Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on November 6, 2012
Crazy Sexy Kitchen is a gorgeous book simply packed with information. The recipes are well written and the photography beautiful. I am familiar with some of the chefs, having been educated at the Natural Epicurean in Austin, which is where the headquarters of Whole Foods is located at. As a trained chef, I think these are fabulous recipes that will be amazing. I plan to cook my way through the book (as soon as I break down and buy a dehydrator for some of the recipes that is). My daughter had just asked how I would make a vegan clam chowder, and the recipe in this book is even better than what I came up with. I am also a cancer survivor, so have a very real interest in eating for better health. The sections on Lifestyle and Philosophy, Preparation, and Kitchen Know-How that are in front of the 150 recipes give the reader an excellent natural foods education in themselves.

The layout, font, design, and photography is gorgeous. I am very familiar with standard annotations to recipes, GF for Gluten-Free, V for Vegan, etc. but I had to go find the index to figure out what a '1 GF SF KF Q' designation was for example. Once you see what all the abbreviations mean, it is easy to remember them however.

So for a natural foods chef, or a chef that wants to learn more about natural foods cooking, this is a fabulous resource. So many books on 'healthy cooking' including some from the Culinary Institute of America seem to think that means cutting down on salt and fat, but leaving in the white flour, sugar, and all the rest. If you are a dedicated and fearless cook, this is also a fabulous resource. My only concern is that 'normal' people who work all day, run their kids around, and have to get dinner on the table fast that everyone will eat might be frustrated. You really do need something like a Vitamix to do a lot of smoothies. A spiralizer is very helpful for things like the raw zucchini pasta, and a dehydrator is necessary for the Kale chips. Many of the ingredients will not be familiar to a large number of people, for example the seaweeds. Access to a great grocery store is also a must, so that you can find the special ingredients as well as a large number of organics. There are still many towns where a really good natural foods store is lacking. As with many really great recipes, there are layers of flavor that result from sauces, vegan cheeses, and vegan nut milks that must be made. I would really love to see a similar book with many more recipes that people could easily make who don't even like to cook, but want to be healthy.

A recent article on Mercola.com raised issues that too much iron might be linked to alzheimers. This book says it is the healthiest cookware....also many men have a disease where their body already produce too much iron, as I sat next to them in chemo. So I recommend Le Creuset, which we used at cooking school. It is enamaled cast iron, so you get the heat distribution of cast iron, and amazing slow cooked foods, while getting the health benefits and rust protection of the enamal glaze.
77 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
I love Kris, read her blog and loved her other books. Her personality, creativity and attitude always inspire me. I ordered this book as soon as it came out, but as soon as it arrived and I flipped through it, I was disappointed. Seriously? All these chef recipes put me off. I'm an expert cook, a long-time vegetarian and no stranger to health food stores and curious ingredients. But even so, I knew these recipes would be once-in-a-while special occasion meals, not everyday working kitchen staples. Fortunately, I do not have a chronic illness, but I can hardly imagine someone who isn't feeling well tackling these ambitious production recipes!

What I was hoping for were healthful recipes that could be used everyday. For a comparison, I often cook from "Cooking Cancer in the Kitchen" by Ramke and Scott. It comes from the same nutritional and philosophical approach as Carr, but the recipes are MUCH simpler and do-able for people who are busy, or coping with chronic health issues. Perhaps Kris's next cookbook can focus on simpler, everyday recipes. This book, however, I returned.
on October 30, 2012
I'm an omnivore married to a vegan and we've made 20+ meals from this book so far. Everything has been excellent. I highly recommend the Chickpea Crepes with Artichoke Aioli. Blew my mind.
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2013
I have had this book for quite a few months now and I must say that it is not one I am inspired to use often. Most of the recipes have too many ingredients and steps to be enticing for use as everyday, quick meals. Those that dont fall into this category are at the other extreme, very simple and basic - the sort that you really dont need a recipe for!. I have tried a number of the recipes and they are just okay, sometimes tasty, sometimes bland, but generally not anything I would be inclined to make again - in most cases I have recipes that are similar but tastier, or quicker to prepare. Love the message that Kris imparts, but the cookbook is a let down.
on March 5, 2014
Since I grew to like "Crazy Sexy Diet" So much I was pretty excited to get my hands on a copy of "Crazy Sexy Kitchen." I received it as a Christmas gift back in 2012, but I'll be honest, I didn't use it very much right away. I'm not sure why but something about it just didn't appeal to me at the time. Maybe it was the fact that most of the recipes come once again from celebrity chefs like Chad Sarrno rather then Kris Carr. I'll be honest, I don't care about celebrity chefs vegan or otherwise, what I care about is what Kris Carr has to say, and what she's actually making to eat day-to-day. I mean maybe she makes some of this stuff everyday, maybe not, who knows, but at the time I just wasn't interested. So for a little over a year this book went unused, sitting, and taking up space on my shelf, then this past January rolled around and I decided to do a month long cleanse. I was using the "Crazy Sexy Diet" as a guidebook, and decided why not try some of the recipes from "Crazy Sexy Kitchen" Oh wow, am I ever glad that I did!

Recipes that looked so daunting and time consuming upon first glance turned out to be effortless and easy. In fact, I don't think any recipe took me longer then 30-40 minutes which is about average time for me in the kitchen anyway. Some of the recipes have a long ingredient list, but that's because they're rich in spices and vegetables. All of the spices I have on hand anyway, and most other things I keep in the pantry. Certain foods like fennel, or beets, or zucchini I don't have in the fridge every week but that's no big deal. With a little forethought and planning I found this book very easy to use, and pretty economical.

I was however a little surprised at some of the ingredients used in the book. Certain oils for one, sugar, gluten etc.. Since "Crazy Sexy Diet" is pretty strict about the use of gluten and sugar I was surprised to see them used - sometimes liberally within the pages of this cook book. However I assume this was to appeal to a broader base, perhaps to attract all those winy readers who thought CSD was too severe and too strict. Just goes to show you can't please everybody all of the time.

Like CSD the first half of this book Is full of a lot os useful information. If you've read CSD it'll be nothing new to you, but if you're new to this whole Crazy Sexy thing be prepared for an eye-opening adventure. Like always Carr's style is effortless, down to earth, and conversational, and the book itself is beautiful. A lovely hardcover with wonderful food photographer - something that was lacking in CSD - and plenty of great recipes. Of them I've made,

Sweet Greens Juice - Loved it
Aztec Spirt - Loved it
Green Paint with Assorted Fruits - Pretty good
Avo Toasts - Loved it!
Coconut and Red Lentil Soup - Loved it
Crazy Sexy Bean Chili - Loved it, seriously this was amazing I made it twice in three days. My new `go-to' chili recipe! This recipe converted my husband to a chili lover.
Wild Mushroom, Ginger and Brussels Sprout Pho Show - Pretty good
Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Burgers - Loved it!
Curried Nada-Egg with Watercress Wraps - Loved it
Crazy Sexy Kale - Loved it
Chopped Salad - Loved it! - a `go-to' lunch salad for me now because it's so simple and delicious.
Asian Noodle Salad with Black Vinaigrette - Loved it!
Super Simple Wok Vegetables - Loved it
Lentil and Chard Ragout - Pretty good
Chickpea with Root Vegetable Tagine - Pretty good
Indian Chickpea Blinis with Cashew Coconut Chutney - Loved it! This recipe is worth the price of the book alone.
Sauteed Chard - Pretty good
Zucchini Carpaccio - Loved it
Pastrami-Spiced Young Carrots with White Bean Sauerkraut Puree - Loved it, also worth the price of the book alone.
Basic Asian Marinade - Loved it
Cashew Aioli - Loved it
Artichoke Aioli - Loved it

Despite the few things I didn't like about this book, I really think the recipes are stellar and `stand-out' Most are simple and come together quickly, some - like Avo Toasts may be `too' simple but still delicious. Though perhaps this isn't the best book for a newbie vegan, anyone who isn't interested in actually cooking, or anyone who's a bit fussy in the kitchen. Give this book to the people in your life who derive real joy out of cooking and like to spend their time embarking on new culinary adventures.
on May 14, 2013
I like Kris Carr and I read her Crazy Sexy Diet book but I was not a fan of this cookbook. I like cookbooks that have quick, affordable, and easy vegan recipes to make for my family. I found her recipes to have too many ingredients and to be way too complicated. The pictures are nice but I can't see myself using this book very often (or ever).
on October 30, 2012
I bought FIFTEEN copies of Kris Carr's last book, Crazy Sexy Diet for all of my girlfriends (and even my dad). And I'll get fifteen more of Crazy Sexy KITCHEN. Crazy Sexy Diet changed my lifestyle into a plant-focused, anti-inflammatory, more food-conscious way of living. Crazy Sexy KITCHEN is going to change the way we cook in my house: more intentional, more greens, more light, and more flavah!

And... the book is GORGEOUS. So that's a bonus to the really thoughtful recipes.

We've used Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook for years, and Crazy Sexy Kitchen is getting the new prime spot in our house, especially since we're more focused on wellness and planet-love than ever.

Crazy Sexy Kitchen will become a classic cookbook. May the plant-empowered revolution that Kris is fueling grow wild. xoxo
on October 30, 2012
Kris Carr's new cookbook "Crazy, Sexy, Kitchen" was a welcome addition to my lifestyle. I just got back on the juicing train & her creative & delicious vegan fare has fit in perfectly with my new eating habits. A majority of the recipes are a bit labor intensive with some obscure ingredients (nothing you can't find at a whole foods or local health store) but as she says, once you start stocking your kitchen with those foods they'll be there at your disposal. I started out with some of the easier ones and created the Mushroom Crepes with Artichoke Aioli, Veggie Quesadillas & Brussel Sprouts.

The verdict?

Mushroom Crepes: The crepes probably required the most work but I had a lot of fun doing it & you feel super creative getting it all done. I mean you're making aioli out of soaked cashews! I'm also a mushroom fanatic so its hard to do me wrong on this front. The end result was pretty tasty + the GF crepes I think will make a great base for whatever you choose to fill them with! Side note: My boyfriend who is an order steak or pork chops at dinner kinda guy ate them and said "I don't know why vegan cooking gets such a bad rap, this is delicious!"

Veggie Quesadillas: The quesadillas were incredibly easy, though I think probably much better with real cheese. I'm trying to love the Daiya cheese but I'm not quite buying it. Just tastes like fake cheese to me. Otherwise its a fun recipe that I you can add other ingredients as you please!

Brussel Sprouts: The brussel sprouts I was wildly excited for but they have some really great bites & some bland ones. Maybe the answer is a bit extra on the other ingredients? It's a nice, easy recipe to make them at home though. The recipe calls for 15 min in the oven & I had to do closer to 20-25 but it probably depends on the oven.

Overall I feel CSK is a fabulously fun & yummy way to get your kitchen healthier, have a blast experimenting with new food & make better eating choices. I'm excited to keep exploring all the other recipes Kris Carr has to offer!
on November 15, 2013
Recipes have too many ingredients . Definitely not for a new vegan. Very discouraging for one just starting out or for one who likes to keep it simple.
on December 3, 2012
I really loved crazy sexy kitchen, and while this cookbook is beautiful and I'm sure the recipes are delicious, you can tell that her co-author and contributors wrote most of the recipes because the ingredient lists are long and most recipes look time consuming. Whenever I get cookbooks from chefs instead of cooks they tend to be that way- lovely but not for every day cooking. The flip side is a recipe for avocado on toast- not exactly revoluationary since I eat this all the time. I was looking to find some insipiration and variety to my vegan cooking but this book is not it. I was hoping for something along the lines of 'every day Italian' or 'every day Mexican' that are quick, delicious, and have relatively short ingredient lists. I was really looking forward to this book but don't think I'll use it much.
77 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse