Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 12, 2015
I had to immediately return this camera. If you are a developer DO NOT BUY, the SDK is no longer available for this product and is not even accessible via an archive. Intel will tell you to use the new SDK for their "RealSense" camera however it doesn't give you the depth data and they will openly admit this. You are basically buying an expensive web cam at this point with no SDK. I Don't know why any company would delete the SDK and it is was has kept me from buying the RealSense camera instead. If you want a depth sensing camera that you know the SDK will be available for time to come, I hate to say it but just get the kinect for windows.
on October 23, 2013
Arthur C. Clarke's third law states that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", and nothing could be stated more precisely to describe the Senz3D. On the surface the Senz3D looks like any other high-end web cam, and as such it performs flawlessly. However, hidden behind its second lens lies the true magic of this device. In addition to providing an HD RGB camera, the Senz3D is a depth camera that can track your hands and face. Think Kinect and Leap rolled into one. This tiny device, it's actually smaller than my Logitech 920, can track both hands and finger tips with ease. It's a near lag free experience, on par with Leap and feels light-years ahead of Kinect and Xtion cameras.

Initially I would have given this device a 5 star rating, but after playing with it for a few days I downgraded my enthusiasm. Not for the lack of ability, but for the lack of App support. Once you get over the initial WOW, the lack of software makes the device less useful than it really should be.

Overall, it feels more like a developer tool, which is not a bad thing. The bundled Apps are ok...not great. The true realization of the cameras capabilities can only really be seen with the SDK. After playing with the SDK, its breadth of uses seem more evident than Kinect, and more capable and effortless to use then Leap. With stronger App support I would not hesitate to give it a 5+ star rating. If you're a developer and/or enthusiast of depth recognition this is a must have device.

Pros
- Build quality: excellent, on par with other high end web cams. Easy to place on monitor and feels very sturdy
- Hand and finger tracking: tracks your hands in any position with relative ease, even very close to the camera itself.
- HD RGB: makes for a great web cam - worked seamlessly with Skype
- Depth: hi-res depth map is clear and solid. A real step up.
- Lag: hardly noticeable. My hands and fingers are tracked reliably.
- SDK: excellent features - hand/finger tracking, face tracking, voice recognition, background removal
- Use: effortless is the best way to describe it. You don't need to think about placing your hands "correctly" in front of the camera in order for it to work.
- Latency: superior to any other devices like Kinect, or the Xtion cam.
- Small size

Cons
- No Mac/Linux support. Why only Windows?
- Limited Apps. I realize the device has just been released, so I'm looking forward to seeing what types of products start popping up.
- No Windows 8 control. For a device that only works on Windows, why not include Win8 control? Limits the Senz3D's usefulness.
on November 10, 2013
Good but not great. A bit pricy - not for the hardware, but because of the lack of apps. There are enough apps to show the potential but not enough to be truly useful yet. The promise of more to come makes the camera intriguing. I'm not a big gamer, but I am interested in the background elimination for video blogging and for video conferencing. Gesturing is also WAY better than with a regular camera. Physically, I just have one complaint... the cord is WAY thicker, heavier and longer than I want for use on my laptop. I know that they have made it long to be able to use on a DT as well, but it would have been far better to have interchangeable cords - one for Notebook portability and another for a desktop.
on July 7, 2014
It's an experimental product from Creative, Intel, and PMD Tek - the apps that come with it hardly work unless your environmental conditions are just right (i.e. dark room, no reflective surfaces around the house, and really really low expectations). Even if the apps work, everything is still too gimmiky for this to be a successful consumer product and the games aren't that interesting. Don't buy it unless you're a curious techy with low expectations or an awesome developer about the change the game (literally & metaphorically).
on April 13, 2014
I see some of the other reviews here are negative because of the lack of games/apps/uses from a consumer perspective. I think those reviews make sense for that market, but from an art/research perspective I think it is a very interesting device.

If you are a digital artist, interested in interactive spaces or something along those lines, I think this is great. There are a series of examples of what can be done with popular frameworks like openFrameworks, Cinder, Processing and more on github ([...]) and the PerceptualComputing SDK really is quite powerful, if a bit daunting to learn.

I have used this camera for a couple projects now (using Cinder), and am happy with the results.
on February 28, 2016
I purchased this camera to be able to login to websites and my computer without needing to remember any passwords. This camera once you get the software installed, etc. is awesome. It uses 3D picture of my face to recognize me and when I turn on my computer it enters my password once it recognizes me. It does the same on websites, I love it and hope the technology progresses!
on December 12, 2013
Not sure what to say about it other than it's a good webcam.

I tried to get the facial recognition/password software working. It has little to do with the camera other than it being trial software, but it's one of those "it gets better the more you use it" things. I don't know if this is a line by a software company who wants to put the onus onto the user or if this thing really did get better at recognizing my face. Maybe it's a little of both. But I got tired of the thing telling me to line-up my face, not recognizing me and wanting me to do it all over again. It's easier just to type in my password.

Patty-Cake Kevin and the other demo games were interesting demos of the technology, but just didn't have enough impact to wow me with the technology. The demos with Playstation 4 did wow me and make me wonder if maybe this camera technology isn't a little late to the party. It could, however, be entirely different technologies only one is interesting and the other is wow.

I have a habit of purchasing web cameras, playing with them for a while and then putting them in a box before I donate them to charity. I suspect I'll do this with this camera too. It's a good webcam, maybe a cool toy, but it doesn't have the cool software to keep me interested yet.

12/1/2014: I was just out at the Intel site and they were touting this technology...Okay, fine. They're trying to ramp-up the technology with competitions for developers, but I still haven't seen the wow apps. That leaves a wait (and wait and wait) and see to see if this technology will ever be anything other than a novelty.

3/12/2015: Intel sure pushed this technology during Christmas. Still no killer app. As a matter of fact, I don't see any new apps since I purchased this camera. Looks like this flopped.
on March 9, 2014
After purchasing, you're left on your own. Support is lacking and there is a definite language gap. You better not need your questions answered in less than 5 days. I waited 1 1/2 weeks and had already received assistance from Intel before getting a response. The product may work, but the software that came with the camera doesn't function with it???? We had an application for the camera but, it sits because we don't have the necessary time to spend with support to make it function as advertised.
on March 24, 2014
Gesture technology is waiting to explode, but like most other devices, Creative Senz3D also needs better use-cases for why it should be there in front of me, and not in my cupboard.
on April 15, 2014
i think it is a good product for someone who want to play some new techniques.
The provided SDK can do lots of things that is suitable for not only research or developing.