Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Format: DVDChange

"Criminal Minds: Fifth Season" contains the 23 episodes of the latest dramatic season for this outstanding and unique TV police procedural, in which the FBI's Behavior Analysis Unit tracks down criminals by getting inside their heads.

The ensemble cast remains a strength of the show, returning Thomas Gibson as team leader Aaron Hotchner, Joe Montegna as Special Agent David Rossi, Matthew Gray Gubler as Dr. Spencer Reid, Shemar Moore as Special Agent Derek Morgan, Paget Brewster as Special Agent Emily Prentiss, A.J. Cook as Special Agent JJ Jareau, and Kirsten Vangsness as Analyst and computer whiz Penelope Garcia.

The Fifth Season opens with a disturbing episode in which Hotchner is tortured by the recurring villain and serial killer known as the Reaper. His ex-wife and son go into protective custody with the US Marshal Service while a healing Hotcher attempts to catch the killer. This multi-episode story arc culminates in a terrifying mid-season episode, in which the Reaper captures Hotchner's family, triggering a fight to the death with consequences for the whole BAU. Special Agent Derek Morgan will finally get his chance at a leadership position, while the team will adjust, for the moment, to getting along without Hotchner.

The Fifth Season rotates the spotlight so that each agent gets to lead an episode. Among the highlights: a case in David Rossi's hometown in New York state, where old friends are now members of a criminal family; and an episode set in Alaska, in which Penelope Garcia gets face to face with a serial killer in a very small town.

"Criminal Minds: Fifth Season" is very highly recommended to its fans, and to new viewers looking for a powerful and gritty police drama.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2010
I have owned the previous 4 seasons on DVD. Each time I get them, I spend almost two straight days watching episodes. The fact that no single actor overplays the others, to me, is good acting ...unlike the previous post. I liked this season and can't wait to watch it again on DVD. I like learning about personality types, to the extent you can do that on a tv drama. My heart broke this year as Aaron has to hear his ex-wife's final words and the story of finding his son in the chest. I liked watching Morgan become the leader and seeing the sibling-like relationship between him and Garcia. I am a computer analyst, but always love seeing what else is (or may some day) be out there in cyber technology. I know it's a drama. I know it's all fake. But the looks inside some of our country's serial killers, for example, as Reed and others do, makes me wish I had studied forensic psychology. I am not a critic of arts, per se. The characters are believable and human. Makes me appreciate law enforcement, while seeing their human side too.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2010
Season 5 of Criminal Minds is by far the most emotional of all past seasons. I am an avid CM fan, and have all of the seasons on DVD. This season is full of emotional episodes, from the very first, "Nameless, Faceless" to "100" and most recently "Exit Wounds". There are a lot of amazing Morgan & Garcia moments. Each character has at least one central episode, although I would term this season a primarily Hotch season.

I would consider this a must have for any Criminal Minds fan!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2010
I just started watching Criminal Minds by accident about a year ago. I can't believe I never heard about it. Now I am addicted to it. It is one of the smartest and well cast series to date. The George Foyette episodes were brilliant. Thank god for reids new hairdo he looks more mature. I have watched almost all of series 1-4 and cannot wait for season 5 I never tire of watching it. I am so glad Joe Mantanga was added he completes the package. There was more humor in this season especially from Hotch. Why this show is not nominated for and Emmy I'll never know. I love that everyone is allowed to be themselves and helps each other work through personal situations. I don't know if they can top this season.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Criminal Minds has been a rollercoaster in some resects because the Behavioral Analysis Unit is not one of those 9-5 jobs. It scars its members and it sometimes leaves them in pieces, checking them out and tattering them much like a library would do to books it keeps on shelves. The only problem with this is exactly what happens to the people. With Gideon (Seasons 1-3) you had a change that happened as he progressed and saw loss. He was not the same, hurting me to watch, and he became a shell that needed to walk away. The same can be said for other member,s like the one who came back despite the turmoil and the career in books and the problems in places like Ruby Ridge. Then there is the doctor with the family, the tech that had a lead problem (I'm allegic to bullets, they break me out in all kinds of badness), adn now Hotch.

Of all the people that ever have anything happen, Hotch has it the worst. He already has problems within his family and it has played out, from the married to the wanting to leave to the way things played out and the seperating. The worse comes later than that, here, and it is bad. The Ripper is called back from the brink and he makes a little dancing debut, and that thing isn't one of those band-aid things that happens in a few episodes. It changes everything and it hurts to see.

As far as the episodes, more darkness and more serial killing mingles into the stories. There are staples that are here as well, from the arson that occurs to the other bits, but you have a storyline that follows hotch as well. It occurs in the last season a little and then at the end, and you see the pain it all brings. You see the violation at the end last time and you see the way things break, and you wonder what wil occur. C. Thomas Howell is great in causing it, too, and the Ripper character is one of those things you know will always second-guess the best and the brightest.
I like it.

As for extras and whatnot, I was not overly amazed. I do not expect a lot, either, but some things ar enice. I personally like the deleted scenes but never th elooks back, and I say that because they are spoilers in a nutshell.
5/5 for it and a thanks for your time. You could read other reviews - I appreciate you seeing what I think and I hope this helps.

Faceless, Nameless (Part 3)","Haunted","Reckoner," "hopeless," "Cradle to Grave, "the eyes have it," "The Performer," "Outfoxed," "100," "The Slave of Duty," "Retalitaiton," "The Uncanny Valley," "risky Business," "Parasite," Public Enemy," "Mosley Lane," "solitary Man," "The Fight," "a rite of Passage," a Thousand Words," "Exit Wounds," "the Internet is Forever,' Our Darkest Hour"
on September 6, 2010
I just started watching Criminal Minds in January 2010 and am completely addicted to it. I have purchased all 4 seasons and watched them through at least twice. Each episode is creepy and interesting and keeps me riveted to the last moment. I love each of the characters and the way that they relate to each other. One of the other reviews mentioned the fact that none of them outshines any other and I completely agree! Can't wait to get this season since I missed several of the early episodes.
on June 16, 2012
I bought this item from Unfortunately, the pictured box set with the individual DVD cases must have been for an earlier edition. The current edition has all 6 disks packaged in a 6 disc jewel case with a case insert. I purchased season 6 at the same time which is still shipping in the box with 3 individual slim line DVD cases inside. Just a FYI for collectors. The content is the same as far as I know. Just finished watching season 5 which was pretty good.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2010
Criminal Minds is the most awesome show on TV I watch nothing else but them. I will watch it over and over again can never get enough of Morgan and Garcia they are just like my family. The best thing they did was to bring Prentiss in and Joe M just can't get enough of Hotch he is the best ever
on April 18, 2011
Series was fine. Unfortunately the DVD itself seemed off. The sound levels did not consistently match to the DVD menu volume, so I could have the volume maxed out during an episode just to hear, but soon as it was over and it went to the DVD menu, my ears were attacked.

It's not the seller's fault though as it is the manufacturing. It still shows the episodes well enough so I don't mind keeping it. Item was shipped and received well within the required shipping time-frame and packaged securely.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
CRIMINAL MINDS, despite some intermittent cast changes through the seasons (yes, we all miss Mandy Pritikin) continues to bring us smart television. The dialogue may at some points seem like a roundtable dissertation on aspects of abnormal psychology, passing from one character actor in the investigative team to the next, but the information they disclose in these sessions is fascinating and makes sense to the viewer. Each segment begins with a significant quote and each ends with one and this seemingly small technique shows respect for the viewer. The cases more often than not are those of serial killers, showing us how these criminal minds are created by their background, what constitutes their behavior, and how examining that studied behavior as each new case develops leads to their capture.

The cast still includes the magnetic Shemar Moore, Paget Brewster, the intense Thomas Gibson, A.J. Cook, Matthew Gray Gubler as the would be nerd but brilliant thinker, Joe Mantegna and Kirsten Vangsnes (often the brains behind the breaks!). What a team - with enough chemistry to keep us all involved over the weeks of each season. And then there are often guest stars as the Unsub (Unknown Subject of an Investigation), stars of the caliber of Jason Alexander. This is a thinking person's show and a well produced one at that. Keep them coming! Grady Harp, August 10