VINE VOICEon October 19, 2010
As a rule I'm afraid sequels. Especially YA sequels. The spark of first attraction has usually burned out, the blush of first love has usually dimmed, and the mystery has usually been solved. I say usually because there are always exceptions to that rule and CRESCENDO is a big one. In fact, in many ways it's even better than Hush, Hush.

The writing is actually quite a bit better, with better pacing, better use of flashback memories, and better dialogue. The mythology of Nephilim is explored more fully, and Nora's own history and the mystery of her Dad's death are revealed in shocking, game changing detail. But the real pull in CRESCENDO is once again the alluring and poignant love story between good girl Nora and the ultimate bad boy Patch.

Patch, the fallen-turned guardian-angel, is every inch the bad boy we loved from Hush, Hush but with one important distinction. We know his motives now. He can be the same thoughtless, jealous, jerk he always was, but everything he does from spending time with Nora's arch-enemy Marcie Millar, to his increasingly cryptic and bizarre behavior, isn't as suspect as it once was. He chose Nora before, giving up his chance for humanity, his chance to experience touch, all of it, for Nora. I don't doubt him anymore. Nora, of course isn't as trusting. She sees Patch with Marcie and sees red.

And if you thought one bad boy wasn't enough, wait till you meet Scott. A childhood friend of Nora's (and by friend I mean he used to make her eat bugs) who moves back to town with his vintage mustang, brutal good looks, and a dangerous past. Scott, or as Vee calls him, Scotty the hottie, is trouble in a way Patch never was which means, in Nora's mind, he's the perfect guy to make Patch jealous. Yep, get ready for some killer fight scenes in CRESCENDO, and not just between the guys.

I don't know what it is about fallen angel mythology that resonates so much with readers, maybe it's the idea (at least in Becca's version) that they gave up everything for love that we find so appealing, or in Patch's case at least, that even as the ultimate bad boy, he can be redeemed. Whatever it is, it's working overtime in CRESCENDO. The romance is hotter, the suspense full of enough turns to make you dizzy in the hands of a lesser author, but with Becca, it's just enough to make you clutch the book tighter and thrill with each page. Until you reach the end....cliffhanger alert and it's a cruel one. All I can say is that the third book in the Hush, Hush series, Tempest, won't be published until Fall 2011. It's going to be a very long year.

Sexual Content: Kissing. References to sex. A few scenes of sensuality.
on February 28, 2011
Currently, I'm trying to decide why fallen angels would build an amusement park. Is it...an evil amusement park? Although, asking such a question would then bring up what fallen angels do in their spare time, which appears to be nothing much. The answer is then why not build an amusement park? I mean, they ain't doing much else.

So here's the thing. I kind of didn't loathe Hush, Hush like I'd expected. Besides Nora's impossibly shallow personality (and no, shallowness isn't excused when the main character admits as much) and a shocking lack of sense, I found it amusing enough to take another plunge into this series. What I found was a ramshackle plot (expected, given I wasn't quite sure what was happening in Hush, Hush either) and an amazingly stupid mystery.

You know who's after Nora after you've read the prologue. If by some chance you missed the big flashing neon lights with fireworks illuminating that plane that is writing the secret antagonist's name in the freaking sky, you get another fairly obvious kick in the shins about halfway through. And then again three quarters of the way through, which happens to be when NORA should have put two and two together. However, because she's too wracked with relationship issues and busy being short-sighted and gullible, the reader is left beating the book over their own forehead while Nora is asking multitudes of questions that take huge info dumps to answer when we more or less already knew who is secretly who. For Nora this is like rocket science. Motives are a little more tricky. As far as I can tell, the supernatural elements in this series don't have a reason for anything they do at all. They just are and do and that's pretty much it.

Plot holes abound. Patch is mysteriously absent, playing some game of "I can't tell you my suspicions or whatever because if I did that would mean this book would be, like, maybe sixty pages and clearly that's not a novel, Nora!" So we have some run of the mill family secret mystery (again, you know what's going to happen in the prologue...it's like the most obvious prologue in the history of ever) and break up drama (angels can make out with humans, but admitting to love is apparently crossing the line) to fill the time. Most of Patch's melodrama gets swept to the side with one easy little decision at the end that leaves one wondering why that wasn't an option three hundred pages ago. But no. We need a crazy fun house chase scene and flume ride of terror (a log flume gun chase is remarkably not as griping as you might think), which was not nearly as hilarious as I wanted it to be because Nora has to go nearly die again and get saved so she can ask enough questions to hopefully patch the holes in this remarkably dull plot. Strangely, no one asks why *insert name of character here* could have just killed Marcie, because the last I checked that probably would have accomplished their goal and then we could have just skipped to book three already.

Basically, even if there's going to be some grand reveal in the third book as to why and how Nora is vaguely important, I'm thinking I'm already gone.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After reading Hush, Hush I wasn't too excited to get started on this novel. A recent discussion in our house about sequels had me jumping in quicker than I expected. We were pondering if there has ever been a sequel in movie format that was better than the first one. While we didn't come up with any movies that we thought made the cut, I was reminded of a few books in which I liked some of the later books better than the first ones. (Southern Vampire Mystery Series, His Dark Materials, House of Night...to name a few.) Crescendo plays into that list as well.

I still feel the same way as I did before about Patch, there is just not enough there to like about him. He would never stand a chance as my boyfriend, no matter why he wants to say he's doing the things he's doing. His good qualities just aren't enough to justify his bad ones. And again, the first half of the book left me feeling like nothing was happening, it was just watching a crappy relationship get crappier.

However, I liked this book better than the first one because I actually didn't foresee what was happening until right before it was revealed and that was a nice treat. I liked the addition of a not-so-lovable, but entirely complex character who felt very well fleshed out and his reasons for being not so great were entirely justified. Nora seemed to get more of a grasp on herself and not be as helpless as she once was, though she is still too reliant on her friend Vee, but I love Vee, so I didn't mind that at all, that means she gets to be in more of the story.

The ending was once again left open so that there could be a follow-up and due to the final circumstances of this book, I do want to know how it is all going to tie together and how the characters are going to come out at the end. Those that loved Hush, Hush are sure to love this one as well as all the characters left standing at the end of book 1 are back and some have bigger parts to play in this one.
on July 21, 2011
"Crescendo" was everything that I did not expect it to be. In fact I think a better title for the book would have been "Decrescendo". A crescendo is a building, in musical terms, of sound. This book was so flat the entire way through that it was a fight for me to keep reading some times.

"Crescendo" picks pretty soon after "Hush, Hush" leaves off. Patch and Nora have been together for two months, but then they break up and so ensues the annoying back and forth game that is Nora's forever annoying inner battle between loving and hating patch. Nothing has changed much, except Nora no longer has a car, which I am assuming is simply to make a point, for Scott, at the conclusion of the novel. Nora's mother is still constantly out of town, Vee is as annoying as ever, but there is the addition of Scott, to whom I felt no attachment the whole novel, except to feel empathy for him.

Nora is the epitome of bad decision making. Every time she so much as suspects someone of sneezing in her direction her knee jerk reaction is immediately to break into their house. What?!?!?! What kind of seventeen year old girl does that? What kind of seventeen year old girl's "friend" encourages and accompanies her while she breaks into someones house to steal their possessions?

The book was too contrived and unbelievable to engross myself in. The dialog alone was so distractingly non-realistic that it kept pulling me out of that world and reminding me of the fact that I am reading a book. The dialog was too upbeat, rhythmic, and well....fake to me. There was one point where Nora doesn't even fully explain the situation to Vee but Vee seems to understand (and we know this is out of character for Vee as she is alarmingly naive to EVERYTHING that is going on around her!)

Again, I had trouble with Fitzpatrick's spacial awareness in the novel. In "Hush, Hush" after Nora's house was broken into the police were there in five minutes but in "Crescendo", however, when Nora is in trouble at her farmhouse she notes that it would take at least twenty minutes for the police to arrive. Continuity issues? Also, if the police would take twenty minutes racing to a breaking and entering report at Nora's then how does she walk to school? It just doesn't seem plausible.

Everything in this book was just so predictable and disappointing. Any time Nora went any where she inevitably pulled on a pair of "matchstick" or for a synonym "toothpick" jeans, a fitted tee, and ballet flats. Then, of course we are constantly reminded of Nora's crazily wild curly hair (we get it Becca...we've seen your picture on the book jacket).

Patch, don't even get me started on Patch. I was so thoroughly irritated with Nora's crazy assumptions and I love him...no wait I hate him emotions that I litterally would not have cared if Nora or Patch had died simply to end all the indecision. What a weak seventeen year old girl. While I don't believe fictional characters are meant to serve as role models...come on really? Where is this girls self esteem?

A lot of what I hated about this book came back to Nora being, simply stated, an unlikeable character. It's like when you're watching a horror movie and the innocent person you just know is going to die is walking through a pitch black house yelling, "Guys, is that you? This isn't funny? I'm going to bed!" Then, of course, we all know what happens next...dead in bed. I was constantly screaming at Nora in my head, "No you idiot" It was utterly frustrating.

The end, and by the end I mean the last chapter, was slightly redeeming because *spoiler alert* I had already figured out that Rixon was a bad guy. Foreshadowing was too heavy. Why else involve him to intimately with Vee and have her constantly gush over Rixon? Because he's bad...that's the way it goes. And if Nora's mother knows how much danger she is in WHY does she keep leaving her alone? Even the house fire wasn't enough to make her suspect anything? *End Spoiler aler*

The last chapter did hold one surprise for me that I did not expect, but I was angry I had to wade through so much much to get to one good revelation. Of course, I'll have to read the last book in this series, but I would have preferred if Fitzpatrick had done just two books and kept all the crap out of "Crescendo."
on December 14, 2010
I realize I am one of the minority that did not like Hush, Hush. I had a real problem with the fact the hot guy wanted to KILL the pretty girl, and I couldn't really move beyond that. We see a lot of jerks in young adult fiction these days. Some are tolerable. A lot are not. For me, their motivations really matter. There are a lot of the "I'm a jerk because I love you and I'm trying to keep you away from me for your safety." Was Patch one of those? Nope. He really did WANT to kill Nora. When did creepy obsessive become hot? Yes, Patch redeemed himself at the end, and that's what made me like him more in Crescendo. But Nora? Wow. She won my title for 2009's TSTL heroine, and it looks like she's going to repeat again this year.

What happened to Nora in Crescendo? She turns into a total SHREW. She's jealous, vindictive, insecure, angsty, and "woe is me" for way too much of Crescendo. Again, she makes STUPID, STUPID choices, many of these designed to get back at Patch. Even her reasons for breaking up with Patch made no sense. When she instigated their big break up scene a few pages after making Patch swear to love her forever, I just decided I could never understand her. I get the whole "I love you so I'm breaking up with you to keep you safe" which is pretty much Book #2 of the majority of paranormal series these days, but this break up just didn't make sense to me. Nora just came off as a jealous, psychotic, paranoid, untrusting girlfriend. Patch even tells Nora's she's crazy and that he "must be crazy for putting up with it"--I wanted to cheer that someone was finally calling Nora on it. Wow. Nora is a train wreck this whole book.

Patch, on the other hand, I liked loads better in Crescendo than in Hush, Hush. Sure, he had that whole mysterious seduction/obsession thing going on in Hush, Hush which some girls seem to go crazy for (not me), but he wasn't trying to kill Nora in Crescendo, which I liked. However, his whole not telling Nora what's going on was a really lame plot device. Pretty much 3/4 of this book could have been solved if he'd just told Nora the reasons for his actions. He had his chances in Nora's dreams, but he just wanted to make out with her instead. And what was he thinking setting up Vee with Rixon??? If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. Seriously, Patch.

I know I'm one of the few who didn't like Hush, Hush and Crescendo, but I like my heroines to limit the STUPID, DANGERIOUS choices. Some mistakes and a little irrationality along the way are fine and needed, but Nora, who's supposedly intelligent?, just can't stop putting herself in death's path. And doing it again. She's the pin-up girl for TSTL. And the two stars? That's for the highly addictive quality of these books. I admit--I read Hush, Hush and Crescendo in one sitting each. I couldn't put them down. But can Nora please acquire a sense of self-preservation before Book #3?
on September 6, 2011
Hush hush was bad. It came put during the paranormal vampire romance craze, but I had to see if it was different. It wasn't, aside from a touch of grittiness and mildly witty dialogue.
Seeing Crescendo at the library, I wanted to see if it got better. Surely the cliches and romantic tension are over? No. Patch is still the creepy, innuendo filled jerk he was before. He really doesn't show many good qualities and remains selfish and conceited. Nora too has no development. She is extremely irritating, almost as much as her twit brained bestie, Vee. Nora seems forced, like her emotions are overdramatic and the conflicts with Patch are unneccessary. They have no trust in each other and the whole relationship is a battle over superiority and egos.

The plot hasn't changed much. Same issues, same feel. Somehow I thought Patch being an angel would give him morals. Nora is an idiot for running back every time. Patch has control issues as the slightest truth told might (gasp!) give Nora some insight into what is going on and ruin the suspense! Doesn't matter, despite over foreshadowing, Nora is still dumb as a post. But hey, we wouldn't wanna miss any useless red herrings.
If you didn't like the characters in the first book, they just get more irritating. I don't suggest this book, and I won't give the third book a chance.
on January 5, 2011
After reading the first novel in this series and not really being impressed, I gave this sequel a chance. I thought that maybe it would get better. I was so wrong. This book was stupider than the first. At least "Hush, Hush" gave me a few laughs. Crescendo was very frustrating and made me angry! Nora is so stupid and Patch is a jerk.

Patch is Nora's guardian angel, but they have a small fight because Nora is angry he is lying to her and they cant really be together. They cannot be linked romantically because he is her guardian angel, and the archangels are watching them. Nora breaks up with him and then finds out he is with her arch enemy, Marcia Miller. The same girl they had a fight about. But Nora has no pride because she keeps going back to him. This book was just pathetic. Nora's character is really pathetic. I cant believe that Patch was ever an angel or even is one now. He seems more like a demon. He is selfish, mean, immature and a bad guy all around. The romance and attraction between Nora and Patch is never explained. He doesn't even have any appeal as a "bad boy." He is just a JERK. He even cheats on her with a girl that hates her and beats her up.

Then there is more of fallen angels wanting to become human and sacrificing nephilim in order to do it. I really do not get this at all. Why would an immortal fallen angel go to so much trouble to become an ordinary human? Especially when knowing that they will die soon and obviously go to hell for their evil deeds. It makes no sense to me at all. Although I must say the villain came as a surprise to me. Otherwise, this book really blows. I think Nora should smarten up and send Patch to hell because he is an idiot and should have never been an angel. With angels like Patch, who needs demons?

Miss this one, folks!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I enjoyed reading Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. It is a very quick, fast paced read. I flew through most of the 400+ pages in one sitting. The story jumped around quite a bit and I was never really sure who who was the good guy and who was the bad guy until the end. Plenty of twists and turns.

We don’t get to see nearly enough of Patch and I missed his interactions with Nora. Nora herself nearly drove me crazy but I still like her character. How many stupid decisions can one person make in a book?

Becca Fitzpatrick tells a great story. We were left guessing for most of the book but it made for a great mystery. There were quite a few holes that never got filled in but hopefully we’ll get those answers in the next book.

What a cliff hanger ending! Crescendo ended leaving me wanting to pick up the next book in the series. I have no idea when the 3rd book will be released, I can’t even find a title for it. I will most definitely be reading it when it is available.

Thanks to Katie at MundieMoms for this ARC.

Content: Plenty of innuendo throughout, some mild language.

Rating: 4 Stars – I you liked Hush, Hush then you will enjoy this sequel.
on November 26, 2010
Genre: Paranormal YA

Thoughts:

Let's face it this is one big hit in the YA genre. Especially for the new venue of Angel books hitting the book shelves. With a cover like this and the fact that you can never go anywhere without seeing this book splattered on every blog and book site there is, expectations were high. Sadly for me, they deflated all over the place.

The plot was pretty average. The take on angels, fallen, not, and Nephiles was pretty original. However, this book tried so hard for 80 percent of the read to be mysteries that the plot went no where. When a masked attacker kept popping up I couldn't help but groan and go, "Really again, where the hell is the plot!!" Answers were not forth coming until the last 20 percent. Where everything was suddenly dumped. Sure the ending was good, it had a plot twist in there that I did not see coming right away. Sadly the fantastic ending was blown by trying to cram everything all at once. This had potential, but Fitzpatrick spent so much time trying to make it mysterious that all the plot development that should have been sprinkled throughout the book was just shoved in your face at the end.

Patch and Nora's relationship was one of the more believable ones I've read which isn't saying too much. Patch is a creepy stalker. Don't get me wrong at the beginning of this book I was ready to join the legions of Patch fans. After a while his creepy stalking dominated the pages. We get zero information about Patch until that last 20 percent I was talking about. If we could have been fed that information during the story Patch would have developed nicely. Because all of this important stuff was jammed into the ending a lot of the emotions and plot was lost.

Nora herself, was a very vague character. She felt so blank. Of course her father had died and she had one friend. It was like her only purpose was to be there for the reader to insert themselves in her place. Trust me you are going to be doing a lot of self insertion out of shear desperation to get some kind of character depth out of Nora. Which sadly means you're probably not going to be happy with some of Nora's choices or reactions. If my life is being threatened, I'm not going to act like a love sick crack head no matter what the songs say!

Bottom Line: The only thing this book really had going on was the sensational cover. The plot was average, and the good parts crammed into an ending that ruined the experience. Patch, the little hottie, was too much of a creepy stalker. Even the when juicy info is finally dished out it's too late to get the appropriate character build-up. Out of sheer curiosity I'll buy the next book when it comes out in paperback.

Sexual Content:

Kisses and some sexual innuendos.

Rating: 2/5- Average/disappointing, library check-out
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2012
Okay so. Let me start off by saying that I did not like this book one bit. Normally I wouldn't write and post a review for a book that I hated with such a passion, but I feel like I need to because I loved Hush, Hush (book one) SO MUCH. I read Crescendo a few weeks back but I'm still finding myself in utter shock over the extreme dislike I have for this book. For me, Crescendo was a train-wreak complete with choppy storylines and weak characters. Not even Patch could save me from hating this book. In book one he was rough around the edges and aloof but towards the end, as we got to know him better he really began to open up. In Crescendo his character pretty much takes 10 steps backwards. It was like nothing happened and his character development poofed along with everyone else's.

Although she was never really my "favorite" character, in book one I really enjoyed Nora. I thought that she held her own pretty well. However she neither had that quality nor any other enjoyable or mildly likable quality in Crescendo. Never have I hated a female character so much. One moment she's all heart broken and miserable because Patch is being aloof and she can't stand living without him, then other times she's pissed and wants nothing to do with him because he's cruel. SERIOUSLY. It was like Nora was bipolar with her emotions flip-flopping back and forth so many times with little or no reason as to why. She'd go from completely despising him to being in love with him at the drop of a dime. It was exhausting and quite annoying keeping up with her feelings.

Then there's the new character Scott. I wanted to so badly to like Scott. After being annoyed with Patch from the getgo I had high hopes that Scott would be a sweet boy from Nora's past. My wish was not answered in any capacity. Scott was annoying and shifty right from the beginning. I kept hoping that like Patch, he was just misunderstood and Nora could be the one to open him up. Nope. Instead all we got are a few outings that Scott invites Nora to that in which Nora ends up being left alone while Scott takes off. Seriously everytime the two got together Scott would just disappear with Nora not caring at all. The next day she'd act like it was no biggy which felt so fake and unreal. His overall part in the plot made no real sense and added nothing to the story.

I have no problem with Fitzpatrick's writing, it's clean and the pacing is decent but the story... well it's just bad (in my opinion). I can't even really remember what's going on or what has happened because nothing is adding up and everything is mashed together. I won't be reading book three because Crescendo has completely turned me off from the series. My last solace would have been the characters, but like I said, I'm turned off from them as well.