5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the Newbery Medal
First of all, I noticed a lot of reviewers complained that "no kid would ever read this". Being twelve-years-old, I can happily prove them wrong! I read "Criss Cross", and, unlike most people who reviewed the book, actually understood why it won the Newbery Medal! Let me tell you why.

The summary on the copyright page says something like "Teens in a small town...
Published on April 15, 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars I have lost all faith in the Newbery committee
As someone who is studying to become a children's librarian, I was curious when a book I hadn't heard of won the Newbery award. Finally, I managed to find a copy and bought it. I want my money back. This is like the literary equivalent of Napoleon Dyanamite minus anything that can really be considered humorous. In other words: boring, random, and completely pointless...
Published on February 11, 2006 by Christopher Bleggi

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars really, really slow, April 21, 2010
M. CHASE "Must Love Dogs" (Southern California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criss Cross (Paperback)
I bought this for my 11 yr old daughter who loves to read. She read 75 pages and told me she didn't want to finish it! I've never heard her say that about a book before. She said it was really slow and she kept waiting for "something" to happen...she even skipped to the end and read the last few pages and still didn't like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars When will this book end!!!, March 24, 2007
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
Criss Cross, by Lynne Rae Perkins is a fantastic book. NOT!!!!!!!!!!! This book had way too many things going on at once, I just couldn't keep up. There's Hector, Debbie, Rowanne, Dan , Meadow, Patty and Lenny. They expect you to know who they're talking about in the beginning of every chapter. It goes from making a wish to playing a guitar at the bottom of a church. I feel this story had no plot whatsoever. Even after the first 150 pages, I could not find the meaning of the book. It was boring.I thought the author could have left out alot of extra meaningless things to make the book more interesting and shorter instead of just adding and adding and adding all of this stuff that's not helping you understand. I would rather watch grass grow than read this book.Seriously, I almost fell asleep reading. Basically, I think this book needed some stronger power scattered around. You know, BAM!! BAM!! BAM!! I would not recommend this book to people who enjoy adventures and who read for fun, it would just be a waste of your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Criss Cross, February 5, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
This recent Newberry Award winner is one of the best books that I have ever read. Lynne Rae Perkins creates a great story line when these friends are out for summer break. Each character is going on their own special adventure which really seems to change their lives in different ways. Hector and Debbie, the two main characters, go through a lot of changes. Hector begins to play the guitar, and is pretty good. Debbie begins to have crushes on boys. With all of the characters, it can get a little confusing at times, but the story definitely kept my attention throughout the whole book. This novel was very relaxing and a great book for any age. I really fell in love with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Criss Cross, an Excelent book, September 28, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
This is a very good book that I definitely would recommend for you to read. It is about five teenager's every day life, but it is very good. I especially enjoyed it because it didn't have any excessive killing or dying in it, which I find is a main theme in many juvenile fiction books about children's life. This book was so good that I read it all in one day. I think that it was very good, and not at all boring. Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars hi people, November 28, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
The book Criss Cross was an easy read. The book took place in New York in the wealthy area. Debbie was like a spoiled little kid. Debbie all ways wanted everyone to leave her alone but they never did. Finally when they left her alone she wanted people to be around her.

I do not recommend the book to people because it was a boring book to read and because I did not like it. Some girls might want to read it because it is about a girl who is my age. I learned that if you wish for something it might come true, so be careful what you wish for.

1.0 out of 5 stars hoping for something, March 20, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
That's exactly what I was doing with this book. Hoping for something to happen. I finished the book and asked myself WHAT WAS THE PLOT? Then I realized there wasn't one. Sadly enough, I think it was a poor choice for a Newberry Award winner.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Newbery Winner?, May 7, 2006
Amazon Customer (Muncie, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
I just finished Criss Cross by Lynn Rae Perkins and must say, I am completely confused as to how this book won the Newbery. Similar to another review, I almost gave up half-way through, but thought, 'it's a Newbery winner, something's got to happen soon!' So I forged ahead...and nope, nothing happens.

I don't claim to know a lot about writing, but I enjoy reading and usually love the Newbery winners. But this was an unbelievable disappointment and can't believe I spent more than an hour trying to find meaning in the choppy text and heart in the surfacy plots.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, paper, ink, April 2, 2008
This review is from: Criss Cross (Paperback)
I am a 70 year old grandmother of 13, a retired elementary teacher, and lover of reading anything worthwhile and interesting, including books for children. Not having read children's books for a while, and with a local library recently opened, (I buy a lot of books, but did not want to buy more children's books now) I decided this would be a good time to read a few, and that a good place to start would be with Newbery Award winners. I love all of the Marguerite Henry books (especially Brighty of the Grand Canyon), and Charlotte's Web, A Tree for Peter, the Little House books, and many others.

Regarding Criss Cross, I agree with all of the specifics mentioned in the one star amazon reviews--lack of plot, fuzzy characters, no character development, etc. I also found other elements gratuitous (reference to sanitary napkins) and disgusting, especially the use of gutter language -- "sc___ the" on p. 78, "sure as H___" p. 145, "Sh__!" p. 199, "bus f____", p. 271, "a__" p. 245. The casual lying by Lenny to Debbie regarding parents in chapter 12 shows a disrespect for parents that could make the young reader think "everyone does it, it's ok, what does it matter?"

I wonder what other unpleasant surprises I'll run into as I, for the time being anyway, continue reading Newbery books. On the plus side, regarding the ones I have read, I thought the 2008 selection (Good Masters, Sweet Ladies) was worthwhile, but not the 2007 (Higher Power of Lucky) nor the 2005 (Kira-Kira) selections. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1972) was delightful--almost in a class with Stuart Little.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire the Newbery Committee, March 11, 2006
Andrea (Bowdoin, ME) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
Can I just say BOOOOOOORRRRRRINNNNNGGGGG. Never mind that Newbery books are supposed to be for middle schoolers, and the main characters are 14. What a horrible book. There is, simply put, no plot. Do the Newbery Committee actually think in terms of kids, or are they a bunch of artsy-f@rtsy stuffy librarians? I would not reccommend this book to anyone not in need of a good nap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Newberry Medal? Really? How?, June 9, 2006
This review is from: Criss Cross (Hardcover)
This book is kind of like a Seinfeld episode - but without the humor. It's about nothing, but the author takes 240 pages to tell you about it.

The book jacket claims this book is appropriate for children ages 10 and above, but I can't imagine that any 10 year old would enjoy reading about boring kids who just hang out, doing not much of anything. There's no action, no comedy - just long, drawn out drama. In other words, this book is very boring.

I thought Newberry winners were supposed to be the BEST book of the year. Unfortunately, this one doesn't fit the bill.

Don't waste your money. Buy something by Shannon Hale. She's the best new children's writer out there and deserves more attention.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Criss Cross
Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins (Library Binding - August 30, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01