Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Crest PRO-HEALTH Rinse - 500 ml forum

Crest Pro-Health Rinse stains teeth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 200 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 29, 2009 6:24:04 AM PDT
I too, got the stains from Crest ProHealth. I spent an hour in the Hygienist's chair, getting an ultra sonic cleaning to remove the stains. Fortunately it did remove all stains, even those in tiny pockets. Beware, I've also heard that Crest tooth paste can cause adverse reaction on lips and tongue. Say good-bye to Crest.

Posted on Aug 1, 2009 11:03:26 AM PDT
shygurl says:
I had just purchased this about a week ago. Prior to that I was using Listerine but stopped due to the strong taste. I was lured in by "Crest Pro Health" mouthwash and toothpaste. I brought it because of the promise of enamel protection which is what I was looking for. I had just opened the bottle and started using it a few days ago. The toothpaste I had been using for a few weeks. I had a trip to the dentist today to finish up a crown. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I decided to come online to look up some information and ended up finding all this info on Crest Pro health and the teeth stains. Boy am I glad I did. Even so, my teeth are naturally beautifully white but I had noticed some yellowing in some places in between the teeth. I poured out the mouthwash and threw away the toothpaste. I plan to send the empty bottle to the FDA because there are no warning labels or instructions on the bottle.
I will also pass this along to everyone I know and I do mean everyone!!!

Posted on Aug 1, 2009 11:05:17 AM PDT
shygurl says:
I had just purchased this about a week ago. Prior to that I was using Listerine but stopped due to the strong taste. I was lured in by "Crest Pro Health" mouthwash and toothpaste. I brought it because of the promise of enamel protection which is what I was looking for. I had just opened the bottle and started using it a few days ago. The toothpaste I had been using for a few weeks. I had a trip to the dentist today to finish up a crown. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I decided to come online to look up some information and ended up finding all this info on Crest Pro health and the teeth stains. Boy am I glad I did. Even so, my teeth are naturally white but I had noticed some yellowing in some places in between the teeth. I poured out the mouthwash and threw away the toothpaste. I plan to send the empty bottle to the FDA because there are no warning labels or instructions on the bottle.
I will also pass this along to everyone I know and I do mean everyone!!!

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 3:57:14 PM PDT
Jamie Mccord says:
I wish I would have found all this info before I tried the rinse. I have only been using it about 1 month and my teeth look awful!!! I am so mad. I couldn't figure out what the problem was at first, but I figured it had to be the mouth wash since that is the only thing I had done different!

Posted on Aug 22, 2009 6:37:41 PM PDT
PB Sterling says:
I used the rinse for 2 weeks and got stains - I removed them with a toothbrush and baking soda - lots of scrubbing. Switched back to Listerine.

I have not had any problems with the Pro Health tooth paste.

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 1:09:31 AM PDT
Laura Z. says:
I started using Crest Pro Health in May and noticed some brown staining. I figured it I was overdue for a cleaning (which I slightly was) so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment. It took her a while, but my hygienist was able to remove the stains. Unfortunately, shortly after my visit, I contracted a mouth infection in my gums caused by a canker sore so my dentist prescribed Peridex. Peridex is known and WILL cause brown staining between teeth so I didn't think much of it and had my teeth cleaned a second time. I resumed using my Pro Health after my second cleaning and no longer needing Peridex, and two weeks later I noticed a recurrence of the brown staining between my teeth. They are identical. I looked it up and Crest Pro Health and Peridex both contain Cetylpyridinium Chloride, known for causing the brown stains. I wish I'd known before switching to Crest (the Peridex is excusable since staining is a known side effect and indeed, patients are informed of it prior to its use). Needless to say, I will be switching back to Listerine!

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 1:09:42 AM PDT
Laura Z. says:
I started using Crest Pro Health in May and noticed some brown staining. I figured it I was overdue for a cleaning (which I slightly was) so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment. It took her a while, but my hygienist was able to remove the stains. Unfortunately, shortly after my visit, I contracted a mouth infection in my gums caused by a canker sore so my dentist prescribed Peridex. Peridex is known and WILL cause brown staining between teeth so I didn't think much of it and had my teeth cleaned a second time. I resumed using my Pro Health after my second cleaning and no longer needing Peridex, and two weeks later I noticed a recurrence of the brown staining between my teeth. They are identical. I looked it up and Crest Pro Health and Peridex both contain Cetylpyridinium Chloride, known for causing the brown stains. I wish I'd known before switching to Crest (the Peridex is excusable since staining is a known side effect and indeed, patients are informed of it prior to its use). Needless to say, I will be switching back to Listerine!

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 1:19:23 AM PDT
Laura Z. says:

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 11:11:21 PM PDT
Frank F. says:
I also switched from Listerine to Crest Pro-Health, noticed the stains, and the hygienist was able to remove them at the routine cleaning. Crest Pro-health was the only change. I don't smoke, drink coffee or tea.

So... what percent of people who use the Crest Pro-Health mouth wash get the staining? Any dentists have a sense of that?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 11:19:00 PM PDT
Laura Z. says:
I contacted the company and this was their reply:

Thanks for contacting us, Laura.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience when using Crest Pro-Health Rinse. I appreciate the time you've taken to bring this to our attention and I've shared your report with our specialized representatives.

We conducted comprehensive studies on Crest Pro-Health Rinse to prove its safety and effectiveness. The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health Rinse, Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), has been recognized as safe and effective by an FDA advisory panel. The label meets current FDA standards.

Like all mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis, Crest Pro-Health Rinse can contribute to temporary, surface-level brown tooth discoloration, which is reported by a very small percentage of people. Less than one-tenth of 1% of people who have purchased Crest Pro-Health Rinse have raised this concern. In some people, tooth discoloration could actually be one indication your mouthwash is working. After it kills germs in your mouth, the dead germs could collect on the tooth surface and create the appearance of a brown stain. The discoloration could be exaggerated by many other factors, such as existing tartar on teeth, tobacco use, certain prescription medications, and/or drinking red wine, tea, or coffee. Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible - and largely preventable - through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.

For answers to medical questions, we recommend you speak with your doctor who will be able to give you the best advice.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Karen
Crest Team

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 11:31:48 PM PDT
Frank F. says:
Thanks for your quick reply, Laura. I find it hard to believe that less than one-tenth of 1 % of people using the mouth wash get the staining. I must say, however, that my wife and I both starting using the Pro-Health mouth wash at the same time. I got the staining but she did not. I noticed the staining on my teeth after we went through two 1.5 liter bottles.
BTW, I don't drink colas. I occasionally drink white wine. The stains appeared after 6-8 weeks for me after switching to the Pro Health.
Thanks for starting this thread!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2009 6:53:00 PM PDT
W. Moretz says:
I just started using this mouthwash and have lost taste as well. I put 2 and 2 together and hopefully my tastebuds will recover now that I stopped using it. Did your taste come back?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 9:32:11 AM PST
I have had the same problem with this awful product, it was like something was growing between my teeth, disgusting! I ended up finding a quick teeth whitening solution here: http://www.goobagifts.com/whiteteeth but it was a nightmare until then!

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 9:32:38 AM PST
I have had the same problem with this awful product, it was like something was growing between my teeth, disgusting! I ended up finding a quick teeth whitening solution here: http://www.goobagifts.com/whiteteeth but it was a nightmare until then!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 9:33:27 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2010 3:13:29 PM PST
La Rose says:
The staining is a huge problem. I emailed Crest after viewing a story about this issue on my local news station. The response they sent back read almost word for word what their representative said in response to the complaint:

>I apologize that you experienced brown tooth staining while using Crest Pro-Health Rinse. I appreciate the time you've taken to bring this to our attention and I've shared your report with our specialized representatives.

>We conducted comprehensive studies on Crest Pro-Health Rinse to prove its safety and effectiveness. The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health Rinse, Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), has been recognized as safe and effective by an FDA advisory panel. The label meets current FDA standards.

>Like all mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis, Crest Pro-Health Rinse can contribute to temporary, surface-level brown tooth discoloration, which is reported by a very small percentage of people. Less than one-tenth of 1% of people who have purchased Crest Pro-Health Rinse have raised this concern. In some people, tooth discoloration could actually be one indication your mouthwash is working. After it kills germs in your mouth, the dead germs could collect on the tooth surface and create the appearance of a brown stain. The discoloration could be exaggerated by many other factors, such as existing tartar on teeth, tobacco use, certain prescription medications, and/or drinking red wine, tea, or coffee. Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible - and largely preventable - through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.

Frankly, I found the response to be condescending and insulting. I believe that if people *knew* that their mouthwash was the culprit, they *would* complain. Also, the suggestion to contact the FDA wouldn't hurt either.

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 1:15:59 PM PST
I switched to Crest Pro health on my periodontist's recommendation from listerine (alcohol might burn).

I had the same problems as everyone:
* Loss of salt taste
* Staining

So, what's a safe non-alcoholic, non-staining rinse without any loss of taste buds that's preferrably approved by ADA?

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 7:00:49 AM PDT
Goldsie says:
I just had my semi-annual dental cleaning yesterday and the hygienist asked me if I smoke, drink coffee, tea or cola because of the brown stains on my teeth. I told her no I don't then she asked me if I use Crest Pro health rinse and I said yes, I started using it about six months ago. She told me that Crest Pro Health rinse causes brown staining on teeth and I should switch to Act rinse. She was able to get some of the stains off but not all. I am so mad at Crest. That was a brand name that I have trusted for years and now I will never use their products again.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 1:20:08 PM PDT
C. Tam says:
I had noticed some dark brown stains on the bottom front teeth and also on the back of them a few weeks ago and didn't know what it was. I haven't seen them before so I thought it was my new meds but then I started googling and noticed all the conversations about Crest and dark stains on people's teeth. I've been using it on and off for a few months and now decided to stop. I'm going to try the peroxide and visit my dentist to see if the hygenist remembers it (saw her 3 months ago). If not then it's definitely Crest. Started my new meds last Dec. Of course it will be hard to prove and the company may not reimburse me for professional cleaning though I will try. Now I have to add this to the list of concerns when I see my dentist in a few weeks! Just really awful we buy something that should be helping and it's bringing up all new concerns!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 7:49:34 AM PDT
S. Jeffrey says:
They won't pay for cleaning. You will get a form letter saying the brown stains are unusual. Yes, I tried too. BUT they will refund the cost of the product!!!

Posted on May 17, 2010 6:23:36 PM PDT
I loved the cRest pro health...but had brown stains...my doctor started talkin' about I must be drinking coffee, soda (I'm a non-smoker...and not really a soda drinker...I can't even finish a 20 oz bottle in ONE sitting) etc...but after 30+ years of going to the dentist....I knew it wasn't my eating habits which had not changed THAT dramatically...we started talkin' about fish (mercury, etc. content). It's the MOUTH WASH!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!! It was recommended to me by my dentist....and the only way they could get it off was with a water pic type of "sand blast". It was back within 2 months.
I too don't like listerine....but will do w/out....whatever is going on....i wasn't having issues like stains before. Just some gum bleeding on ONE tooth!!!!! :o( This makes me more self-conscious!

Posted on May 31, 2010 8:39:11 PM PDT
heather kerr says:
There is now a warning on the bottle. It says that the product may cause staining. I am returning my bottle tomorrow.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 7:52:31 PM PDT
I am absolutely disgusted...after a quick google search and re-examining the fine print on the bottle, it is clear Proctor and Gamble are fully aware of the unsightly staining this product causes. I will be submitting my dental bill shortly. Unbelievable.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 11:05:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2010 11:22:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 11:19:23 AM PDT
I did report Crest Pro Sheild Enamel Rinse to the FDA. It actually peeled the enamel off my teeth within 48 hrs. of using! I checked the ingredients and noticed it contained phosphoric acid. I can't believe the FDA would allow this product on the market. Phosphoric acid is NOT for dental rinsing! It also caused an actual piece of my tooth to fall out. I have complained to Crest and filled out all their forms, but no one has ever called and none of their letterhead contains a phone number to reach the person sending the response. I would like to start a law suit against them. They need to pay for all my dental bills. My hygenienist can't even remove the brown spots either from their previous inferior dental rinses.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Search Customer Discussions