5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Big Bundle of Classic Comfort Reading
Published on November 15, 2011 by Cathytg

3.0 out of 5 stars All-time Favorites Botched Up
Published 13 months ago by Joann White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Big Bundle of Classic Comfort Reading, November 15, 2011
This review is from: All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics (Kindle Edition)
James Herriot's stories of life as a Yorkshire vet need no introduction -- they must be among the most beloved books of all time. Now at long last they're available in e-book form. I got mine this afternoon and I'm happy to say that they are fully formatted with chapter stops and the text is clean and proofread. There's also a nice introductory essay by the author's son, and a bio at the end. The table of contents includes links to the introduction, the front cover of each of the three books, and the bio; to get to chapters within an individual book, you have to select that book from the table of contents, then click forward a few pages to get to that book's own table of contents, which is a little less convenient than being able to reach all the chapter stops from the main table of contents.

Getting the first three books bundled together at a reasonable price is a perfect early holiday gift to us all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Down Memory Lane, December 22, 2011
Did you read these when they first came out? I did, and in some small corner of my mind, was sorry I'd discarded them. Kindle makes it easy to tote this trio around, so I've spent a week or so reliving Herriot's adventures as a country vet. It's been great fun to come across bits that stayed with me all these years and to discover stories I didn't remember. Herriot's style is warm and pleasant and his characters - clients, colleagues and animals alike - are vivid. I'll be sorry to finish the trilagy.

3.0 out of 5 stars All-time Favorites Botched Up, March 20, 2013
James Herriot's books have been favorites of mine for many years, so I was pleased to find them available in Kindle editions. However, it seems no one proof-read these editions after they were converted as I have found many incorrect words, punctuation marks where articles should be, and other indications of imperfect OCR conversion. These errors are not few; there are multiples present in every chapter of every book in this series! While in most cases it was easy to figure out the correct word (especially since I have read the print editions many times), these mistakes detract from the reading experience. I wouldn't mind as much if I wasn't paying full price, but when I'm charged as much as or more than the print edition, I have a problem with this!

Readers, if this is your first experience with James Herriot's writings, do yourself a favor and buy the real thing. You'll get the full stories as they were meant to be read, with no guesswork.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was not condensed, December 28, 2012
I read all of James Herriots books and loved them all. I laughed and cried and read them all again. I would have bought them for my Kindle library but I was disappointed these were condensed. I won't buy them this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Reading Experience, February 5, 2012
Cheryl J. Waggoner (Fairmont, WV United States) - See all my reviews
I read these books when they were first published and loved them. For several years now I have gone in every few months and clicked not the button "tell the publisher I'd like to read this book on my Kindle." At last they are available and I'm enjoying them every bit as much as I did the first time I read them. Some stories you'll laugh at and some you will cry over but always you will appreciate the skill of the author, Alf Wright. It's obvious how much he loved being a vet and what a warm and kind man he must have been. People who love these books might also want to read the biography by his son. His son James is also a very skilled story teller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Preferred the Books, December 7, 2012
Joan (Eureka, CA) - See all my reviews
I love the Herriot stories and was happy to see them as ebooks, but they were not as good as the originals. Too much cutting and editing has been done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, terrible editing, January 17, 2012
Herriot's books are a wonderful, humorous and heartwarming collection of tales of life as a Yorkshire vet in the 1940's' and are every bit deserving of the five star rating, more if it were possible. However, the editing on the Kindle version is aweful. Spellcheck catches misspelled 'non-words' but won't spot misspelled 'words'. For example, rough instead of tough, or than instead of that, where the word is still a word but the wrong word for the sentence. There are many of these mistakes in the book, along with missing punctuation scattered throughout. I don't think I've ever read a book with this many editing mistakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of books by James Herriot, April 9, 2013
The series of books written by James Herriot are some of the most entertaining books I have ever read and the best of all the books written by this author (I think I have read them all). True accounts of the life of a country veterinarian in northern England may not sound very exciting, but everyone I know who has read these books were enchanted and entertained by the content. Be prepared to laugh out loud at many points in the books. BBC even made a series based on these books.

I highly recommend these books to anyone. My first introduction to this series was in hardback and paperback in the 1980s. I recently purchased these much loved books for my Kindle. Rarely do I read books more than once, but this is my third time to read them and no doubt it will not be my last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but came without the box., January 13, 2014
Very nice set, except I expected the 3 books to come in a box to keep them together, as advertised. They wee not boxed however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, March 24, 2013
Read this in high school. Was wonderful to read again. Makes you want to go to Yorkshire and see those wonderful hills and dales and people. Mr. Wight was a fantastic author. Made you feel like you were actually there

ARRAY(0x9e1bd57c)