Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creative Quilts from Your Crayon Box: Melt-n-Blend Meets Fusible Applique
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon June 12, 2012
If the technique in this book was as easy as described in the introduction, I would've given five stars. I was undecided on whether to go with 3 or 4 stars, so to be nice I just went with 4.

I have used permanent ink on fabric with great results, I have always loved coloring, and I am a pretty darn good at all kinds of drawing and painting. So I was not in the least intimidated to try this melt & blend technique. I only mention that because in the introduction she makes a point of saying how well everyone does with the technique, even non-artistic types who were initially too intimidated to want to try it.

My first impression with the technique, was that it was a cumbersome procedure, without the benefit of producing great results.

The main two issues were:
1. The crayons do not stay melted for very long, and you can't melt much at a time. You have to keep melting a small amount, coloring, and re-melting more. You really need to have your iron right beside you, unless you want a lot of extra exercise getting up and down!
2. Although some colors blend fairly well, some do not. You kindof get used to how one color applies, then when you try another, Yikes!!

It's obvious that beautiful works can be accomplished, as proven by the great photos in the book. But believe me, it is not something that is easy to produce the first time you try it.
So after that first experience, I had four friends from my quilt guild over. We all made sure we had all the supplies necessary at our fingertips. We each had our own crayons, we had the proper napkins, etc. Everyone was really excited to try the technique,..... but no one was pleased with the results.

We finally just started playing around with other techniques. We found that it was better to lightly color a base coat over the fabric first (with regular unmelted crayolas), press it to warm it up, then color over it while warm, re-press to warm, then blend the colors while warm. Basically, just color on warm fabric, and blend on warm fabric, rather than continually melting a separate little puddles of crayon. Also, we all thought it would be easier to color our patterns this way without the fusible web, and then put the web on afterwards. Because with the original way, all of the stickiness on the underneath side of the applique piece was melted into the fabric by the time it was all done. Which is probably why the author recommends fabric glue to hold down applique pieces on the background!

So bottom line, the procedures outlined in this book were not impressive to me, or the four other experienced quilters/applique'ers that came to my house and tried it. Maybe with practice things might improve, but like I said it is to cumbersome to melt, blend, melt, blend, melt, blend, etc.

On a positive note, the patterns are simply beautiful, and a couple of the guild members want to buy the book just for that reason. As for the coloring, we will use inks, paints, or a different method of crayon work! I've tried this method twice now, and I won't be trying it a third time. I will however, try a different method of coloring these beautiful patterns!
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2012
I work as a teacher in a local quilt shop. We have started teaching Terry's tecniques in a class series. All of the students are loving it and have produced awesome projects. They are returning for our 4 part series that follows the lessons in the book. The key really is keep your workstation organized, iron close at hand and your working surfaces very hot. The applique sheets that are thicker work great for this as they keep the heat and do not cool off quickly. I have tried several brands of crayons just to see if it was necessary to use Crayola and "YES" it is necessary. Other brands do not melt well and some do not melt at all. The key is keeping your fabric hot and the area you will be melting the crayon on hot. That seems to be the hardest thing for most people with the technique. We all have that fear of burning or scortching our fabric. Heat it up good!! That is the key to sucess with this method. My classes range from the ages of 16 to 76 so far and they have all had great sucess. I love how good the directions are as to what colors go where. Using crayons on fabric is a reverse process from the tole painting method where you go from a dark undercoat and layer colors on top. With Terry's method you start with your light color and go darker with shading. I have even experimented with spattering the crayon like you do on many tole painted projects and it works great when the crayon is heated up enough to allow you the working time. A great book written in very easy to understand language. I have many hours of fun with Crayola crayons in my future.Crayola 64 Ct Crayons
VINE VOICEon September 7, 2012
When I saw this book, I was excited as I love the colors in my box of 64 crayons. I thought it would show me quilts that used fabric in those colors. Boy, was I wrong. It is a book that shows how to melt crayons and paint the melted crayon onto fabric which you cut out and make appliques. The technique instructions are very well written and following them would not be a problem.

While the technique is very creative, I can't imagine actually using a quilt made with such a technique. Therefore, these quilts are for items that don't get washed repeatedly. Those are not the kind of quilts I enjoy making.

While the items made with this melted crayon technique are beautiful, I will not be making them as I make quilts that my family can curl up with. If you are looking for display items such as wall hangings, this book will provide you with a new technique and beautiful pieces.
on June 28, 2012
I was kind of nervous; thinking melting my crayons and painting it on fabric. What?! But, I am having so much fun. I even ended up surfing the internet for other line drawn images to color on fabric. The key is to use your iron on the hottest setting it has. Iron to the right, crayons to the left and tons of fabrics with the applique stuff already on it. I had a blast and I showed it to my friends and cousins and they are having fun too. I love the look of it. Get the 96 different colors of crayons; because it gives you so much more to work with in shading. Fun! Fun!
on July 12, 2012
I took the class at my local quilt shop, Terrie is a great teacher and the class was so much fun. Her quilts are amazing. She is so encouraging, which really helped. And I must say, I feel I am pretty good at art and crafts, but seeing Terrie actually do and show us sure helps. Watching her actually do it and explain as she is doing it makes the process flow perfectly. In her class she explains what can happen (negative) if you do not do it as she explains. Even using a different brand of iron on "stuff" messed up my applique.. I made sure I bought the exact kind she told us to buy!! Made a big difference!! I would highly recommend the class, even if you think you can do it just by reading the book!!
on December 14, 2014
Such a creative and inspiring book! The how-to photos are excellent and the written instructions are clear, concise and very easy to understand and follow. The finished projects help to provide so many unique ideas. Who would have thought that a box of crayons could be so much fun!
on March 17, 2012
The book gives very detailed instructions on how to easily achieve great results. Its an easy read, has a few projects to get you started. The projects can be used in different ways so that makes it easier to play. Its great fun and something that anyone can do.
on February 13, 2015
This book is exquisite! The projects are beautiful, the concepts are simple yet yield wonderful results. Terrie Kygar's book is a must buy if you have any interest in art quilting, coloring quilts, etc. her directions are clear and well illustrated. Novices should have no fear, this book makes it doable! Every pattern piece needed to create the beautiful quilts are right here in this book. This is absolutely the best quilt book I have bought in years!....and I buy a lot.
on March 28, 2012
If you love coloring on fabric, you will like this new technique. However, it does give detailed coloring instructions for coloring on fabric whether you use the "Melt and Blend" tecnique or not.
I have not yet tried the method described in this book, but I plan to. The instructions and photos are thorough, and the projects are interesting. I probably will use some different patterns with the technique. A well done book.