Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crio Bru (Ghana Light Roast - Cavalla, 24oz)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Flavor: Ghana Light Roast|Size: 24 oz|Change

on December 26, 2013
I looooove Crio Bru Cavalia. I use four scoops and 16-20 oz of hot water in a French Press and let it steep for at least 10-15 minutes to get the best flavor. Don't expect a cup of hot chocolate. This is a bitter, coffee-like beverage. I add a little sugar and cream to mine. (My husband, a plumber, warns not to pour the used grinds down the kitchen sink unless you want to ruin your disposal and clog your pipes. Mr. Grumpy Pants says to either put the grinds in the trash or dump them outside.)
44 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2013
I love this Bru. As long as your not expecting Milk chocolate, like Hersey or Nesquik, This is more akin to coffee ,it brews like coffee, I use a french press. The flavor is more like a unsweetened dark chocolate,witch can be sweetened the same manner as you would coffee. It is low in calories and contains no sugar, no fat, no dairy, no sodium, no cholesterol and practically no caffeine, yet is extremely high in antioxidants, theobromine and a host of other vitamins and minerals...
on March 26, 2013
When I followed the directions, it tasted so weak. Maybe I was expecting more of a hot chocolate consistency, but the watery quality of it turned me off. When I used 2 tablespoons per ounce, then it started to taste better. However, it's too expensive to purchase and brew for everyday use based on that 2 to 1 ratio.
on January 23, 2016
I love chocolate, the darker the better. I also have had to give up caffeine for health reasons. For years and years I drank decaf coffee but rather suddenly I lost my tolerance for it. My husband (who still drinks regular coffee) found an article extolling the pleasures of Crio Bru and we decided to give it a try. We both like it very much. You can't expect it to be just like coffee. It doesn't have quite the body of coffee, and it has more oil (but not so much that it's a problem). It's also not much like cocoa, except that it tastes chocolatey. It's its own drink and it's quite satisfying. It's really good with cream and also without, and has a slight sweetness that I find enough, and sugar isn't needed (though it might be great with sugar and marshmallows). It also doesn't have caffeine, which is a plus for me, and I can drink it before bed and not have it keep me awake.

I have brewed it several ways: I've used a tea basket such as you might have inside a tea pot (swishing it around to actively steep), fill-your-own tea bags, and an AeroPress. It takes a few minutes to steep fully, so I've sometimes reheated the brew in the microwave for a minute. Of those methods I like the tea basket the best and the fill-your-own tea bags the least. I am going to get a French press, which I've read as a recommended method for brewing this roast.

Definitely try it!
on December 8, 2014
I have been ordering Crio Bru for over a year. I have to admit, it is the best go to item when you want a warm cup of something wonderful, that will not make you jittery or add unwanted Carbs. Great in the morning with something to read, and great late night treat. I prefer the Cavalla, but that is an individual choice.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 25, 2015
I am obsessed with Crio Bru and drink it almost every day. I'm on a quest to try every variety (though I can't choose a favorite as I've liked every one I've tried so far).

The Maya blend is wonderful. It's got just a hint of spice (cinnamon and hot pepper), and that pairs really well with the chocolate. The hot pepper provides a little bit of a kick but it blends really well with the other flavors (and doesn't leave your mouth burning -- it's really just a small amount).

The whole experience of making and drinking this is fun. When you open the package, it smells amazing. If you use a coffee maker (you can also use a French press, though I haven't tried that), it comes out at the perfect temperature. (Please note: the bag says to use a metal permament filter in the coffee maker and I'd agree with this. I've tried both metal and paper and the oils from the cocoa tend to clog the paper filters.) I add just a touch of skim milk and some Equal or stevia and this totally feels decadent -- like drinking hot chocolate -- but without all the calories. (This does have about 10 calories per serving; using milk would add a few more calories.)

While you will have to experiment to find the perfect amount of Crio Bru for you, I find that three tablespoons in the coffee filter make about 4 "cups" (5.5 ounce coffee cups, that is) at a strength I like. This is low- to no-caffeine so it won't keep you up at night (trust me, I've tried it pretty late at night). While roasting of the cocoa beans may degrade some of the nutrients, overall, you're getting a nice antioxidant boost when you drink this, as well.

I'm so glad I found Crio Bru!
on June 7, 2014
i first tried this with my espresso machine. it was great! then tried it using their directions and it was terrible. like coffee in the espresso machine will give a unique and energizing drink. its really great. i knew i would like it when the sharks on "shark tank" hated it. it is fantastic!
on June 1, 2013
My husband and I, who are avid coffee drinkers (we love it!) had to give up caffeine for health reasons. We both drink our coffee black and the darkest roast we can get. So finding a sub for this was hard. The Crio Bru French Roast fits the bill. Although NOT coffee, it comes close and at least satisfies that desire for a dark, rich drink in the morning. We both feel great since giving up caffeine and this drink actually does provide other health benefits. We feel energized, without jitters or the acidity that coffee gives.
on January 19, 2014
I love these products and the Cavalla mix is the greatest ever, but this Maya mix is way too much pepper for me and I love pepper hence why I bought it. So if you like a ton of pepper with your cocoa you will love this. if not you will love the others they make.
on January 7, 2016
This is my new favorite drink. I've never been a huge fan of hot cocoa because it's waaaaaay too sweet. I love this stuff because you can make it as dark as you want and control the sweetness. I love it with honey and half and half. Takes me to my happy place. :)