribayashi, Yumi Yoshiyuki,)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Downside of Creative Freedom, July 10, 2007
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
Here we have a movie that aggressively makes no sense - I'm not buying the "cultural dissociation" thing. It makes no sense. Rather it has a stream of consciousness feel, like someone was detailing the highlights of some really complex dream, but periodically boring themselves with it, so they kept wandering off into largely self-contained tangents. We start with a mystery whose ultimate resolution satisfies no one, yet it's impossible to feel disappointed as quite early one you realize the makers of the movie never really cared about anyway.

It's almost as if the creative team felt the need to say something about... anything... but then realized they really didn't have anything. So they just kind of throw a lot of stuff against the wall, and act as if not waiting to see if anything sticks somehow is sort of like being half-successful.

But hey; if you watch this all the way through and aren't scarred for life from the woman pretending to be an American singing the Star Spangled Banner, well, you're made of some pretty stern stuff. The entire movie may be a failed attempt to film dream logic, but there they have the nightmare part down pat.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Film You Either Hate It Or Like It...And I Like It, January 20, 2013
Aria Araya (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Lips (DVD)
This is of course a film not for everyone, like my title says...you either will hate it or like it. For me, I knew what I was getting into when I ordered this after reading the reviews on here. I'm not into films that are just weird and no sense, but I am into asian horror films. Yes, this has to be one of the weird ones out there, but in a good way. It was made just right to keep my ineterest with all the weird stuff going on. Granted, this is not an all out horror assault but the overall production was still good enough. Like all many reviews on here this film has an all out mixed of genres. Starts out like any horror film, slow, creepy, and mysterious. Then it goes into the extreme of weirdness when the medium comes in. Then add in a musical number by the main character which was actually a damn good tune, made me laugh when that came in cause you're like not expecting it. Then add the comedy genre with some hilarious scenes mixed in with some dark humour. And then you have some action towards the end with some good fight scenes in the woods. I actually thought I would only find this movie ok going into it, but I actually liked it more once I finished it.

Crazy Lips
Crazy Lips by Hirohisa Sasaki (DVD - 2004)
$19.99 $5.01