I read all the reviews a hundred times and ended up more confused than when I started. So, let me offer my honest opinion. These are great computer speakers, but if you are looking to use them for a party or to fill a large room, the volume may come up a little short. However, as computer speakers, these provide great clarity and will definitely enhance your music listening experience. The sound will definitely fill up a bedroom or office.
on May 10, 2009
I got these speakers about two months ago. They are small, look cool and sound pretty good overall. However...the volume started randomly going up and down about a month ago. Sometimes this happens when I'm not even touching the volume knob, other times I turn it up and it goes WAY up, sometimes down, or when I turn it down it goes up (sometimes WAY up). Sometimes I turn it down just a little and it goes almost inaudible.

So in short, when they work, they sounds pretty good and I like the look and small footprint - however, volume shouldn't go up or down without touching the volume knob and it shouldn't go up when I turn it down and vice versa...and it shouldn't BLAST when I barely turn the knob up. Overall, I'm disappointed I spent $70 on speakers that work so poorly.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2008
I have been looking for new speakers for my computer since i moved my JBL duets from home to the office. I was going to get another set of the JBLs: they have a great sound and what I thought was decent bass for a compact 2.0 speaker, I really wanted a speaker with a ready available headphone jack which the JBL's don't have: I'm glad, becasue i would have never bought the I-Trigues.

I was going to go for 2.0 again I kept thinking "all i have to do is find a set with really good ratings, the bass isn't that bad in a 2.0" I was laughably mistaken.

I considered 4 models in the 2.0 realm: Bose Companion 2, Creative T20's, Klipsch Groove and Behringer MS 16. I was hoping to stay around [...].

Behringer ruled out right off the bat... too big for my desktop.
Creative ruled out after a listen at Best Buy pitting them vs. Bose- the latter prevailed slightly, but high in the price range and really not worth that much better than my old JBL's.

I had my heart set on Klipsch... was going to buy them but saw this Creative 2.1 system on sale and figured I'd gamble.

Got these a day earlier than the tracking stated... bonus.

Unpacked and noticed right off that the satellites themselves are not as tall as I had feared... from the pictures they look awkwardly tall but in actuality are only a shade taller than the previous JBL's I had and I see those as relatively compact... the Creative satellites actually take up less room.

The sub is a good size, just enough room under my desk. The black and silver finish is very modern and looks smooth.

Hooked it up, like the wired remote... right on your desk with control for power, volume and bass intensity as well as a phone jack.

I went straight for a heavy track to put it through it's paces out of the box- Audioslave's Cochise. Figured since I have grown so accustomed to my 2.0's needing a bass assist via EQ, I'd ramp the bass up on the sub- NOT NEEDED!

This system is rich... nice highs and decent mids, and the bass is just fine at the lower reaches of the dial. My ONLY drawback is that I wish it had an input jack on the wired remote for an MP3. Not exactly that hard to plug in to the back though.

In sum, for the [...] I paid, I am happy my JBLs are retired to light duty playing low volume- no big bass needed- music at work. I look forward to this MASSIVE upgrade in sound quality. I'm a very picky audiophile (one of those "If it ain't FLAC I don't need it" types) I'm also a musician so I have a pretty fickle ear.

I figure this system won't last on Amazon at this price... probably being phased out. If in doubt just know that there is NO 2.0 system on the market that will get you close to the thump that this system will give you on even it's lower bass output settings. I doubt any 2.1 system could touch this one at the 50-100 range.

OKAY- after 2 months use, the wired remote is not working well- volume is up and down for no reason. i'm now to send the entrie unit back to Creative and see what their verdict is. I will suspend judgment until then.

Re- edit- 3 mos later- same old problem again even with a new system. I incorrectly assumed after this one misfired that my beloved Sony Vaio was the culprit- being 3+ years old I assumed my sound card simply wasn't beefy enough. I spent 30 more buck to purchase wiring to move my brand new creative system to my living room to give a little punch on the bass- thought I might as well use it somewhere. In 1 day- the same issues- up down up down. I am now cracking open the faulty remote to see if i can salvage anything. I am now 100% done with creative. I specifically sent the old speakers with a note : DO NOT replace with the same system- they ignored it. I am now shopping for a new set of computer speakers. Creative is not one of my choices. I warned you Creative- I advise anyone out there who is interested in having speakers that work to look elsewhere.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 10, 2009
Noticed the volume would randomly increase and then decrease, the first month. Should have took them back then right away.
Then one speaker would turn off and on.
and now its permanently off.
Never had a problem with several Logitech speakers and all sounded better than these anyway.
These are disposable junk.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've owned a number of Creative speakers in the past, and generally like their products. Unfortunately, there's no getting past the specs: The subwoofers have 5 3/4" drivers, and that's just not enough to deliver bass that sounds like it's coming from subwoofers, even in a smallish office. Moreover, the bass sounds don't "mix" well with the two satellites speakers: Rather than a sonic blend of lows, mids, and highs, you feel like you're listening to two separate systems, with the highs and mid-highs sounding somewhat distinct from the other frequencies.

I wasn't looking for audiophile perfection, not at this low price, and they probably beat most non-subwoofer systems costing $25-$35 dollars. However, were I to do it over again (I donated these, by the way, because of the sound quality), I'd spend more money for a larger subwoofer speaker. You might want to check out the reviews at CNET for 2.1 speaker systems that fit your sound needs and budget.

The system is ligher than some others in the line, and the subwoofer has a nice look to it. Those stoplight satellites are a matter of personal taste. I didn't like them at first, but eventually got used to them.

One more thing. The whole speaker system powers on with a circular on/off device that plugs into the subwoofer via a cable. Should that cable connector break (as it did with another Creative system I had), you can no longer turn on the system (i.e., it's broken). Just use reasonable caution so that the cable stays put.
on September 5, 2008
I was in awe! for 57 bucks, you have 2 stylish speakers, and subwoofer that has enormous power, its WAY too powerful on full power. The sound quality is outstanding, it rivals big stereo stereo speakers that cost over $200. Now I only listen to music at my computer. I have to say my favorite is the subwoofer. It gets the extreme low ends, it will impress anyone with such powerful sound. Easily fits an average tv room. It also works great with games, gunshots and engines come alive. You can either connect sound from a pc, or even a tv or dvd player, as it has a 2 prong adapter. I would 100% recommended this, for anyone looking for good, under 100 dollar speakers. In my opinion, they could cost $150 and I would still get them. The price they are now just makes it even a better deal.
on October 2, 2008
Great sound for the price! I even hooked them up to my hdtv to see if it would work and the sound was great compared to the puny speakers on the hdtv. If this came with a remote I would by another. I realize these speakers do not compare to a full blown 5.1 home theater system, but work well for smaller spaces and on my pc.
on March 18, 2009
Please see my added comments at the end. I originally bought these and was pleased but now they suck.

I just purchased this system to supplement my new iMac. I needed something that was small but with good sound balance. I visited my local Best Buy and listened to the system they had. I was surprised that most the 2.1 systems sounded fairly good but I am not a hardcore audiophile. I was recommended this particular model from the Apple forum. For only $53 and Amazon's great return policy it was worth the gamble. I am very pleased with the sound with iTunes; a great balance of all the sound fields. The subwoofer is pretty powerful and I have it set below the mid point. This unit is powered by AC and has a wired remote that controls: on/off, bass and volume. I live in a small studio and the maximum volume is actually too loud. Volume set just above half fills my apartment no problem. Aesthetically these speakers look great, as a bonus they actually match the color of my new iMac. I am deducting one star because to use as gaming speakers more time adjusting settings is required. I bought these mostly for music but do play World of Warcraft. The settings I used for music did not translate well for WoW. I had to make adjustments both in game and on the remote. Games seem to amplify the "lows" a lot more. However, once the adjustments are made it sounded well, the downside is you will have to adjust the remote each time you go from music to gaming. Output seems good for videos as well but I only watch podcast and movie trailers so I cannot comment on watching a complete movie. In the end, I would highly recommend this system for someone with a limited budget who is looking for a system for music and light gaming.

UPDATE:

Not even a year old and the subwoofer has a constant fluttering noise coming from it. I am breaking down and buying a set of nice Altec speakers. This were good for the first nine months but like other people have mentioned horrible sound quality after awhile. I changed my initial 4 star review.
on October 21, 2008
I have been using these speakers for about a month now, and I am extremely happy with them. I was concerned that someone mentioned that they might not get loud enough, but that hasn't been an issue. I switched to a 2.1 system because my 5 year old 5.1 system was falling apart, and the bass was way too loud. The lowest setting on my old subwoofer was way too loud, so that was a major concern with the system I decided on. It has a dial on the side of the volume controller for bass. It is nice being able to use the full range of the sub.

PROS:
1. Cheap - I don't remember what I paid for it, but I remember thinking that it was a steal if it worked well, which it does.
2. Easy connections - Speakers plug in through mini TRS jacks, standard headphone jacks. You dont have to deal with twisting copper wires and making sure you don't mix up the black wire and the black wire with the white stripe.
3. Aesthetically pleasing - Lets face it, the speakers look pretty cool.
4. Compact - I was surprised how compact the system was.

CONS:
1. Probably wouldn't be loud enough for a large party.
2. No remote - if you-re lazy like me and want to control your volume from across the room, you're out of luck.

To be honest, I can't really think of any more cons. The box even came with one of those RCA jack converters, so you can plug in your DVD or game system.
on December 3, 2008
After researching a number of speakers (Logitech, Altec Lansing, Creative) both online and in the store, I thought these sounded 95% as good as the Logitech Z-2300, and were much more compact and would fit perfectly in the space I have available. And for the price, I thought I was getting a bargain. Let me be clear, the sound out of these speakers is fantastic. The price, the size, the style, all excellent. HOWEVER, the interference from my cell phone is just ridiculous. Every 5-10 minutes I get this deafening hiss that lasts for 5-20 seconds as my phone gets a text message or checks email. If it weren't for that, these would be perfect speakers. But if you have a smart phone that checks email occasionally, or receive texts, or intend whatsoever on keeping a phone within 10 feet of these speakers, DON'T BUY THEM. You'll wish you didn't; they'll drive you nuts. It's a little difficult to enjoy music that gets interrupted with some pretty incredible interference every 10 minutes. These speakers are going back to Amazon, and I'm going back to the store, cell phone in hand, to find a comparable set that won't hiss at me when I least expect it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...