Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on February 18, 2014
This book is visually appealing, filled with humor and asks artists hard questions about their creative process. They display a good sense of humor and willingness to share methods for getting past their own creative blocks. Danielle Krysa, also known as The Jealous Curator, has assembled a panel of 50! successful and - yes, you will be jealous of them - artists. She interviews them about their inner critics, how they get themselves unstuck and how they suggest we might.

One of my favorite ideas for getting unstuck was proposed by Jessica Bell: deliberately destroy something you love. Speaking from my experience of holding what we call Bad Art Night every two weeks where we challenge ourselves to do just that - destroy something you love, I can tell you this works fast to get you unstuck. All the ideas in the book are of this caliber - bold and daring. And the photos of each artists work are sumptuous. I particularly liked that many of those interviewed by Danielle were collage artists.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon April 12, 2014
Here's a wonderful and refreshing book from Danielle Krysa, blogger at The Jealous Curator, at art blog that you should definitely check out also.

Creative Block features the advice and artworks of 50 successful artists. Each artist has a short profile and then move on to talk about where they find inspiration, how they handle creative blocks, challenges and criticism. At the end, there's a short project idea to get your hands and brain working.

I love the artworks featured. The artists work with different medium so you get to see stuff like illustrations, collages, paintings, installation art, sculptures, paper art and more.

The interviews come across as casual and candid, and there are always surprising things to read about, such as the jobs that those artists imagined they would end up in.

As an artist myself, I find it interesting to learn about what other artists are thinking and doing. There are many new artists to check out also.

This is a book you can read from cover to cover, or just hop in to any page for some inspiration.

Highly recommended. This book should appeal to artists from any background.

(See more pictures and the book review on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on March 28, 2014
I am so happy to find a REFRESHING, WELL PLANNED, and engaging book these days.. Although we are looking at 50 different artists...across so many mediums and backgrounds, the book is in no way boring. The "Creative Block" topics are interesting..and attainable.. This is not the same ol' content that is being published over and over.. I am glad purchased this book for sure... surely will refer to it over and over.
on March 31, 2014
I've been slowly reading one interview at time. The interviews alone are excellent, as well as the samples of inspiring work. But best of all are the suggestions each artist gives for activities to help shake free the stuck feelings and serve as a great jumping off point to get your own creativity steamrolling again. Great selection of contemporary artists working in a variety of mediums. Thank you Danielle for this great collection of interviews and artists.
on February 5, 2015
As self-taught (still-learning!) artist a bit beyond just starting out, I always appreciate hearing from other artists. The fifty interviews of "Creative Block" each have a good probability of exposing a new nugget of knowledge, insight, and/or inspiration. Many of the "un-blocking" exercises suggested by the artists feel like something I'd try.

Two critiques (that would have added two more stars): First, by the author's admission, the interviews are formulaic. It's swell to hear many of the subjects' take on the questions, but, at half-way through the book, it'd be nice to have some variety of Q & A. Second: Most everybody in the book looks a lot like me. In this day and age, diversity kind of goes without saying... working to find willing, able, and qualified participants whose backgrounds go beyond the "White" experience would have been beneficial.

I like the book and I'm glad to own it.
on April 18, 2014
As an artist and high school art teacher this book is a treasure trove of advice. It is also helpful to have an arsenal of contemporary artists to be able to share with my students. Many of the advice given is excellent in terms of ways to break through a creative rut, which is something I deal with personally and my students deal with as well,
on January 30, 2015
I love this book. I am BLOCKED right now and very frustrated. I love reading the artist interviews and their suggestions to unblock. It is also comforting to know that successful artists have similar feelings to my own. Despite wanting only to be an artist since age 4, I am very insecure about my art.. I know I need to snap out of it. I'm hoping this book will stimulate me enough to get back to it. In fact, I already had a great idea for collage today so I think it is helping already.
on July 21, 2014
I liked this book, it gave me an insight to other artists and how they work. Gave me a sense of relief that I'm not brain dead, I'm on the right path to what I'm doing and its ok to be where your at - where ever you are.... just keep going and dont stop.
on July 26, 2015
Anything that Danielle writes is gold. She has brought together finest community of inspirational artists into one book. The prompts each artist provides are clever and offer a platform for launching you out of that artistic slump you may be in.

Grab a sketchbook, get your art media together, and buy this book. Once you're finished with every prompt (it will take you some time, if done correctly), this book will make the perfect addition to your coffee table book collection. The images of each artists' work are clear and vivid.
on July 4, 2015
Really love this book. I am a young artist and spend about 80 percent of my time not knowing what to draw or paint next. This book really offers some insight into other artists creative processes, how they deal with creative block, and also other things like how they handle criticism, find inspiration and a lot of other interesting things. Every artists also gives an idea or project to do to help with creative block, and since the artists are so diverse in either mediums or genre of art that they do, they all can offer really great ideas for getting inspiration back.

So far, this book has cured my creative block, at least or a short time, which is all I could hope for. A bonus is that I got it at a book outlet site for about 8 dollars, but I believe that if you are an artist struggling with creative block, it's worth the 20-30 dollars.