So, the delima that is today's PC speakers. Until now I had been using a Klipsch Pro Media 4.1 setup for almost 7 years. When finally the static in the volume knob degraded into a bad sounding sub (like it was blown, but not) and finally a dead amp.

Creative Labs Gigaworks Series II T40
You may read reviews about how these speakers recuscitate hind parts...
Published on January 20, 2011 by NateManDo

2.0 out of 5 stars Too little bass
Published on December 29, 2009 by KAC453

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound isn't just about what you hear, it's what you listen to., January 20, 2011
This review is from: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with BasXPort Technology (Personal Computers)

Creative Labs Gigaworks Series II T40
You may read reviews about how these speakers recuscitate hind parts when it comes to bass. I just got mine delivered today and purchased them sight unheard. After a month of research, I narrowed my focus to the M-Audio Studiophile AV40 ($200), Creative Labs GigaWorks Series II T40 ($140) (important to note Series II due to minor desirable enhancements), Creative Labs Gigaworks Series II T20 ($90), Bose Companion 2 ($90) and a Dayton Audio ($150) solution featuring Class T amp (50 watts/channel), 6.5" Bookshelfs and left the door open for a matching 80 watt 8" sub ($100).

I am using a Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD (THX) sound card. I will be listening to my music library on iTunes and general gaming.

My Goal
Speakers that handled the entire vocal range and highs very nicely. Imaging was important. Only being 24 inches away from the speakers, I need to feel the vocals hitting my face and not my chest. Speakers need space and direction to achieve imaging. Remember, your head is on TOP of your shoulders, ;). An inheritent design problem with most pc speakers. You don't lay your head on the desk to use your PC. Yet most pc speakers are flat on the base and sit on your desk, pointing right into your chest.

My Criteria
Stereo sound (2.0), fit and finish, build quality, vocal sound quality, imaging, sound controls and design simplicity.

I had listened to the Bose Companion 2. For $90 they seem worth every penny. My boss has them at work and I've listened to them on display, as well. They lack sound controls (except volume) and have a natural hollow sound you'd expect from 1 driver trying to do all the work in a plastic cabinet. But they fill the listening space good and seem decently built. Also, they are tilted slightly but not enough. Within 2 or 3 feet on a standard desk, they hit around your shoulders.

I never got to listen to the M-Audio AV40's. After reading several complaints on multiple sites, I noticed complaints about build quality on some of the jacks and about the amps getting hot. One thing about amps, they need surface area and ventilation to truly last. Heat is the enemy. They seem to have all the makings of great speakers, but I'm not a fan of coincidence. When build quality complaints seem to echo across the reviews I read, I axed them.

I really stressed over the Dayton Audio solution. But ultimately it came down to too many parts. I wanted an integrated solution. Also, again we are dealing with bookshelf speakers pointing at my chest. Axed.

So then I turned my attention to the Creative Labs Gigaworks series. The next decision was not as simple as it may appear. T20's or T40's? Imaging, remember? 2 midrange/midbass drivers are better than 1. The "mini tallboy" profile didn't bother me with a 27" LCD. And after all of the reviews I read, no one complained about vocal quality. In fact, imaging and vocal quality were always praised. So, T40's it was.

My Impression
So, I've been listening to them for about 2 hours and I can say... imaging and vocal clarity are AWESOME. BUT, you've got to be patient with them. Due to their directional nature and (lack of) bass performance, you really need to tweak your equalizer settings, the speakers treble and bass controls and find the right balance between your audio drivers volume and the speakes volume control. Because these speakers entertain so much control over the sound, they TAKE TIME TO DIAL-IN. Be patient. Also, higher quality drivers need break in time. Typicaly 75 - 100 hours of music. New drivers are "stiff". They reproduce sound in a very tight and unforgiving nature. They need time to "loosen" to their natural responsive nature. Once broke-in, they deliver a more forgiving and fuller sound. Even after just a few short hours, I've noticed how the speakers are sounding better.

And remember, you've got 3" drivers... don't try to shake the room. Tweak the equalizer and controls to filter out unneeded frequencies until you find the speakers sounding "full". If you want to rattle windows and walls, get an 8" or 10" sub... SERIOUSLY. The most fundamental rule about bass.... the more air you move, the more bass you create. Also, if you're PC speakers are also your primary source for listening to music, you'll want a 2.1 system. You need a sub.

So, if these speakers don't perform well for bass, why do they get great reviews? Remember the 3 rules?

1) Know your space (room size), 2) know your taste (what are you listening to) and 3) know what it takes (the type of speaker needed).

Most of the reviewers don't get their prime listening enjoyment from PC speakers. They're getting it from their theater or car. I don't demand bass from my PC experience. For me, a PC is about immersion into the screen. Thus, the "space" is about 2 to 3 feet. Forget bass, it's all about imaging at that distance.

Vocals, Sound Quality and Staging
You will be amazed at how much range you have with the treble and bass controls. I had read in one review that the bass control seems to give more response than the speakers can handle. This is true. But not all music and sound is created equal. It's nice to be able to compensate lesser audio sources at the speaker level. That's what the bass and treble controls allow. You just have to be patient finding the sweet spot.

I don't notice any imperfections in the sound quality. No hissing, crackling or straining in the higher frequencies. The vocals are tight, punchy and warm. The highs are smooth, efficient, accurate and effortless. Staging is excellent.

Fit and Finish
As for fit and finish, they are very appealing. Their controls have a polished "all business" look about them. The power on/off is built into the volume button (one of those Series II things). People have complained about the blue light on the Series I. So, they moved it so it's now a backlight on the volume knob. It can be a bit distracting if you're OCD.

Design Simplicity
3 connections (power, companion speaker and stereo input jack). The power converter is reminiscent of a laptop's. The install is clean and not jumbled with a snakepit of wires. Each tower has a "foot" that screws in. And the speaker grills remove to reveal some elegant looking drivers.

Build Quality
This was one of the primary reasons I went with these speakers. And I'm glad I did. They have a very sturdy feel. Very nice weight. The amp produces nice clean sound. And the drivers, when tuned correctly, are very true to their design. Even the grill is nice!

In conclusion, don't buy these speakers thinking your buying a small concert stage with mics, guitars, drums and amps to listen to your favorite band bang out those heavy electric tunes.

Instead, your buying a bar stool and acoustic guitar for your favorite singer to sing to an audiance of one. And your chair is only 2 feet away.

Know your space. Know your taste. And know what it takes.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, some decent desktop speakers., September 25, 2009
ruminator (in silent contemplation) - See all my reviews
I've tried so many different computer speakers that I've lost count. The speakers that come with any new computer go straight into the trash without even being connected. That's a given. Then comes the dilemma of what to replace those cheap little tin cans with. I'm not a finicky audiophile. I just want good sounding speakers with moderately loud volume capability in a 2.0 configuration. I don't have the room or the desire for a large third component for booming base. These speakers are getting the job done like no other speakers I've ever owned.

I cannot express how happy it makes me to turn the volume knob and NOT hear the speakers crackling. Apparently, this requires some top secret speaker engineering, because I've never had a pair of desktop speakers that did NOT crackle or lose output on one of the speakers whenever I touched any of the knobs on them. I'm very pleased with these speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars In a word, Wow!, October 17, 2012
If half-stars were available, I would have rated this product 4 and a half stars.

The box says "Premium, home theatre sound with booming bass". If you qualify that, it is exactly correct. And here's what I mean by "qualify": The word "premium" applies if you are comparing this system to conventional computer speaker systems (it is the best I've come across in that regard). The term "home theatre sound" applies if you are comparing this to a low-cost "home theatre in a box" system, usually costing much more. This system ranks high in that category sound-wise (although it is a 2.0 system and HTIB is usually 5.1), but of course it can't begin to compare to a conventional high-dollar home theatre system. Booming bass? You betcha, although that might not be what we have in mind. "Premium, home theatre sound" is rarely accompanied by "booming bass", simply because "booming" bass is not ever really high in quality, so there is a bit of a dichotomy there. But if booming bass is what you are after, this system has it in spades, even though the goals for bass response in home theatre are usually quite different. Read on for a further explanation.

The Good:
If we consider just frequencies above 200 Hz, these speakers perform as well as many expensive bookshelf speakers. That's right, they really do. The dome tweeter (big fan of those) creates very clear and detailed highs, and mid-highs. Mids and mid-lows are equally good. In fact, I can't recommend them any more enthusiastically because of how well they perform in this range above 200 Hz; they are on par with hifi speakers or even prosumer desktop recording studio speakers costing many times more than this. There is also a lot of headroom; you could really rock the house, sheer volume-wise. And again, Amazon beat everyone else on price, which is reasonable for what you get.

The Not-So-Good:
As we get into lower frequencies, the farther below 200 Hz we go, the worse these speakers perform. This is also a function of volume; at low volumes the bass is not half-bad, and better than what one might expect from computer speakers. But as the volume is raised to a conservative listening level, the bass becomes muddy, poorly imaged, and with distortion that almost makes turning down the bass until there is an absence of bass, the better choice. Again, there is plenty of headroom, at least as far as the amp is concerned, but the bass elements just can't keep up with it, and they start to double the frequency and become very unlistenable. Kick drums (the bass drum in a trap set) are not all that bad; there is a solid kick reproduction although it feels a bit squeezed and missing its natural lower frequencies. What is disappointing is how poorly bass guitar sounds. And that is pretty ugly, although most computer-class speakers do just as poor a job, if not worse.

Being an Audio Engineer for a very long time, with a history of building, rebuilding, and doing sound reinforcement with speakers of all kinds, my best guess is that this poor imaging and muddiness is a product of porting the speakers, which works well with large speakers, not so much with tiny speakers (although comparatively speaking, these guys are gargantuan next to most computer speakers). This porting technique gives an efficiency that doubles the lower-frequency volume (for the same amount of amp)and extends the bass response about a half octave lower, but the cost is cone hangover and associated muddiness and imaging issues.

As a matter of fact, you can cover the port with your hand, and while the bass level then drops about 3 dB, the bass quality increases dramatically. I cut some styrofoam "corks" and plugged the ports, and turned the bass up a notch, and under those conditions the bass was also greatly improved, so that means the "corks" will be permanent in my setup. This essentially turns the speakers into more of a bookshelf speaker as far as bass response is concerned, meaning that the bass is more "tight", and imaging improves and muddiness disappears. But not completely. You can't expect miracles or 2.1 bass response out of a computer-class 2.0 system regardless who makes it, simply because the physics of that precludes it. But corking the ports makes them sound much more reasonable, and less like listening to that moron with the raised-up pickup truck sitting next to you at the stoplight booming rap music until your iPhone vibrates out of its holster.

Bottom line:
So it is easy to see why the gentleman who favors classical music rated these speakers so poorly. These are the wrong speakers for critical hifi listening to classical, even though the response is very flat and musical in frequencies above 200 Hz. But if you are primarily a gamer, or you want good quality for common computer speaker tasks, these speakers are ideal. Perfect for background music. Maybe not so perfect for watching Transformers III at home theatre levels, or for full volume music listening, but that is not what they are designed as, and is really not to be their expected performance level. Still, they are absolutely keepers. They should perform better in smaller rooms, too (I auditioned them in a room that was 20x24x9). I may add a 3rd-party sub, which would very likely compensate nicely in the lower frequencies. I'll amend my review when I do, but my prediction is that adding a complementary sub would make these speakers pretty hard to beat, even in categories above computer speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers for the price and no sub!, October 7, 2009
I didn't have room for a sub on my desk and really wanted some good speakers. I just use them for music. After reading tons of reviews on-line about speakers I finally decided on these. Make sure you get the series 2 though because series 1 has some flaws such as the bright blue light on the front and the power switch being on the back of the speaker. These are great speakers with great sound and look really cool. The bass doesn't pound obviously but for the size of them it is much better than others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, Clean sound and Great Value, September 7, 2011
Pros: Great looks. Sounds is both clear and tremendously powerful for speakers of this size and price. Couldn't be easier to set-up. Versatile and well-equipped. No separate sub.
Cons: Size isn't for everyone. No remote. Not having a separate subwoofer may be a dealbreaker for some.

I recently moved into a studio apartment and I can't afford a massive sound system. Like many people I rely upon my laptop as pretty much my sole source of entertainment but was growing tired of using headphones and my valiant, but tiny Altec speakers on my HP laptop.

Looking through Amazon.com, NewEgg.com, and Cnet.com was definitely an exercise in frustration. In fact, it took me two months of trolling through those sites and my local Best Buy before I gambled on these. I finally settled on the T40 because both the T20 and T40 have garnered solid reviews. Are they perfect? No, but neither are most reviewers. But generally no one had horror studies to tell (ahem, JBL, ahem) and the only complaints seemed anal-retentive. A sale price of 99.00 on Amazon.com was also perfect and the lack of a subwoofer was a plus. Finally, I've owned a few Creative products in the past...MP3 players, etc...remember soundblaster? And while they were often on the fringe of the mainstream, they have always been solid and never poorly made.

I want to break this review into several parts based on how I went about choosing these speakers:

1. Looks: with a sophisticated design and piano-black exterior, these speakers are very fancy looking. On my black lacquer Ikea desk, they look outstanding. Of course, like a shiny black BMW, they do require weekly dusting but I find it to be worth it (buy a Swifter). You will get nice comments from your friends, trust me. That being said, these speakers are a full 12 inches high, so they may be bigger than what you're looking for. Each speaker is slightly canted upwards for optimal sound since they are essentially pointing towards your head.

2. Versatility and Ease of use. There is everything you need here. You have a TV aux in (with included RCA adapter), Aux in, Headphone jack and a standard audio cable for hooking up to your laptop. The power adapter is smaller than most laptop adapters and doesn't even get hot. Wires are needed obviously but are minimal and easy to tie up. There is a Bass/Treble/Volume button right on the front so adjustments couldn't be easier. Very clean and thoughtful set up. People complain about the blue light around the volume button but c'mon. I don't even notice it. People need to calm down. Incidentally, I prefer the dust covers on and overall, the speakers are very chic and modern.

3. Sound: You might notice I put this third. Well, that's because I didn't have high expectations from a two speaker setup. But let me tell you, these speaker will SPOIL you. Pinback sounds amazingly clear and concert-like. Nine inch Nails sounds awesomely angry and loud. Deadmau5, Daftpunk, and Kaskade sound club-ready. Yankees Games sound crisp. Top Gear sounds terrific. These speakers have ALL the bass you need without any of the headaches (rattling furniture, angry neighbors). The high and mid-range sound is quite frankly excellent for two single speakers without any separate tweeters, etc. These speakers are great all-rounders for both movies, music, and internet use. Are other speakers better? Sure, but I bet you'll pay more for them and have to accomodate an ugly subwoofer to boot.

4. Price: There are not many other worthwhile alternatives that offer this sort of quality at this price. The Altec/Logitech crowd designs range from comical and horrendous to just plain tacky. The JBL designs are cool but like a BMW, their reliability sucks. Bose is laughably overpriced. Really little to complain about here.

So there you have it. Great looking. Excellent Design. Terrific Sound. Good value. What more do you need?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile great sounding speakers, October 30, 2009
I bought the creative T20's and thought they sounded good. Then I found out about the T40's and decided I had to have them. The T40's have unbelievable sound and can be connected to anything with an earphone jack (PC, TV, MP3 player, etc.). The bass sounds great for such a small speaker. A subwoofer would have been nice but these speakers still sound good without one. They are kind of expensive but worth it. I connect my MP3 player to them thru the headphone jack and it sounds like a full size stereo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 2/0 Speakers, April 1, 2011
I love 2/0 speakers. I had a great 5/1 speaker setup (Logitech 5/1 Z-5300) which totally rocked but took up tons of room and I never used them at even half of their capacity in my room so it was total overkill. I had my eyes on the T40's for quite some time but passed them up for the aforementioned speakers because they were heavily discounted at 40$ less. Sigh, big mistake. Well finally jumped on the T40's when they were on sale for 120$ and I am now perfectly content.

Pros:
Small footprint. They take up the same footprint as my Logitech X-140 2.0 speakers and are only a couple inches higher. The key difference is that they are about 3x deeper from top to bottom as the thinnest part of the X-140 and the Creative T40's rock much harder of course.

Great looking. Glossy front, matte body around other 3 sides, slick looking silver buttons.

Good build quality and craftsmanship. Rock solid, nice heavier weight to them. Thin side to side which is great for most computer setups and deep so they use that space going back to the wall. Very nice.

Powerful sound. This is why they cost so much. I cranked them until my ears hurt (Just for testing purposes) and there was no distortion of any kind whatsoever and that was only 3/4 volume. If you want great speakers that rock and take up minimal space for your PC or even TV then these are relatively small and incredibly powerful.

Cons:
Price: I got these on sale for 120$ otherwise I may have once again passed them up. Are they worth 140$? IMO yes because I really dig 2.0 Speakers and this is a very powerful as well as good looking speaker set. Personally I do not think they are worth 140$, I would never pay more than 120$ for them as that is my hard point. I feel that they should cost 100-120$ but that is just my opinion. However if cash was less of an issue I would take them without a second thought.

You have to screw the plate onto the bottom of the speaker. For some reason the screws are too wide and actually do not screw all the way down and sink into the holes! Quite odd. A screw with a smaller end cap would have sat perfectly. On one of the speakers the top of the screw is literally a hair away from my table. Could possibly lead to scratching if you do not seat them tight or if they come loose over time. I am baffled that such an awesome system could contain such a silly mistake as simple as a screw. I just can't fathom why they can't use smaller heads that seat better in the hole they made for them. Silly but small nonetheless.

The Yellow Cones. They look nice in the pics but upon receiving them the yellow is rather dingy and looks like a faded yellow hazard/fire hose strap. Not terribly appealing so I left the screens on and they look great. I would love a deep red color on the cones. That would be sweet and look lethal.

The dials are great looking but three issues. One, they have a tough resistance when you turn them. This has a quality feel to it however, Two: They are VERY sleek/polished thus slippery. So getting a grip on them to turn them takes a little more effort than usual. Three: The little dip that tells you where the volume/bass/treble is at is very small and incredibly hard to see in lower/low light whatsoever. I would dig some nice ridges going around the dials and a deeper dip or even a notch that can be felt. That would be perfect and it would not look that bad whatsoever.

Tip:
At first I put the speakers on each side of my monitor and angled them slightly towards myself in the center. I found out however they sound better if you put them straight so they are kind of pumping the audio by you, not at you. Sounds noticeably better.

Like everyone else says, you need to break them in before the cones loosen up. Yes, they sounded a bit tingy out of the box. A couple weeks later of light-mid use and they softened right up and are drowning me in clear and powerful audio.

Final:
Don't get me wrong, none of the cons are a big deal except pricing which is a little high for my tastes but the product is rock solid and awesome looking. So I took one star off for the combined "annoyances".

I am no audiophile so I can't tell you how these sound with (insert audiophiles snobbish band tastes here). I can tell you after you break them in they are loud, clear, thumping, rocking with no distortion on the quality MP3's I buy from assorted music artists at Amazon as well as games and movies no problem. Not to mention they are sleek and do not take up a lot of room whatsoever.

Highly recommended if you want a VERY nice set of 2.0 speakers albeit at a slight premium concerning price. I like these so much I wish Creative would make some uber awesome T80's! Make them slightly fatter and a bit higher with red cones, sweeeeeettttt! The price would make me hide in shame but still.... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Excellent, August 12, 2009
For a computer speaker, this is unbeatable for both quality and user-freindliness. very simple buttons: volume, bass, and treble. Sound is excellent. It's like a small concert playing in my room. But it probably can't satisfied those who are used to complicated and wired sound systems. But for a computer speaker, I believe few can beat this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too little bass, December 29, 2009
KAC453 "Harold" (Thomasville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these speakers because of excellent reviews and the fact I wanted a 2.0 system not having room for a sub-woofer. My previous speakers, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0, lost function in the volume control so that any adjustments resulted in static and loss of the right speaker. These Creative speakers are slightly larger, have very smooth controls, and independent bass and treble adjustment. They are solid, well built, and well packaged. I am not a "boomy bass" lover and primarily listen to opera and classical music with a little country occasionally. These speakers have excellent mid range, treble, and presence, but the bass fall off is severe and far more than expected in speakers this size and price. The fall off is severe enough to very adversely effect the tonal quality of sopranos as well as tenors. The bass control and increasing volume does little to improve the bass. Kettle drums are essentially inaudible and the rich tones of cellos are just not there because of the bass cutoff. My old Klipsch speaks have far better tone and remarkably stronger and tighter bass. Even my $20 ten year old Altecs do better in the bass department.
In spite of their quality construction, excellent controls, and excellent mid to high clarity, I would not buy these speakers again or recommend them because of excessive bass cutoff.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 5 months of light use., August 12, 2011
Right (main) speaker started crackling and then died. Left speaker is still working. Wasn't listening to music at the time. No return emails from Creative. Good speakers while they lasted though.

Rate and Discover Movies