5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the compitition hands down
This product is fantastic! If you're looking for a personal die cut system I wouldn't bother with anything else on the market right now. It is compact when closed, so it won't take up unnecessary table space. It is also very light and has a comfortable handle for travelling.

Published on August 27, 2006 by Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars Cricut is a little over rated I think
Published on January 16, 2008 by L. Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the compitition hands down, August 27, 2006
Kate (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews

Yes, it is a bit of an investment, but it is honestly a better deal than many of the cheaper systems out there. It can cut each shape in 11 sizes from 1 inch to 5.5 inches. Most cartridges are around $90; compare that to quickutz & sizzix alphabets which retail for $150, can only cut one size, and take up a lot more storage space.

Blades are easy to replace and the cutting mats seem to last longer than cricut suggests. You'll get more life out of them by rotating the mat each time you cut and also storing it with the plastic sheet to keep dust from accumulating on the sticky surface.

I've heard of people having difficulty cutting thicker cardstock with this machine, but we have been able to cut bazzil easily by setting the blade depth to 6 and the speed & pressure to their max settings.

I've used both the Cricut and Xyron Personal Cutting System extensively and would recommend the Cricut.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cricut is a little over rated I think, January 16, 2008
I bought this product after seeing it on tv and reading alot of reviews, everyone seemed to just love this thing. So I bought one, and I played with it and it does cut nice shapes but most everything on the George cartridge is Fonts. When I watched the tv commercial they go to great detail on how this has up to 4500 different images, fonts etc. However, if you just buy the machine which comes with the George cartridge, you have about fourty shapes, all aimed at scrap books or cards primarily, the rest is different fonts, or shaded image or black out image or out lined image of the same shape or font. I feel for the price of this thing I was key on the 4500 different images. But alas you can have more if you buy more cartridges at 39.00 on sale(if you can find them) to 90.00 regular price. Which in my estimation for another 6 cartridges would tally up to at least two or three hundred dollars. So if you buy this machine it is neat, but be prepared to fork over at least another 200.00 for cartridges. And new mats, the mat looses its sticky pretty fast. It also takes quite alot of tinkering to get the cut depth right, I used regular construction paper it worked pretty easily, although when I went to textured cardstock, it didn't cut deep enough, took alot of trial an error. Some claim to use thin sheets of compostion board in this machine, from what I used it I'am highly skeptical. I'am an avid hobbist I work with alot of mediums from paper crafting, upholstry, painting and wood work. Overall I'am not nearly as impressed as everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cricut Is Fantastic, November 14, 2006
I was a little skeptical when I first saw the Cricut at Michael's in the display case. I debated whether or not this machine was going to have a return on the investment. I have manual die cutters (Sizzix, Quickutz, ZAZ, etc.) and many dies that I have invested in to build my collection.

I looked at several personal electronic cutters, some that required connecting to a PC. I thought Wow, I could connect to my PC and print out on my printer, then run through the cutter. After much debate, I decided to go with the Cricut for several reasons. It doesn't require a PC and is portable and lightweight, the cartridges contain so many objects and designs to cut that I could not possibly purchase nor store this many dies, creating titles is a breeze because you don't need to cut one letter at a time...it does the whole word/words in whatever size you want from 1 to 5.5 inches, it's easy to use and while it's cutting you can be doing other things, it also saves on paper. It cuts vellum to Bazzill by adjusting the pressure/depth. The only thing I would change about it is the paper size maximum which is 6 x 12 inches. It would be really fantastic to have 12 x 12, especially with the Bags, Boxes, and More cartridge.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased the Cricut and my whole family is enjoying it. I'm looking forward to future new cartridges. Thanks, what a joy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!, November 9, 2006
The Cricut is wonderful - a great tool to have. I have found a lot of uses for this machine outside of my scrapbooking addiction. My husband is a teacher so it's great to make smart looking bulletin boards in no time at all. It's a big investment, but compared to other die cut systems it's actually a great deal. Just having the flexibility to change the sizes of the fonts is worth the price. I agree that the cutting mat seems to last longer than Cricut says it will - which was one of my concerns when I bought the machine. I didn't want to have to be constantly buying replacement mats - but I'm not so that's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cricut is the best thing out there, October 6, 2008
D. Gust (Cypress, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cricut 29-0001 Personal Electronic Cutting Machine (Kitchen)
Personally, I love my cricut. I have very little artistic ability, but I love to scrapbook the events in my life. As result when I saw this machine that made diecuts of exactly what I wanted I was thrill. My friends and family now praise my scrapbook pages and especially my handmade cards, which are less expensive than store bought and can take as little as five minutes to make. The machine works beautifully and I have had no problems using it at all. You do need to be able to read and follow directions to use it, though. However the whole system-machine, cartridges, mats, blade, etc. can be expensive. Everything except for the machine and cartridges has to be replaced. This is why I rated 4 stars. Both my husband and I were a little taken aback by the fact that the mats you place the paper on would have to replaced eventually. Use baby wipes to make them last longer. Also many of the essentials, like the spatula tool where not included unless you bought the machine from the infomerical. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars MARVELOUS!!!!, July 29, 2006
I bought the Cricut machine when it first came out. I have used SOOOOOOOOOOOO many times. Every time that I use it I love the machine even more. I own a Sizzix die cut machine as well, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Cricut!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teacher's Best Friend!, September 24, 2006
This machine is AWESOME! As a teacher, I don't have time to go and cut each letter individually on a die cut machine, now that I have the CRICUT, I don't have to worry about that anymore! With the CRICUT, I can type up the whole word, choose the size I want, as well as the style of font and press the "cut" button, it's that simple! This machine is a teacher's best friend and is well worth the investment! I can't wait to buy the other cartridges that are available.

3.0 out of 5 stars You are not in control, September 17, 2009
candida (WA ,United States) - See all my reviews
Let me first say that this is a really great tool and it cuts well once you get the hang of which thickness settings to use. It is amazing the way it can cut letters and sayings. This you can do in no time. If you are a scrapbooker, you have a great supply of fonts and shapes, but as others have said it is pricey as you have to purchase cartridges to get all this. I am a stamper/card maker so use stamped images rather than die cut images as my focus. So what I was looking for was the shapes like squares, rectangles, ovals, scalloped ovals, etc to layer under my stamped image.

But the size of these shapes are determined by the machine and I don't get as much flexibility as I would like. For example, if I want a rectangle, I can set the width using machine pre-set options, but not the length (or vice versa whichever direction I plan to use the piece). I can't really tell what length it will be until the machine cuts it and if it is too long, I have to manually cut it to size. There a size dial that has limited inches options of 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5,5 (maybe 5.5 can't remember). So if I want a 3.25 square, I have to make a 3.5 and manually cut it down. I spent last night printing out various shapes in various sizes to use as templates when I design a card so I hope this helps. I will have to design to what the machine can do rather than get the machine to do what I want. I make cards to donate so I wanted a faster way to make many cards. This machine will save me some work but I still will have to do a lot of manual cuts. I don't think I want to return it, but this is most disappointing.

Also, on most cartridges there are very few images like those that I want to use. A lot of fonts and cute focus shapes, but not a lot of the type of thing I use. I guess that means I won't spend a lot on cartridges!

Go to You Tube and see what others are saying about how to re-sticky the mat or ways to use your computer fonts instead of the cartridges. I haven't tried these yet, but they may be a way to save on money.

Maybe the more expensive models give you more flexibility or if there are tips I just don't know yet. I just bought the Cricut Personal so I didn't research that much and didn't want to spend more for a bigger model.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, September 22, 2008
Angela Christian (Kansas City metro) - See all my reviews
I have owned my Cricut for almost a year and I have to say I am in love. I haven't had any problems with my machine (knock on wood). I have called customer service with Cricut and they seem nice enough. But I haven't really called for any issues other then to try and order a cartridge. Is the Cricut expensive.. Yes and No. The baby bug (the personal cutter) has come down in price so that it's only slightly over what other die cutting machines cost. The Cuttlebug is 79.99 to 89.99 at local craft stores when not on sale, and the Cricut personal cutter is usually around 120-140 dollars locally and online. As with all new technology it does start out high and then comes down as time goes on. I'm not saying that 120 dollars isn't a lot of money but the fact that I get to choose what size I want my die cuts makes the Cricut worth the extra money. All other machines the size of the die is what you get. When I got my machine I read all of these articles of how the mats loose stickiness quickly. So I ran out and purchased some extra's.. Well then I read on a message board that the spray on quilting glue works very well in holding the paper on the mat. I ran out purchased a BIG can for 5 bucks. A couple of quick sprays and I am using the same mat that came with the machine. (I have only had to use the spray on glue twice) At one point in time I thought my cutting blade had become dull. I do use this machine a lot.. So I purchased new blades and set out to change my blade. I then found that it wasn't a dull blade but paper that had wrapped itself around the blade up into the blade housing. Removed the paper popped the blade back in and I was good to go. So now I have new blades that I am still waiting to use. This was also something people have talked about on the message boards. Cartridges, I've ready a few reviews where people complain about cartridges. I have never paid full price for a cartridge. The most I have paid was 50 bucks and that was for a Disney Cartridge. I agree with someone who said finding these carts on sale in the stores is hopeless. So I instead have searched online and found a group of stores that offer some great deals on Cricut carts. Most of them will take a check, and a lot of them have free shipping on cartridges. I do spend a lot of money at craft stores I don't buy my cartridges there. My one cartridge complaint, Provo Craft will release "special" carts to be added to certain machines. They will not release the cart for general sale. If you like the cart you are stuck paying a premium to get the thing or going without. I personally feel that they should make that a perk for buying a machine you get this cart for free. And then release it for the rest of us who have been supporting their company for however long. My complaint about the machine is that I cannot rotate cuts or stretch them. I understand that this can be done via some additional software. But I don't keep a pc in my craft room. The Expression also does this but I purchased this one before I knew about the expression. At some point in time I would like to upgrade.. Other then that I am in love and use this machine a lot in my scrapbooks and greeting cards. I've found its cheaper to make my own embellishments instead of buying them. The cut outs are quick the putting together can take time. I recommend buying a sticker making machine if you don't already have one. This will cut down on glue time.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!!, December 9, 2011
The cricut works great for cutting but only with the expensive cartridges. You cannot modify a design or create your own design - you can only change the size/work with what is on the cartridge that you purchased. Provocraft sued the two 3rd party software companies which allowed you to hook up your cricut to your computer and create your own designs. These softwares are no longer avaiable for criicut users...I, unfortunately found out too late so now I am stuck with a cricut and no capability to do my own designs. Never again will I buy anything from Provocraft! Buy one of the other brands like Wishblade if you want true flexibility in design other wise you are stuck with just whatever carts you purchased!!! The Cricut Design Studio software also doesn't do much for you - you still have to have the carts to import into the design studio and you cannot import your own designs... I really REALLY regret getting Cricut - Provocraft is ruthless, ugly company with a very short sighted business model. Buy something other than Cricut unless you are computer illiterate and never want to create your own designs.

Cricut 29-0001 Personal Electronic Cutting Machine