5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the Newbery Medal
First of all, I noticed a lot of reviewers complained that "no kid would ever read this". Being twelve-years-old, I can happily prove them wrong! I read "Criss Cross", and, unlike most people who reviewed the book, actually understood why it won the Newbery Medal! Let me tell you why.

The summary on the copyright page says something like "Teens in a small town...
Published on April 15, 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars I have lost all faith in the Newbery committee
Published on February 11, 2006 by Christopher Bleggi

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the Newbery Medal, April 15, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)

The summary on the copyright page says something like "Teens in a small town search for the meaning of love and life". This already gives you an overview of the book and explains what "Criss Cross" is truly about-if you look. I agree with several people who commented that they didn't enjoy the fact that the publishers put Debbie's "she wished something would happen" lines on the cover. This made "Criss Cross" seem like a fairytale, when really it's the opposite. A lot of books out there seem to follow one laid-out storyline throughout the book, but real life doesn't always follow that pattern. Sometimes, we can put together certain fazes of our life into a story, but sometimes, life just goes on, without major problems like death, divorce, moves, etc. That was one thing I really liked about "Criss Cross". The author made several funny and intellectual observations, and by the end of the book I was able to smile and say, "That's so true." I think the reason this product received such low reviews is that the readers were expecting a straight-forward story kind of book, instead of one that was more about life in general than a special time in life. I can appreciate that some readers might fidget, bored by the book, but I think you just have to go in reading "Criss Cross" with an open mind. I found that it was honestly written and well...what can I say, I really liked it! It's just one of those books that you can take out and smile. I was very offended by some of the reviews, but as I said earlier, "Criss Cross" is not your "normal" book. If you're expecting a "normal" book, I wouldn't recommend this, but if you're open to books where you have to work a little harder to get, this book is for you. My mom is going to read "Criss Cross" next and I am looking forward to talking about it when she's down, because it's the sort of book that's fun to talk about.

So why do I think "Criss Cross" won the "Newbery Medal"? "Criss Cross" is funny, observant, and honest. It makes sense. It's definitely much better than most of the books in Teen Literature, which are only about dating and popularity cliques. Sure a few of the girls in "Criss Cross" are into boys, but I still enjoyed them as characters. Some girls do like boys and I was able to respect the girls portrayed in "Criss Cross", instead of gagging like I usually do after reading about boy-crazy girls in some books. I was pleased to find a book for my age group that I could enjoy, as I often read adult books because of the limited interest level of books for kids my age (I recently read "My Sister's Keeper"-great book!). Just keep an open mind reading "Criss Cross". You have to think every so now and then, but I guarantee that once you give it a chance, you will not be sorry! I hope that the majority of people who read this review will think twice about what "Criss Cross" is about, because I think a few reviewers weren't trying hard enough to enjoy the essence of "Criss Cross". That is a fault of the humankind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy stuff. Perhaps too classy for some., January 23, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Library Binding)
Well it's about time! It's been a long long time since I sat down and enjoyed a Newbery winner. About this time last year I was finishing "Kira-Kira" and finding the entire episode pitiful (and, if you read the author's adult novel, just a tad over-familiar). The year before that was a year of a book that was enjoyed by many but didn't bowl me over a tad. Where were the funny Newbery winners? The ones that had the ability to elicit at least a chuckle from a tired old (27) children's librarian? Where were the "Holes" and the "Bud Not Buddy" books of the new millennium? And if they existed, why weren't they getting credited? This year the hype was circling about "Criss Cross" long before its actual win. In a kind of preemptive strike I added it to my to-be-read pile and then waited in anticipation on the morning of the official Newbery announcement. When I heard the winner's name I was not overly surprised but I was curious. "Criss Cross" was upgraded from fifth-book-I-need-to-read to WHY-AM-I-NOT-READING-THIS-RIGHT-NOW!!! I noted the fine combination of text and illustration/photograph/found object. When I read it I laughed. I laughed and I had a hard time not continually shaking my head in a kind of remembrance of my own early adolescent years. Perkins has very carefully crafted a pitch perfect tale of figuring out who you are just as you're exciting adolescence. It sounds unbearably treacly. It is, instead, sublime.

Debbie and Hector are having a time of it. Let's talk about Debbie first, though. She's fourteen and feeling particularly dull and uninteresting. She likes boys (she likes a football player boy for one) but she freezes up when she talks to them. Fortunately she has her old friends, friends since childhood, to help her out of being uncomfortable. She has Mrs. Bruning, the old German lady neighbor, to help out when the woman's arthritis is acting up. And she has Mrs. Bruning's cute grandson to get to know in the midst of what turns out to be a particularly big emergency. Then there's Hector. Hector, in a burst of not wanting to consider himself roly-poly and dull too, is learning the guitar. He likes a girl who is also learning, but at the same time he's resentful of her other admirer. Still, in spite of everything he's seeing the world in different ways and trying to figure out how he fits into it. It makes for a unique little summer.

Now I first came across the works of Ms. Lynne Rae Perkins through her picture books. When "The Broken Cat" came out I was bemused. When "Snow Music" hit the shelves I was in love. Now I've read, "Criss Cross" and I'm enthralled. I am a little sad that the publishers took the first sentence in the book, "She wished something would happen" and plopped it smack dab on the cover. Due to Ms. Perkins' quiet unassuming style, a person that requires all their books to contain gossip, glory, gore (and preferbly a smattering of all three) might be less than taken with the subdued nature of the story. I'll tell you right now that this isn't one of those books where someone overdoses on heroin and someone else gets caught in a bear trap (paging "Kira-Kira"). Now when I review a children's novel for Amazon.com I like to stick little tiny pieces of paper between the pages that I find contain sections I'd prefer to discuss in my review. Sometimes I stick them in because the sections are funny. Sometimes I stick them in because they show where a passage didn't work or the book made some kind of mistake. In this particular case I stuck in (one... two... three) six little slips of paper. Every single one of these is in a section that I thought was especially brilliant. Not a single one constitutes a literary flaw or a difficult-to-understand area. I cannot think of a better physical indication of how much I liked this book.

So let's go through the sections, shall we? First of all, Perkins has a gift of description that instantly recognizable as her own particular style. If you read "Snow Music" and then you read "Criss Cross" you have no doubts left in your furry little brain that the two books were written by the same dame. In this case, I loved the moment when the character of Hector was hoping that perhaps his eyes could move farther apart as he matured, "like a flounder's". I loved how Hector's sister Rowanne is a tentative driver and, "being in a car with her as she felt her way over the winding back roads was like being inside a flashlight held by someone searching for a contact lens". I liked the moment where Debbie speaks to an elderly lady and the books notes that, "She was one of those elderly women whose cleavage starts about two inches below her collarbone and your main response to it is an intellectual curiosity about how that can even physically work". God, I loved that line. Finally (because I can't go transcribing every cute little sentence from this book word for word) I loved this sentence: "So often in real life, one person wants to be understood, but obscures her feelings with completely unrelated words and facial expressions, while the other person is trying to remember whether she did or didn't turn off the burner under the hard-boiled eggs". The book has so much to say about class and change that reading it is akin to watching little fireworks of well-penned sentences burst over and over again.

And then there's the photography, the line drawings, the diagrams, and the eclectic level of art that fills this book to the brim. There's a wonderful, almost Robert Crumb-like illustration of Debbie's very intricate understanding of good bellbottom jeans. When she agrees to a pair of horrible pants and immediately regrets her choice (though they look semi-okay in the store), the books says, "If she could have spent her whole life in the tiny private dressing room, she might have worn those pants a lot". But back to the art. Perkins created all her own art for her picture books, so it should come as little surprise that she does the same thing here. Books for older kids, teens, and adults don't have a lot of pictures in them anymore so the feeling that comes from holding up a copy of this book is to be slightly weirded out. One librarian I showed it to flipped past the bookflap (which is interesting enough) and let out a low "woah" as she scanned the oddities that pop up unexpectedly every once in a while.

If I have any objections to the book at all it is that we have no clear idea when the story takes place (I decided it had to be 1979, but I could be wrong) or where it may be. We know that the town's name is Seldem but we aren't entirely certain what state that might be. Being a Michigan native (much like Perkins herself) I hoped against hope that the story was in that state. Then I read the part that described the mountains and that hope went ah-flyin' out the window. So maybe a little more clarification on the wheres and the whens wouldn't have been out of place. Now technically "Criss Cross" is a sequel to "All Alone In the Universe". I have admittedly not read "All Alone In the Universe". Fortunately, the book does not require a deeper knowledge of the characters than you would already get here.

The book actually kind of reminded me of Margaret Mahy's wonderful and somewhat forgotten, "Catalogue of the Universe". If you're a fan of this novel, definitely check that one out as well. Oh, and just to get you particularly tetchy parents out of the way, there is some swearing and a mention of menstrual cycles in this story. If you don't like it, don't read it. They work beautifully within the story and I wouldn't have them removed for anything in the world. I wouldn't have a word or sentence transplanted for all of Solomon's gold. This is a lovely book and I am FINALLY pleased with a Newbery winner again. And while I don't think it's actually going to be enjoyed by that many children, teens should definitely take to it. Or at least take a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an English teacher, June 19, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
I am flabbergasted by the low reviews of this book. I feel validated in my evaluation that this is a phenomenal book by reading the reviews of young people on this forum, who mostly say "FANTASTIC!"

I couldn't put this book down in the bookstore, devouring the first 20 pages before I left. I bought the book and read it quickly, amazed that such a fantastic book would be so deservingly awarded. It's hit and miss sometimes with Newbery books.

In "Criss Cross" I loved that "nothing happens," to use the biggest criticism posters have made. That's the point. If you look at the average life of a person, on a given summer, you won't likely see huge external events taking place. More likely, you'll maybe find the characters a little different on the inside. Especially if they're middle schooler.

I read "All Alone in the Universe" after I read "Criss Cross," and I loved it as well. Both books share Seldem and Debbie, but I wouldn't call them "sequels." They're more like stories about the same person around the same time. You might understand some of the quietness and details about Debbie more if you read "Universe" first, but it isn't necessary.

Perkins is a gifted author, and I'm now a devoted fan. I will definitely use her books to teach Middle School Language Arts classes, especially "Universe," which holds as its central theme the idea of friendship and what happens when your best friend finds a new best friend and you are left heartbroken. It's beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Like A Dream!, January 24, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Library Binding)
I am so glad Criss Cross won the Newberry Award because the book is artful, honest,and a step away from the norm, and it works beautifully as a novel. The book takes risks with form and technique, risks that challenge and play with the readers, leaving the readers with a different sense of image that one may normally experience after putting a book away. I believe this book will encourage teens to take risks with their own writing, and also with their own lives. Pick up a guitar. Sing a song. Do something different. It's a positive book. I just finished teaching an Adolescent Literature course, and we read several award-winning books, but when you read them one after another, often times, the books tend to feel loaded with misery, which is why it's wonderful to have an uplifting book earning this award.

Teachers will love using this book in the classroom. What a fantastic book for showing their students what life was like when they were younger, yet, be a book

that feels like it's taking place today for the students who are reading it. I love the fact that both parents and teens will enjoy reading the same book. It's a delightful book that takes the readers on a funny self-discovery journey. If it was an action-packed thriller it wouldn't be this gem of a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book., February 17, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
When the announcement was made that this book won the Newbery Award, I did my usual "put the book on hold at the library and peruse the reviews at amazon.com". I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not based on the rather negative reviews it has generally received here. But then of course, I saw E. Bird (miss ya "E"!) liked it and I usually find myself feeling the same way about any given book as she does (although she usually expresses her opinions so much more eloquently than I do!) I was also intrigued by the fact that our library system had classified this book as an adult book, despite the fact that it had just received a Newbery Award, for outstanding *childrens* literature. Interesting. I'll be also interested to see if this changes now that it won such an award.

I guess I tend to really like these "slice of life" sorts of books, because I found myself reading this rather quickly and smoothly. Sure, nothing really goes on in the story, but I guess that is Debbie's complaint to begin with. I imagine many people grew up similar to Debbie and her friends. I know I sure did. Although I am originally from Canada, I can certainly relate to the Midwestern vibe in this book, having grown up an hour away from the Minnesota border. When I was about the age of the characters (who, at the beginning of the book, were about 14-ish if my math is correct), I can remember spending my summers just hanging out with old friends from whom, in hindsight, I was clearly growing apart in my sleepy hometown. As far as catching that small town Midwestern feel, I thought that Lynne Rae Perkins nailed it perfectly.

I also liked all of the characters. It was great that they were slightly quirky and flawed, which I imagine is how many teenagers feel. They were not perfect. While their physical descriptions were a bit vague, I could imagine them being average looking rather than Sweet Valley High perfect. They also seemed to be outwardly confident, but not the "coolest" or most popular kids in the school, which I also found refreshing. I know that it probably would not have flowed with the storyline very well and would have made the book even longer, but I wish that the author had tapped into the minor characters a bit more. I found myself wanting to know more about Lenny, Phil, Patty, Russell, Meadow and Rowanne in particular. I also wanted to learn more about Debbie's family. Her sister Chrisanne was referred to a few times, but where was she now? Perhaps it is alluded to and I missed it, but I wanted to know more about her. The dynamic Debbie had with her mother was intriguing as well and I wanted to learn more. It reminded me of my relationship with my mother. I suppose I could relate to being the quirky daughter of a woman who seemed to be more beautiful, confident and happy as a teenager. While I don't think that there were any crazy mother issues, I was fascinated by their relationship and the fact that perhaps they didn't completely "get" one another, similar to my mother and myself.

OK, so it's clear that I liked this book, but would I recommend it to a child? Never. On the inner sleeve it says "for ages 10 and up". Uh huh. What child would ever read this book? I haven't the foggiest idea. At my library, we either have reluctant readers or children who have read everything in the library but want something else to be recommended to them. I would recommend this book to neither of these groups. I agree with the reviewer who said that this book would be best for seasoned Young Adult readers at best. I actually laugh at the thought of handing this 300 page book from the adult section to a child! Or booktalking it to a fifth grade class: "If you want to read 300 pages about the daily goings on of quirky teenagers growing up in a sleepy Midwestern town of yesteryear while exchanging Dawsons Creek-esque banter then read Criss Cross." Ha!

However, I cannot blame the author for the fact that her book has been wrongly recommended as a children's book. I also cannot let it affect the rating I give this book or let my Newbery rants cloud this review. However, I am truly and genuinely puzzled by the fact that this book won an award for CHILDREN'S literature. Can I say this enough? I know very few children who would enjoy this book and although I personally liked it as a 30 year old woman, I acknowledge that what I like is different from what I would recommend to a child. Reading this book made me weepy for the days when books like "Dear Mr. Henshaw", an actual KIDS BOOK, received the Newbery. What's going on here?

Sigh...I'm off to read some more Ramona books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Criss Cross, July 20, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
If Felicity, Clarity and Poetry were streets, they would intersect at CRISS CROSS.

The greatest compliment one actor can pay another is to honestly feel that he/she witnessed a performance of such quality that he/she feels they could never play the role as well -- that the right actor was cast for the part (a part that few actors can play well). The same goes for writers. Though I am an English teacher, I am also a playwright. As I got through the second (brilliant) chapter of this book, I knew that this gorgeous and insightful writing deserved my kudos as I could NEVER write anything this perceptive, insightful, or delicious.

In fact, if I had one word to describe CRISS CROSS, "Delicious" would be that word. Most delicious of all are the chapters about Hector; they're sweet, poignant, funny and likely to strike a chord with readers who can relate to the foibles of attempting to make a suitable impression on others, or realizing what it is that you want to do. These are among the best YA chapters I've EVER read.

The problem with this book is that it should be for adults, not kids. It is not meant to tell a linear story, but reveal characters and their thoughts and feelings -- the awkwardness of not knowing what to say when you've got a crush on someone, the feeling that Nancy Drew's friends resent her, that sense of not knowing whether or not you'll ever find the love of your life, the glory of exploring the terrain of the ordinary by travelling through someone else's perspective.

This writing is, as I mentioned, delicious. Kids won't recognize it as such because they want to keep the car moving and not stop the car to get out and see the sights. Perhaps the test of whether or not you should be reading this book is to determine whether you care to have a conversation about all the stupid things you did when you were fourteen -- the embarassing little things that you don't want to admit. Because, frankly, that's what CRISS CROSS is all about.

Personally, I LOVED the book because I found Lynne Rae Perkins's style and insight tapped right into the part of me that recognized the fidgety lessons of adolescence that life had to teach me. If you haven't been there before, you can't recognize the triumphs and failures (which are triumphs of their own) of learning to be yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have lost all faith in the Newbery committee, February 11, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
As someone who is studying to become a children's librarian, I was curious when a book I hadn't heard of won the Newbery award. Finally, I managed to find a copy and bought it. I want my money back. This is like the literary equivalent of Napoleon Dyanamite minus anything that can really be considered humorous. In other words: boring, random, and completely pointless. I normally finish any book I start, but after wasting half a day on this, I had to set it down for the sake of my own sanity.

Honestly, I can see why this won the award. It's written in a classy, poetic--but extremely pretentious--style with plenty of illustrations, which would work well if there was anything resembling a story. Unfortunately pretentious writing and experimental presentation are what win awards these days. The Newbery award is supposed to be given to book that contribute greatly to American literature FOR children--not for the literary elite. I can't imagine very many children enjoying this book.

Hopefully, at some point, literary elitism will die out, and clear writing, good plots, and well developed characters will be rewarded once again.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins, February 8, 2007
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
Criss Cross is a book about early teenagers dealing with everyday problems in their lives. These include anything from what to wear to how are they going to get someone to like them. After getting started reading this book, it was slow going. At first I thought what was the actual plot of the book. It seemed to jump around from one thing to the next without actually telling a story. By the middle of the book, it flowed better, and you were able to tell what the book was actually about. The book is about a girl named Debbie and a boy named Hector, who are looking to find the meaning of life and where they are in it. They are like any typical teen who are just starting to notice the opposite sex and how they can get their attention. The story follows the everyday life of theirs and their friends and how they are dealing with the same problems. It goes through the ups and downs of having first crushes and how to deal with them. As I read the book, it made me look back and realize that I was just like them at that age. Wondering what to do and how to get the boys to like me. For an adult, the book was difficult to follow at first, so I can only imagine what it would be like for a younger person. Overall the book did get better to read and follow; and it turned out to be a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting novel, July 22, 2008
LexiJane (New Market, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criss Cross (Paperback)
Criss Cross is a wonderfull book of friendship, self-realization, and growing up. It is printed in many different ways and forms that make it fun to read. I must be honest in saying it is sometimes a bit confusing, but you always get caught up later on in the story. The author gives you just enough descriptions to be able to get a good picture in your mind and still allow you to use your imagination. She also adds in some comedy here and there to make the read a pleasurable one. The plot is hard to identify, but in the end the author's intention comes through and everything makes sense. I would recommend it to young adults and adults. A grand book I think you will enjoy.
P.S. Although you may get frustrated early on don't give up. The ending makes it all worth while!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother looking for a plot, January 4, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
Firstly: This book is unique. There only the barest shadow of a plot, and very few action sequences. The whole book is character development. If you're a reader that skims all the descriptions to get to the action, you could read this book in five minutes.

That being said, if you go into this book with the intention of simply reading it, then you will be amazed. I was hooked simply by the second chapter title, "Hector goes into a sponge state and has a satori". This book, simply put, is about growing up and dealing with the world. The descriptions are evocative and really show how the characters think, especially with their bizarre analogies. It plays with the basic form of novels by writing some chapters in dialogue form, some in haiku, some in columns, etc. And the illustrations fit the characters perfectly. If you love reading for the sake of reading, for enjoying a story to its fullest then this is your book. If not, then you probably will hate this book and wonder why it won a Newbery, and it's your loss. If you do decide to read this book, read it with an open mind, and maybe you'll get it.

Criss Cross
Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins (Hardcover - August 30, 2005)
$16.99 $15.10