5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Quilting - FANTASTIC!
Published on April 20, 2008 by jennie

3.0 out of 5 stars you would do better to get a good embroidery book
There are some unique ideas in this book for crazy quilt embellishment and the experienced stitcher may benefit from it, but if you want instructions for making basic crazy quilt stitches, you would do better to get a good embroidery book.
Published 1 month ago by Jobaby

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Quilting - FANTASTIC!, April 20, 2008
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
This book is the BEST that I have found on crazy quilting! I have quite a collection of books on this subject and if I could keep only one, this would be it! Beautiful, well illustrated, great explanations. It has all the answers. And to make it even better, it is ring-bound so that it lies flat which makes it so easy to use. This book gets an A+ (from a strict grader)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, May 9, 2008
Sherrill Lewis (Stillwater, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
A lot of information is packed in this compact, spiral-bound book. Its smaller size makes it ideal to pack in a tote. Marsha knows her medium well. Lots of eye-candy, good instructions, lots of useful instruction.

I am a dedicated crazy-quilter, too. Of all the books available on the craft, I would highly recommend this new book. Hers, plus Carole Samples' "Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches" are the two must-have books for any serious reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR TRAVELING, July 13, 2008
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
THIS BOOK HAS GONE IMMEDIATELY INTO MY TRAVEL-TIME CRAFT BAG!
IT'S A TERRIFIC RESOURCE AND THE SIZE AND BINDING MAKE IT IDEAL FOR USE ON TRIPS.

THE AUTHOR IS SO KNOWLEDGEABLE AND EXPLAINS THINGS SO WELL THAT I'VE COME TO ADMIRE HER WORK AND USE HER BOOKS FOR REFERENCES WHEN I CRAZY-QUILT, WHICH I LOVE TO DO AT HOME BY MACHINE OR ON THE ROAD BY HAND. THIS IS IDEAL FOR PEOPLE AT EITHER BEGINNER OR INTERMEDIATE LEVEL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small in size, BIG on info, October 13, 2009
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
I bought this book because I am making my first crazy quilt. The embellishing techniques explained in this book are easy to understand and the pictures are inspirational. I can't imagine making a quilt without this guide book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Quilting, June 11, 2008
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
Excellent book with clear instructions and drawings. I like that the book can lay flat so that one can follow the instructions easily. The size is also great as one can travel with it easily. A great buy, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tool!, September 12, 2009
Quilting Nonny (Santa Fe, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
I loved this book! I have several books with crazy quilting stitches, but this covers so much more than just the embroidery. The spiral binding (inside the hard cover) makes it easy to keep the book open to view directions while stitching. I'll be using this as the text for a class I teach in Crazy Quilting.

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS the complete guide!, April 3, 2010
Judie Bellingham (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
I've been crazy quilting (or is it quilting crazy) for many years now and have a very good crazy patchwork library to prove it! Crazy Quilting is all about embellioshment ideas. And there's endless ideas out there on how you can embellish a simple piece of cloth into a wonderous extravaganza and feast for the eyes. To that end I like to have a lot of resources at my fingertips to delve into and get inspirations. This publication, Crazy Quilting, The Complete Guide, is one of the very best in it's genre, and J. Marsha Michler must be congratulated on a publication that simply "says it all" and in such an organised manner.

For me, the most valuable thing about this book is that it is spirally bound, which means it will lay flat on my lap, or on my desk, or on my car seat, where ever I may be stitching. That's really important to me! Next, I have found it very easy to navigate my way through this book as it is compiled in an order that even a crazy quilter can follow!! (Pun intended!). After the usual introduction and basics, J.Marsha has investigated ten ways to patch a crazy quilt. There are options to crazy patch a landscape, using strip piecing, a collage method and stained glass just a few. From there you head into a wonderful gallery of achievements, some truly beyond belief. Then Embroidery by Hand is discussed, particularly mentioned are very useful embroidery tips.

From here there is a wonderful large section on Stitch combinations and variations and I think this book stands alone in it's presentation of stitches and how they can be used in a crazy quilting setting. From Back Stitches to Straight stitches (A-Z) and everything in between, each stitch technique is illustrated, and then variations are explored, creating very new and different patterns to inspire.

Embellishments are dealt with in depth, investigating beads, buttons, cordings, motifs, ribbonwork and so forth. Every possible embellishment technique is discussed and developed. J. Marsha also introduces the new techniques of surface work, such as painting fabrics, foiling, stencils, rubbings and lots, lots more.

This is a book that will be in use all the time, with timeless ideas and new patterns for the avid crazy quilter. I thoroughly recommend this gorgeous resource to new and more advanced "crazies" alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 30, 2009
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
Glad I found this. I needed the info about finishing and backing as I have not been able to find it yet. Do not know if same info is in Judy Montano's first crazy quilt book, as I do not own it. The guide to stitches is not as comprehensive as Judy Montano's new small book that is just about stitches. I like the size. It is easy to carry around for reference so I can take projects on the road. It is perfect for what I wanted and needed right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, September 13, 2009
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
This is definitly the book to buy if you're interested in embellished crazy quilts of every type and size. I showed it to a friend and she immediately purchased one. Tremendous reference for various stitches
Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars Information galore!, November 2, 2009
W. Miller (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide (Spiral-bound)
I didn't expect so much information on crazy quilting, from learning how to make silk rosebuds to almost every embroidery stitch there is. It is for those who want to take time to create a treasure that will last for lifetimes. Incredibly creative and beautiful illustrations.

Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide
Crazy Quilting - The Complete Guide by J. Marsha Michler (Spiral-bound - April 8, 2008)
Used & New from: $2.86