Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creating Space: The Case for Everyday Creativity
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 28, 2012
I just had my second baby and feel like I do mundane things nonstop to keep everyone alive. This book makes me want to grasp for something more, something beautiful and risky, something that's worth spending some creative energy on. Ed inspires you, gives you permission and challenges you to create in whatever form you feel led to create. I'm looking forward to sewing tomorrow:)
on November 23, 2012
When I met Ed Cyzewski this summer at STORY 2012, he literally created space for me: He invited me to sit with his writerly tribe at lunch. He asked me about what I'd like to write someday. He shared stories and validated ideas.

In "Creating Space," Cyzewski does the same thing, but, you know, in an e-book.

It's a brief, 30-page manifesto that agrees, as Americans and as Christians, it can be a struggle for us to find a place for something so impractical as creativity. And it argues we should anyway.

"Whether or not it's convenient or efficient, creativity is healthy and necessary," Cyzewski said.

The simple delight and wonder of creating -- writing, drawing, singing, crafting, you name it -- pulls us off the industrial conveyor belt. It benefits others. It benefits us. It's the way God designed you to fully live. It's "a holy discontent that has been placed inside you," he said.

This e-book is the encouragement and permission to create that space to do that. And maybe that's just what you need. I know I did.
on December 3, 2012
I have to agree with the other 4-5 star reviews that preceded mine. This book is a grab you by the collar, look you in eyes, reach down into your soul, grab you by your muse hell of a good motivational exercise. It is short, simple, down to terra firma guide to your creative self. I especially found it to strike chord with me personally. Some of us have deduced that humankind IS creative as we all come from a creative source. Shockingly simple. Not necessarily revolutionary thinking, but delivered in a very intimate format. I will read this book again and again.
on November 28, 2012
This book was great. I have been on the journey for the last year of understanding that I am creative. Ed's words hit me right where I often question myself. Am I really creative? Why do we need to be creative? He also addresses one of our most difficult challenges. Is it convenient? I love what he says about this.

"Whether or not it's convenient or efficient, creativity is healthy an dnecessary. Some kind of creativity has been hard-wired into all of us. It's aching to come out of you."

You will not be disappointed in this book. Believe that you are creative, and start doing something about it!
on December 27, 2012
Although I am a fairly creative person, I have struggled to give myself permission to be creative in areas where I don't excel. I only risk creativity when I think the outcome will be acceptable. This is a wonderful articulation of the importance of creativity in an of itself - the process, and not merely the product. Very encouraging and inspiring.
on August 12, 2014
This book was short and sweet and right to the point of the matter. Creation is an act that takes time away from everything else in life that may or may not be important to you but will be the most rewarding activity you'll experience. This book reads like the authors personal testament to how creativity can help a person in their daily lives. It does have religious connotations about gifts from God and all that other stuff but it doesn't deter from the overall message of the book. I only rated it three stars because while the book is heavy on the motivational aspect, it doesn't offer much else beyond that scope. It basically tells you the problem with not being creative but doesn't offer much practical solutions for getting to that point.
on November 23, 2012
I received an Advanced Copy of this book to review.

In this book, Creating Space: The Case for Everyday Creativity, Ed Cyzewski gives creative people permission, in a way, to be creative (it's along the lines of Jeff Goins' You Are A Writer). There are five short chapters:

Why Create?
Sandcastles
Safety
Gifts
Something

Each chapter begins with a story as an example of what the chapter will be about, and the stories and chapters tie together nicely. The book is one of those types of books that quietly encourage and inspire a person to continue to pursue his or her calling to be creative.

Ed writes: "This is a call, an invitation, a challenge, and a shove to let your creative gifts come to life and to sustain them" (7). For those of us who struggle with whether or not we are doing what we are meant to be doing creatively, this is the permission to do so. Throughout the book, Ed gives examples and advice that anyone creative can relate to, and shows how to continue being creative and why it is important despite the negative thoughts one may have.

This book helped me to think about my writing, how I sabotage myself (getting distracted!), and made me want to work to be better.
on January 26, 2015
Not bad, but not great either. I was hoping to find some major inspiration to create. or, at least I was hoping for a good book to hand people when they ask why you are wasting time drawing etc. This book is ok at both of those tasks, but nothing in it is terribly earth shattering. Was hoping for better.
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2012
"This is a call, an invitation, a challenge, and a shove to let your creative gifts come to life and to sustain them," writes Ed Cyzewski. "I don't use the word `gifts' lightly. We have been given creativity for a reason. We nurture it because creativity has been woven into the fabric of our world. Whether you believe that's by divine design or by random chance, the place of creativity in our world is unmistakable."

In "Creating Space: The Case for Everyday Creativity," Cyzewski makes his case - and a compelling one - for creativity, that it's not only for kids and a few artistic types. His definition of creativity is broad enough to include cooking, painting, drawing, sculpture, pottery, dancing, writing, sports, knitting/sewing/crocheting, woodworking, gardening and drama, and he says that list is only a small sample.

He goes on to explain how to access your creativity, what can choke it off, why creativity is not a self-centered enterprise, and how to avoid "playing it safe." It's a clarion call to "go ye therefore and create."
on January 31, 2013
I loved it!

During the past few months, I've had my own similar personal reasoning and thoughts on "justifying" why my time spent creating is important. The author excellently articulated the concept and gave me more inspiration and motivation.

The author writes from a Christian perspective, but if you aren't a Christian, don't pass this book by! He doesn't write from a heavy-handed religious perspective. If you believe or wonder if there is a higher being, just substitute that belief in the places the author mentions God.

I've recommended this book to friends who enjoy photography and art. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys creating in any form, from baking, knitting, crafting, sewing, etc. - not just visual art.

Creating Space is one of my favorite kindle purchases.