on March 30, 2013
There is a major flaw with the more expensive ZX model of this product. The Audio Control Module (ACM) that you are paying about $50 more, LOWERS the QUALITY of the audio signal versus plugging your headphones directly into the back of the sound card.

Seriously, how has no one else caught this? I checked online and found no one complaining about this. So, I thought my ACM was defective. Amazon kindly sent me a replacement. I got the replacement and plugged the new ACM into the back of the sound card and then plugged my headphones in the ACM. SAME ISSUE. (I tried both the 3.5mm and 1/4in plugs) I then changed out the sound card with the new replacement card and reinstalled the software and drivers just to be sure.....SAME ISSUE.

If you already own this.....and you love the ACM....you most likely did not compare it to the sound when your headphones are plugged directly into the back of the sound card.

I noticed this dramatically because I did not use the ACM for the first week or so. I did all my initial testing in music and gaming without it. As soon as I plugged it in I thought something was wrong with my headphones or the sound card went bad on me. I quickly discovered that it was solely the AMC.

PLUGGED INTO THE ACM
- The sound is significantly softer making me believe that the built in AMP is being weakened by the ACM. This is a bigger issue for those that have high impedance headphones

- Second it affects the balance and quality of sound. For example: While playing COD Black Ops 2 - I immediately noticed that the sound of my gun was muffled and recessed even at the same volume level. I then plugged my headphones directly into the back of the sound card...and it is so much better! Everything is louder, clearer, and precise. Don't believe me, try it out for yourself. I also immediately noticed that my music sounded worse playing through the ACM. The surround sound effect through the ACM sounds more tinny and echoy.

So bottom line....the ACM degrades the sound quality significantly (I tested this with two ACMs). It baffles me that both Sound Blaster and Consumers have not noticed this issue with the ACM. I did find a forum of audiophiles debating if the ACM would degrade the sound quality and amp....but there was no definite answer and the topic ended with the assumption that it did not since Sound Blaster said it is the superior model.

Please mark this review as helpful so others can see it before spending the extra money on this model...and if they do, hopefully they will do the sound test themselves and compare the sound difference. How knows, maybe I got two bad AMC in a row? I highly doubt it though.

The Sound Card itself is very good and I highly recommend the Sound Blaster Z (not ZX)purchase to anyone. Great PC sound and software for customizing your preference of sound. You can plug in your gaming console via Toslink/spdif cable and and use the software for superior virtual surround effect (compared to Astro Mixamp or DSS/2)and customize your console gaming sound as well. The only down side to that, is that you need your PC to be on while you play a console game. Again, I highly recommend the Sound Card. Save yourself $50 and get the Z model.

UPDATE - 4/20/13

So, I have brought this issue up with others on Head-Fi (audiophile website forums). Many others have tested this out for themselves and have reported back with the same problem. There have been many differnt headphones used and the problem exists with all of them (Superlux HS668b, Ultrasone Pro900, Sony V-6, Sennheiser 558...ect).

It is worth noting that while the ACM degrades audio quality, the built in microphone on the ACM is better than the microphone on the Z model. I have tested out both mics and compared them with my Zalman Zm-Mic1 ($8) and the Zx mic is on par with the Zalman - while the Z model mic is not as good.

Also, it seems the people with the ZxR model ($250) are not noticing a big difference in audio quality with the ACM. That does not mean it does not degrade the audio - but those I have conversed with on Head-fi stated that the audio was not significantly affected. So, MAYBE the ZxR model has a better ACM.

UPDATE: 6/6/13:
Here is a link to the Head-fi forum where I first started this conversation. The conversation goes on for several pages of the forum. My username on Head-fi is Povell42

Link: [...]

Here is a link to the same forum (pg 31) where others agree with me and the user phrozenspite confirms that the same issue happens with his ZXR Model.

Link: [...]
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2014
As both a gamer and audio enthusiast, I have always chosen a sound card over an integrated audio chip for two reasons.

1) A decent sound card generally features higher quality DACs (Digital audio converters) and Amps than an integrated solution, allowing for cleaner, richer, more accurate sound.
2) Hardware DSPs (Digital Signal Processors) provided mixing capabilities that offloaded mixing tasks from the CPU. This allowed for hardware accelerated 3D positional audio in games where all audio effects were processed directly on the card. This was particularly important in the early days of gaming when CPU cycles were at a premium.

Unfortunately the advantages of such cards aren't nearly as clear today. Microsoft eliminated hardware accelerated audio from its audio stack in Windows Vista and it's been that way since. As such, most applications (including games and the OS itself) perform all mixing in software by default. Although it is still possible to bypass the Windows mixer and send audio data directly to the soundcard to be processed, only the most audio conscious applications can do this.

So is there any reason to purchase a dedicated sound card in today's day and age? And if you're an existing sound card owner, is there any reason to upgrade?

Absolutely.

I was skeptical at first, but then I took a chance and picked up this card when Amazon dropped the price (I had Best Buy price match it for me). Unlike the Creative sound cards that came before it, the Z was designed to over come the aforementioned challenges. Let's see how the Z still covers the two reasons to own a sound card listed above.

1) The Sound Blaster Z has excellent Burr-Brown DACs, capable of outputting a maximum resolution of 24-bit / 192Khz audio with a SNR of 116dB. This pushes the theoretical limits of human hearing, and provides a crystal clear, balanced sound that you won't get from most integrated audio chips. The DAC is one of the most critical components in reproducing an analog sound that is as close to the original as possible.

Previous Creative cards featured decent Cirrus Logic DACs that could output close to that resolution. However, a few major problems often prevented the sound from ever reaching the DAC in "bit-perfect" condition, and failed to achieving the highest resolution the DAC supported. For one thing, the DSP which provided the advantage of hardware accelerated mixing also came with a price: it could not achieve the true 24-bit / 96 or 192Khz audio that the DAC supported. Another problem was that Windows would resample the sound before sending it to the sound card DSP where it would get resampled again (unless the user or application used an API to bypass the Windows mixer). Multiple sample rate conversions can introduce artifacts into the sound.

Although the Z still has this problem with its DSP (the SoundCore 3D chip), the Z's much improved driver package offers a method (called "Stereo Direct") that allows you to bypass the DSP altogether, allowing for bit-perfect playback providing you bypass the Windows mixer with ASIO, WASAPI exclusive mode or OpenAL. This is great for music playback unless you want to let the Z enhance the sound in some way (upscale to 5.1, use the crystallizer to enhance lossy music, use virtual surround for headphones, etc). Either way, you can enable and disable the DSP as you please. When the DSP is disabled and the Windows Mixer is bypassed, the sound goes straight through the DAC to your speakers unaltered. Be warned if you do this, however. Not even Windows nor the Creative SBX control panel can alter the volume in this state, but that's usually what audio purists want.

2) Now what about when you want to take advantage of the DSP? Aren't all DSP effects handled in software unless you bypass the Windows Mixer? Yes and no. When Creative made Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 drivers for the Sound Blaster X-FI, they implemented most DSP effects for gaming and music (like EAX and CMSS3D) in software. As a result, things like CMSS3D and EAX effects would drop as soon as you switched to WASAPI exclusive mode. The only way you could get the DSP to apply these effects in hardware was by using OpenAL.

With the Z, most effects are applied in hardware even when bypassing the Windows Mixer (assuming the DSP is turned on). With the Z I was still able to have CMSS3D and other DSP effects when using WASAPI exclusive mode. The same could not be said for the X-FI where those DSP effects were only handled by the hardware when using OpenAL.

But does that even matter? I think so. I'd rather have the high end hardware on the Z process the sound than let software do it (especially Windows). As for games, DSP effects such as EAX will still be handled in software if the game uses Direct Sound for audio. Nevertheless, as I understand it, other gaming DSP enhancements in the SBX control panel such as Scout Mode, Crystal Voice and 3D positional enhancements are applied to the sound in the hardware DSP *after* the game / Windows pass it to the card.

Overall, this is a great card that provides some clear advantages over its predecessors. If you are considering this as someone who is new to sound cards, it is a worthy purchase if you want an enhanced gaming experience or quality audio in general. If you are thinking about upgrading from a previous Creative card, do it, even if only for the fact that the card has better drivers and can be fully utilized in Windows Vista / 7 / 8.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2012
Coming from an Xtreme Muisc this was a huge leap. The sound is clearer and the surround sound that replaces cmss-3d is better at creating directional audio. It's almost hard to explain jumping into a game you know and having it sound totally different and more detailed. This card is basically a X-FI with a core3d chip which is what the recon3d should have been. I am not sure how much of a difference it would be coming from a Titanium HD but if you have an older X-FI or a terrible recon3d this is worth a purchase
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2012
Does a great job adding bass to the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 cans I have using their control panel (SBX Pro Studio) and bass boost setting, which also lets you set the crossover frequency. I found the default settings, 80hz, and 50% on the slider, worked great... so there's room for even more bass than I find necessary. It can also be added via the equalizer which can do a somewhat better job, and the settings can be saved for each pair of headphones or genre.

Now I no longer need to buy the high impedance cans I was looking at, the cans I have currently get the job done (Sennheiser HD-558, Fischer FA-003, and ATH-AD700), so essentially this sound card has saved me a couple hundred bucks. I find the preset Equalizer settings such as 'rock' and 'classical' work very well and have tweaked the equalizer to my liking to give each pair of cans what I'm looking for in them.

Great for gaming too, the extra effects over the onboard sound are worth it. Great for people with home theater setups, with the optical out on the back. Easily best bang for the buck card out there, and eliminates the need for a headphone amp for all but the most picky audiophiles, since it includes a 600 ohm headphone amp built in. Mine came with the gold nicheon capacitors as well.

With the monster size of the heatsink on my sandy bridge setup, the card barely fit into the small PCI express slot on my motherboard though. I have about one of the largest aircooled heatsinks available so I can't imagine it not fitting unless you have the 120mm fans positioned bottom to top. Mine were positioned side to side so they covered up the RAM instead. Make sure you have clearance.

Installs on Windows 8 without issue using the installation disc provided.

Are there people I would recommend skip buying a sound card? If you don't game, and use low impedance headphones, especially if you are playing anything except 320K MP3 files or FLAC files, you may not need this card. Good headphones and sound cards pick up the flaws in compressed files. I found my onboard very good with music, even using FLAC files, if the headphones were low impedance. It just couldn't amplify the bass the way this card can. Testing included FLAC files of Metallica, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Heart, Ozzy, among others.

Bottom line, your chain is only as strong as your weakest link. Pair this card with a good set of cans and some high quality music to get the most out of it. :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2013
I thought I didn't need a sound card because my motherboard, Rampage 4 Formula, came with really good onboard sound. I bought it anyway and I'm really glad I did. There is a distinct difference between this and the onboard sound, it's clearer and amplified and has an equalizer that I love. The lights on this card are really bright and will most likely overpower what ever lights you have in you rig so if your theme is red great but if not beware. If you thought your onboard sound was great believe me this is better and I play BF3 with no problems, buy this.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2014
Loving this sound card. Recently upgraded my computer, and sadly wasn't able to use my old sound card (X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional PCI) because my new motherboard (ASRock z97 Extreme6) doesn't have any PCI slots. Anyway, I did some research, and after several inquiries I decided to take people's advice and stick with onboard audio (Realtek ALC1150 "Purity Sound 2"). I mostly game but I also listen to music (high bitrate MP3 and some FLAC). I don't have audiophile headphones, but I have a decent gaming headset (Sennheiser HD350). First thing I noticed with with onboard audio was that it wasn't very loud at all. I played with all settings I could find and my audio simply wasn't loud. It sounded okay, and volume levels were acceptable, but it wasn't LOUD. Games seemed fine, no real complaints.

Anyway, I got this sound card during Black Friday 2014, and immediately I noticed a HUGE difference upon installing it. It sounds absolutely AMAZING! I'll be honestly, I didn't do alot of comparative testing between this and onboard, but after using onboard the last month I had a pretty good idea of what I had going on. Going to this new card was night and day difference. Obviously, right? Dedicated sound card -vs- onboard.

The purpose of my review is to help people who were in a position similar as me. Basically, if you have an old dedicated sound card and are wondering if your brand new motherboard's onboard audio is going to be good enough or better. I'm here to tell you that the answer is more than likely going to be "no". If you had a dedicated sound card before, then you should probably upgrade that also because you WILL noticed a big difference when you go back to onboard audio. Even if it is "newer" onboard audio. There is simply no comparison. Realtek's ALC1150 codec is supposed to be a very capable sound card, at least I was told by several people. Don't fall for it. If you can afford the $75 for a sound then I highly suggest paying the money. The difference is huge, at least it was for me.

My only real complaint is the BRIGHT RED LEDs on this card. Like, seriously, they are a very tacky touch in my opinion. I know some people like them, which is cool, but I really think Creative should have made these LED's controllable through software. Thankfully you can remove the shroud and cover them up with electrical tape, but still.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 20, 2012
First, off, let me preface this by telling you a bit about the card I am switching from. The HW on the ASUS Xonar Phoebus is actually better than the HW for the Sound Blaster ZX. That said, the SW and driver support of the ASUS Xonar Phoebus is complete crap - so much so, that you actually have to move the card around to different PCI slots to get it to recognize the card needs a firmware update. The SW is very confusing, and they can't even bother to label the ports correctly in the installation guide, resulting in several people connecting their cards incorrectly. That is the reason I snagged one of the first SoundBlaster ZX's when I saw some available on here on Tuesday.

The installation went very smooth, and the external breakout box / audio control module is very solid, well designed (in this case, actually better than the Xonar Phoebus's). One nice feature is that you can leave the headphones plugged in and switch between them and speaker through the SW so you aren't having to plug/unplug cords which could degrade the connector over time.

The SoundBlaster ZX does not require a power cable like the Xonar Phoebus, yet is still has a headphone amplifier built in.

The SW is excellent, easy to understand, and the documentation is sparse but accurate (unlike the Xonar Phoebus as mentioned above). The 3D positional audio for headphones is better than for the Xonar Phoebus.

Overall sound quality is great and I played some Max Payne 3 through my headphones last night which has an excellent orchestral jazz soundtrack. Sound was clear and noise free and I was able to hear small nuances/background sounds like people arguing in the background in a hotel room my character was in. I then switched to The Secret World through a 5.1 speaker system, and also had no issues. The positional audio worked great and sounds were placed in appropriate locations.

One note for those of you that pre-ordered this on Amazon. You can't rely on Amazon here (and I love Amazon, but I have to ding them on this one). I had mine pre-ordered for two weeks. It was just luck that I logged on and saw 7 available on Tuesday) - yet when I checked my order, it still hadn't shipped with no estimation of when it would be available). I immediately ordered one with next day delivery (Prime customer, so only $3.99) and cancelled my previous order. This is the first time Amazon has failed me in this way.
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2013
I was pretty surprised at how good this sound card performs. I'm using a pair of Ultrasone HFI's.

I'm coming from an HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard, and while this card may not be quite as good for accuracy and music, it does really well for gaming. Positional audio is excellent and I'm easily able to discern footsteps and directional sounds. The manual EQ is also very good and it would do you well to spend 20 minutes or so minutes dialing it in.

The HT Omega had better options for tweaking virtual surround, while this card just has a single slider. But that said it does work well.

While gaming I have the following set:
Surround 70%
Crystalizer 15%
Bass 40%

I've never used Scout mode in game. While it may make positional audio stand out more, it seems to do so at the expense of sound quality. Sounds like crap.

For music I disable Surround and Crystalizer, and it sounds pretty good, and I'm able to save profiles for both game and music.

For $100? Card is great.

Red light is pretty bright.

EDIT: After using this sound card for about 6 months now, I can say that Creative's notorious reputation for s****y drivers is well deserved. If you don't do anything with the SB control panel you should be fine, but if you try to change settings it will frequently lock up or just not respond, sometimes requiring a reboot. Using Windows 7 64bit. Docked 2 stars from my review.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 20, 2012
Gigabyte 990FXA UD3
Geforce 660 Ti
Vizio 3D LED 42" TV
Corsair TX850W Power supply

As a an avid audiophile user myself I love details and clarity. I usually upgrade every 2 years but after owning a X-Fi Titanium fatality I couldn't find a reason to upgrade since the sound quality was top notch in my opinion. I saw the recon3D came out and passed it on by as it didn't appear by reviews nor users seemed to be really happy about it. I figured I would be with the X-Fi for some time. I was mistaken as after seeing the features of the SoundBlaster Z and the price point I couldn't refuse. But my expectation were low.

I couldn't be more wrong. I have it paired up with a 5.1 Klipsh Quintet system and a newer Denon AVR 3D receiver. With this setup and the much improved signal to noise ration rated at 116db it was more than noticeable with my setup of the vastly improved quality of the SoundBlaster Z. When I hear the audio come through using the DTS and Dolby Digital through the optical link my mouth hit the floor. INCREDIBLE! I heard sounds that I thought the X-Fi put through clearly and the Z just blew it out of the water. The clarity, the range certainly paired up with my Denon and Klipsch speakers is getting the full benefits of it all now. My system was held back by the X-Fi inferior processing and quality.

Your going to hear that there isn't much improvement over X-Fi and that's ridiculous as the reviewers obviously didn't test it on a high fidelity setup where your going to more than notice it. The Dolby Digital EX and DTS Neo sounds awesome.
Gaming has been taking into a new dimension. The scout mode is flawless. With my Chimera 5.1 5.8ghz Razer headset I can hear exactly where the steps and shots are coming from. Up, down, right or left I can respond much faster using the scout mode and it's vibrant and clear. Furthermore,comparing this to the onboard audio just isn't even a comparison. Gigabyte touts nice audio from the Azalia but the SoundBlaster just puts it to complete shame. The difference is so astounding you'll see just how much junk the motherboard maker puts on the motherboard. It's painful now to listen to the onboard audio. If you think the onboard audio is good enough think again. Creative claims its 33 times better. After you hear it you'll agree with that statement.

Another aspect is the beam forming microphone. Finally, out goes the mono microphone and it's so small and with the design on it easily fits on top of my 42" LED 3D TV. It's an incredible microphone as I'm 10 feet away from the TV and in a normal voice it picks me up and my friends through chat can hear me just fine. I also have a Windtunnel fan in my room that really makes a lot of noise. They can't hear it! I'm impressed as I would always have turned off the fan as it introduced noise. Furthermore, I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 Premium and that accuracy rate is definitely improved on the Z. At 10 feet away from the mic I can speak normal and it never misses a word and auto corrections significantly reduced. Again, the soundblaster Z shines through here.

And as a final note this was used on windows 8 pro. And as some of you may find out the Dolby Digital Live and DTS Neo doesn't work with the X-fI drivers from Creative any longer. This issue is now functional as the drivers included off the disc work right out of the box. And that brings up another nice point. Creative has unbloated the software. It's not so bloated that it bogs your system resources down and takes a long time to install. It's apparent to me they designed this card from the bottom up. So far all the featuers work. I've used the EQ and it's nice, scout mode, special effects. And saving the custom profiles work just fine. I haven't experienced any crashing on Windows 8 at all and the drivers and software seem fairly stable. The receiver picks up the Dolby and the DTS and instantly switches mode without a hitch. It's rock solid and not bloated and much more simplified interface than in the past. My favorite feature is the switch to go from headphone to my speakers instantly. That was a well needed feature.

My favorite thing about the Z? Everything. It surpassed my expectations as I didn't exptect much over my X-fi Titanium and I wouldn't dare send this back after hearing it I just can't give it up. It was a worthy upgrade over my X-Fi Titanium Fatality. The Dolby Digital Live and DTS Neo work flawlessly through the optical connected to my Denon receiver and Chimeria 5.1 headset. What an amazing audio and gaming experience. Just incredible.....just keep in mind without a setup like mine with higher quality receiver and speakers you won't hear the full benefit. But the SoundBlaster Z left with me a smile on my face and now I feel like Im getting the money I paid into this high end sound system. It was the sound card as the bottle neck the whole time and the Z just fixed that. Impressive. Creative deserves the highest marks for this card and for those with similar setups I urge you that you won't be unhappy with the upgrade coming from an X-Fi. The reviewers said it wouldn't be much difference. They didn't test it on a higher end system. They couldn't be more wrong about it get it and find out for yourself. I'll put my reputation on the line in this review that you won't be sorry you did or you'll ding me for if the review helped you or not.
Go for it you'll hear it don't take my word for it. Your going to love what you hear. Just amazing!
5858 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2014
I had ordered this sound card for a new PC build I had done, and I was pretty excited about it. My on-board audio left much to be desired, and I figured a headphone amp would vastly improve my listening experience.

Ever since I plugged this into my motherboard, I have had nothing but problems. I am using the driver provided for Windows 8.1 and so many things have gone wrong. The unit itself seems fine, but the drivers that Creative provide are downright awful. Since the release of this model, only two driver updates were ever released. One was in April 2013 and another in July 2013. When it did work, it sounded great! However this sound card never worked consistently.

So far I have had the following issues:

- When switching from headphone to speaker mode, the sound cuts off completely. This happens when I'm playing a game or watching a video. The only way to remedy this is to completely restart the game or reload the video.
- Random drops in sound volume. I would have to go into the Volume Mixer and manually put the slider back.
- Occasional crackling and buzzing noises, which I have no idea how to permanently fix. I'd have to reboot my computer for it to go away.

Unfortunately the above problems really made me regret buying this and I'm back to on-board audio until I can find a suitable replacement. I highly recommend looking elsewhere for a sound card, after my experience I'll most likely never buy another Creative product again.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...