Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 16, 2011
I've read a lot of Christian buck-novels lately and Crispens Point is now among my favorites. With the predictability of one of less than a dozen plots in romantic novels, the story line has to be the grabber. This one is very good. It's the sort of story you might hear in any small town. Realistic situations and a somewhat normal progression of plausible events do more for me than forced irony based upon ongoing coincidences. This book hit the mark.
The female author created the male leading-man's psyche much more accurately than most. She must be married to one of us or something.
Character development, story line and flow make Crispens Point an interesting read.
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2012
Reviewed by: Linda Gunhouse

When I first started reading the book, I couldn't put it down. I thought the descriptions were rich, and the character development was adequately strong. I did find quite a few typos that a good spell checker might have caught, and there were some formatting issues. What was disappointing is that the storyline lacked flow - too many unnecessary diversions that did not tie into the main plot or theme of the book. The hidden secret of the main character was not even hinted at until almost at the end of the book, and by this time it is a surprise that adds little to the story, or the character. However, the author manages to provide a good read in spite of these inconsistencies.
on December 31, 2011
Crispen's Point was a wonderfully delightful novel with a clean, interesting story line. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys great stories. I also recommend another book by Ms. Reardon titled, Prince Crossing. It was thought-provoking and well written. I give it an excellent rating, too!
on May 19, 2012
I can recommend this book as an overall clean read (except for one shocking expression where my eyes widened) with a definite Christian emphasis. I cannot, however, in good conscience recommend this book and feel someone must give a more balanced review for those considering purchasing it. It is nowhere near the quality of mainstream published Christian books. I dislike hackneyed expressions, but in this case, it's very true you get what you pay for. This book is not well-written. It's very simple and of the plot school of basic Point A to Point B with the least amount of emotion possible. It's like a retelling of events with very little continuity or flow nor is there much emotion and depth to draw me to the characters enough to even care for them. They are poorly drawn and unrealistic. Gordon was portrayed as a strong Christian pastor but was unloving, unkind and judged Charlotte. Not the kind of guy I like as the "hero" in a Christian romance, although he softened up during the story and changed his viewpoint. These characters all seem to have issues from the nosy neighbor to the new best friend who falls in love after one dinner (not that it can't happen, but still...). Chapters are disjointed and jerky and the characters are nothing more than props. It was frustrating because the point-of-view would jump from one character to the next in the same passage, in the same paragraph in some instances. There is no flow to the writing and it's like a very poor first draft. I stopped reading several times, skipped over passages and finally looked at the end to see if it ended the way I thought it would. It did. There were some good points in how Charlotte became involved in ministries at the church and had a good relationship with her mother, but this kind of story really does nothing toward promoting a good view of Christians in the local church. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved, but this author needs to take some classes and hone in on her writing. I'm sorry if this hurts the author, if she sees this, but it's my honest assessment.
on July 6, 2012
When I read the author's description and the reviews I ordered the book and settled into what I thought would be a very good Christian romance. Although the storyline was good one of the main characters (Pastor Gordon) was very immature and rude. I cannot imagine sitting under a Pastor who was that stoic and juvenile. In my opinion, he had absolutely no reason to be so judgemental of the main character so soon after meeting her. Plus the town was full of matchmakers, busybodies and desperate women. These kinds of people do exist but these characters were way over the top. Maybe if she slowed down the pace of the book and fleshed out the characters more it would have been a better read and the readers could get a clearer backgound of the characters to better understand their behavior. I really struggled to finish it.

I would not recommend this book even though it was $.99. I have read better and they were free.
on May 23, 2013
First of all, if the pastor of a church had treated me as rudely and with as much hostility as Pastor Gordon did, I'd have left that church, and shaken the dust off my shoes. He was so cold and so judgemental, I couldn't believe she stayed there. And the reason for his hostility? Because he found her physically attractive! Yow. Couldn't he have found her attractive, and still been a loving and caring minister for her? Just because you're attracted to someone doesn't mean you have to act on it, and it sure doesn't mean you should blame the other person for your attraction, or treat her like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe. What a mean-spirited man! Charlotte had the right idea....she found Gordon attractive, didn't say or do anything to let it be known to anyone, and was courteous and respectful to him. Pastor Gordon should have taken lessons from her.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2012
The entire time I was reading this book I thought it had been written by a child. I only finished it because I felt the child had some promising talent and deserved a chance. When finished, I discovered that the author was an adult! I was severely disappointed that the book had not been labeled as a book for children. The characters did not perform as normal human beings would. Very disappointing read though the moral message and scripture teachings were good.
on October 18, 2011
I downloaded this book from Amazon.com for my Kindle....It was just wonderful! The author is fantastic! Couldn't hardly put the book down. Amazon.com is the only way to go!
on April 15, 2013
I rarely write reviews - and I really wanted to like this book. Am stunned at the 5 star reviews on this book. I got to Chapter 7 or 8. To that point in the book, I did not find strong character development - very superficial. Yes, it is a 'clean' book' which for me, is a criteria for even opening a book. The attitude of the Pastor was unreasonable - really he would ignore a new parishoner b/c he thought he might be attracted to her? What finally did it for me, was a line about how the Pastor was upset enough to kick a dog - but luckily none were around. REALLY??? That comment is in a supposed Christian novel. Sorry folks, pass on this one.

That one line was enough to toss the book. Glad it was free.
on October 3, 2013
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written, refreshing ,different than other Christian romance I've read. I really love the main character Charlotte, she's the perfect example of how God loves us and no matter what you did wrong He can cleanse you and make you new. I love that she is a Christian romance writer I could relate to her in that regard, and how people tend to judge us sometimes. I love , love , the town of Crispens Point, and the people who live there. I hope to one day live in a small town like that where everyone knows and care about each other.
In all this was a great read, I am looking forward to read more books by JoHanna Reardon.