Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on May 25, 2010
The "Create Your Own Review Form" has a very telling question it asks on the right side of our screens.

Q: "What would you have wanted to know before you purchased the product?"
A: That it would break in 2 months and Creative offers terrible support.

Appearance, Comfort, Sound Quality, Microphone Quality, Packaging all receive high marks. The multicolor LEDs are a nice touch inside each of the ear modules and the otherwise black color scheme is appealing, though it seems the entire thing is made out of (easily broken) plastic. Comfort of the piece is top notch. I am the raid leader for my WoW guild so I am regularly wearing these headphones for 4 or more hours and neither the inside of my ears or the top of them where my glasses sit would feel uncomfortable. The microphone quality is perfectly fine, my guild mates on Ventrilo did not complain of a poor quality sound from my end. Packaging was also well done though you do not receive an installation CD and have to go onto the internet to download it. Sound quality is very satisfying since it is THX certified it does not disappoint.

Ease of Use, Features, and Wireless Range all leave something to desire. Ease of use is relatively hassle free, if it weren't for the fact that once every two weeks I randomly lose my signal and it takes me several minutes to resync the USB dongle and the headset. This would not be such a hassle, had it not occurred twice during a raid. We refrain from buying wireless mouses for the same reason, there are some things that just cannot have issues when we are relying on them. The features, mainly the program that allows the adjustment of LED color and your voice, is rather gimmicky. As much as you think you might want to sound like Malganis or Deconstructor-XT , nobody else will want you to. The wireless range is also the worst of any wireless headsets I have owned. To compare I have a pair of Sennheiser's that allow me to walk down a flight of stairs, out the door of my house, and into the street which is roughly 50 feet away. The WoW headset has a range of roughly 10 feet, and cut that in half of you dare walk around a wall.

Durability, Customer Support are terrible, terrible, terrible. So terrible I had to write a review. Having owned the headset for less than two months I picked it up off of my desk to raid last night, and the right side ear module snapped off. You see the entire thing is made of plastic, cheap plastic at that. For buying one of the most expensive headsets on the market one would expect some high quality parts but not the case with this headset. The adjustable linking piece between the top of the headset and the ear module is roughly similar to that found on a 5$ pair of knock off Sony headphones: thin, plastic and cheap. I naturally assumed that since I had only owned this product a mere two months I could call Creative customer support and see if I could get a replacement (though at this point I would prefer a refund). After discovering Creative does not give you a number to call, I sent a few emails back and forth with pictures and was provided this wonderful conclusion by a Creative representative who does not even have a real name to correspond with, instead he/she uses a cute Navi name from Avatar instead. Her conclusion about my headset is as follows:
------------------
Dear Michael,

I am afraid that you will not be able to use the warranty claim form in warranty servicing. I would advice you to purchase a new product as it is more economical as compare to servicing Out of Warranty RMA.

Best Regards

Galkowska Agata Ewa
Worldwide Customer Response
Creative
----------------

This is definitely one product I will not be buying again, even if their customer support advises me to.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2010
Received this product yesterday. After the initial 8 hour charge I was anxious to test it out. Comfort and sound quality are awesome. Installation was very easy if you follow the Quick-Start guide. The THX options are amazing for versatility. Range on the 2.4gHz wireless is also very delectable. I was very impressed until I went to talk to my guild mates over Ventrilo...

Every single person said I sounded very muffled / tin-e / static-e. The microphone also picks up almost every sound in the room. It is very annoying. Noise canceling microphone??? NO. More like noise amplifying microphone of terrible quality. I plugged in my old $15 headset from WalMart and my voice was back to crystal clarity to everyone in Ventrilo.

I spent about two hours of my own time alternating sound options inside Windows, Ventrilo, and the custom sound board to get my voice sounding somewhat normal over Ventrilo to no avail. I posted this issue on the official Sound Blaster forums. I am also going to create a support request. If this issue isn't fixed or on the way to being fixed I'm going to get a refund and by a different set.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 10, 2010
I really was looking forward to this headset. When my pre-order arrived I absolutely was wowed by the presentation and overall look of the product. The comfort of these phones is truly amazing and I hope will be copied by others in future. Now for the negatives... The microphone did not work from the start... I can hear others in TeamSpeak, but they can't hear me (even after making sure my settings were correct). I also noticed that my Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard go all sluggish and wacky when using these phones. Attempts to contact Creative customer support were as unpleasant as could be. They make you drill down through seemingly endless menus before you can send an email to their customer support team (tip: make sure you have your serial number or you will get no customer support) -- no phone number is available. I sent my problems to them on March 5th via email and just heard back today (3/10/10)... Their answer? Try to keep the wireless headphones away from the computer's wireless keyboard and mouse, as they can cause interference. I waited 5 days for *that*! Kind of hard to seperate the computer keyboard, mouse and headset when playing a game on the computer...

The most ironic thing of all is the mouse and keyboard are acting up the worst in WOW when paired with the headset, making it unplayable. Looks like these phones are going back to Amazon. I love the concept and the look of the phones, but Creative's execution and customer service are terrible. Oh well. :-(
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2010
I preordered this headset and they arrived on February 25th. I live in a house with two adults and no children so the only use the headset got was when I put them on and took them off.
On Saturday March 27th I tried to put them on and the right head phone snapped off. I looked at the support and found that it is made of very thin plastic with a hole running down the center that weakens it further.
I found that Creative Labs Customer Service is only open 9 am to 5 pm cst Monday thru Friday. So I contacted them this morning 3/29/10 to see if I could get an RMA to have them replaced. I spoke with a customer service agent and told her what happened. She told me that physical damage was not covered under the warranty and voided said warranty and was not eligible for an RMA. She then put me on hold and spoke to a supervisor. When she came back on she asked me to e-mail her a photo of the damage. I sent the picture which they received. They are waiting to show a supervisor to get a ruling as to whether or not this will be covered under the warranty. My feeling right now is that Creative will blow me off and I will be stuck with a $120.00 piece of junk.
So my review of this item is this. The sound is great and the colored lights are fun and it super comfortable to wear. The main support for the ear phones is the cheapest of plastic with no metal reinforcement and does not last more than a month at best with careful regular usage. Don't waste your money on these cheap pieces of junk they are not worth the cost.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2010
Cool headset, but after using it more during raids, everyone complains about how the Mic turns screechy and sounds robotic (this is with VOICEFX off) The only fix is to D/C from Vent and relog but it will happen again. Issue is posted over and over on Creative's FOrums by many users and they have not replied or released a fix. Unfortunately an Epic Headset has turned into a worthless Green Item. Never buying creative again.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2010
Everything about this headset is pretty nice with the exception of two things, and these two things get it awarded a single star out of five. POOR QUALITY MATERIALS and UNRELIABLE WIRELESS TRANSMISSION.

My headset snapped in half! I'm always very careful when handling things like this but one day as I was tanking them off my head, the piece of plastic that is used to extend the earphones snapped, causing the right earphone to dangle down loosely by a wire. This piece of plastic is astonishingly brittle and THIN. It is about one third the thickness of the wire itself! Either the quality assurance testing was completely bypassed during testing phases, or the QA department needs to be fired for allowing such a flimsy cheap design into production. Upon doing a Google search I discovered hundreds if not in the thousands, of posts of owners of this headset that have had the same thing happen to them. The earphone snapped off the headset. There is no way to fix it. You are screwed.

During the 3 months that I was able to use this headset, the wireless transmission of audio would randomly and frequently lose sync. There would be no sound for 5-6 seconds at a time. Sometimes it would happen 10 or 20 times a day, and on some days it would happen continuously every 10-20 seconds for hours. This happened regardless of where I put the transmitter, how close it was to the headset, and how charged the battery was. So very annoying.

For a $160 product, I definitely feel like I was ripped off. I can't return them without a serial number, of which I don't have because it is NOT anywhere on the item itself but on the box it came in, which I threw away after 2 months. Really Creative Labs? Can you shove your middle finger in my face any harder?
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought these and was excited to get them, till I got them. They are to say it simply, Cheap, The head piece parts are thin and flimsy. The sound from them is honestly not bad, and the surround sound is very good but, the mic is not very movable or flexible and pics up way to much background noise to be usefull, no amount of tweaking gets rid of the noise from the mic, even following the instructions on the creative labs website wont get rid of it, and this should tell you something, Creative labs has a whole section up of dealing with the background noise. All in all for the money your getting cheated buying these, do a search here at Amazon for any Turtle Beach headphone and you will get 1000x the quality for half the price.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2010
I have owned SEVERAL headsets over the past eight or nine years, and have been an avid PC gamer since I was 13 years old. This headset works well, is comfortable, sounds great, and best of all there is nothing to tether your head to the computer. I've had the headset for a couple of weeks now and I don't really have a single complaint about it. I don't quite understand why people give items bad reviews simply because they aren't capable enough to get the item to work. I bought two of these headsets one for my wife and one for myself. We sit in the same room when we play and they do not interfere with each other, or my wife's wireless keyboard at all. I have used the headset on both my desktop and our new laptop and it works, first time every time. I haven't had to pair the headphones with the USB transmitter or anything. Just plug the USB transmitter in and turn on the headphones and they work.
The voice morph software is fun to play with every once in a while. Yeah it's gimmicky and dumb, but good for a laugh when you are bored on vent. I have used these headphones to play WoW, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Bioshock 2, and a few other games, without having to adjust any settings or anything like that. No, I don't hear amazing new things I never heard before, but yes the sound is crisp and rich, and I think the surround sound feel works quite well. Sometimes you can hear ambient sounds or something from behind you while playing and it will fool you into thinking something is really happening in the room you are in. Also listening to music on these headphones is great. They get nice and loud (I was afraid they might not) and the sound quality and bass is great. They are LARGE headphones, but they aren't heavy at all, extended use of them is comfortable and they block out a lot of background noise which is great.
I've seen a ton of reviews of people talking about this headset having a bad mic on it. I haven't noticed this at all. The mic ISN'T perfect, but out of the 10-12 headsets I have owned (all of them considered high end at the time) none of them were 100% perfect. It's a microphone, and like with all the different headsets you have to take the time to get used to using it. No, it isn't going to act exactly like the last microphone you owned. Yes it can sound muffled if you don't wear the headset right and keep the mic too far away from your face, sorry it's not a magical microphone that floats in front of your mouth at the perfect distance for you, you actually have to wear the headset correctly. Everyone on vent has told me that I sound just fine on ve
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2010
Overall, I think the headset could be a great tool. However, I gave this headset a low rating for a few factors that I feel are important to be corrected by Creative. Unlike those who have sent their headsets back, I am waiting for Creative to fix their driver so that I can keep the product and use it.

The quality of the hardware is superb. The novelty of the World of Warcraft design and the features presented by the WoW Audio Control Panel such as the Voice Effects are great!

However, I am having an issue where folks do not hear me when using the headset for two-way communication (i.e. use of the microphone). Having spent a rediculous amount of time trying to find the contact phone number for Creative's Technical Support team as they hide it on their web site, I worked with their tech support staff on the issue and we found that the current driver (release 1.x, by the way), is inappropriately increasing the microphone sensitivity to 100% each and every time any application connects to the headset in spite of how you set the sensitivity using the supplied audio control panel tool.

I found, as did others on the Creative forums, that the microphone is so sensitive, that in order to use it properly, you should set the sensitity in the audio control panel to 15% or less. If you do, the headset works fine for two-way communication.

Having to set that property every time an application connects to the headset is quite annoying and needs to be resolved. I use the headset for Vonage calls and I have to change the sensitvity for every phone call answered or dialed. Hopefully, Creative will correct this problem with their next driver update (date unknown at this point).

As I said, I have chosen to keep the headset and await the next driver release. The 8 hour runtime is fanatsic and the clarity of the wirless connection and range is also great. If not for the microphone sensitvity issue, this headset would rank as one of the best on the market today.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2010
I had high hopes for these headphones. I bought a total of four sets with the cataclysm game as well. I took one set out and followed the instructions to the letter even charging the headset for the 8 hours before attempting anything. I downloaded all the programs and was very excited to try out the new product. NOTHING. NO sound No voice Nothing and like many others posting on amazon, the mic doesn't work either. oh the test works for the voice. I can hear my voice on the test; Lots of feedback and very crackly. I looked for the customer support number. There isn't one. What you have is an e-mail address that has a 24 hour turn around time and as far as I can tell is set up to stall customers forever.

I downloaded my system information to them before I wrote as was suggested so that they would have all the information on my system before I wrote back. Guess what the first question was after 24 hours exactly. What is your OP system? which was in the download and typed into a specific box on my email question form.

Next 24 hours later response: what is the name, model number and serial number of your creative sound card. WHAT? this product does not say you have to purchase a creative sound card to make it work. What do you mean I need a creative sound card? I wrote back with my sound card information that came with my computer.

TWO DAYS LATER next response. What is your creative sound card name, model number and serial number. Wrote back again, this product says nowhere in its ad that it needs a creative sound card to work properly I do not have a creative sound card. What I have are the WoW wireless headsets and no sound is coming from the headset, and the mic does not work either.

TWO DAYS LATER their response. If you cannot provide us with the name, model number and serial number of your sound card we cannot help you and will consider this case closed. WHAT???

The downloads to these headsets can only be placed on one computer per headset and cannot be used on any other computer to play the headset. So at this time I went to all four computers, first having to uninstall the program from one computer then putting it on another computer then starting the whole process over again. The headset does not work on any of the computers including my sons' mega beast gaming computer (he is in school for gaming design and that is what his class mates call his set-up)which has everything to play, create, and edit video games with 3 seperate external hardrives for the programs. Doesn't work on that one either.

I wrote back again on a new ticket which is logged under the product you are having problems with by the way, so they know it is a headset I am questioning and not one of their sound cards. I wrote: I have four of these headsets on four different computers. I opened mine to test (the rest are for Easter gifts)This headset Does not have any sound. The mic does not work and I am getting no support from your company on how to fix this problem other than someone named
Yang Ge
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas
asking what is the name, model number and serial number of my creative sound card. Who has never responded after I have said repeatedly I do not have a creative sound card, I am having problems with the headset. no where on your ad does it say I have to have a seperate sound card to work these things and I am certainly not going to buy a seperate sound card at over 100.00 a piece for each of our computers after paying 160.00 each for these things. Now I need a phone number to call someone there to get these things working or I shall have to send them all back. It's been days and your 24hr turn around time to respond to an email is ridiculous as it is but the fact that you don't respond at all is insane and that there is no real time conversations to help fix these problems are you kidding me? this isn't customer service it is a joke!

I still have not had a response to this email

I went to blizzard's website since they are the one's who advertised this product. Blizzard does have a customer service phone number by the way. I had hoped they had the mystical, magical phone number to contact creative, but alas the phone number is like the game, a fantasy. They did shed light on the fact that they have many calls about this product not functioning and the fact that their customers cannot get support from creative; which is why the full page ad has been pulled from blizzards' community pages.

Again no help, but I did check blizzard's site and their store and searched for quite some time. I did not find the ad. Sad to say for those of us who purchased this product, that they advertised these headsets before testing it via everyday end users. Even worse they put their name to it, allowing customers to believe that it was a quality product when in fact it is quite horrible and the company obviously does not consider its customers a top priority.

Be forewarned. Buy this product and you are on your own.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...