Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on May 19, 2016
My problem with this card is simple. I got the card installed finally after several tries but the software doesnt recognize any device associated with it. This leaves me with no control of the card. I would appreciate a little help from Amazon.
on December 5, 2012
Don't buy this if you want to have both headphones and speakers plugged into the card at the same time. There is a hardware switch that disables the other outputs when headphones are plugged in, and there is no way to switch between outputs without physically unplugging your headphones from the card.
This won't be an issue for all users, or for users who run their headphones through a plug in their desktop speakers. For my setup, it's ridiculous. It's such a waste to buy a card with all the appropriate outputs and then discover they can't be put to use without pulling my computer out and fiddling around with the cables.
I really want to love this card. The sound is great, but this very simple hardware issue keeps me from recommending this to anyone who wants to use both speakers and headphones with this card.
on February 11, 2013
+ Superb sound
+ SPDIF optical out to receiver using DTS makes my stereo music into 5.1 surround sound

- Poor drivers (Problems using standard Windows sound control panel, forced to use Creative's software)
- Very unstable (reinstalled drivers 3 times in the past 2 months because card goes missing)
- Non standard optical cable makes it easy to snap off inside of card
on April 2, 2014
I personally did not like this. I felt like the audio quality got destroyed when the surround mode was enabled. I returned it. I did better just getting a better pair of headphones for positional sound cues in games
on September 24, 2011
Wow. Man, have I been missing out. I'm still pretty new to the PC hobby and have only build two computers so far and always figured a sound card like this one wouldn't be much better than and onboard audio device. I couldn't have been more wrong. I coulpled this beast with my Denon AV reciever and ... WOW! Entertainment mode is awesome for music and movies. After I enabled THX TruStudio Pro and fiddled with some of the options in the Creative Control Panel, my 5.1 system came to life! The "you get what you pay for" phrase couldn't be more true in this case. For a few extra bucks you get one sweet sounding PC.

Haven't tried it in Game Mode yet because I installed it a few hours ago but I'll update my review as soon as I try it out.

Usually I try and wait a couple weeks to write a review but I'm so happy with it I had to write one sooner.

EDIT: 1/7/11 :: The following edit is why I wait to write a review:

Don't bother putting the audio output device to "Speakers" mode. Studio Pro is basically a pseudo DD or DTS signal and only works when you are in "Speaker" output. SPDIF is the way to go.

Here's the breakdown of what I did comparing my motherboard's on-board HD audio device and this card:

It seems I went about getting a sound card before I did enough research (Stupid, I know). As it turns out my ASUS Z68 motherboard can do the EXACT same thing as this card as far as audio output goes. I don't do audio creation so I can't expand on that aspect of this card but let me tell you this: WASTE OF MONEY if you have a motherboard that has HD audio like my Z68 Deluxe and you don't do audio creation. Studio Pro is a joke too; The only decent thing in Studio Pro is the crystalizer for music. If you mainly watch Blu-Ray and/or DVD's on your PC and you have a Toslink audio out on your motherboard, don't bother getting this card because both the card AND the motherboard will output DD or DTS 5.1 ONLY if your audio output device is SPDIF (digital optical [Toslink])

In fact, I did a complete uninstall of the card's software and only installed the latest driver to see if the software actually did anything. After I wiped all the software and re-installed the drivers from creative's website and let my receiver do the work as far as splitting channels for music and so on, I poped in Live Free or Die Hard. I normally set my receiver at Multi-channel stereo or ProLogic Music as a default. When the movie started, my receiver switched from ProLogic Music and started to decoded DTS signal for both the motherboard and sound card's audio stream making this card useless as far as cinema goes seeing that my motherboard can do the same thing... And on top of that, All the software is useless anyway when you use SPDIF as your audio output device, which happens to be the ONLY way to get your receiver to decode a true DTS signal.

Bottom line... It's pretty useless if you have HD audio on you motherboard and your PC hooked up to a good 5.1 AV receiver. Most newer motherboards make a sound card obsolete.

The only reason I am giving it a two star rating and not lower is because the crystalizer is nice for music and I get speaker separation for games when in game mode ONLY if set to Stereo Xpand and NOT Stereo surround. Which, again, only works if you are set to "speakers" audio output device.

Terrible card for cinema enthusiasts.
Decent card for games.
Not very good for music either.

Not worth 140ish dollars, that's for sure.

Oh one more thing. When the output device is set to SPDIF you get DD 5.1 from iTunes movies in Windows. Which works for both my motherboard audio as well as the card. I was happy when I figured this out because I have about 50 movies from iTunes.
on July 22, 2014
No mic in boost. You have got to be kidding me, am I supposed to scream at the top of my lungs into my mic?

Also Creative Labs drivers are the worst. Its nice hardware but really, I play a lot of CSGO and this card doesn't even sound any better even with the ALchemy hardware stuff enabled. Lame.
on May 27, 2013
Scratchy noises upon Windows 8 Startup, which was not the case with Windows 7 before upgrading the Windows 8 several months ago..
on August 7, 2011
I bought this sound card to replace my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro and was disappointed. The card just wasn't producing the same sounds i got from the older card. The volume level wasn't as high either. normally i could keep the volume sitting around 30% (system volume level) but with the HD i had to raise that to 40% to get something that sounded just as loud. There is also no 7.1 surround sound. All i could get was 5.1 so i was missing 2 speakers.

There was also an issue with how the items came to me. The box the card came in was in rough shape (not the shipping box but the box that held the card). There were scratches all over the box and the card it self was also scratched a bit on the outer edge.

Sending back and putting my old X-Fi card back in.
on December 19, 2011
I am very interested in purchasing this seemingly excellent sound card. I do no gaming and am interested in it for it's stereo audio qualities. The hesitancy I have is that by all accounts, the ONLY way to switch between listening via speakers to headphones, is to connect and disconnect the headphones from the jack on the sound card. Having even a headphone extension cable plugged into the sound card jack disables the RCA speaker outputs. This then means to switch you must access the rear panel of your computer each time you do so.... lots of moving of cabinets and/or crawling around on knees to do this. There appears to be no workaround or software fixes to remedy this. Is this correct?
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had high hopes, but when the installation software asked if I wanted to check online for an update, and I clicked "yes", it proceeded to try to find my telephone to dial up an internet connection. I got a sinking feeling. (I was already on line, of course.)

I skipped the update-thing, and installed it as-is. The card only has left and right analog connectors: everything else is handled by a single optical connector. That makes it not a good choice for some people, but I was connecting it to my Logitech Z-5500 THX System, which has an optical input, so no problem, right?

I plugged the optical connector into the card, and before plugging it into the Z-5500, checked that the optical signal was active (by simply looking down into the end of it). It was. I switched the Z-5500 to accept optical input and ...

...no sound. I checked this, checked that, retry, yada yada ... an hour later, I rebooted to turn my motherboard sound processor back on, and plugged my connectors back to where they were before.

I tried looking for a troubleshooting section, both in the installed software and on the company site, but found no joy.

I'll try again in a few days, but for right now a caution on this one.