on October 21, 2008
Verified Purchase
It's an OK product; I will keep it, although I had some issues (below). I also think it should be less expensive for what you get (at this writing, $47), although, I honestly could not find a cheaper one with really good reviews(during time period I searched). If anything were to happen to this, I would not buy it again, I would consider buying a professional version w/ more grip locations, yet still similar/portable to fit the door-way. They sometimes run $70+.

Regarding the Instructions/ an issue most are complaining about:
There's a previous 4 star review by (R.Cheney), that's very helpful describing which washers go with which bolts. Such as: silver washers go with the 2 longer bolts (hex) and the black washers with the shorter 2 (round)- which connects to the top plastic bar.
- The owner's manual is at least OK with showing the orientation, vertically inserting the bolts versus horizontally.

More info on the washers:
If you're still confused about (in what order) to add the washers (this is what I did):
Top section: I placed the bolt through the curved bar 1st, then added the washer, then finished inserting the bolt through connecting plastic top piece (w/ the red color)
Bottom section: the same order = bolt, then curved bar, then washer, then continue through 2nd straight metal bar
--Depending on the device, some instructions tell you to 1st place the washer on the bolt/screw and then screw it in. If you do that here, you'll see that the bolt will be too short to enter the second connection/ bar. Washers are used for different reasons, so knowing where to properly place them is important- they should tell us!

CONS /Wall thickness & Cushioning:
- The Bar lacks cushioning on the "wider" grip area. The same cushioning provided on the narrow grip (seen in the image)should have simply been added to the space between the ends and the center- Don't understand why it was not provided.
- My "wall thickness" at the Top of the doorway,(really "trim to trim" thickness as defined by Creative fitness =i.e., inside the room molding -TO- outside the hallway molding) is 6 1/4" the maximum listed AND it barely fit. I have to use the provided "not so strong" safety clip to provide a little more room & security. This may be the case for the rest you, w/ homes/Apts built before mid 1900's! The company SHOULD say the max thickness of your wall/trim-to-trim to be 5 3/4"- 6", re-design the red-lined plastic Top-bar to be thicker or some other fix!
on July 4, 2007
Pull-ups and chin-ups aren't the easiest exercise to do, but they are the best bodyweight exercise that you can do. It's great for developing your arms, back, and abs (crunches). If you're a pull-up / chin-up freak, the Door Gym is great. I use the Door Gym more than any other exercise equipment that I have at home because it's unavoidable. It's in the doorway to my bedroom. I can't pass through without doing several pull-ups and chin-ups.

The assembly was a bit of a challenge. At first, I thought the four screws were too short until I really pressed the two pieces together and forced the screws through the holes. The wrench that comes with the Door Gym for assembly is a joke. I strongly recommend buying or using your own wrench.

After assembling the Door Gym, it hangs on the door with ease and securely. I was somewhat concerned that it would damage the wall and the door frame, but it doesn't leave a mark.

I considered buying the cheaper screw-into-the-door frame pull-up/chin-up bars, but the Door Gym is more versatile (plus it's removable and it doesn't damage the door frame). With the Door Gym, you can do the usual pull-ups and chin-ups, but you can also do neutral grip (palms facing each other pull-ups) and commando pull-ups. There's an optional extender that you can buy for a much wider grip, but I can't imagine why it's necessary.

There are similar products like the Door Gym. I saw one at a fitness store. The design was very similar, but the construction and materials were inferior. The metal felt too light and the foam used for gripping and to cushion against the door frame were very thin. The "knock-off" also had a different design for the part that presses against the door header wall which puts more pressure and more likely to damage the wall.

If you're taller than 5'8", you might not like any door pull-up/chin-up bar since it'll be difficult to really extend out when hanging. It's still possible to use it, but you'll really have to bend your legs throughout the exercise.
on June 28, 2005
Overall, a very good product, easy to use and very sturdy. I weigh in at about 225, and have felt very safe with it. Putting it up and taking it down takes literally no time.

However, it has left small marks on my door frame, not TOO noticeable, but present nonetheless. And I find myself wishing for foam pads on the wide grip location (outside the handles) as well. I purchased the wide grip bar, but have yet to use it.

4 Stars.
on May 24, 2004
I was a little sketchy being that it cost ~$80 with the broad reach bar (incl. shipping) but when I received it I was astounded. Not only was it sturdy, easy to assemble, and easy to put up/take down, but the foam padding is HIGH quality. This thing should last for many, many years. Well worth the price.
on April 13, 2006
I have used the door gym for several months (exclusively for pull-ups, but also useful for deep pushups and situps), and have found it to be an excellent cost effective workout for the upper body. It can be installed and uninstalled literally in seconds on your doorway. (Caution: measure your doorway of interest to assure compatibility with the Door Gym's specifications). The foam padding on the bar that provides support over the doorway is more than adequate to protect your wall's paint. In fact, the padding that rests on the door jambs also do a commendable job of not ruining your door's finish. That said, use common sense (ie, it's not a monkey bar) and don't horse around on it, and your door should be pristine. The door gym comes with four screws, 2 are shorter than the others, and at first glance, seem to be a mistake (as some of the reviewers stated). The two shorter screws (if I recall correctly) are for securing the door gym to the red padded bar that goes over the door. You need to push fairly FIRMLY on the screw (which has been threaded through the door gym and red padded bar) in order to secure the nut onto it. Once it's on, tighten with a wrench, and the opposite side will be easier. Areas for improvement? The instructions could obviously be clearer, judging from the previous reviewers' comments about assembly problems. Also, padding the wide grip areas would permit even more choices (in terms of comfort to the hands) of grips for pull-ups. Effective, relatively cheap, portable, and kind to your door is my take on the Door Gym:)
on June 20, 2007
Verified Purchase
This bar is sturdy and really easy to install when you want to use it. However, I do take issue with the stated weight capacity. While I have no doubt the bar itself can support 350 lbs, it relies on door moulding for support and I don't trust the meager moulding around our doors. Also, at 6'-2", I found that I really had to tuck my legs way up just to be able to use the bar. Our interior doorways look to be appx. 6'-6" tall, so you might have better luck if your doorways are taller. Overall, the product is good but the flimsy moulding and low opening of my doorways make it difficult for me to use. It works great for my wife (who is both shorter and lighter).
on August 23, 2007
Assembly:

Putting this chin up bar was fairly simple. Didn't really need the directions because how chin up bar was pictured made everything self-explanatory of how all the parts fit, including the specific screws to use (I did use the directions to check my work though).

Actual Use:

I have a one bedroom in Manhattan and this chin-up bar works well for my space. The Door Gym Chin Up Bar can easily support my weight. I'm very confident it can handle the 300lbs. +, as it claims. The catch is how well your door frame is set up for this. Be sure to have a door frame with an edge that is sturdy and at least 3/4 in to 1 1/2inches jutting from the wall. I will say the cantilever effect, of how the door gym stays in place, is great. The Door Gym works even better on door frames that are higher.

I am able to do a wide variety of pull ups and chin ups using the door gym. Wide grips may be limited based on the width of your doorway.

Overall, for the price I paid for, I definitely got my money's worth.

Drawbacks:
You will need to place some additional padding where the long bar presses against the door frame because depending on your weight indentions may form on the door frame. This is easily remedied by placing any small face towel where the long bar rests.

Another drawback is that you may need to get the add on bar for wide grip pull ups. You should be conscious of how wide your doorway is.

Overall:
I recommend this product. On Amazon you can find different retailers for this product and usually get an inexpensive deal.

I use this product while doing my P90X workout. I purchased this effective chin up bar at a significantly lower price on Amazon vs. getting a similar bar on the P90X product site.
on July 9, 2004
It's the best chinup bar I've ever used. No installation necessary and the foam makes it very easy on the hands. I like that it also supports parallel grip pullups.
Highly recommended.
I saw a similar device elsewhere for dips that might be worth checking out, as well (although I don't see it here on Amazon yet). I have a free-standing dip bar but I'm not crazy about it since it's a bit too high and a bit too wide.
on February 6, 2005
Good for a quick and tough upperbody workout, plus abdominals. I wouldn't call it portable because it's pretty unwieldy, but it installs and uninstalls in 2 seconds. Comes with a little clip to reinforce the mounting bar to keep the gym from falling off the doorway frame.
on November 3, 2004
This is a great fitness gadget because of the following reasons:

1. You don't need screws to install it - in a second you put it on a door frame without any screws or installation.

2. You can do a good workout in a short period of time.

3. You can dissasemble it and store it easily or take it with you if you travel a lot. On my previous job I had to travel a lot so it was great for me. I even went further and improved it for quick and compact dissasembly by installing fly nuts (the ones you can easily unscrew with your hands) and by cutting the long bar in the middle and installing inside a tube, so I could fit it in a medium bag without any problem.

I would deffinitely recomend it for a home or for a person who travel a lot.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations