Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on October 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a Vine review of the Creative Labs ChatMax HS-620 Gaming Headset. I requested the headset because generally I like Creative Lab products but have not been entirely pleased with Creative's Fatal1ty gaming headset which I already own. I was curious to see how the HS-620 compared to the Fatal1ty.

Audio: The Creative HS-620 audio is better than the Fatal1ty in hearing subtleties in both game play and when listening to music. The HS-620s are slightly better at eliminating outside sounds than the Fatal1ty. An important note is that other people report they hear me more clearly on the HS-620 over the Fatal1ty.

Cord Construction/Quality: Both the HS-620 and the Fatal1ty have cords that could be hardier by having better strain relief for the cord exiting the headset and at the connectors. Creative improved the color coding on the Fatal1ty connector. The HS-620 only had a sliver of color on the metal parts of the connectors and the Fatal1ty has the entire connector color coded. Both the HS-620 and Fatal1ty have inline volume controls that are positioned on the cord in such as way as they get hung up on the desk as I move around. I would prefer the control be higher or lower on the cord so that it moves freely.

Headset Comfort: The HS-620s are lightweight and comfy on the head. They have a light cool fit around the ears which is important to me for using the headset hours at a time. The Fatal1ty is tighter, hotter, and feel like they crush my ears against my head for long term play.

Mic Construction/Quality: The HS-620 mic has a shorter boom and smaller head so that it is located on the side of my face when in position. The Fatal1ty has a longer boom and for others to hear me well has to be in front of my mouth making it hard to eat or drink without pulling it away. While a smaller point, one that bothers me is that the Fatal1ty is distracting as it is in the periphery of my vision.

This 2011 Vine product had coupons for free music and audiobook which terminated in 12/2009 and 12/2010 respectively.

Surprisingly the individual differences are not largely significant but all together they are enough to prefer the HS-620 over the Fatal1ty.
VINE VOICEon October 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The price is enticing on this Creative headset, but the mic never worked for me so it's only really half of a product. Still, at this price point, you'd be hard-pressed to find a headset that sounds this good and feels this comfortable. However, due to the dual 3.5mm stereo jacks (headphone + mic), it does not accommodate all audio cards -- particularly my 7.1 Realtek onboard audio card.

I read some other reviews that seemed to be pleased with the mic quality, but the mic never worked for me. By flicking it with my finger during a recording, I was able to tell that it did indeed have a connection, but it only picked up my voice very faintly. It is probably a defect, which is unfortunate, though not surprising after seeing the "Made in China" label.

Because my onboard Realtek audio card does not have a headphone jack, it's not possible for me to use this product as a chat headset anyway. Therefore, the non-functional mic is rather moot. So if you are like me and you don't have an *extra* line-out (or "headphone" jack) on your sound card, you probably won't be able to use this product as a chat headset either.

To test the sound, I plugged into the headphone jack on my Creative speakers on my desk. Obviously the mic jack would not reach the back of the computer at this point. The sound quality encompasses the full spectrum. The bass is rich and the audio is clear. It easily meets my standards and blows away any earbuds in the same price range.

The over-the-ear drivers are padded with what seems like soft microfiber -- almost fleece. It feels nice. Beyond that, this is a very "vanilla" headset. There's zero noise-dampening both from the environment and out to it. People hear what you're listening to, and you hear them. The price is by no means a rip-off, but there are definitely better products out there if you have some more money to spend. My preferred headset is the Logitech G330, which uses a USB adapter that provides both compatibility and functional benefits by showing up as an extra audio device in the OS.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an average gaming headset suitable for casual online gamers. Hardcore gamers may want to spend more on their two-way headsets.

MUSIC/VIDEO SOUND: These headsets have adequate sound. I believe this is mostly because these are over-the-ear headphones that don't completely cover the ear. The highs are bright and the mid-range frequencies are good, but the low frequency sounds don't "thump" like on higher end products. Full ear cover headsets and ear buds provide better quality sound.

NOISE CANCELLATION: The noise cancellation qualities of this headset don't sound any better than other mid-range priced products, which is to say playing online against/with others can be hectic with occasionally chaotic and difficult to decipher communications.

The headset didn't come with a USB adapter and won't work with my PS3 without one. Additionally, the cord is only 8 feet long. This is too short to be used for game play accept in small spaces and relatively small screens.

This headset would make a good entry level headset for someone just getting started in online/multi-player gaming. It's okay for music/movie listening. Three out of five stars.
on February 14, 2013
The sound quality on these isn't as good as it could be. Also, all of my friends complained that the microphone caused constant static and buzzing on their end. I tried both the front and back microphone plugs on my computer with no change. They're good for listening to music, but not much else.