Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creative Walls
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Stationery|Change

on March 14, 2011
I am disappointed in this book because the ideas presented are limited and repetitive. The book has a bizarre focus on antlers and taxidermy! Based on the description, I was looking for ideas on how to display various collections of crafts and artifacts, but it seems like this thick book shows the same few images over and over again. It really only has enough content for a magazine spread rather than a full-length book.The text is unhelpful, merely a pep talk without technical details. I like the free-wheeling, be yourself attitude, but I need more specific ideas.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2011
This book snapped me out of a rut. I have been feeling bored with my home, and every magazine seems to have the same white kitchen, over and over, and framed botanical prints. BORING!

"Creative Walls" made me want to collect some crazy thing and stick it on my walls, just because. The look is bohemian and eclectic. While the style has a certain leaning to natural elements (yes, including taxidermy), it feels more new and fresh than anything else I've seen.

The author does have a distinct style; there is a cohesiveness through the pages that some will love and some will hate. However, the approach could be adapted to any style; you may find a new way to freshen a modern country decor (like mine) or make a spare modern space feel more homey without being outdated.

A caveat: They are starting with AMAZING spaces. If you live in a suburban subdivision with normal sheetrock and "builder beige," you could copy something straight out of this book and never get the same effect. Almost every room has aged plaster with gorgeous patina, and tremendous architectural interest. Um, hard to go wrong there. You could hang a Beatles poster in a room like these and it would seem artful.

Also, note that the subtitle refers to "your treasured collections." This book made me wish I collected something! It will be most useful if you already have a collection you wish to display in an uneexpected manner. If not, maybe you'll find some ideas of things you might like to collect.

If you are looking to add to your walls, and you are bored by what most mainstream media offers, and perhaps a bit more inspired by an Anthropologie catalog than Pottery Barn, this book is for you.
on March 25, 2011
This volume contains luscious photos of out of the ordinary living spaces. It's less 'how-to' and more 'why not?!' We see our walls every single day; why shouldn't they say something about us in the process?

If souless interior design books full of color wheel suggestions, proportion advice, and staid, predictible arrangements is more what you're after, definitely skip this. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, per se, but this book just oozes soul...which typically is only found within people who aren't afraid of odd collections and a wee bit of junk littered amongst their heirlooms.) I may be a bit Type A, all more the reason my home shouldn't be! This book is intended for the person needing inspiration or confirmation their no rules style is perfectly acceptable, if not highly appealing. If you need help determining how to get started with a very specific look or theme, or how to affix wall hangers on dusty artwork, this will not prove helpful.

This title proudly mingles with my other current favorites, "etc." by Court, "A Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of a Misspent Life" by Randolph Carter, and " The Way We Live With The Things We Love" by Cliff. If you're familiar with any of these, you will enjoy "Creative Walls". It's the Queen of England meets a yard sale. And as another reviewer stated, it's all eye candy to me!

ETA: those with a keen eye will notice Amazon has listed this as a 9-12 reading level book. While this does include kid and teen rooms, this is definitely a typo! Some sophisicated children would certainly eat this right up and in the loosest terms this is indeed a picture book, but wish Amaon or the pulisher would correct it as it did initially throw me off, lol!
on June 4, 2011
I wanted to love this book, but I echo a previous reviewer who described it as repetitive. There are many, many shots from the same home, with the same themes and the same general ideas. And I love taxidermy, steam-punk, and the aesthetic of the spaces here, so it's not a difference of taste that drove my boredom. There are simply too many pictures of similar spaces and ideas. And, this may also have been said, but the text is printed in a very distracting font. Plus, the text doesn't add much content anyway. I wish I had borrowed this book from a friend to breeze through, because even though I don't find it a great addition to my library it is an interesting look-through. I admire the style of the designer and I do love that she's encouraging a more creative approach to art displays. I just wish there had been more content, really.
on December 15, 2011
Bought this thinking I'd find new and interesting ways to display collections of objects and art, but not even halfway through the book I felt like my eyes were going to throw up from too much stuff on each page. I agree with the other reviews saying it's the same handful of ideas over and over again. The text is unhelpful and the content is extremely trendy. If you love antlers and taxidermy, this is the book for you. The inspiration photos are very cluttered and didn't seem like they had any real direction other than putting as much stuff up on the wall as possible. The text encourages you to be yourself and be daring, but to me it screams "throw everything at the wall and what sticks stays!"
on March 24, 2011
I loved this book and would have paid full price for it if I'd had to. I'm not looking for technical details, as the other reviewer. There are plenty of how-to columns on the web for that sort of information. What I LOVE about this book is the pure bohemian eye-candy photography. It is inspiration for those of us who don't have traditional homes. I live in a log house but really dislike the planned country look. This book gave me so many ideas about how to make this house my own and not be afraid of doing my own thing. I highly recommend this book!
VINE VOICEon October 30, 2011
I've looked through this book dozens of times, trying to figure out what it's supposed to be inspiring me to do. There's a lot (a lot) of clutter on the featured walls, so it's only mildly interesting to see what people hang, how and why. It's not totally void of ideas, but as inspiration, I have many other books I'd rather turn to.

I was also turned off by the fact that there's a lot of photographic duplication; many walls are shot from two or three different distances and perspectives, which kind of fools the reader into thinking there's more here than there really is. Other things bother me too, such as the fact that the houses themselves are unique and make the art look better than it would look on the walls of most peoples' homes. Also, there seems to be a trend in interior decorating books where an author with good contacts and access to designers' homes grabs a photographer, shoots the homes and voila, a book of spaces that may be pretty to look at but serves no real purpose. I got this on the bargain rack and at first, thought that's what I was getting. But I think this book will soon be headed for the used bookstore. Not recommended.
New blank walls can be liberating or somehow freeze up your creativity. I've got a rush of ideas -- enough to decorate Penn Station! However, since my house is not quite that large, I have to focus and edit!! Creative Walls gave me page after page of some gorgeous and eclectic ideas, and helped me focus and clearly identify what I would or would not want to actually live with. There isn't much here that I would copy line for line, but there is much to help organize my own creativity. This is a beautiful design book, but if you are looking for things to totally reproduce in your home, you might want to search elsewhere.
on May 9, 2012
I FOUND THIS BOOK IMPOSSIBLE TO READ with its mixtures of fonts and lower and upper case letters within the same sentence, FOR NO APPARENT REASON. It isn't really much more than photographs and descriptions of interiors, and is quite interesting to look through once for ideas, but that is all.
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2011
Room after room of inspirational eye candy! Encompasses so much more than just frames and the walls on which we hang them. There are literally hundreds of jumpstart ideas here for interpretation and extrapolation when visually merchandising our own spaces. The layout of the book is cool too; there's not a surfeit of verbiage, but a variety of fonts to catch our eye and capture our attention. Not a book for people looking for step-by-step decorating, but for out of the box diy style decorators.