Published 23 months ago by Maple Crimson

3.0 out of 5 stars Biased thinking
Published 23 months ago by Doug Erlandson

3.0 out of 5 stars Biased thinking, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
I have taught college-level logic and critical thinking classes for nearly twenty years. During that time I have had ample opportunity to use or peruse more than a dozen texts in the field. Moore and Parker's text falls somewhere in the middle when it comes to introductions to critical thinking and the rudiments of logic. All the basics are included (fallacies, deductive and inductive reasoning, identifying premises and conclusions in informal arguments, etc., etc.), and the authors do a decent job by way of explanation. The exercises at the back of the sections seem reasonably good as well. While by no means the best of the many available text, neither is it the worst. And its price at under $100 makes it more affordable than some and thus is a selling point. (That we even consider a text that is close to $100 as "affordable" speaks volumes about the spiraling cost of many college textbooks. I find myself apologizing almost every semester to my students for how much their textbooks cost.)

Having said this, let me note the overarching reason for not using this text. While Moore and Parker have made a valiant attempt to give real-life examples of faulty reasoning (particularly in their discussion of the fallacies), if one didn't know better, one would think that the only people who engage in suspect reasoning are people on the political right, religious conservatives, and critics of the liberal mindset. As far as I have been able to discern over an adult lifetime of more than four decades, bad reasoning is a province of people of all different perspectives. Real-life examples are great. But so is balance. Slanting one's presentation in this way is never excusable, particularly in a book on critical thinking presumably designed to help guard against such things.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not highly recomended, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
I have used this book in multiple sections of an introductory logic class I teach at my university. For all the praise it gets, it isn't that good, imho. I treats students like grade-schoolers, barraging them with unhelpful and trite pop cultural references. Or, it occasionally shoots over their head with political references that, unfortunately, American undergraduates are not likely to make sense of. Worst of all, it seems to consistently pick out persons from one side of the political spectrum for examples of bad thinking. It is either a testament to profoundly unacknowledged biases of the authors, or worse, covertly meant to produce non-rational persuasion(ironically, given the purpose of the book), leading the students to expect non-liberals to be stupid. Whatever your political views, it is unbalanced. There are foolish people on all sides of American political and social thought, though one wouldn't think so after using this book. If you want a thorough introduction to logic, Copi's volume is more authoritative. The Art of Reasoning, by David Kelly is a more streamlined and helpful book, with many good practice examples.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've used this book for a Logic & Critical thinking course, January 3, 2012
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
I have a mixture of opinions about this book.

Pros:
-There are *some* pretty good examples through the use of stories from real world events.
-The end of each chapter has a decent summary.
-Plethora of exercises as you go through the book.
-In short, decent explanations and readings.
-Accompanying free website with additional exercises/keywords/etc.

Cons:
-Despite some of the decent explanations, there are a handful of confusing segments.
-While there are many exercises, the answers aren't all in the back of the book. A rough estimate: for every ten exercises there are 2 answers in the back.
-The book has a few misspells.

In general, I think the book does an OK job. However, besides some of the confusing segments of the book, many of the exercises are questionable. My philosophy professor and classmates spent too much time in discussing what fallacies, rhetorical devices, etc were at use in the exercises - regarding the author's answers. The professor has disagreed with some of answers the book authors gave and also stated that some exercises included other errors not stated by them. I myself disagreed with a more than a few.

None of the exercises were used for grading purposes, but more for classroom participation. I'm highly upset that the book did NOT included all the answers! While the professor has chosen a select few exercises, all of them including the ones in the rest of book were not discussed. I am the type that if I spend my time doing exercises, I like to see the answer when I'm done. With the lack of answers, the book does not give you anyway to evaluate yourself. We didn't cover 3 chapters from this book in the course, but I continue to learn on my own (time permitting) about Critical Thinking. Again, no answers, which kills the book in my opinion. Now the book sits on my bookshelf as a reference, but not good for the majority of the exercises.

Personally, I think the book could have done a better job explaining somethings in more detail, like venn diagrams. In some discussions, things can also be a bit too dense with the authors getting involved. The book reading has some "rigidness" to it, not an overall "fun" way to engage the reader.

The amount of time discussing the authors answers, lack of answers, and being unclear in some segments sunk the book for me. The authors did take note in the preface that they aren't perfect in a sense and giving that this is a 10th edition, it makes it a work in progress for them. The book does a decent job in getting you through the basics. Oh, see that iPhone photo on the book cover? Logically, you will think there is an "app" for the iPhone as I did with such a deceptive photo. I found that there was a site you can pay money to access more. While it did say that an instructor can create courses for their students and enroll them, it did also state you can enroll independently to access study guides (website only). I paid $10 for 3 months access only to get a looping page that does nothing. They later told me that it was for instructors only so I linked them to their site depicting that I could enroll independently for guides. In short, they reimbursed me.

Would I buy future editions of this book? No. If you are taking critical thinking seriously, don't buy one book, but two or three on the topic. I compared another book to this one and prefer the other one. A more concise to the point fun engaging read. I've used various other sources to compliment my critical thinking progress. Best wishes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, but may not be best for absolute beginners, March 11, 2013
This is a unique book among critical thinking textbooks, as it is written in a style that is often conversational and humorous. The class I took used a different textbook ("A Practical Study of Argument" by Trudy Govier), and while I found all the concepts in it very meticulously-explained, students also complained that it was dry and repetitive. "Critical Thinking" by Moore and Parker avoids this problem by explaining concepts in a witty, concise manner and provides real-life examples, cartoons and illustrations (something the Govier textbook did not have) that help the reader engage critical thinking at a practical level. However, in some places the textbook explains difficult concepts a bit TOO concisely, so if you are a beginner in this subject with no other resources to help you, you might feel a bit lost at some parts, like in the symbolic logic section. If you are a scratch beginner, you may want to get a secondary textbook to accompany this one, although I would recommend a secondary textbook no matter which textbook you are using for class, for the fact that ALL textbooks have their own particular strengths and weaknesses.

Nonetheless, do not pass this book up for whatever reason, because its engagingness is one of a kind for a subject matter that many students would find dry and uninteresting. I would have gladly read this book for leisure had I not taken the critical thinking class.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't like critical thinking, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Kindle Edition)
I don't like it (the subject). The book did not do anything to make me like it. It is not the book's fault, just my own taste. Of course it is going to vary by class, but I was ok without the additional access card. Saved me a spot of money not getting it to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try and buy used., February 18, 2013
At over $100 for a new book is a lot for a college student.
Really good book. Authors do an amazing job at trying to teach you the subject. There are many real world examples that you can relate to. Lots of questions to attest your comprehension of the text.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for the used price, August 31, 2013
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
I bought this book used and it came in exactly on time. You can definitely tell it has be used and thrashed a little but for the price it was a great deal. I wouldn't buy this book new cause the prices are outrageous. So glad I found this used book on amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
I needed this book for class, and it's just what I needed. The style is actually kind of fun, so it makes for a good read. However, it reads more like a philosophy book than anything else, making me wonder if that was the point. Overall, not a bad book.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like how the textbook did arrive on the first day they estimated and i can tell the book really is new never used., January 17, 2014
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
i would have rated this product a 5 star but there is always room for improvement. i love how the textbook arrived so soon, i usually don't get them until the last estimated delivery date by other sellers. i liked that it was obviously new and never used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book For College?, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Critical Thinking (Paperback)
Yes, it is a good book and cheaper from actually college stores but it doesn't come with a code for the site to do your homework. If your teacher require the code for online homework I suggest buying the book in your book store.

Critical Thinking
Critical Thinking by Brooke Noel Moore (Paperback - 2012)
Used & New from: $50.00