This review does not contain spoilers.

Chances are, if you're looking into this, you already know enough about the series to know whether or not you like the characters, setting, or general plot. So if you've made it through the first three books and found it so far enjoyable, this book will be a treat for you.

I've sadly come to expect lackluster...
Published 20 months ago by M. Valentine

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent finish, but I hoped for more
The Crimson Crown is a solid finish to a great fantasy series. It suffered from a slow start and a somewhat ploddy middle, but the last half was faster-paced, with some unexpected twists and turns.

"Crown" picks up where "Gray Wolf Throne" left off. Raisa ana Marianna is Queen of the Fells. Han Allister, her enigmatic love interest/bodyguard is at her side...
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly satisfying conclusion to this wonderful series!, October 24, 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) (Hardcover)
This review does not contain spoilers.

I've sadly come to expect lackluster conclusions to series I love as of late. It seems many authors are unsure how to end their stories gracefully, and their final books sometimes lose that same magic that made me love them in the first place. Cinda Williams Chima is not one of those authors, and The Crimson Crown is not one of those books. I felt this series like a crescendo, rising up and growing bolder, louder, and more powerful as it went along.

I admit, this book was not what I was expecting. She could have simply tied up the loose ends left by The Gray Wolf Throne and left it at that, and I would have been okay with that. But this book goes above and beyond, with its own mysteries, twists, and gripping action that took me by surprise. She answers questions in delicious tidbits that make you want to keep reading, rather than revealing everything all at once like I might have expected. There was more danger, more love, and more political intrigue than the previous installments. Emotions were stronger in this book as well, and there were times when I genuinely cried, laughed, or had a big stupid grin on my face as I was reading (a sign of a good book if there ever was one). It's a very well-crafted novel.

Though I love it to death, it's not entirely above criticism. There were certain plot points that I felt were somewhat tacked on (Dancer's rings, for instance), and some characters that seemed abandoned in the conclusion. But these were minor, minor things for me.

It's impossible to end a beloved series without wanting more, or without feeling that sense of loss that it's over, but I was still incredibly satisfied with the ending. There comes a point when a reader has to say that, okay, Han and Raisa's story is over. I think it would be a shame to leave this world behind completely, but I leave that to the author. I just hope she continues writing for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing conclusion to a wonderful series, October 25, 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) (Hardcover)
Such a satisfying ending to a wonderful series!!

I have been with the series ever since the Demon King and so have had to wait painfully for a year in between each new novel. This last year long wait was not in vain. The crimson crown is a beautifully crafted novel, that is suspenseful and full of action from the beginning. Once again the novel switches between Han and Raisa, with each switch leaving the reader begging for more. This novel has it all, romance, intriguing politics, action, and mystery. Top it all off with a wonderful ending and you have a more than wonderful book to read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Ending to the Best Fantasy Series Out There, October 25, 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) (Hardcover)
Amazing. Beautiful. Exciting. I just don't have the right words to describe how incredible The Crimson Crown was. It was the perfect ending to an epic series.

I think one of my most favorite things about this book is that Chima didn't try to do too much. It seems that, much of the time, authors try to tie up every single loose end at the end of a series, and as a result, all the major plot points are hurried and less than they could've been. Chima's too smart for that, and thank goodness for that. Oh don't worry - all the main questions that had been dogging us for awhile now were answered. But, despite a very perfect ending, you're left feeling that there's still more story to tell. There's still problems and looming tensions. Not everything was tied up in a neat little bow. At the start of the book, there was so much going on - I'm so glad that Chima picked her battles (excuse the pun).

If you have not read The Seven Realms yet, seriously - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? I hate having to reduce myself to yelling at you, but honestly, you won't find a better high fantasy series out there anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, October 24, 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) (Hardcover)
A great conclusion to a fabulous series. Cinda Williams Chima delivers an extremely satisfying conclusion to her Seven Realms Series. Chima weaves a carefully crafted tale of political and romantic intrigue. This series is high fantasy and suitable for both teens and adults. While I am sad to leave this world behind, I am so comfortable with the outcome and the way the Chima brings resolutions to even her minor characters that I feel the characters are safe to continue their Journey. I can't recommend this book and the series enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amazing ending..., October 24, 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) (Hardcover)
I preordered this book and it did not disappoint. I have read a LOT of books similar to this, and the ending to this book was the most gorgeous thing I have ever had the pleasure to read! Honestly, the last two pages were the most beautiful thing in the world and I am still crying while I write this, 5 minutes after I've finished the book! (and yes, I seriously am crying)

4.0 out of 5 stars Falls a little short!, November 10, 2012
Overall I enjoyed the final book in the Seven Realms series. Spoiler alert, I'm going to talk details. Anyways, like other wizard based fantasy novels, I thought this one fell a little short. All the hype surrounding the power of the wizards, and the lost wizard artifacts, and there was nothing to really show for it. In the end, young Allister doesn't defeat the wizard counsel because he is more powerful, but because of luck. I was expecting some high powered magical warfare, and was left with nothing spectacular. I don't mean to diminish the rest of the book, because it was really well written and put together. And I enjoyed it immensely, but the lack of magical action is what led to the 4 out of 5 stars rating. Had there been a little more action, it would have definitely been more entertaining and received a 5 out of 5. Overall, great series!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this Series!!!! Won't Disappoint!!!, October 30, 2012
My only complaint is that the series ended because I loved reading it! I've gotten my whole family into it now and everyone loves it. There just has to be more to this series though, there's so much more story there.
This final book was non stop, I loved every part and never got bored!
I read a LOT and this is one of my favorite series I have read. You will not be disappointed with this. If you like fantastic writing, a great love story, a non annoying, smart (as in never falls for the BS around her) heroine, magic (not overdone), and mystery then this is not to be missed!
And also since I'm a married mother of 2 now I like to know if YA are "too young" and this is definitely not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, October 25, 2012
This is the best book ive ever read . Im serious, i love the story and the action. ive read so many of her books but have really enjoyed this one. i hope cinda williams chima continues to make as many great series such as this on

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter Perfection., January 18, 2014
Special Review: To be exact, this isn't REALLY a review for The Crimson Crown only--this is more like a series review of the entire Seven Realms Series which consist of:
The Demon King
The Exiled Queen
The Gray Wolf Throne
The Crimson Crown

The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1)The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3)The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)

I'm doing this mostly because I just recently reread this series, fell in love all over again, and don't want to take the time to review it in increments because I know what happens after each installment. I'm afraid if I try to review each book separately, I'm going to either spoil something or talking about something that happened in a future book. But overall, I guess I will focusing more heavily on the ending of the series, thus why I will name this review for the fourth and final installment.

Series Book Breakdown Ratings:

The Demon King: 4 stars
The Exiled Queen: 4.5 stars
The Gray Wold Throne: 5 stars
The Crimson Crown: 5 stars
Overall Average: 4.6 stars

Steph's Review: There will be small spoilers for the first few books, since I will be reviewing the series with The Crimson Crown in mind.

The Seven Realms series might be on the more tween-teen side of high fantasy books, but nonetheless is still remaining one of my all-time faves. While the series started off on a rather predictable note, Cinda Williams Chima improved the plot and language with every book in the series and turned an average magic-genre book (The Demon King) into a highly epic adventure. If I had started reading these books as a middle-schooler, I know I would have been maniac obsessed with these and been that "special" (and annoying) kid that forces every single last friend she has into becoming an obsessee with her :)

Now, I can't express just how utterly perfect the ending to Seven Realms is. If anything, people should read this series to bask in the glory of the epilogue to The Crimson Crown. All the angst, tears, screams of frustration, and cries of sorrow that readers have invested into the series is definitely not for naught, and all the turmoil she put both her readers and own characters through ends on a perfectly-pitched high-strung chord. It. Was. PERFECT, ok? You don't get a lot of series where the author can make a good ending without seeming like they tried to make a HEA. To me, there's a huge difference to me between an author who tries to make everything work out (and you can tell especially when things get ridiculous--e.g. Maximum Ride) and one who writes so smoothly that there can only be an HEA. Cinda Williams Chima, with this series, falls into the latter category. I will read anything she writes now because I have assurance that her books will retain quality.

In the final installment of this series, Han and Raisa have to find a way to battle their main opponent: The Bayars. Han has to fend off one of the most powerful wizards known to the Seven Realms, Gavan Bayar, and Raisa has to deal with the deceitful woos of Micah Bayar. They each have their own battles, but have the same enemy. The must not fail, or else it could spell the end to the Gray Wolf Line of Queens of the already fragile nation of the Fells.

For some reason, this book reminds me of the Greek story of Pyramus and Thisbe (the one about the two lovers who communicated through the holes and cracks between the walls that separated their homes) , except without the tragic ending. Han and Raisa come from completely different worlds but have the purest love for each other; they are really one of those great love stories that only come once every century. To the public eye, they would never be accepted as a couple, and they must work through the masses at the same time as battling their enemies to make their bright future. Han and Raisa couldn't always be together, and even if they were, they could only communicate shallowly--much like Pyramus and Thisbe whispering to each other through the few cracks in the thick walls that separated them.

The Crimson Crown has every element of my definition of a "good book"--a perfect harmony between suspense, action, an air of mystery, and the sweetest romance. The flawless writing contributes even more to this series more than anything, and simply, you just feel awesome while reading this series. I could not put any of these books onto my nightstand no matter how late it was; these books had a little voice I couldn't ignore that kept on calling me back to them whenever I tried to set them aside, and I would stay up until I finished the book. This entire series is a must, must read for all ages, a timeless fantasy that will always be a favorite!

--Steph and Dani @ A Walk on Words

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Finish, July 27, 2013
Matthew Ries (Collegedale, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) (Hardcover)
The Crimson Crown completes Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series in a wonderful, outstanding fashion that makes the reader not only appreciate the book by itself, but the series overall. Queen Raisa and Han Alister, friends and both distant descendants of the infamous Demon King and legendary warrior queen Hanalea, try to bring together the peoples of the Fells in their own ways. Raisa uses politics and her authority as Queen while Han uses his street smarts in an attempt to outmaneuver schemes of several Wizards, however both find themselves stymied or unintentionally ruining the other's plans. Then the mysterious deaths of Wizards on Han's home turf and everything points to him, things start getting really difficult.

As Han attempts to keep his promise to the Clans, gain his revenge on the Bayars, and attempt to win Raisa's hand in marriage he continues to consult his magical mentor Crow, his ancestor Alger Waterlow and infamous Demon King, to learn his secrets and later the true events of a 1,000 years before. Even with all his plans falling apart, Han discovers the lost Armory of the Gifted Kings, only to fall into the hands of the Bayars just afterwards at the same time Fells is betrayed and invaded by Arden. Literally things go from bad to worse for both Raisa and Han, it looks like there will be no happy ending.

However, it was then that Chima showed her talent as a writer as she crafted a believable series of events that resolved the various storylines set up not only in the first half of the book but in the previous three books to a satisfying conclusion not only to the book but the series as well. Not everyone the reader has met survives, not many "villains" get redeemed or die, betrayal by friends or family occur that result in either deaths or lose of trust, and the external enemies are still a threat. It is because the Seven Realms series doesn't end like a fairy tale that makes this book so outstanding, its about how two individuals from different backgrounds were able to confront a 1,000 years of history to be together and start changing their homeland in a lifetime of work.

If you like good fantasy, or good storytelling, or good characters, or all three(!); I recommend this series to readers of all ages.

The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel)
The Crimson Crown (A Seven Realms Novel) by Cinda Williams Chima (Hardcover - October 23, 2012)
$18.99 $14.64