5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of paranormal mysteries
Published on May 31, 2010 by CJ-MO

2.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of info.
Published on June 16, 2012 by M. MacDonald

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of paranormal mysteries, May 31, 2010
CJ-MO (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side (Hardcover)
The names Margaret Maron and Max Allan Collins on the cover of "Crimes by Moonlight" caught my eye. After discovering that this was a collection of 20 "Mysteries from the Dark Side", I was hooked. After reading each story, I can say the collection lived up to its promise. This is an excellent and varied collection of short stories by a mixture of well-known and lesser known authors.

I hadn't read anything by the editor of the collection, Charlaine Harris, prior to this. However, I loved her story about vampire Dahlia Lynley-Chivers. It was full of both adventure and humor, and I would love to read more stories about this character. Other great vampire stories in this collection are Parnell Hall's "Death of a Vampire" and Toni L.P. Kelner's "Taking the Long View". Not all of the stories were related to vampires. For example, Elaine Viets' story of second sight was suspenseful, but still included her wonderful sense of humor. I enjoyed the ghost stories by Barbara D'Amato, Mike Wiecek, and Carolyn Hart. I also liked Dana Cameron's story, which started out like a traditional mystery - until a werewolf came along! I enjoyed the collaboration of Max Allan Collins and Mickey Spillane in an unusual Mike Hammer story. There is quite a mixture of different types of stories and settings, so the collection really does have something for everyone.

I have read many collections that have only a couple of good stories, but "Crimes by Moonlight" contains one great story after the other. Fans of vampire and other paranormal stories will love this collection. In addition, those that like the work of contributing authors such as Harley Jane Kozak, Elaine Viets, and Margaret Maron, who aren't usually known for paranormal stories, will love seeing another side of these authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars strong paranormal mysteries anthology, April 10, 2010
These twenty short stories focus on paranormal mysteries that run the urban fantasy gamut with vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts, seers, mages and Mike Hammer making featured appearances. All of the contributions by The Mystery Writers of America authors are enjoyable tales that sub-genre fans will want to read as the diversity of the supernatural adds to the overall fun. Vampires are right at home in Parnell Hall's amusing "Death of a Vampire" and Charlaine Harris's "Dahlia Underground". Ghosts star in Harley Jane Kozak's "Madeeda", Carolyn Hart's "Riding High" as a marriage counselor and even as a phantom ship in Lou Kemp's "In Memory of the Sibylline". Finally Hammer has a "Grave Matter" (by Max Allan Collins and Mickey Spillane) case with a supernatural taint. This is a strong anthology as everyone contributing showed up in top form providing enjoyable Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side collection.

Harriet Klausner

2.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of info., June 16, 2012
I bought this book for Charlaine Harris's story but decided to read them all and try to write something about each one. These stories are all so short it's hard to give a synopsis without giving away too much or ruining the ending. I tried to be as careful as I could not to ruin the "punch line", because of this in most of the stories I couldn't even tell you what kind of supernatural is even in them. All the stories have something paranormal in it. (vamp, shifter, ghost,...) Unfortunately I think the stories are just too short to truly give you a taste of a new author. I personally prefer anths that have 3 or 4 stories in them instead.

(Stories are listed in the books order)

1) Dahlia Underground - Charlaine Harris - vamp - Story should be read RIGHT after Harris's Southern Vampire Bk7 "All together Dead". Dahlia Lynley-Chivers wakes up buried in the pyramid rubble (see/read A.T.D.) This story contain the local vamp's reaction/retaliation to the explotion. It may be short but it's a nice little addition to the Sookie series plus I like Dahlia and want to read more of her. At this point this is the third short with her in it plus she make a cameo appearance in A.T.D. (also in Tacky, Bacon) This story should be an epilog at the end of A.T.D.

2) Hixton - William Kent Krueger - Reporter D'Angelo tracks down an old retired cop to hear the true story about 5 missing boys and gets more than he expected - this one is a type of remake of a common children's story, can't tell you which one or I ruin the ending. - not to my "taste" (you'll get my joke after you read it)

3) Small Change - Margaret Maron - shifter - Laurel (13yr old) set out in an unusual way to catch the thief of her dad's antique store - kind of cute little story I would be interested in giving one of her longer stories a try

4) The Trespassers - Brendan Dubois - Police Chief Hoyt Graham is called in the middle of the night to a local famous house to find 1 half of a 2 man TV ghost hunting team dead - not great but worth a little time if you get this book.

5) Madeeda - Harley Jane Kozak - Jane England, a pregnant mother and her twin son's get messages from a purple and green witch - this one is very weird and hard to describe.

6) House of Horrors - S.W. Hubbard - The Harrigan family spend the day at the Jersey Shore bonding with their new adopted 9yr. old daughter and a teen boy goes missing in the House of Horrors. - didn't care for this one at all

7) Sift, Almost Invisible, Through - Jeffrey Somers - a man gives a series of photos of himself taken over a year's time all featuring the same mystery man in the background to PI Philip K. Marks. Who or what is this man?

8) The Bedroom Door - Elaine Viets - Leila is warned by her "cursed" grandmother that her business partner will die in 3 days.

9) The Conqueror Worm - Barbara D'Amato - Neal Hofstra received e-mails from an old friend ... a dead friend

10) In Memory of the Sibylline - Lou Kemp - The events aboard a ship in the 1800's and its mysterious guest- an interesting story, might be worth a look at others by this author, maybe.

11) The Bloodflower - Martin Meyers - how having the right/wrong apartment can change 1 women's life forever- didn't care for this story.

12) The Awareness - Terrie Farley Moran - a banshee investigates the murder of one of her charges - has some interesting possibilities for a book or series here.

13) Tadesville - Jack Fredrickson - the life of a banjo player on the road, it never pays to be greedy - I'll take a pass on this one

14) Limbo - Steve Brewer - Mercer wakes up dead on an otopsy table and sets off to find his killer

15) The Insider - Mike Wiecek - Detective Clark is asked to investigate a ghost giving stock tips. Is it legal or insider trading?

16) Swing Shift - Dana Cameron - Jake Steuben is called in by his FBI friend to go undercover to find the source of a governmental leak to the Nazis. - a little interesting, shows some promise for a series/book.

17) Riding High - Carolyn Hart - Bailey Ruth Raeburn a ghost/emissary from Heaven kills time after completing her mission.

18) Grave Matter - Max Allan Collins and Mickey Spillane - Mike Hammer a WW2 vet gets news an old war buddy is dead, he goes to investigate since no one else will, not even the police.

19) Death of a Vampire - Parnell Hall - goth college student hires P.I. Stanley Hastings to first find out if her boyfriend really is a vampire, then find him after he goes missing - not to bad of a story

20) Taking the Long View - Toni L.P. Kelner - vampire couple Mark and Stella go to a vampire birthday party were another vamp ends up dead. Who is the killer? - cute, has possibilities for more.

As I have NOT read anything by most of these authors and they are sooo short I can't really comment much. (Think a chapter length per story.) Several of them I suspect are like Harris's story and part of a series that would make the short better/fill in the blanks. I had to struggle to get myself to finish this book because I didn't like the majority of it. I still wish they had cut out most of them and giving us longer shorts so we could get a better idea if it is worth checking out any of the other authors or not. Even the stories I think hold promise I don't know if I well ever bother to look for more or not with such a small taste. I've read enough books that had the idea for a great story but no ability to complete it.

All in all I would only recommend this book to someone that is getting it because one of the stories are part of a series they already have and only if you "really" want to read the short. I would not recommend it to a new reader. If you are looking at this book as an anthology to find a new author try a different one with fewer stories. If you want it for Harris's story like I did and have the patience wait and see if she comes out with another book like "A Touch of Dead" that groups her shorts into one book. I didn't have the patience myself. :( But my guess is she will.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs better editing, January 24, 2011
I'm afraid that after I struggled to get into Charlaine Harris's opening story in this book (in which she is the editor), I dropped it and moved on to the next story in line. I've always wondered whether or not writers should edit themselves, and after reading that story, I have my answer, and it is not affirmative. I like the Sookie Stackhouse novels, I enjoyed the Lily Bard novels, and I enjoy the worlds Ms Harris has built. I did not enjoy this particular story, and I respectfully suggest she find an external editor or a more critical beta for her non-novel work in the future.

The other stories are all right. There are some good stories in here (such as Madeeda, House of Horrors, Riding High, The Insider) and some gems (Death of a Vampire, Taking the Long View). Unfortunately, I just could not get into a lot of the other stories--one or two stories in this book made me so sleepy in the middle of the workday during my break that I actually considered dropping the entire book before it was finished.

Stories I skipped (did not enjoy and gave up): Dahlia Underground, Tades Ville
Stories you should definitely try: Death of a Vampire, Taking the Long Vie

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with outstanding and very different mysteries, July 18, 2010
Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries From the Dark Side gathers new mystery stories from some of the biggest mystery novelists today, includes a new Sookie story from the author, and features some of the biggest names in crime-writing history - from Carolyn Hart and Barbara D'Amato to Lou Kemp. From a vampire attack to a ghost assigned to help humans in trouble who becomes tangled in a marital dispute, this is packed with outstanding and very different mysteries!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of the paranormal, October 4, 2011
Fred Camfield (Vicksburg, MS USA) - See all my reviews
Most of us who have written short stories have probably written as least one dealing with the paranormal. My effort was "Josette" which was in the now defunct Skyline magazine a half dozen years ago (never can tell whom you might meet in a bar). This collection contains 20 short stories by an equal number of authors, at least some of whom are not known for writing about the paranormal. It is a very good collection to have on hand. You can occasionally read one of the short stories when you don't feel up to reading a full novel - in that regard it is a good collection for commuters.

One of my favorites in Small Change by Margaret Maron - it deals with shape changers and has a side issue about bullies. If a bully chases you around a corner and suddenly finds himself confronting a tiger, well... The main issue involves concealing onself to do surveillance. You can be an inconspicuous vase sitting on a shelf, or maybe a cigar store Indian.

Other stories deal with vampires, ghosts, etc. A ghost may stick around looking for revenge, and you may get involved in a relationship with a vampire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great anthology by Charlaine Harris, February 16, 2011
Amazon Customer (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I never used to read short stories, but once I read one of Charlaine Harris' anthologies, I was hooked. Death's Excellent Vacation; Many Bloody Returns; Wolfsbane and Mistletoe; Must Love Hellhounds; Strange Brew. I think the first for me was the hellhound one. I can't wait to read more!

I cannot remember all of the titles because I have returned the book to the library, but they all were good. I especially liked seeing favorite authors bring a little paranormal into their mysteries, e.g., Margaret Maron.

One story was especially creepy. It was Tadesville. I don't like stories that are too creepy, like this one, but that it sticks with me is probably a sign of how good it is. Bit hard to understand.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down..., March 27, 2011
Each story starts off mildly to moderately intriguing and then fizzles out. It's as if each author had a great idea, got started on a roll, and then said, "Oh shoot, this is supposed to be a short story, how can I end it in a couple of more pages?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Short story supernatural fun!, July 2, 2014
This audio book is great. Lots of different supernatural stories with bite. You never know what's coming next. I would recommend all of Charlaine Harris' short story collections.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, June 24, 2014
Some were better than others, but they were all worth the time to read and kept my interest. I love these short story collections and wasn't disappointed at all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side
Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side by Carolyn Hart (Hardcover - April 6, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01