5.0 out of 5 stars The best R&B CD of the 1990s
Published on May 8, 2002 by The Fancy One

3.0 out of 5 stars Grown Up In A Heartbeat
Surprisingly, TLC remains as popular as they've always been, even after the tragic ending of Lisa Lopes. Nevertheless, the music showcased the full bloom of the beginning of the girl groups of the 1990's. Tionne, Rozanda and the late Lisa can always still hold their heads very high.
The 1994 album, CrazySexyCool, showed a very quick change in the style and music of...
Published on October 3, 2002 by Michael Kerner

5.0 out of 5 stars The best R&B CD of the 1990s, May 8, 2002
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
After the unexpected success of their first CD OOOOOOOHHHH....ON THE TLC TIP, people were wondering if TLC could rise to the occasion the next time around. Well, they didn't. They SURPASSED it with CRAZYSEXYCOOL. They left the tomboyish image behind and presented themselves as mature young ladies, and became the biggest selling female trio in music history (as far as albums go...the Supremes still hold the record for most singles by a female trio). From the time you hear T-Boz's sultry alto vocals croon "Oh wha, oh wha, oh wha" on the first single from this CD, "Creep" you're hooked, and it only gets better as it goes on.
You can listen to this CD, which mixes the sounds of hip-hop, old school soul, new jack swing, funk and gospel, all the way through and not find a bad cut in the bunch. I loved everything on it, my favorites being the aforementioned "Creep", "Kick Your Game", "Case Of the Fake People", "Diggin' On You", the red-hot "Red Light Special", the thought-provoking smash "Waterfalls" (why can't I get the image of TLC standing on water out of my mind?), the funky "If I Were Your Girlfriend" (T-Boz does an excellent job on this remake of the Prince classic), "Switch" and "Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes". No doubt this CD is already a classic, and will continue to be. This CD is one that should be in every household. T-Boz, Left Eye (R.I.P. Lisa aka the Supernova, we love you) and Chilli will forever be CRAZYSEXYCOOL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still "Crazy" After All These Years., September 20, 2002
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
With respect to the Spice Girls, no girl group epitomized TRUE girl power better than TLC on this, their finest album. "CrazySexyCool" is a stick of hip-hop/r&b dynamite that explodes with energy, attitude, and sass. T-Boz croons through the Dallas Austin-produced "Creep," a soundtrack to lovers who sneak on the DL; the ladies borrow lyrics from the O'Jays on the slammin' "Case of the Fake People," and they cruise into steamy territory on Babyface's "Red Light Special." They also do a note-for-note cover of Prince's "If I Was Your Girlfriend." Their cover won't make anyone forget about the original version, but they still pull it off well. But the album's crowning moment is their signature No. 1 hit "Waterfalls." Hearing this album gave me a tinge of sadness now that Lisa Lopes is no longer with us, but her energetic spirit is very much alive on this record. "CrazySexyCool" is one of the best albums of the 1990s, and it gets an A- in my school of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great album is all about., January 29, 2002
Eric Smith (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
"CrazySexyCool" was monumental in the modern pop world. TLC dominated the charts in the mid-90's with their incorporations of Pop and Hip-Hop. Tons of the songs on the albums are hits (Those include "Creep", "Diggin' On You", "Red Light Special" and of course the summer hit and overplayed "Waterfalls."), but my favorites didn't even get released on the radio! In order of the album my favorite songs go as follows: "Case of the Fake People", "Let's Do It Again", "If I was Your Girlfriend", "Switch" and "Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes (Feat. Outkast)." That pretty much covers every song on the album! This CD is one of the few that I can listen to all the way through. That is why I give it five stars. This is what Pop music is all about. There is no profain language (Well, maybe in the one interlude *Phonecall* but it's halarious!) and they include a wide range audience, ranging from the hip-hop crowd to the teeny boppers. If you're thinking of purchasing a TLC album, I reccomend this one out of all of them. It doesn't include much Hip-Hop (Which can be heard in the "FanMail" album) and it's not a first album which usually shows a lack of Maturity ("Ooooooohhh-On the Tlc Tip"). If you heard the songs on the radio and have been contemplating on purchasing "CrazySexyCool" go ahead. Listen to all of the other tracks as well. You won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Crazy, Real Sexy, and Very Cool....TLC, March 8, 2005
Marcus (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
TLC is one of the roots behind other female R&B groups in the business today such as Destiny's Child, Blaque, JS, Floetry, and others. Without TLC, female R&B groups would have nothing to model off of. The Sexy T-Boz, Crazy Left Eye (RIP), and Cool Chilli give all they've got. I love T-Boz's voice throughout the album. She has a sexy, deeper voice for a female which is kind of an aphrodisiac and sets the mood for much of the album (about 70%). Chilli's soft, sweet vocals are also shown on the album. I love the way she can hit those high notes that others can't. She dominates, about 30%, of the album while our crazy girl Left Eye is left with the hooks of some songs. Being the only rapper in an R&B group is pretty tough but Left Eye keeps that slick flow. Every song on this album is a hit!

1. Intro-Lude (10/10) - A hip, sexy way to start the album off with a little rap from some no-name guy.

2. Creep (10/10) - A nice, upbeat song about creeping on their man. The lyrics were very well written.

3. Kick Your Game (10/10) - This song definitely proves that this is a 90s album. It has the feel of a 90s song but it's flow never gets old and it always sounds fresh each time you hear it. I can't help but bop my head to it.

4. Diggin' On You (7/10) - Slowing the album down, TLC let Chilli & T-Boz croon to their male fans out there. The song is kind of boring if you ask me but it isn't terrible. Far from terrible.

5. Case of the Fake People (10/10) - One of my favorite tracks on the album. The song is basically talking about people that you think you know but you actually have no idea about them. They come off as something they aren't. This is a good song for the haters in your life.

6. CrazySexyCool [Interlude] (5/10) - Just an interlude with T-Boz talking about the definition of a woman who is CrazySexyCool.

7. Red Light Special (9/10) - A nice cool off after the upbeat "Case of the Fake People". I absolutely love this song.

8. Waterfalls (10/10) - One of the greatest songs ever recorded by TLC. This song is the song that rose them to stardom. This song not only has a positive message, but uses that message to a hot beat.

10. Intermission-Lude - It's just music from the intro.

11. Let's Do It Again (6/10) - I'm not crazy about this song but it is far from being an album filler.

12. If I Was Your Girlfriend (10/10) - Yet another hit! This song is great. Enough said.

13. Sexy [Interlude] (10/10) - Oh my god! This interlude cracks me up. I never get enough of it. It never gets old! It's so damn funny. Lets just say Chilli calls up some guy (I think it's P.Diddy) and she asks him to help her do something. (Flush)

14. Take Our Time (10/10) - My overall FAVORITE song on the whole album! It's so sexy and cool at the same time. It's probably one of the slowest songs on the album but it sure is amazing. Chilli sure knows how to sing to the fellas because she has got me wanting to take my time.

15. Can I Get a Witness [Interlude] (5/10) - Random interlude with Left Eye and Busta Rhymes. This is one of the few times you see Left Eye featured on a track. Poor Left :(.

16. Switch (8/10) - Nothing to scream about but it's pretty good.

17. Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes (featuring Outkast) (10/10) - A deep and positive song about people and the ways of the world today. André sure has a way with making songs with positive messages. I love this song.

Overall Grade : A-

5.0 out of 5 stars At TLC's best...better than FANMAIL, in my opinion., March 24, 2001
Rebecca (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
I love CRAZYSEXYCOOL. Some people might think it's not as good as FANMAIL, but I disagree! Sure, FANMAIL is pretty good, but CRAZYSEXYCOOL is just so much better! My favorite tracks on this album are: "Creep", "Kick Your Game", "Diggin' On You" -- one of my top 3 favorites, "Red Light Special" -- one of my top 3 favorites, and "Waterfalls" -- the other song on my list of the top 3 songs from this album. All the songs are excellent, but "Diggin' On You", "Red Light Special", and "Waterfalls" are the absolute best tracks on this CD. TLC's voices are amazing on this album and the lyrics are awesome, too. A lot of people may call TLC a Hip-Hop or Pop group. But they are not Hip-Hop or Pop, they are a Soul R&B group! And this album is totally all R&B...nothing more and nothing less. Though TLC went bankrupt with CRAZYSEXYCOOL, this is still their best album and nothing by TLC can top this album - not even their Grammy winning album, FANMAIL. If you're a TLC fan or a fan of R&B and Soul, you must get this album. You will not be disappointed! It's one of the best R&B albums out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars LEFT EYE WE LUV U, April 26, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
REST IN PEACE LISA "LEFT EYE" LOPES OF TLC WHO SADLY DIED IN A CAR CRASH THURSDAY APRIL 25TH, 2002. WE WILL MISS U AND UR MUSIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars You go,Girls!, December 21, 1999
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
For years,I didnt listen to the radio.I wa in a camp, And they play a radio station,and much of that music I hated.then,I started to develop fav songs.I never found out what many of their names where.But,when Fanmail was released,I started looking for Other TLc Cd.Then,I found Crazysexycool.Waterfalls was one of my fav and so was creep. I know own the CD.This Cd is great.Its very sexy,And kinda smart.Their other CD,Fanmail,Is hardly as good.I sereisly recommend picking this thang up.Its great,and a lot better then the new TLC.You will not be dissapointed.Blauqe and Destinys child hardly compare.I hope you love creep,And dont go chaseing waterfalls.........

5.0 out of 5 stars r&b/hip hop girl group classic album, September 3, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
TLC rocked the music industry in 1995 with this great CD which is full of r&b/hip hop soul beats and a lot of groovy funk and sassiness that was done sincerely. They just had the street style they were not trying to be something they're not and that's what makes this album so real. They touch on relationships, social issues and of course good sex :) Other notable albums of the early 90's you'll like along with this compilation are Boyz II Men II; Brandy, Monica Miss Thang; janet; Aaliyah Age Aint Nothing But a Number; Mary J Blige My Life; Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. The mid 90's was a fabulous time for r&b/hip hop music but it hasn't quite been the same since.

5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY!!, November 24, 2004
This review is from: CrazySexyCool (Audio CD)
I cannot believe that 10 years has passed since TLC unleased this album on the world. Bill Clinton was prez, O.J. ran away from the cops, Seinfeld was #1, and America was in love with Ini Kamoze's the "Hotstepper". Way back in the winter of 1995, "Creep" found its way to the #1 spot on the charts. "Red Light Special" and "Diggin' On You" made it in the spring. And then that funky summer there was "Waterfalls". You could enjoy this CD even if you were into alternative grundge rock, it was that good. The tunes were smooth and had a slick groove to them. Left Eye we love and miss you. Definetly invest sometime into hearing this poignant music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once in Lifetime CD from a Once in a Lifetime Group, August 1, 2011
This review is from: Crazysexycool (MP3 Music)
When I was a kid, EVERYONE had a copy of this cd. But everyone had a copy of Limp Bizkit's 3 Dollar Bill Y'all and Spice World, too. Hindsight is 20/20. This is a rare shining example of pop music that is actually GOOD.

The reason this cd did so well was because it really captured the essence of the time period. If you start with just the songs that were released as singles, its easy to see why the cd had the success it did. I believe "Creep" came out first, followed by "Red Light Special" and the mega-hit "Waterfalls," and then "Diggin On You." I don't remember a song from the 90s rivaling the airplay, video play, and overall success of "Waterfalls," which warned of the dangers of sexual promiscuity and violence. "Red Light Special," and "Creep" brought the normal female seductress ballad to a new level of sexual intensity and introspection, which parallels what was going on in the culture at large, as women began using their sexuality as an asset, instead of a hindrance to cover up or be modest about.

TLC brought that infectious new jack/r&b style to an audience who embraced the fresh mix of harmony and Left Eye's frank rap interludes. "Lets Do It Again," "If I was your Girlfriend" (a prince cover), and "Take our Time" are similar to "Red Light Special" and "Diggin On You." "Case of the Fake People," samples "Backstabbers" by the O'Jays. "Switch" is more hip hop than r&b, and its a really fun song. My personal favorite is the end track, "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which features Dre from Outkast before they were big. Left Eye is featured heavily on this song, and with Dre, she creates the darkest moments of the cd, but perhaps the most beautiful also. If "Waterfalls" had a complete opposite or doppleganger, it would be "Somethin Wicked."

I recommend this to EVERYONE. If you were around in the 90s, it'll be a great trip down memory lane, and if you weren't, its a great place to start to get the feel of the 90s. This cd OWNED the charts, the award shows, the airwaves, and the people's hearts in the mid 90s.

Crazysexycool