‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all here!, January 2, 2002
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
There is not much about collage that is not contained in this book. The authors begin with a short history of collage and how to make or find materials to make your own. Later in the book, they even explain how to make your own paper for collage and making collage "supports" or backgrounds using mediums, papers, and natural or found materials.
In an early part of the book, the authors delve into the collage process and give the reader eight projects (of varying difficulty)to try on their own. The directions and illustrations are VERY complete.
The next section deals with collage design, both planning and creating, along with nine projects that are, once again, carefully explained.
The section on mixed-media collage was very good but more for a person who has both artistic AND design ability. NOT ME!!!
Even though many of these projects were beyond my limited capability, I still enjoyed reading about them and looking at the beautiful illustrations. I got lots of ideas from this lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent art resources, July 8, 2000
rae trujillo (pleasant hill, ca USA) - See all my reviews
I orginally found this book at the library and had to have it. I am not a beginner artist but it would be excellent for any beginner. It dicusses design, materials, and concepts. It would be great for teachers as the projects can be easy or advanced depending on the instructor. For the more experianced artist it offers inspiration and nuggets of information. Full color pictures too!

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need!, November 11, 2001
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
Absolutely the only book you'll ever need to start creating collages. Filled with a wide variety of techniques from the very simple to the very sophisticated it teaches you everything from how to get started to how to frame your finished piece. An invaluable reference book in any art library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collage "Bible", December 28, 2006
*****

I have been reading collage books in order to get ready for a collage class I'm taking next month; while all the ones I've read have their strong points, this book is truly the "Bible" of collage---it contains the widest and most in-depth information of all of the books I've read. It covers so many topics, and for a beginner, enables me to see just what can be done with collage. As I become more experienced, though, I am certain that I will refer to it again and again.

Ever type of collage conceivable to me is covered here, with step by step instruction. It is written in an instructional (as opposed to entertaining) style, and is definitely a reference book, but one that I think every collage artist should have.

If you are wanting to learn more about collage and can only afford one book, this one is it. It covers many different styles, so unlike other books, if your style is not the same as the author's, you might be left out---no chance of that with this book.

Highly recommended.

*****

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is all you will ever need, August 6, 2005
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
I don"t ususally critique books, but I think that "Creative Collage Techniques" is a book that contains the essentials of collage making and much more. It would present a challenge for beginners, but has so much information, wonderful graphics and diverse projects that it will provide a reference for the experienced collage artist as well. I especially enjoy the artist's use of "theme collages", from magazine clippings, photographs, printed words, which can incorporate the readers own unique style in multi-media using watercolors, oil paints, or whatever one wishes. The artist also shows the reader how to create crystalline papers,(not difficult), make a collage mosaic, use torn papers, rice paper overlays, and marbling paper. In other words, it motivates the reader to CREATE. I have only skimmed the surface of this book's contents, there is so much more! I continuously use it as a reference. If you are in a creative "low", buy this book, it will inspire you!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of several titles, February 18, 2007
Stef Maruch (San Francisco Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
I have dabbled with collage and assemblage and want to do more. What I mainly want is info on supplies and technique, rather than an overview of what other artists are doing in the field, or a history of the art, or coaching to overcome fear of doing art. I took six collage and altered book books out of the library. This one worked best for me. The information about what supplies, adhesives, and papers/boards to use was well organized, clear and simple. Each technique was presented in a straightforward, step by step way accompanied by examples. This book had more techniques in it that seemed like ones I would want to work with than some of the other books - I'm not at a stage where I want to build a complicated studio setup or use photocopiers and photography a whole lot in my artwork, but I appreciate knowing about techniques that are a little more advanced than gluing paper down.

5.0 out of 5 stars An A to Z "How To", August 19, 2005
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
This is the Collage Bible! It covers everything from surfaces to (a complete index of) adhesive mediums, paints, inks, papers, color, composition etc.

This is a library must have for the beginner and the practicing artist. It really is a type of encyclopedia, and genuine "HOW TO" guide. Not sure which paints to use: acrylic v. watercolor v. oils? This book covers the full range of collage possibilities with clear and very detailed instructions on the "how." Where to begin? At the beginning. The photos are excellent: both gallery and instructional.

Buy this first and keep it. This is a wonderful foundation to build from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good projects, clearly written, new techniques, November 8, 1999
Dianne Erickson (Jacksonville, Oregon) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed this easy-to-understand book. I liked the projects, and especially the making your own specialty paper out of tissue. Good examples of collages, and idea-starters. Used many of the techniques successfully the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure Chest of Information, November 19, 2007
Dee Churchill (Coastal Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
I'm speaking as someone who knows zilch about collage -- or close enough to zilch that it doesn't matter. Which means I'm extremely impressed by the way the authors clearly explained techniques and concepts in a manner that didn't confuse the ignorant (me) while informing both beginners and experts. I'm guessing they DO inform experts just because of the wide range of information. The result is that I feel I really begin to understand the basic concepts without being overwhelmed. My only problem is to choose which fun methods to try first. There is certainly an exhaustive array of options. I can't speak for more experienced people but, for beginners, I can't imagine a book being more helpful than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Creative Collages, January 18, 2006
This review is from: Creative Collage Techniques (Paperback)
I've always admired collages and remember when it was routine to make them in grade school. As an adult, I love crafts but have not ventured into the collage arena.

I agree the instructions and projects were generally easy to follow, but looking at some of the pictures made you think, "there is no way I can do that"! Because of this book though, I am encouraged that I can start small and work up. The book shows beautiful collages that I have not seen in other books. It looks as if it would be helpful to the beginner, even if it is a little intimidating, looking at the gorgeous collages. I have already started saving magazines and other materials.

A couple of my favorites and the least intimidating (to me) were the Found Papers Collage and Working With Printed Words collage (pg 18-19). The rooster on page 35 clearly demonstrates the process and combines basic collage process. My goal is to work up to something like the awesome portrait collage on page 29.

Recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Creative Collage Techniques
Creative Collage Techniques by Nita Leland (Paperback - September 15, 2000)
$22.99 $17.17