5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing Best Book!!
When you discover an author who talks to you through their writing, it is an exciting moment. Then when that author delivers one great series after another and connects them by beginning another series, well that is even more exciting.

Published on February 22, 2011 by LAS Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Miller Is Better Than This
Published on March 15, 2011 by Melissa McHugh

1.0 out of 5 stars Miller Is Better Than This, March 15, 2011
This review is from: A Creed in Stone Creek (The Creed Cowboys) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have two things to say before I explain why I thought this book was bad. First, I like series--I like to get to know my characters before they have their own book, I like that I get to see what happens to my characters after their book and one of the strong things about Linda Lael Miller is that she uses a lot of the same characters due to her McKettrick series. I also love Linda Lael Miller in particular, mostly because I like westerns and I can always count on her to write them.

What went wrong with this book is what usually goes wrong with series. A good romance series is connected but books should stand alone and this didn't happen. Melissa O'Ballivan didn't work as a character because I feel like I was obligated to read her siblings' books to understand her. I also have a very big problem with her occupation -- Miller writes Melissa as Maricopa County prosecutor, who has very little to do at all the entire day. That doesn't work for me and Miller should know better. It's her misfortune that I was watching an episode of Cold Case Files the day after reading this book and saw Maricopa County's District Attorney's office interviewed and saw that were many people involved in the office and that Scottsdale and Phoenix are part of the county. It's population is over 3 million. It's office wouldn't be in Stone Creek, AZ and Melissa would have more to do. If it's just a satellite office and she's one of many attorneys, fine. But that's not Miller's Melissa O'Ballivan is written.

So the heroine is weakly written and kind of just walks through the book. The hero is even worse. There's too much about his cute adopted son, his cute adopted dog, and his complicated family. He doesn't like strong female lawyers because of a past relationship. And what's all I know about Steven Creed. Oh, and he's sexy.

I never saw relationship that was more than physical in nature. I never saw why Melissa would decide to marry Steven over a past relationship. I didn't understand why Miller wrote a conflict between the two with Melissa as prosecutor and Steven as a defense attorney, and rather than have them work it out, Melissa decides she'll change her job after her term is over. That's not much of a strong female character.

The ending is rushed, as if Miller realized she had about two chapters to get these two together and instead of fixing the conflict, she just eliminates it. I didn't really get that Melissa was all that disatisfied with her job, so her decision to change it based on a guy she doesn't know that well isn't satisfying.

I love Linda Lael Miller, but the only thing this book did was set up books for Steven's family and tie up the last unmarried O'Ballivan. The only aspect I enjoyed was the subplot of Byron Cahill's redemption, but even that was relegated to the background and not well dealt with.

It's such a disappointment to me and I know Miller can be better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing Best Book!!, February 22, 2011

Linda Lael Miller is truly the Queen of contemporary westerns and delivers the beginning of another of her wonderful, heartwarming series bringing together the McKettricks, the Creeds, the O'Ballivans and Stone Creek.

Prosecutor Melissa O'Ballivan and Defense Attorney Steven Creed meet when Steven brings his newly adopted godson to Stone Creek to begin a new life. Surrounded by relatives galore, the inevitable occurs when they meet and have instant attraction and sizzle. Dealing with locals, parades and opposing sides of a case bring out the best and worst of each of them, but will they overcome their personal issues and learn to love?

Steven and Melissa are very contemporary but have the same issues and dynamics of their predecessors in Miller's historical pieces of their family tree. Love and relationships don't change, the only thing that changes are the circumstances and hem length.

I do so love the dialogue and banter between her characters. It is so natural, free flowing and emotional without being silly, syrupy or underwhelming.

The author brings to life the many different personalities who are entertaining and versatile while meeting Steven's twin cousins set up the rest of the series perfectly...introductions without too much information.

Sit back and enjoy the newest members of Linda Lael Millers series library. They welcome you into their lives with every turn of the page.

Originally posted at The Long and Short of It Romance Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, February 28, 2011
I was so disappointed in this book. I am huge fan of LLM but this one fell flat and well, boring. There was virtually no chemistry between the two main characters. I guess we were supposed to read between the lines and understand "the connection" they felt. Too many pages devoted to Melissa and Tom and Steven and Matt and the two women arguing about toilet paper. I love western romances and reading about a cowboy but Steven seemed to tear up at the drop of a hat. My picture of a cowboy is a Sam Elliott type. I want my heroes to be a little more rugged. Also, it seems that LLM is falling into a rut with these series books. I have enjoyed them but they all follow a pattern. I hope LLM doesn't fall into the Diana Palmer style of writing where the theme of her books are so repetitious. I so hope that the next book in the series is better.

1.0 out of 5 stars SUPER BORING!!!!!!!!, February 28, 2011
I have read almost everything Linda Miller has written and I started to see her losing the magic touch in her last series. This book was a complete waste of time and I would suggest saving your money. I thought I was reading about Andy Griffin and Helen Crump instead of the Hot and Sexy Creed Men. How could anyone think this book was good is beyond me. The story is so boring I just started flipping the pages and finally put the book down (No, I will not finish it).
Linda if you are listening please remember how good you use to be and bring back the good stuff. Bring back the Hot, Sexy and Tough Cowboys not Father Knows Best!

2.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for a better book., February 26, 2011
I have read Ms. Millers book's for years and keep hoping she will return to the quality writing of her earlier work. Her "Mojo" books and "Claire Westbrook" books were excellent. Her last few books (Romances?) were silly and a few phrases were repeated so often I almost stopped reading. Steven repeatedly ran his hands through his hair or ruffled little Matt's hair, the whole book just became over the top with car seats and teenage type romance. Could it be because she is now published by HQN? If you have not read Ms. Miller, you should read her earlier work.

2.0 out of 5 stars A lukewarm and dated, washed out Western romance, March 28, 2011
My Thoughts: I'm not an expert when it comes to Western romances, so far I have only read about half a dozen of this genre, but I enjoyed those a lot, so I was looking forward to A Creed in Stone Creek, especially given its single-dad-raising-an-orphaned-little-boy premise and that as a junior lawyer I like reading novels where the hero and heroines are law practioners. Unfortunately A Creed in Stone Creek left me lukewarm.

A Creed in Stone Creek takes place in nowadays' Arizona, but it feels dated, as if the reader is back in the '50s and that made me lose my grip on the story and its reality a couple of times.

Though there is a blatant black and white categorization: happy women living in Stone Creek are married, pregnant, great cooks and happy housewives, it wasn't even this that I took offense with. It was the fact that Linda Lael Miller tries hard to portray Melissa, our heroine as feminist and independent, but it rings hollow as Melissa is like a Stepford housewife from the '50s in mentality (except for the cooking) (which don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with, if it isn't stated every chapter how modern and independent she is). Melissa, after completing years of law studies, exams and having worked hard to be a prosecutor is having some sort of crisis not being happy with her work and personal life. I can understand her needing a change from law but at the end of the novel she takes a 180° turn and it's as if she becomes just one of the many streotypical small town women, shedding her personality and individuality.

Though I like my heroine and hero to discover each other and for their affection and love to grow gradually and develop realistically, I can understand that sometimes love can be more instinctive and overwhelming. However the romance between Steven and Melissa was completely unrealistic: two intelligent grown up people always experiencing the Earth moving, tilting on its axis every time the other is around? The very first time they glimpse each other only the lightning is missing, because it sure is described as if they have been struck with such a powerful attraction and blossoming love (without knowing anything about the other..).

Her smile nearly knocked Steven over. [...] Holy crap. Steven thought, because the ground shook under his feet and the sky tilted at such a strange angle that his equilibrum was skewed.

Their romance was instantenous and unfounded, and the hot and cold hesitation of Melissa felt very naive and immature. One minute she is:

Steven Creed. The man was a sin sundae, and she was so tempted to dig in.

Then the next she is acting all timid and virginal. I couldn't really know what to do of her hot and cold behaviour, which didn't fit the bill of her pantsuit, independent persona which was projected.

The love conflict/difficulties between the hero/heroine were forced and artificial; and Melissa despite being a mature 30 year old adult threw such irrational, stubborn hissy fits that Steven wasn't the only one not understanding what the hell was up.

The highlight of the novel were definitely the scenes about Steven's parenting and Matt's cute one liners:

"Is she anybody's mommy?" Matt wanted to know.
Steven swallowed. Just when he thought he has a handle on the single-dad thing, the kid would throw him a curve. "I don't know, Tex," he answered. "Why do you ask?"
"I like her," Matt said. Simple as that. I like her. "I like the way she smiles, and the way she smells."
Me too, Steven thought. "She seems nice enough."
"So if she's not already somebody's mommy, she might want to be mine," Matt speculated.
Steven's eyes burned. How was he supposed to answer that one?
"And she's going to make a parade," Matt enthused.

"I want Dad to marry Melissa," Matt said with so much enthusiasm that more people than just his grandparents heard the statement and turned to grin as they registered it. "But I'm not getting anywhere with it."

Matt mumbled something as Steven set him in the car seat and began buckling him in but, true to form, he didn't wake up.
"He's terrific," she said softly.
"I agree," Steven told her, after Matt was secured. They stood facing each other now, on that darkened sidewalk. "Of course it would be a real plus if he'd stop proposing to women."

My other main problem despite the romance lacking credibility and gradual progress was that although A Creed in Stone Creek is the first book in Linda Lael Miller's new Creed Cowboys contemporary western romance trilogy, it is too interwoven with her previous novels. I had a hard time reading and following the plot as a standalone. This I bet is something longtime fans might enjoy, but as a newbie Linda Lael Miller reader I was lost with the constant name dropping of dozens of secondary characters who were mostly just props in this story. Those who have read Linda Lael Miller's previous novels might have been familiar characters, but I just felt like the new kid at school exluded from the happenings because the characters just kept to themselves and closed their ranks.

Besides my feeling left out I also felt confused a couple of times when some characters were first mentioned this way, then a couple of sentences later differently, see for yourself:

"Looks like Tanner and Olivia are here," Tessa said, with obvious relief.
Melissa had gotten out of Steven's rig to speak to them. The two women were embracing, while Tanner took the stairs two at a time.
Steven nodded to him and stepped back and Quinn pulled Tessa in for a quick brotherly hug.

It took me two re-reads to realize that Quinn and Tanner were the very same person since there was noone else on the porch besides Tessa and Steven... But don't ask me why he has two names, it is never mentioned in the novel whether one of them is his surname or what.

Despite dozens of supporting characters being mentioned I seriously missed being introduced in more details to a few secondary characters, they seemed to act merely as props, which knowing that they had their own novel in the past I can understand, but greatly affected my enjoyment of the novel, since (again) as a new reader I couldn't place these characters.

There is a suspense subplot which in my opinion was completely unnecessary to the story.

All in all A Creed in Stone Creek is not a novel I will re-read, but it might be enjoyed more by those who have read Linda Lael Miller's previous series and know already some of the characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I've come to expect from Linda Lael Miller...., March 24, 2011
ckinaz (Peoria, AZ) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fan of LLM, however, if this were my first read by this author it would probably be my last. I didn't find the characters believable. Matt was too precocious, Steven excessively sensitive and frequently choking up or becoming teary over the least little things. Melissa didn't seem to have much going for her other than her good looks. I forced myself to keep reading expecting something intriguing or some interesting conflict to be just around the corner....unfortunately that was not the case. Dull , disjointed plot and flat from beginning to end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I fall asleep?, June 6, 2011
Ugh, what can I even say about this book? I didn't fully hate it, but I really really didn't like this book. Since this is the second book of Miller's that I've read, and I've disliked them both, I think this genre is really just not for me. So where do I start with the things I disliked?

1. Why does seemingly every single person have to have endured so much tragic loss of life or abandonment? I can accept the reasoning behind Steven adopting Matt, but nearly every adult in this book has some sort of serious death in their past, or a family member who up and ran off. That totally sucks, don't get me wrong, but it's annoying to read it over and over with every new character.

2. Despite all that tragedy, I didn't find myself crying once when reading any of this. And I would have liked to feel something when faced with all that horrible stuff.

3. Melissa O'Ballivan, rather than being a charming leading lady, just annoyed me. She seems to be a lawyer just so she can get "the bad guy", and kind of disregards the whole equal rights to a trial/lawyer thing. I mean, even if someone is caught red handed, they still deserve a fair shake in the eyes of the law! And what is with being willing to not have anything to do with someone just because they have a different viewpoint from her? Blah!

4. Matt is supposed to be 5, but he talks like an adult, or at the very least a teenager. I know that five year olds can talk, but I found myself thinking, "Seriously?! Kids don't talk like that!" It annoyed me to no end. You want a kid that talks like a teenager? Make the kid a teenager. There's nothing appealing about a youngster who acts a decade beyond their age, unless we get some kind of explanation like the kid is Doogie Houser Part 2, which this kid was not.

5. Since this is a romance novel, I would have expected some romance. Instead, Melissa and Steven see each other and both of them are instantly undressing each other with their eyes. I didn't feel any warming up to attraction, and the whole thing felt forced. I like to be able to fall in love with the male lead along with the heroine, and I just didn't do this. Maybe it's because Melissa was so irritating to me, I'm not sure. Steven seems attractive, but adopting a kid and doing pro bono law work isn't all it takes to get me all buttered up. I could be too jaded, but I really would have liked a little more coercing to get me to the point that I understand why these two are interested in each other.

Aside from those things, I felt like the plot was entirely too predictable. It could be that I read too many mystery romancey kinds of books, but I would have liked to wonder, even just for a little while, if these two were going to get together. Instead, we have what feels to me like fabricated fights and people who don't even explore each other before deciding to dive headfirst into their relationship. It's just a little boring, and on the whole, not what I was hoping for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of focus, April 4, 2011
It seems to me that Miller loses focus in her stories. This one is no different. I made notes in the margins throughout the book of things that I caught: loss of time in the story (a couple of different situations where they refer to a date/hook-up as "last night" when there was another day in between; loss of memory: Steven Creed and a kid named Nathan meet TWICE. (The first time was when the kid was arrested and Steven was going to represent him. The second time it was like they hadn't even met!)
I really hate books like this, when the author can't keep her facts straight (she did that with the Montana Creeds trilogy), not to mention subplots that are mentioned and completely dropped.
It's safe to say I'm not going to waste my time and money on the other books in this series...

2.0 out of 5 stars A creed in stone creek, March 5, 2011
I was very disappointed on the content of this book written by one of my most favorite authoress. I have read all her books on the Creeds and the McKettricks and was looking forward to another great stories. The adopted son of Stephen Creed was the most entertaining and interedted characted throughout the entire book. Was the only reason I finished reading A Creed in Stone Creek.

A Creed in Stone Creek (The Creed Cowboys)
A Creed in Stone Creek (The Creed Cowboys) by Linda Lael Miller (Mass Market Paperback - February 22, 2011)
$7.99 $2.16