4.0 out of 5 stars Good bluetooth speaker for the price
Published on August 28, 2011 by L. Kirk

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good.
This speaker is good enough for passive listening to music, if I am reading in bed, or nodding off. If I focus on the music, I find the sound quality lacking, but, hey, I'm a musician, so I may be pickier than some. I think the sound quality is somewhat better when you play the speaker loudly than at medium or soft volumes.

The setup, and build of the speaker...
Published on July 23, 2011 by GBoomer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bluetooth speaker for the price, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Creative D80 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I listened to the Creative D80 bluetooth speaker for several hours using a couple of different sources, and I was generally very pleased with the performance. It pairs easily to bluetooth sources (phone, tablet), has good volume range (although this is not the speaker to choose to blast tunes at a keg party), and reasonable frequency response for the cost. If you are looking for a budget bluetooth speaker, this one is worth considering.

PROS:

Sounds pretty darn good. No, it's not the equal of a $1000 Danish speaker. But it has very good sound for the money. The midrange is very natural sounding, treble rolls off slightly, lower midrange is boosted, and there is even a surprising bass presence thanks to a port in the rear. (This is a common equalization profile for mass market speakers aimed at the MP3-based market.) The speaker does very well with acoustic music, vocals, classic rock, jazz, etc. It does less well with classical, rap, any kind of heavy metal, or other bass-heavy types of music.

Clean design and finish. Speaker is made of plastic, but at this price point (and even at much greater price points), most things are. Still, the quality level is high.

Connects via bluetooth or stereo patch cord (auxiliary jack). The auxiliary jack is in the front of the speaker, making it easily accessible. So is the bluetooth pairing button.

Remembers pairing for up to 8 devices. If a ninth device is connected, the first one (oldest pairing) is erased.

CONS:

You have to be near AC power. At this time, the speaker runs on AC only. The power cord is modular, so it is conceivable that some time in the future, Creative may make a vehicle power cord accessory available.

Volume control on front only works when using the bluetooth connection. When using the auxiliary connection, the volume control is inoperative. You have to control the volume on the source device.

PHYSICAL:

Dimensions are about 13"w x 4.5"d x 4.5"h. Weight is about 2.3 lbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars great speakers , way better than expected, March 10, 2012
I actually bought 2 of these for somethign like $35 each in late 2011. gave one as a gift. they are a really great product, only reason I even looked into it was I saw some D200s in a store but didnt want to pay $85 . For $35-40 these are honestly nearly as good quality, just the D200s look nicer I suppose since they have a somewhat prettier design with the glossy plastic. that said audio wise, the D80s are great and compared to other systems out there are honestly fairly powerful (say the Z515 or some of those tiny systems like the monster clarity or whatever that cost more).

I do not get the reviews of people complaining that they dont have batteries for this model. they make the D100 for that and i'm glad they gave us an option of paying less for the D80 than the D100 (which is basically the same speaker with 4AA battery option for more $).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, I don't expect perfection for this price., December 1, 2011
The D80 appealed to me for a few reasons:
1. Price.
2. No wall-wart or mid-cord power supply. It has a simple, 2 conductor AC cord which plugs into the back.
3. ON/OFF switch, not a "standby" or soft-start switch. It has a rocker switch on the back that kills the AC. I've had speakers that sit there warming the room even when supposedly OFF.

Impressions:
It has two 3" full-range speakers so the sound is not full nor is it full-range, it lacks bass and highs. No surprise, I expected nothing more at this price.
Paired quickly with my iPhone4.
From OFF it requires a tap on the Bluetooth button to recognize my phone, pairs in about 2 seconds.
Does not remember volume level when powered down, comes back on somewhere in the middle of the range.
Other Bluetooth systems I've had exhibited horrible limiting, compression, or strange response curves. Terribly disappointed with my Griffin BT adapter as it has a weird clamping a few milliseconds after every loud note. The D80 doesn't show any of these effects.
Picking it up and carrying it is a little awkward, it's designed to just sit there. No place on front panel that is OK to grab, hold by top and bottom.
Unobtrusive, simple design. Should look good in any setting. Lighted ring around BT button is green and seems purposefully subdued. Blinks every 2 seconds or so when connected, solid when not.

I got this when it was priced low, wish I'd bought 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meh, June 25, 2012
Harv "Bryan" (USA , Virginia) - See all my reviews
This is ok for the money i suppose but i was not as happy with the volume or bass as i thought i would be so i also ordered the d200 and did some SPL test which i will list so you can get a feel if this is enough for you.
I got almost 10 DB difference @ 1 meter between the 80 and 200 it was going between 7 and 10 DB during play of the same song, the max volume was 103 DB @ 1 meter on the d200 and around 95 DB on the d80, but i think i could have gotten a little more out of both using a cable, it has been my experience bluetooth has a lower volume then direct connect. Anyone who is not aware 10 DB is perceived as almost twice as loud so this is quite a difference. The bass difference is huge compared to the 80, I just have a generic SPL meter "old radio shack" so i cannot separate the different frequencies but after comparing both back to back the d200 is quite a difference, now to be fair the 80 sounds ok its not distorted or anything just in a totally different league.
If your just looking for some easy to moderate listening the d80 is fine, i am not trying to slam the 80 i did gave it 4 star's because for the money it is a sweet little setup i just want to give people a good idea what to expect between the two, im still using the d80 with a laptop

As i said i used a cheap SPL meter which has never been calibrated since i bought it so i just use it for rough estimates although it should be close, but it would be nice if people would use a meter to give people a better idea of the volume instead of subjective opinions

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for a Great Price!, March 23, 2013
I have always had a toss up as to whether I would recommend Creative products, but this one definitely wins my approval. It is small and simple but packs a punch and is very clean sound. In small rooms it seems to be heavy on the base but your Bluetooth device broadcasting the music should have an equalizer on it to help tone that down. Otherwise, it produces a lot of sound and even in my bedroom it can get loud enough to hear it in my basement three stories down. GOOD STUFF. Definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution!, December 26, 2011
S. Arnold (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
I wanted speakers to play my iTunes library in my office. I got the Creative D80 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker at a great price -- way better than anything I found at the store and at about the same price. The Bluetooth connection is easy and the sound is great. Highly recommend for an inexpensive option to listen to you music.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the size and price, you can't beat this little speaker!, July 21, 2012
I use this speaker in my 14x14' bedroom and it is more than capable of filling the entire room with a nice, full sound. I love that because it's bluetooth, I can just perch it up on the top of my bookshelf and only have to touch it to tap the connect button (which provides a nice shortcut to connect to your audio player after the initial setup). I use this speaker with my iPhone 4s and it works flawlessly. Much better solution than using a speaker dock--I can still connect my iPhone to a regular outlet to charge and have the speaker on the other side of the room. I am still blown away every time I use it that I can control my whole library and volume level from the palm of my hand, and, if I want, walk from my bedroom out to the hookup in my car and never miss a beat of the music. And for $30? Unbelievable. I've officially waved goodbye to physical CDs. Love that I can now listen to Spotify, Pandora, and my iTunes/CD collection all through one device.

The addition of a line-in port on the front of the unit is also a nice touch, although I've yet to use it.

Sound quality is really quite good for the size and price of the speaker (for what it's worth, I am an audio mixing engineer). Anybody stating otherwise on here is simply not being rational or realistic in their expectations. The unit is smaller than I expected, with better bass response than I expected (much better than the old boom box it replaced, which was quite a bit larger). It's not going to shake the room, but it's enough to achieve a balanced sound spectrum. The speaker is a bit heavy in the lower midrange, so some EQ at the player may be required to adjust to taste.

Bottom line: If you have your music library on an iPod or smartphone and need a small, stylish bluetooth speaker with enough power to fill a small room with decent quality sound, you can't go wrong with the Creative D80.

4.0 out of 5 stars Update - less Mixed results. . Happy camper!, February 13, 2012
An nice pair of wireless speakers. But now that I've taken delivery of them, I have to admit they aren't exactly what I hoped they would be, so I'm a bit disappointed; though in truth, I haven't decided if I am disappointed enough to return them.

First let's talk about the good:

* Physically smaller than the photos on Amazon.com would indicate. They don't take up much desk or table space. Don't weigh very much, easy to lift.

* Easy to pair with my Droid X2

* No power brick, just a removable cord that plugs into the usual household wall outlet. I'd prefer a non removable cord because it's one less thing to lose.

* 3.5mm input socket so that you can plug in non bluetooth devices into the speakers.

* Sounds pretty good, not great, mind you, but I think they sound pretty good for a wireless speaker system that costs less than $40.00. Mid range tones sound pretty good, the higher tones seem acceptable, but like many cheaper systems the bass tones sound shortened and a tad 'hollow' though not so bad I couldn't listen to them. Good enough I think for causal, noncritical music listening and watching video (more on that in a bit), but not for those who really want/need crisp, clear sound across the entire sound spectrum

Now, lets discuss the things I don't like that much.

* It needs a 3.5mm headphone jack. Wouldn't it be great if you could connect this to your favorite music source and then plug a standard mini-headphone into it so that any set of headphones are effectively wireless?

* The input socket is on the Center FRONT of the cabinet. An ugly and somewhat inconvenient location. The front is OK just not center! Though the side or back would be better for auxiliary input.

* The removable power cord fits a bit loosely. I'm not a fan of removable power cords, especially when there is no place within the device to store the cord when moving it. It seems well designed for losing.

* But my biggest disappointment is that it is really better for music than it is for video. The sound and action of the actor's mouths are just a bit 'off'. It isn't WAY off though, just a bit off. The sound and the actor's lips stop at roughly the same time, but the lip movement is never quite in synch with the words. It isn't so bad that it is annoying, but it is bad enough that it is distracting.

The problem may not lie with this particular set of speakers, I've done some research (after the fact, of course!) and this complaint has been raised about other bluetooth listening devices as well. My suspicions are that the problem lies with Bluetooth technology and isn't something unique to these speakers.

But either way, I was looking forward to a wireless remote video sound set up, but It looks like I'm going to have to continue to rely on cables. I think Amazon and Creative should change their descriptions to clarify that while these are fine for music, they really aren't ideal for watching video. I do listen to music, and this speaker system IS convenient, I might keep them, but my enthusiasm is reduced.

To sum up, if your primary use will be for listening to non critical music or radio, I think you'll be happy, for video, not so much.

2/16/2012 - Update
I need to take back my comments regarding this device's suitablility for video. When I took delivery I tested the video on my Droid X2 There was/is a lag as described above whem my droid was playing a video from Netflix. However, I just took possession of a new i7 based HP Omni quad 220 machine, and the lag, if still there, is not noticeable. I guess a better multitasking platform made a big difference.

I am now quite happy. Happy enough to raise the number of stars in my rating from 3 to 4. Which in my mind means it went from, "It's OK, I don't feel cheated" to the better, "It's more than OK, it offers more value than its price would indicate".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but takes some tweaking!, May 30, 2012
I bought the D80 for home use on a shelf with my iMac. I purchased the D100 model for my son about a year ago because it adds on-the-go capability with batteries. The two units are technically identical but differ mainly in case design. The D100 case is slightly larger and can be picked up more easily with one hand. The D80 case looks more elegant and moves the auxiliary input jack to the front. Both crank plenty of quality sound to fill an average room. The D80 sounded awful out of the box with too much artificial bass but this is easily fixed by selecting "Dance" on your equalizer and making slight adjustments to taste. Once you set it (and forget it), it sounds amazing with all types of music. Choose the D100 if you will need it where electrical outlets are not available (25 hours on battery) or save some money with the D80 for home use. Both units are an excellent value!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good., July 23, 2011

The setup, and build of the speaker are good.

I almost returned the speaker because it sometimes makes little buzzing noises. If this happens during quiet passages in music, it bothers me... IF I am paying attention. During loud music, you can't really hear the occasional buzzes.

But, the primary purpose of this speaker for me, is to listen to music while reading my iPad in bed. When I am doing that, I feel satisfied. So, I did not return the speaker after all.

I bought the green version, but since all the reviews are over here, this is where I am adding mine. I waited almost a month to buy this speaker because I wanted to buy either the blue or the pink one. But they never became available.

Creative D80 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
$49.99 $39.99