5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful memories!
Published on July 10, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Burglar Ties Up Madam Bodot and the Policeman has a large Gun
This is a cute book and one recommended by the Sonlight homeschooling curriculum. I don't like the picture of the burglar very much and although the rest of the story is very cute, I don't think I'll be buying my own copy. We checked this one out from the library. My son is 2 and he did enjoy the story, but he was confused by the burglar and wondered why Madame Bodot was...
Published on December 2, 2010 by toomanybooks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful memories!, July 10, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
Oh, I LOVE this book! It is from the 50's, and SO well written! Instead of dumbing children down, it uses words that are more sophisticated. The story is hilarious! It uses pen and ink type drawings, which brought back so many pleasant memories! As a child, I didn't remember the story too well, but the pictures stayed in my mind, particularly the one of Crictor in what looks like a 10-foot long bed and wearing a 10-foot long armless sweater!!
This elderly lady receives a gift of a snake from her son in Africa. She is a teacher and brings Crictor to school, where he becomes a jump rope and slide for the kids. He also forms letters and numbers. He captures a burglar and the locals name a park after him!
One of my favorite books of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars An old-fashioned, wonderfully charming children's book, May 17, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Crictor (Hardcover)
This was one of my favorite books growing up--I must have checked it out of the school library a dozen times. It's the adorable story of an old French woman who relies on a friendly boa to see her around Paris. Not only does it teach children not to judge other people -- or reptiles -- but the charming illustrations offer fun glimpses into the city of Paris. If you loved Madeline, you'll love this book. Buy one copy for your kids and one for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood revisited, October 16, 2004
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
As a kindergarten teacher, I just love to read this book to my students.

As a lifelong reader and lover of books, I just love this book. Reading it brings back my childhood. The illustrations are just beautiful and the story is pure fun.

I am so happy to see that books like these are still out and avaiable to purchase. We need books like these for the next generation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crictor...the boa constrictor. I like it. :-), May 12, 2008
Barbara West (Canyon City, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
Do you ever like a book 'just because'? I can't make a comment on the witty prose or beautiful artwork to back up my heartfelt, "I like it" but I will try. It is an endearing tale about a snake. The storyline is nonsensical and fun--totally entertaining. The pen and ink drawings with lots of green coloring like the beloved title character are a perfect compliment to the story.

If you want to go educational get out the maps and locate the 2 places that are mentioned in the story -- France & Africa. A sense of right & wrong alongside good character always strikes a chord with parents so Crictor is right on there. Whether an adult is reading aloud or an elementary student is reading independently, this book is sure to please.

All things considered, I just like it. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable... and one that your kids will remember..., December 7, 2006
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
19 years after I first read Crictor, I still remember nearly every word. It was quite possibly one of my favorite books as a child because it is sweet, funny, and heartfelt. Crictor is a boa constrictor that Mdm. Bodot's son has sent home from Africa. He bonds with Mdm. Bodot after an initial fright and quickly endears himself to everyone. Soon, he is given an opportunity to foil a burglar who threatens Mdm. Bodot and is revered as a hero. I read this book over and over again until it was in tatters. What child doesn't love a friendly protecting character like Crictor? Pair it with Lyle, Lyle Crocodile for a double-dose of green reptilian fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic kid's book which never looses its charm, February 27, 2014
Nathan T. Parker "Hallowscorp" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
Loved it as a child myself and now love reading it to my own. Wonderful illustrations and delightful story by Tomi Ungerer ( just one of his many classic children's books) make this a great addition to any child's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crictor, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Crictor (Hardcover)
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I ordered it to read with my daughter who is in Kindergarten. She picks Crictor to read a couple of times a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Old Story that Retains its Charm, August 31, 2009
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
Crictor is another old story about a wild animal who finds his place in a human home. This boa constrictor arrives in Madame Bodot's home in a doughnut-shaped box, shipped from Africa by her thoughtful herpetologist son. After her initial surprise, she accepts him as if he were any other kind of pet and he quickly finds his place in her neighborhood and community -- playing with the children and (like Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile (Lyle the Crocodile) and The Story of Babar) helping with their educational instruction. The story culminates when Madame Bodot's home is invaded by a burglar, who is subdued by Crictor until the police arrive (drawn by the burglar's terrified screams). He gains the admiration of the entire village, and lives a long and happy life.

The book, printed before the high-tech revolution in children's book publication, initially seems humbly illustrated with only two colors, but the limitations of the technology do not greatly hinder Ungerer's excellent writing, wry humor and sinuous lines. Madame Bodot and Crictor are each admirable in their own way -- she in her generous service to the community, he in his loyal courage in defending her. This old story retains its charm, and is well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite children's book!, April 19, 2014
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book, and so does my daughter. I have read this book so many times, that it is held together with tape. We started reading this when my daughter was around 18 months old, and it continues to delight now that she is 3. The illustrations are beautifully drawn and there is so much detail to talk about while reading. I think my daughter learned the concept of counting at an early age, in part due to this book. On a side note, we still use the phrase "growing longer and longer and stronger and stronger" when we talk about eating good nutritious food - this is the perfect way to describe to a little girl how good food will help her grow, without using words with negative connotations such as "bigger" or "fatter"

5.0 out of 5 stars The boa constrictor who could, April 22, 2010
This review is from: Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) (Paperback)
I came across this book years ago in a bookstore in the foreign language section of children's books. (It was in German and I was studying German.) I have since bought countless copies whenever and wherever I came across them to give to friends' children. I'm now grandmother-aged, but it's still one of my favorite books (in either language). The illustrations are so clever and the story is sweet.
Note: I can't recall which language has which, but the drawing of an octopus in one of the books has only 7 tentacles, whereas the drawing in the other book has 8 tentacles.

This is a must for children from 3 to 93. If there were 10 stars, I would give it 10.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books)
Crictor (Reading Rainbow Books) by Tomi Ungerer (Paperback - July 14, 1983)
$6.99