4.0 out of 5 stars Only Newbies Need Apply
Another Rory Gallagher collection and four stars simply because the material is so good and is a fair representation of his solo career covering both the acoustic and heavy blues/rock side of Rory.

Long-time fans will not need this collection which will appeal to completists and those curious or unfamiliar with Gallagher's body of work.

All the...
Published on August 31, 2009 by Colin Logue

3.0 out of 5 stars Rory from Past
Published 11 months ago by John K.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only Newbies Need Apply, August 31, 2009
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)

All the tracks are staples but the stand-outs include; A Million Miles Away, Crest of a Wave, Moonchild, Tattoo'd Lady, Walk On Hot Coals and They Don't Make Them Like You Anymore.

This is a good collection but there are others out there which best this one. Check out BIG GUNS - THE VERY BEST OF RORY GALLAGHER which IS career spanning as it takes in TASTE and his solo career and packs more punch than this latest offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars I agree with Colin., September 5, 2009
Steve (Soulard, Mo.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
I personally own every Rory Gallagher album he ever issued so there's no point in me buying a greatest hits cd. Nevertheless for someone interested in sampling the man and his music I agree with Colin that Big Guns is a better representation of Rory and his genuis. The man was a paradox extraordinaire but he was also one helluva musician. Rock on Rory. We're still listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars RORY'S GREATEST BEST OF CD, November 23, 2009
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
There are many best of cd's of Rory Gallagher,and they are all very good.
But for me this double cd is the best.
And it was a very nice surprise that there is a other version of Overnight bag on this cd.
Different than the original song on the photo finish cd.
This version have's a longer solo on the end.
For people that want to learn to know Rory's music,this cd will be a very good start.

5.0 out of 5 stars great guitarist---shy down to earth human being, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
Like alot here, have been a fan since Taste, & collected almost all of his releases as well. I suppose there are compilations & reissued Cd's I dont have. And yes there are other releases that also span his career. If I put my "Greatest Hits" together it would vary from everyone elses. I like Secret Agent alot for one. Only saw him twice in 1979 & 1990 when he was sick, but both shows were killer. There was never an hour & a half show by this man, he loved to play that guitar. I enjoy his rockier music over the bluesy stuff, just the music I like more. Pick up the book by his bassist Gerry McAvoy, he gives an inside journey of touring with Rory. I dont even have this Cd yet, thank god for the internet, it sure makes keeping up with releases alot easier these days. None of us OLD rockers are getting any younger. You cant go wrong by owning this cd though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great History of a Blues Wizard, March 25, 2010
Richard J. Walt (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
Rory Gallagher is a relatively unknown blues guitarist whom I treasure in my collection.
I especilaly enjoy the way he goes all the way back to the 1920's in his choices of cover songs. He always credits the original songwriters because it seems he realizes the doors they opened for all blues musicians. By knowing the history of the blues, and playing it to near perfection, his music actually enshrines him as one of the legends. I also really enjoy listening to his up-tempo original cuts. I have other RG albums but this is a great retrospective compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Guitar God, March 30, 2014
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
that is for sure. Up, Up there with Clapton, Lee, Page, Fripp, Knopfler, Taylor, Moore, Trower, Green, Blackmore, Ronson, Richards...

3.0 out of 5 stars Rory from Past, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
Loved this guy when I was in my twenties and thirties. Found this all inclusive album. I had to have it. I had so many memories of this long, lean, redheaded, Irish guitar slinger! Being an OLD guitar player, I had to have his complete works! After listening to it once, it grew repetitious. Still great Rock and Roll - I seemed to have grown out of it. I listen to it again, soon, and it may bring back the old brilliance it once had for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Collection, get Rory's live work first, June 19, 2011
monte (Huber Heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
A good cross section of Rory's studio work. Unfortunately, I received a bad pressing with a distortion on many of the tracks and seller refunded my money. In MHO Rory shined in a live setting. Get all of the live albums first then explore the studio work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, seller and price. I recommend this seller., January 26, 2010
This review is from: Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
Great CD, seller and price. I recommend this seller. I am glad to see that Rory is not forgotten. He influenced so many players and he like Mick Ronson, will live forever because of the music they made and the influence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 23, 2014
Absolutely great!!!!!

Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher
Crest of a Wave: The Best of Rory Gallagher by Rory Gallagher (Audio CD - 2009)