5.0 out of 5 stars I love my cricut machine
My passion for card-making naturally led to my desire to purchase a personal electronic cutting system. In reading various cardmaking magazines, I noticed there were only a few personal electronic cutting systems to choose from, but the choice was pretty obvious for me.

Published on December 27, 2008 by F. Eiselin

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine but I expected more for the $$
Published on February 23, 2009 by B. Duke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my cricut machine, December 27, 2008
This review is from: Cricut Expression Personal Electronic Cutter 290817 With 3 Cartridges (Kitchen)

After watching the Cricut informercial ([..] I became intrigued. The Cricut system is made by Provocraft ([...]). I did searches on Ebay ([...] and Craigslist ([...]) in hopes of finding a good deal. At the time, the resale price on these sites was so close to the price offered at WalMart ([...], that it didnft make sense to try to buy it used when I could have a new one and the ability to conveniently return it if there was a problem. I also liked that WalMart and Michaels ([...] carried other Provocraft products such as cartridges, mats, pens and a toolkit. There also was a wide variety of cartridges I could select from both WalMart, Michaels and Ebay. Each cartridge contains a unique set of images or fonts. Some of the cartridges include: Animal Kingdom (animals); Mickey Mouse (Disney), Christmas Cheer (Seasonal), and much more. Only once did I pay a ridiculous amount for a cartridge ($99 for Paperdolls). At the time, it was very new, widely popular and hard to get. Now, as a rule, I only purchase cartridges when they are on sale. Michaels often has a sale where these cartridges are only $35 - $40. If I bring a Michaels ad to WalMart, any cashier can perform a price match. WalMart is great about price matching cricut cartridges, dvds, etc.

There are 3 versions of the Cricut cutting system:

1. Cricut (original)

2. Cricut Expressions

3. Cricut Create (Sold Exclusively at Michaels)

I purchased the first model and loved it right away. A few months later, I then sold my system on craigslist and ordered their largest system, the Cricut Expressions from WalMart. This model is capable of cutting larger sizes up to 12 x 24, the standard scrapbook size sheet is 12" x 12". The third model, the Cricut Create, is an improvement on the first small model and sold exclusively at Michaels.

The other great features of this cutting system is the ability to draw. You can replace the cutting blade with Cricut pens to draw, instead of cut, images. You can also purchase Cricut Vinyl adhesive sheets to cut images for decorating the interior of your home. There is also the ability to connect your Cricut machine to your computer via a USB cable. You can then use the Cricut Design Studio software to prearrange the layout of your images before cutting. The Cricut Design Studio software also allows you to view the images of all Cricut cartridges, but you can not cut with them unless you own the cartridge. Another option is to use a third party software, such as Sure Cuts A Lot to cut from your existing fonts or to create your own images to cut. This product is by Craft Edge and is available on ebay or by clicking this link: [...]

This machine is lots of fun, versatile, and widely available by big retail giants. I would highly recommend purchasing this machine. For more information on crafts, see my blog at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine but I expected more for the $$, February 23, 2009
B. Duke (Mississippi) - See all my reviews
The machine itself is really great, and fun to have. It comes in rally handy for making all kinds of things. The drawback is that they claim you save money by not having to purchase all the bulky die cuts you would have on hand for scrapbooking, the only part I find true about that is the bulky part. Instead of having single dies, there are several patterns on each cartridge. But as far as saving money, I really do not see it.
The drawback is you have to purchase their cartridges, which are not very cheap; especially of you will only use some of them every now and then. Before I purchased this machine I had a plotter, I purchased this product to rid myself of the bulky plotter. You can guess what is still taking up space in my crafting room, yes it is the plotter.
I think this product would be better if you were able to hook it to your computer, which you can, but be able to use it to access a website with designs on it, perhaps even on a subscription basis, or for one to purchase each design that want to use as they need it, kind of like embroidery designs. Instead, for now you have to purchase cartridges each time you want to do something new.
I cut a lot of fabric for quilting with this machine. That part I really love. I can pick a design, and each one comes out the same as the last, then I can fuse it to a block and stitch around it to keep it on my quilt top. I also use this machine for making tags. I deal in a lot of vintage quilts from estate sales, some come with a story and I am able to print the story and cut it out as a tag to attach with a safety pin to the quilt so my customers know what they are buying. I also integrate this with some of my graphic work. I am able to cut shapes and vinyl to add to projects with my art work to help make things a little more personal and different.
I love this machine, but feel like they need to work a little harder on the pricing of the designs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Machine - Pros & Cons..., May 25, 2009
CONS:
Don't get me wrong... I really enjoy my Cricut Expression, but there are times when I think it's overwhelming and enjoy using my Cuttlebug more (which has NEVER failed me!) With the Cricut Expression machine, I've done a ton of trial and error. I use all different types of paper (cardstock, construction paper, chipboard, etc.), and each of these require different blades and pressure. It is frustrating to have to do it over and over until you find the right setting. I've wasted quite a bit of paper due to this. I still have yet to master cutting through the thickness of chipboard that I have, even with the deep cut blade. I think I'll give in and just buy thinner stuff.

PROS:
I love that I don't HAVE to buy their Cricut cartridges - I can use the software I downloaded and hook it up to my computer. This gives me endless amounts of different fonts and designs. Although a computer isn't required to use the machine (if you use their cartridges), I find it much easier and less expensive to use the software! The possibilities are truly endless with this machine. I have done some pretty intricate designs that I wouldn't have been able to do elsewhere. I can make my pictures and fonts as big or as small as I want and I love that! I do think the machine is easy to use but it takes some time to learn.

If you would mainly use the Cricut Expressions machine for fonts, I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you're truly looking for unique designs and you have some patience, the Cricut Expressions might just be what you're looking for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Die Cut Machine for Scrapbooking, January 1, 2009
J. Zinn (St Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This is my absolute favorite machine.

I use my expression daily. My children love to have little things cut out for them from fancy words and paper dolls, to pirate ships and castles. (Big and Small)
I love using it for all of my scrapbook pages. From Disney to different fonts. It's all there.

The only qualms I have with this machine are fairly minor. The mats are difficult to find, especially around Christmas.
The mat will lose it's stickyness, which holds it in place for cutting. As it loses it's stickyness, the machine will sometimes "pick up" the item you are cutting and will end up destroying it.
You can only insert the mat one way, according to the directions, which ends up cutting a lot on one area of your mat. Thus losing the stickyness on one side, faster than the other.
You can however change the location of where it begins, thus making it easier to fill up an entire page with litle waste.

The little inconveniences don't take away from this wonderful machine though. A little costly, but well worth it in time saving, versatility, and usefullness.

This machine is incredible. I love my Expression.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will you use it enough to be worthwhile?, August 16, 2009
Here's what my neighbor had to say about it: "I use it some, but the cartridges are expensive and you never seem to have exactly what you want. I have not purchased the Sure Cuts A Lot software that allows you to cut any image and all True Type fonts without cartridges, but I am thinking about it. The main thing I DO NOT like is that when you cut a word (you can "weld" the letters together so it all comes out in one piece) getting glue onto it is really difficult. When I use my Xyron to apply adhesive, it leaves a lot of residue between the letters. My recommendation would be to set aside the $300 and use it to buy lots of Jolie embellishments and other premade items. Check out the SCAL Yahoo forums to see that software before deciding."

1.0 out of 5 stars It won't cut a simple circle, April 2, 2011
Every time I cut a circle it's more of an oblong than a circle.

The Cricut sucks you in as the most affordable machine, but it's only cheaper for a very short time. The cost of their over priced mats, blades and cartridges adds up quickly. Provocraft does not want it's customers using third party software and is actively blocking it's compatibility, so it's customers are left with cartridges. It's easy to say you won't buy a whole bunch of them, but the reality is you will want more images than the ones that come in the initial cartridge or two with the machine.

Secondarily the machine is subpar in performance to such cutters as the Silhouette, Gazelle, Klick-n-Kut, Black cat and Lynx. Trying to cut precision designs with the Cricut is often frustrating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cricut Machine, Great!!! Description, Bad!!!, January 6, 2009
C. DeKlerk (Channahon, IL United States) - See all my reviews
We ordered this for our daughter for Christmas 2008. It arrived very promptly, but not sure we got the extras that we thought we were getting. Description says 2 cartridges, but not which ones. We received one cartridge and a toolkit. Tried Amazon first, told to contact Cricut. We never did get response from Cricut, I read on their website how bad the company customer service department really is in returning emails. GOOD NEWS is that our daughter (who is 20) loves the Cricut Machine and has been using it nonstop to scrapbook. She said "easy to use and does what it claims to". We just hope that we don't have any problems because it sounds like we would get NO HELP FROM CRICUT.

1.0 out of 5 stars Provo Craft Does NOT Stand Behind Product!, February 26, 2010
I bought the Expression about 2 years ago. I used it about 5-6 times within the first 3 months of owning it. I had the "sticky" mat problem, but kept trying. I got busy with life and put the machine in the box and thought I would get back to it. About a year passed and I pulled it out again. This time I could not get any power to it. I tried a friend's power cord and still nothing. I called and wrote Provo Craft to see if I could send it in for repair. I am willing to pay to fix it! But guess what? There is no place to send it! Do you believe it. I spend close to $400 on this piece of *#*# ! If there is anyone out there who can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT! Great tool to inspire creativity!, January 2, 2010
I love the Cricket Expression! There is so much it can do! The cartridges can be pricey, but there are sales, etc and I haven't paid full price yet. I love the ability to size my designs to fit the page I am working on and the ability to create words or designs that coordinate perfectly with the layout I am working on, because I choose the papers to use. There is so much it can do, I seem to learn something new every month. There are lots of online tutorials to expand your knowledge on this product. There are lots of accessories too, which make great additions to my "I want" gift list. The cartridges included in this bundle are good beginner cartridges, so you can begin to use it right out of the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cricut doesn't make the cut, December 24, 2008
Eri (New York) - See all my reviews
After seeing the informercial for the Cricut Expression, I was thrilled with the possibilities. As a teacher, and crafter, I was already generating ideas for my many uses for this machine - for my classroom and my many home projects. When I received it as a Christmas gift, I could not wait to get started. Within an hour, my thoughts on the machine were completely soured. I began by following the very easy set-up instructions, loading my piece of cardstock, and typing in the message. I hit the CUT button, and watched the little mechanical blade go to work. Then, I hit the unload paper button. When i slid out the plastic mat, I carefully inspected the cutting. It looked great. I peeled the paper off of the sticky surface only to see that the blade failed to cut completely through the cardstock. I made sure the pressure was set to max, and tried again. Same result. I then took a simple piece of looseleaf paper, and tried the same function. It worked. Peeling the paper off of the mat was close to impossible. I followed the rocking motion that the company promotes, and peeled off most of the paper, but there was residue left all over the mat. Sort of like when you try your best to peel a price tag off of an item, and some of it remains, along with some sticky glue here and there. What a mess! I am thoroughly disappointed in the performance of this machine, and am going to return it ASAP! Regular weight cardstock is supposed to be a breeze for this thing....especially with a brand new blade and cutting mat. In order for me to separate my "cut" letters from the cardstock, I would have to very carefully cut around each letter with a scissor. Isn't the point of this machine to eliminate the scissors? I am very sad to report that this machine gets a thumbs down from me. I had such high hopes for it :(

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›