Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on May 26, 2007
I fell in love with Cricket while deployed to Diego Garcia several years ago. We watched Cricket matches broadcast to on South African satellite TV. For anyone who hasn't a clue what the game is all about, this book is a FABULOUS read. Though most of the references to teams and County Cricket are obviously more meaningful to British readers, the level of detail and explanation is great for US fans. Breakdowns on the fielding, bowling, and batting aspects of the game flow smoothly and are extremely easy to follow. The history and current state of the game sections give you a real feel for just how very large Cricket is in the rest of the world and makes my sorry we can't embrace what is really the most civilized of sporting events still being played. (What 300 pound lineman would be caught dead taking "Drinks" or the "Tea Interval" at halftime at the Super Bowl?!) Pick up a copy and get a good handle on the great game that we turned into baseball!
on January 25, 2008
I was a bit disappointed in this book because I was hoping to learn about cricket so that I could better understand when I am watching a match. About half this book is spent on tips on how to play and practice cricket.
on August 2, 2008
This is a good book. However, it is not really a good first book. In fact, it is short on one of the most needed features for the beginner: an exhaustive index of all those nutty terms. Eg. try to find a "Chinaman".

Of course, this book has considerable information on many items that are really needed. e.g. the 'how-to' of bowling many of those strange throws.

I would suggest reading "Cricket Explained" by Robert Eastaway first. It is shorter and initially more useful. You will also want "Cricket for Dummies" as well. If there is an Amazon special for both - go for it.
on May 21, 2008
While the author attempts to dumb down the rules of the game, it's obvious that the book is written by an Englishman for Britons, or those who have had at least some experience with cricket. (I live in Texas, and the only crickets I know are those noisy bugs or Buddy Holly's band.)

Some concepts are never fully explained, while others are covered in minute detail. For example, the batting section goes on and on, with numerous illustrations, while the section on bowling is comparatively brief. We could really use a step-by-step -- with pictures -- examination of the basic bowling process and less on different techniques.

Also, the book focuses too much on playing and coaching the game. I'd much rather read more about the history of cricket. The section on cricket controversies and great players is nice, but way too short.

Finally, while Mr. Knight's enthusiasm for the game is obvious, alas, his jokes are pretty lame.
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2012
I bought this book to learn about cricket, and the book delivers. I now have a pretty good grasp of the game - and I want to play now too :)

The only criticism I can give is that the orgnaization isn't very good if you plan on reading the book from cover to cover in one go. It seems to jump around between rules (laws), history and how to play.

It would make a great reference book, and with a physical copy the jumping around probably doesn't matter, but with the kindle edition it makes for an odd read.

I would absolutely recommend the book, and I would buy it again.
on October 2, 2014
Actually a pretty good book. As an American I always wondered about CrIcket....an inning that lasts hours, over 100 runs in an inning in a game that could last 3 days with tea breaks???? However after reading this book, I have a much better understanding of the game and why hundreds of millions are fanatics about it. In fact I have watched a few matches since reading this book and can finally understand what is happening on the "wicket" and really enjoy it. This book clearly explains the game, equipment and what is happening during a match. It also discusses some of the greats of the game, the rivalries and the best games ever played. A very interesting book that I can highly recommend. So grab this book and a cup of tea and give the game a chance.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
Even though I grew up playing cricket and am still an avid fan, I read and re-read this book. Simple, to the point and a wealth of information. Helps me explain the game to those not familiar with it. Yes, can you believe there are actually some people that don't know cricket?! Sacrilege! This book helps recruit more to the great game of cricket and I'm all for that!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2007
Having known little, and with a need to get up-to-speed quickly - trip to England and daughter's (in school there) boyfriend a cricket "nut" - this fit the bill nicely.
on April 20, 2013
Usually I don't like the idea of buying a book for dummies! Something about that is just insulting to me! This does seem to be a good introduction to cricket. I'd like to put that to a test by going to a match!
on January 17, 2013
I searched for cricut and got cricket. It was my fault for not looking at the spelling. It was much cheaper to return it my self to get full credit.