Published on November 6, 2012 by Naomi Manygoats

2.0 out of 5 stars Not useful for everyday cooking
Published 20 months ago by Keryn

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Natural Food Chefs, might be tough going for others, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Kitchen: 150 Plant-Empowered Recipes to Ignite a Mouthwatering Revolution (Hardcover)
Crazy Sexy Kitchen is a gorgeous book simply packed with information. The recipes are well written and the photography beautiful. I am familiar with some of the chefs, having been educated at the Natural Epicurean in Austin, which is where the headquarters of Whole Foods is located at. As a trained chef, I think these are fabulous recipes that will be amazing. I plan to cook my way through the book (as soon as I break down and buy a dehydrator for some of the recipes that is). My daughter had just asked how I would make a vegan clam chowder, and the recipe in this book is even better than what I came up with. I am also a cancer survivor, so have a very real interest in eating for better health. The sections on Lifestyle and Philosophy, Preparation, and Kitchen Know-How that are in front of the 150 recipes give the reader an excellent natural foods education in themselves.

The layout, font, design, and photography is gorgeous. I am very familiar with standard annotations to recipes, GF for Gluten-Free, V for Vegan, etc. but I had to go find the index to figure out what a '1 GF SF KF Q' designation was for example. Once you see what all the abbreviations mean, it is easy to remember them however.

So for a natural foods chef, or a chef that wants to learn more about natural foods cooking, this is a fabulous resource. So many books on 'healthy cooking' including some from the Culinary Institute of America seem to think that means cutting down on salt and fat, but leaving in the white flour, sugar, and all the rest. If you are a dedicated and fearless cook, this is also a fabulous resource. My only concern is that 'normal' people who work all day, run their kids around, and have to get dinner on the table fast that everyone will eat might be frustrated. You really do need something like a Vitamix to do a lot of smoothies. A spiralizer is very helpful for things like the raw zucchini pasta, and a dehydrator is necessary for the Kale chips. Many of the ingredients will not be familiar to a large number of people, for example the seaweeds. Access to a great grocery store is also a must, so that you can find the special ingredients as well as a large number of organics. There are still many towns where a really good natural foods store is lacking. As with many really great recipes, there are layers of flavor that result from sauces, vegan cheeses, and vegan nut milks that must be made. I would really love to see a similar book with many more recipes that people could easily make who don't even like to cook, but want to be healthy.

A recent article on Mercola.com raised issues that too much iron might be linked to alzheimers. This book says it is the healthiest cookware....also many men have a disease where their body already produce too much iron, as I sat next to them in chemo. So I recommend Le Creuset, which we used at cooking school. It is enamaled cast iron, so you get the heat distribution of cast iron, and amazing slow cooked foods, while getting the health benefits and rust protection of the enamal glaze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan recipes that omnivores will love, October 30, 2012
I'm an omnivore married to a vegan and we've made 20+ meals from this book so far. Everything has been excellent. I highly recommend the Chickpea Crepes with Artichoke Aioli. Blew my mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not useful for everyday cooking, April 27, 2013
I have had this book for quite a few months now and I must say that it is not one I am inspired to use often. Most of the recipes have too many ingredients and steps to be enticing for use as everyday, quick meals. Those that dont fall into this category are at the other extreme, very simple and basic - the sort that you really dont need a recipe for!. I have tried a number of the recipes and they are just okay, sometimes tasty, sometimes bland, but generally not anything I would be inclined to make again - in most cases I have recipes that are similar but tastier, or quicker to prepare. Love the message that Kris imparts, but the cookbook is a let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most beautiful cookbook I've ever seen. Destined to be a classic., October 30, 2012
I bought FIFTEEN copies of Kris Carr's last book, Crazy Sexy Diet for all of my girlfriends (and even my dad). And I'll get fifteen more of Crazy Sexy KITCHEN. Crazy Sexy Diet changed my lifestyle into a plant-focused, anti-inflammatory, more food-conscious way of living. Crazy Sexy KITCHEN is going to change the way we cook in my house: more intentional, more greens, more light, and more flavah!

And... the book is GORGEOUS. So that's a bonus to the really thoughtful recipes.

We've used Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook for years, and Crazy Sexy Kitchen is getting the new prime spot in our house, especially since we're more focused on wellness and planet-love than ever.

Crazy Sexy Kitchen will become a classic cookbook. May the plant-empowered revolution that Kris is fueling grow wild. xoxo

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, December 3, 2012
I really loved crazy sexy kitchen, and while this cookbook is beautiful and I'm sure the recipes are delicious, you can tell that her co-author and contributors wrote most of the recipes because the ingredient lists are long and most recipes look time consuming. Whenever I get cookbooks from chefs instead of cooks they tend to be that way- lovely but not for every day cooking. The flip side is a recipe for avocado on toast- not exactly revoluationary since I eat this all the time. I was looking to find some insipiration and variety to my vegan cooking but this book is not it. I was hoping for something along the lines of 'every day Italian' or 'every day Mexican' that are quick, delicious, and have relatively short ingredient lists. I was really looking forward to this book but don't think I'll use it much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy. Sexy. YES!, October 30, 2012
Kris Carr's new cookbook "Crazy, Sexy, Kitchen" was a welcome addition to my lifestyle. I just got back on the juicing train & her creative & delicious vegan fare has fit in perfectly with my new eating habits. A majority of the recipes are a bit labor intensive with some obscure ingredients (nothing you can't find at a whole foods or local health store) but as she says, once you start stocking your kitchen with those foods they'll be there at your disposal. I started out with some of the easier ones and created the Mushroom Crepes with Artichoke Aioli, Veggie Quesadillas & Brussel Sprouts.

The verdict?

Mushroom Crepes: The crepes probably required the most work but I had a lot of fun doing it & you feel super creative getting it all done. I mean you're making aioli out of soaked cashews! I'm also a mushroom fanatic so its hard to do me wrong on this front. The end result was pretty tasty + the GF crepes I think will make a great base for whatever you choose to fill them with! Side note: My boyfriend who is an order steak or pork chops at dinner kinda guy ate them and said "I don't know why vegan cooking gets such a bad rap, this is delicious!"

Veggie Quesadillas: The quesadillas were incredibly easy, though I think probably much better with real cheese. I'm trying to love the Daiya cheese but I'm not quite buying it. Just tastes like fake cheese to me. Otherwise its a fun recipe that I you can add other ingredients as you please!

Brussel Sprouts: The brussel sprouts I was wildly excited for but they have some really great bites & some bland ones. Maybe the answer is a bit extra on the other ingredients? It's a nice, easy recipe to make them at home though. The recipe calls for 15 min in the oven & I had to do closer to 20-25 but it probably depends on the oven.

Overall I feel CSK is a fabulously fun & yummy way to get your kitchen healthier, have a blast experimenting with new food & make better eating choices. I'm excited to keep exploring all the other recipes Kris Carr has to offer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Kris But Not The Food, April 10, 2013
I had such high hopes after really liking the first book but this was disappointing. There are simply too many ingredients listed like soy, canola oil that no one, especially anyone with a disease should be consuming. Also many of the recipes seemed over done. I tried three recipes and each one seemed like it didn't need that many ingredients or steps to taste good, typical of books by chefs. But the suggested use of canola oil was a definite put off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Complicated, May 14, 2013
I like Kris Carr and I read her Crazy Sexy Diet book but I was not a fan of this cookbook. I like cookbooks that have quick, affordable, and easy vegan recipes to make for my family. I found her recipes to have too many ingredients and to be way too complicated. The pictures are nice but I can't see myself using this book very often (or ever).

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!, November 15, 2013
Recipes have too many ingredients . Definitely not for a new vegan. Very discouraging for one just starting out or for one who likes to keep it simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Delicious, October 30, 2012
J. Beresford "songbird" (Suffield, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Crazy Sexy Kitchen Review
As soon as I received this book I knew I was in for a treat. Kris Carr has a way with words that will entertain you from cover to cover. The journey begins with an introduction to the author's history and purpose for the book. We gain a respectful insight into the main chef Chad Sarno, followed by several guest chefs. Kris swings gently and appropriately into Section one with the philosophy of `nutrient-dense plant based' why and why not's educating the reader about inflammation, proper PH, green juices, smoothies, and using the theory of prevention or `eating for your future' as the best approach to good health.
Kris goes on to explain in understandable language, exactly what proteins and fats are and why they are so very necessary for health and healing. Section two, or the second course as it is so appropriately labeled, contains proper food staples and kitchen tools. The third course dives into cooking lingo, how to cook grains and beans, ending with knife use and care.
We are finally rewarded with an abundance of creative and incredibly delicious recipes coupled with mouth-watering photography. I tried many of the recipes, and I have been pleased with virtually all of them. From soups and salads, to smoothies and juice combinations to entrees and yes, even deserts, your mouth, your cells, your family and your friends with all enjoy the benefits of these delightful morsels created by talented and experienced chefs. Anyone remotely interested in making the conversion from the Standard American Diet to healthy and delicious eating, should read and use this book.
Jeanie Beresford NTP