Published on January 21, 2011 by S. Gharib

1,095 of 1,225 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good with caveats
Ok, I didn't realize how famous this book was when I first got it. Apparently it's a brand with a documentary and Oprah and everyone else behind it. Sorry, I didn't realize that.

Published on April 4, 2011 by Will Riddle

5.0 out of 5 stars yeah for the crazy sexy diet book, boo for the kindle version of it, January 21, 2011
I love this book. i love kris carr! but i am really disappointed in the kindle version of this book...there are more than a handful of pages that include testimonials, the "diet" plan, lists of GI foods, the dirty doze/clean fifteen etc that I can barely read even with a magnifying glass (and believe i have tried). You can enlarge the font on every other page but these pages therefore there is no way to read the itty bitty writing...which means although i paid for the book I can't read a lot of it, including all the info on the 21 day cleanse (the heart of the book). I don't have the money to go out and buy the book again so...not sure what i can do. But regardless...i am really inspired with what I have read!!

1,095 of 1,225 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good with caveats, April 4, 2011

I picked it up recently because it was on sale and I was looking for some diet/nutrition books that were women-friendly and wife-friendly, and upbeat. I was looking for something inspiring to stick with the program since I have four kids and a busy life, and have tried whole food diets many times without being able to stick to them long term.

In that area, Kris Corr delivers. She is upbeat and encourages you to stick to the program. What I didn't realize from the front cover was that it was going to be a book on how to become a vegan. It also includes all the more radical steps like enemas, colonics, kale smoothies, dry brushing, neti (sinus irrigation), etc. I am not sure I would have picked it up if I knew that, since I was looking for more of the moderate whole food approach. She's also anti-gluten, anti-chemical (i.e. anti coffee, anti-alcohol, anti-prescriptions, anti-Maybelline) and pro-raw. This may not be doable for everybody. Still, she does make it sound compelling and offers ideas of how to start. And she does give ideas if you're going to compromise a little. She says she still has a bottle of Advil in her cabinet for emergencies and makes a point to talk about enjoying your life, even when that means a glass of wine here or there. So I appreciated that.

I also appreciated her section on alkalinity. It made a lot of sense and had some great tips on how to begin alkanalizing your body. She did say radical things like oats and brown rice weren't as healthy for you, which always raises a yellow flag for me. I always worry that that kind of distinction can lead into the mentality that your diet is never strict enough. But then she has the health to back up her statements, so I can't pontificate too much about that! I appreciated her points anyway.

I did not appreciate, however, what a potty mouth she was. For someone who got into finding her spiritual side and weeding out stinking thinking, her language sure seems contradictory. She is trying to be good-natured and encouraging, I know, but there were enough swear words in it that I was hoping my kids wouldn't oversee. I was also a little unsure about lending it to some of my more reserved mom friends. I give her full, full credit and respect for kicking inoperable cancer and having a great attitude about it. But I think the cursing and party-girl slang everywhere made it seem TOO much like a marketing ploy. Like she's trying to force dieting to be fun and flirty by talking like a college co-ed. It is refreshing from all the science jargon that many doctorates in nutrition write, but she has all the scientific jargon in there anyway. Between s*** this and f*** that. So I found it unnecessary. She could have been upbeat and countercultural without it.

(If you like that stuff, Skinny Bitch actually does a better job anyway. This book is like Skinny Bitch in novel form!)

And I really didn't appreciate how she brought her political affiliation into the book. I am not sure why Democrats assume that only Democrats care about diet. Actually many, many conservatives are just as "back to nature" as anyone else, and saying you're a Democratic, beer-swilling party girl doesn't help the book appeal more widely to people who would otherwise read it. I am a conservative, I like sexy, and I have the same reservations she does about FDA endorsement, government policies, the corn/soy lobby, and being wasteful. I am not criticizing her for being what she is, but why bring it into a diet book? Her points could have been made with the science and good attitude alone.

So in the end, I really wrestled with whether to give this book four stars or three stars. As a diet book with good ideas and helpful descriptions of detox, it is a four. For the party-girl language and tone, I give it a three. It is strong enough to get in the way of the reading. I liked the book enough, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm Living Proof that this Diet isn't for Everyone, January 9, 2012
I'd like to start by saying that I find Kris Carr to be inspiring, empowering and amazing. She has helped me in many ways on my journey with "incurable" cancer. That said, I had to give this book a low rating because the dietary information is simply not accurate. I learned the hard way that a vegetarian diet is not optimal or even safe for all of us. Let me explain...

Two years ago, in August of '09, I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, incurable cancer of the bone marrow. I declined conventional medicine and did the Gerson Therapy for two years. It involves 12 vegetable juices a day, coffee enemas and a fruit/vegetable vegan diet; no salt, limited spices, very strict. After two years on the therapy, my disease was stable (it worsened the first few months and then held stable) and I was exhausted. I couldn't figure out why I was so tired. I had encouraged my friends to drink green juice and some of them experienced incredible energy highs; yet, I drank four green juices a day for two years and was exhausted.

Since I didn't feel well and I hadn't improved, I switched to the Gonzalez protocol, another alternative cancer therapy that I read about in Suzanne Somers' Knockout book. Dr. Gonzalez told me to eat red meat 4-5 times per week plus butter, eggs and dairy; all organic, of course. He prescribes a different diet for everyone based on genetics; some patients are on plant based, raw diets and others eat red meat three times a day. I happen to be in the middle of the vegetarian/carnivore spectrum so I eat a variety of plant and animal foods. Once I moved from a plant based diet to a diet that includes a lot of red meat and other animal products, my cancer began melting away. It is amazing and I am thrilled! You can read about it at [...]

Interestingly, I also learned from Dr. Gonzalez that not everyone should strive for alkalinity. Most naturopaths believe that everyone should be alkaline; if that were correct, a diet of raw veggies will be optimal for all. Dr. Gonzalez, however, believes that some of us are born too alkaline and need to eat acidic foods to balance us out. For my diet, he suggests that I eat one salad a day and absolutely NO green juice as it will make me too alkaline and he says that's one of the reasons I got cancer in the first place. On my first day on the new diet, I had eggs for breakfast and steak for dinner and my energy improved dramatically; for the first time in two years, I didn't spend the day yawning.

Given that Dr. Gonzalez is the only doctor I know who is successfully (he has a 70-80% success rate with his "incurable" cancer patients) reversing all types of late stage cancers without the use of conventional treatment, I'm inclined to believe he is right.

The point here is that a raw, plant based diet works for some but certainly not for everyone. Anyone with a blood disease such as leukemia, myeloma and lymphoma needs red meat, sometimes in very large quantities. If a plant based diet makes you feel great, then that's what you should consume. But it doesn't work for everyone and it didn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, July 9, 2011
I use this book as a guide, not The Bible. There are parts I skipped that I didn't want to read--animal cruelty in the meat industry (had enough of that when I read Fast Food Nation), meditation/yoga (my idea of meditation is taking a walk alone and I am not a yoga fan). But the book is full of great info and it's nice to have it all in one place.

I'm on Day 5 of the cleanse, which I started b/c I've been eating horribly for the past year. I cheated and had a big piece of cake at my friend's birthday party last night, and let me tell you, I woke up this morning and felt like vomiting. So maybe the cleanse is working.

Again, I use the book as a guide. So I still use the microwave, even though I'm not supposed to. I'm not going to kill myself about it. Also, if you don't make much money and have a family to support this is going to seem like an expensive plan. If you don't live near a Trader Joe's (for cheap cleanse staples like almond butter, nut milk, etc.) and a place that sells inexpensive produce, this is not going to work. Making juices every day will take at least an extra hour out of your day to prep and clean, and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it for another 2 weeks while working.

One interesting thing about this cleanse is that I feel beyond full, prob. from all the roughage. You will definitely not be, and should not be hungry. But I find myself thinking about bread a lot, not so much for the taste, but for the texture in my mouth. Rice/corn/nut crackers seem to take the edge off a bit but it's definitely not the same!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone..., September 9, 2011
As a 2-year vegan/vegetarian, I was looking for a book mainly as a refresher. I would recommend against this book! I wish I had looked beyond the back cover, as it led me to believe I would love this book. I thought it was going to be more like Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" (my favorite!); live and eat healthy (vegetables, fruit, grains, beans, etc.), no counting or configuring, be aware of how you feel, and care for yourself and the world around you. Instead, this book was a feast of science-based eating, fasting, juicing, and the dreaded "cleanse", all things I do not subscribe to. After all the research I have done, I truly believe that fasting and heavy juicing is not healthy for you. Honestly, this book may work for some people, but I just don't think it's realistic for most. I will definitely be sticking with "The Kind Diet"!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide, but please pay attention to protein and calcium intake, January 28, 2011
Lisa (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I will start by saying that I am a huge fan of Kris Carr. I have seen her documentary, read one of her previous books and regularly read her blog. She is truly an inspiration for people who are dealing with serious diseases or for those who are interested in prevention. Prevention is the main reason why I became vegan more than 2 years ago. My diet evolved over time and books like Crazy Sexy Diet encourage me to keep it clean and stick to whole foods.

If you or your loved one suffers from a chronic disease, you may find this book especially useful or even lifesaving. The lifestyle described in this book can help in many situations when a patient finds the course of action suggested by his or her doctor unacceptable. Or in situations where medicine cannot offer any relief.

Although this appears to be a well researched book, I have to point out some factual errors that a Registered Dietitian proofreading this book should have noticed. In her acknowledgments, Kris mentioned that Jennifer Reilly, RD did so; however, that does not appear to be sufficient.

-on page 168, she states that B12 in the form of methylcobalamin is absorbed best. In fact, cyanocobalamin is absorbed better that methylcobalamin. This is significant because 1000 mcg of cyanocobalamin can be taken twice a week, while methylcobalamin in the same dose will have to be taken daily. It is important for vegans to know this distinction to avoid deficiency.

-on pages 73-75, Lilli B. Link, MD suggests that it is not necessary to take 1000 mg of calcium. She invokes a study that looked at raw foodists and another epidemiological study. She also continues to promote the theory that consumption of too much protein is a significant factor in the development of osteoporosis. This theory is slowly being discredited with newer studies that have been coming out and that have analyzed this relationship. She also fails to mention some cross-sectional studies that showed that vegans may be at a higher risk for osteoporosis-related fractures because of lower calcium intake. One of the examples is the EPIC study where vegans had 30% higher fracture rate than vegetarians, fish eaters and meat eaters. Vegan RDs: Jack Norris and Virginia Messina discuss this topic in detail on their blogs and the website veganhealth.org. They conclude that there is no reason to believe that vegan diet prevents osteoporosis or that vegans need less calcium that everybody else. Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, RD, both of whom are vegans, agree on this point as demonstrated in their book "Becoming Vegan". So if you are a vegan, it makes sense to pay careful attention to the amount of calcium you consume from food and if you don't get enough, make up the difference in supplements.

-on page 68, Kris discusses the amount of protein that a person needs every day. She states that the USDA daily recommendation is 0.36 g of protein per pound of body weight, which is true. Using an example of a 130 pound woman, she calculates that she would need 47 grams of protein. Then she states that according to experts like Dr. Furhman, this recommendation is too high and that we only need 20 to 35 grams of protein. However, there is very little evidence that this is the case. All four vegan dietitians, whose names I mentioned above, suggest that vegans should not consume an amount of protein lower that what is recommended. They suggest that vegans should eat more than what is recommended. Specifically, in "Becoming Vegan" Davis and Melina say that "for vegans on predominantly whole foods diets [which is what Kris Carr recommends], a figure of 0.9 g protein per kg body weight is suggested" 0.9 g per kg is approximately 0.45 g per pound. This will mean that a person with weight of 130 pounds will need roughly 59 grams of plant protein. It is not that hard to get a proper amount of protein on a vegan diet. However, it is important that vegans understand how much they truly need. Dr. Furhman may be a well meaning person, however, both my husband and I experienced a protein deficiency that resulted in hair loss following my reading his book "Eat to Live," which was one of the first books that I read after becoming vegan.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from becoming vegan. That has been one of the best decisions that I have made in my life. I just want to make sure that readers who have been influenced by this book to change their lifestyle for the better understand how to properly balance their diet and that Kris Carr herself gives solid nutrition advice to her readers and followers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have!, November 10, 2010
We all know we need to eat more veggies and less junky foods, but do we really understand why? As a dietitian, this is the first book I've seen that gets down to the nitty gritty on why green foods are so important in boosting your immune system, how and why certain foods affect the acidity/alkalinity of your blood, and why any of that matters in an entertaining, can't-put-the-book-down kind of way. It is fascinating, empowering, and highly motivating. Since reading this book, my husband, myself, and our 3 kids (all under age 5) have added a scrumptious daily green smoothie to our already healthy diets, and are now feeling more energized, more focused, and running circles around all our cold and flu-bugged friends. This book not only includes essential health information, but tons of practical nutrition and lifestyle recommendations as well. There are delicious recipes, and 21 sample days to guide you on the right foot. Following the principles discussed in this book is the best gift you can give yourself and your loved ones. Kris Carr is living proof that this plan is the best way to live. You will thank her!

5.0 out of 5 stars great guide to health & an entertaining read, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, And Live Like You Mean It! (Paperback)
I should start by noting that I have not yet attempted the full 3 week cleanse. I have however read this book cover to cover, and refer back to it frequently and re-read sections as needed (I've had it for 1 yr now). I use this book as a guide as to how I should be eating, and it's a goal to eventually do the full 3 week cleanse (my main issue is not so much with the food, it's more about taking the extra time every day to meditate, dry brush, use my neti pot, etc.).

I read a lot of vegan/vegetarian cook books and blogs, as well as general nutrition books, and I really enjoy Kris Carr's writing style. She includes important & serious information, yet her writing style is light and just fun. Reading a book like "The China Study" puts me to sleep, and "Skinny Bitch" can border on too vulgar, but this book is just really enjoyable to read.

I've been vegetarian/vegan for 15 years, and so I'm someone who's already committed to a plant-based diet. For someone who's used to eating dairy/fish/meat, the transition to this way of eating is probably going to be a lot harder. I like that Kris Carr emphasizes so many veggies, and especially raw veggies. A lot of vegan and vegetarian cook books and blogs focus heavily on grains and beans, and tell you to cut out fats. I've found that for me personally, the more raw I eat, the better I feel. I used to love grains & beans, but my body stopped tolerating them well and after being diagnosed with Crohn's a few years ago, it made sense to cut them out. I do eat limited gluten-free grains like quinoa and brown rice, but heartier grains like kasha are too hard on my digestive system (same with beans, though I can handle lentils a bit better, in small amounts).

A typical day for me looks like this: green juice and/or green smoothie in the morning, large raw salad for lunch with some quinoa or lentils, hemp seeds, and oil/vinegar or homemade dressing, and dinner might be zucchini pasta with a raw tomato sauce, or stir-fried veggies over some quinoa or brown rice or zucchini noodles. For a snack in the afternoon I'll have an apple with raw almonds or another green juice, or maybe carrots with hummus. I also eat raw & cooked veggie soups, all kinds of steamed/grilled veggies, and when I want not as healthy snacks, I have chips & salsa and dark chocolate.

I'm not suggesting that this is the best eating plan for everyone- it might not be. But as someone who's already committed to eating vegan due to animal and environmental issues, it is the best eating plan I've found so far that leaves me feeling healthy, satisfied, and energized, and when I follow it consistently, it eliminates my Crohn's symptoms (which I choose to not take medication for). I would just say, don't bash the plan because you think people need to eat meat. I'll respectfully disagree with that, and I'll eat what I feel is best for myself, as you should do for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a diet, February 16, 2012
Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet is more a way of life than a diet.

Carr is an inspiration: many people who've gotten her diagnosis, or something similar, are all too willing to take meds and give up. I very much appreciate the lesson she teaches, that you can fix yourself from the inside out. A lot of the things that we've been taught about food are myths and products of subsidies and other deals. Eating right and being healthy is not hard if you want it. If you can get over your addictions to sugar and the like, you can change your life. She makes sense.

As for me, I can tell you that while I was eating healthfully as Carr teaches, I felt great. Just being and eating clean opened up sources of energy I never knew I had. Even my attitude was better. I have since relapsed with my addiction to sugar, and I have to reread this book and snap out of that. These kinds of books are what you make them. It is important to note here that not all of the dietary restrictions that Carr prescribes will work for everyone, and she advocates doing what works for you.

The juicing portion of the book is invaluable. The vitamins and minerals in fresh vegetables and fruits are what moves your system. I was a little disappointed that there were not more recipes, but Carr has just come out with a new book devoted specifically to juicing and blending.

An alkaline diet is also important. Think about it: if you can feel the acidity in your body in your chest every night after dinner, say, best to avoid those foods, isn't it? Germs and viruses thrive in alkaline conditions. If you could change just a few things in your diet and rid yourself of the flu, bronchitis, yeast infections, bacterial infections, etc., wouldn't you? I've eliminated certain things in my diet and I've stuck with it, but I'm not going to tell you I don;'t still crave them. Take soda, for example. I was a big diet soda drinker, since childhood all the way up until a year or so ago. Every once in a while, I crave a Coke like you wouldn't believe, but any carbonated drink wreaks havoc on your gastrointestinal system. Soda is a rare treat rather than the norm in my life. I'm also starting to reconsider milk. As I get older, i find my system doesn't tolerate what it used to, and milk falls into this category. The challenge is that I've grown up, and am still told by my mother, that milk and dairy is the way to get your calcium. That's not necessarily so. Why is it more expensive to eat healthy and so much cheaper to hit McDonald's every night? Because of government subsidies.

I see that a lot of people here are hung up on the language Carr uses. Way to miss the point. But I realize her tone doesn't work for everyone. Personally, I thought the conversational tone, and yes, her use of curse words, is just right for a book that is really geared toward people who have partied too much and made themselves sick. The language is a masterful move.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jump in! The water is a little green but divine!, January 26, 2011
Page Turner (Northern CA United States) - See all my reviews
Imagine living what you thought was a `healthy' lifestyle and then getting the wind quite literally knocked out of your sails with the diagnosis of a rare and potentially fatal disease? Don't think it can happen to you? Think again. It happened to Kris Carr. And it happened to me. If it wasn't for Kris Carr coming to my rescue, I think I would have drowned in my own sorrow. She quite literally made me see the "light" and I was able to swim to the top again. Don't wait until you receive some bad news - there are things you can do NOW to empower yourself and feel better than you've ever felt before but it's going to take some re-education away from the SAD (Standard American Diet) way of life. Just know this - there ARE foods you can eat to improve the chemistry of your body. There ARE practices you can develop to rev up your spiritual mojo. There ARE ways to learn and embrace a "new normal" and in the process make every day you have left breathing and loving on this planet more extraordinary than you could ever imagine. Kris has done the legwork for you. This is not just a book about a food diet, it's a life diet. It's recipes for all your needs, not just food on the table. Although it's a lot of information, you don't have to jump all the way in. But just try...stick a toe in and then go a little deeper every day. Take what you need and what will work for you and then try a little more of her sage advice. I promise you'll come away with some nugget of wisdom that you haven't been offered anywhere before. Kris has helped me develop a lifestyle and practice that works for me and I will always be grateful because despite being given my `expiration' date, too, I feel better than I've felt in years and I'm smiling and laughing again. A lot. I'm truly living now and know the time I have left will be filled with more spirit and joy than I could have imagined a year ago!

$21.95 $15.11