5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER!!!
Published on August 24, 2000 by djsicili

Published on June 28, 2006 by Kevin C. Boyd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER!!!, August 24, 2000
"djsicili" (Newton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
Wow! Thats all I can muster after listening to this disk. What an awesome lineup! Frogwings definitley has the best assembley of musicians today: Derek Trucks; an unbelievible and innovative slide guitarist with unparralelled intensity and at 21 years old he has a lot more to offer (also member of the Allmans). Otiel Burbridge; one of the best bassists around today, he grooves like none other and can solo with the best of them, he give such a kick to the rhythm while hammering out some harmonicly beautiful stuff, just listen to him during the solos, he is right with them on every note, simply amazing (also with the Allmans). Kofi Burbridge, great keyboardist and excellent flute player, it must run in the family. Jon Popper; the famous frontman of Blues Traveler is the perfect vocalist for this band, his voice is so money and as far as his harp playing is concerned he is the best. Butch Trucks; the drummer for the Allman Brothers Band and mastermind behind Frogwings lays the beat down solid, he lives up to his nickname 'freight-train'. Mark Quiniones; percusionist for the Allman Brothers Band adds another dimension to the rock solid beats of Trucks. Jimmy Herring; I left Jimmy last for a reason. Now I could ramble on for hours about how good he is but I'll shorten this rant and just say that HE IS SO GOD DAMN NASTY IT MAKES ME SICK. He too is currently touring with the Allmans in place of Dickey Betts. Now if you don't like the Allmans it doesn't mean that you won't like Frogwings (although they share many members). The music is an intense mixture of Jazz and Blues with a distinct rock element that drives the songs alont. The three guitarist mesh really well and is complemented well by the double rhythm section. This CD is a selection of songs taken from a live show at the wetlands in New Jersey, they have never gone into the studio, its all live, a true testament to how nasty this band is. I think I have praised this CD enough so I leave it up to you to buy it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Project, November 1, 2000
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
This has to be one the best Cd`s to come out in a while. Formed by the drummer of the Allman Brothers as a side project to give him and his nephew Derek Trucks, slide guitarist for the ABB, an opportunity to play together outside the Brothers format,this is an incredible collection of jazz fusion.
Recruiting other Allman members Oteil Burbridge on bass, Jimmy Herring on guitar, and Marc Quinnoes on percussion, along with Kofi Burbridge {Oteil`s brother} on keyboards and flute, and the Blue Traveler himself John Popper on vocals and harmonica, this band lay`s down some blistering southern jams, blues, and improvisational jazz.
The set begins with a 14 minute jam Kick n Bach with features some blistering slide work by Derek and some pyschedelic jazz leads by Jimmy, showing why he was picked by the band to fill in for Dickey Betts on their last tour. And then there is the propulsive power by the bass and drums giving this a solid base to glide on. This song definetly become an oft covered classic.
Each progessive song takes on a life of it`s own. John Popper provides his usual deft harp playing and unmistakeable vocals. Some of the other particular stand outs are Eddie`s Got A Boyfriend, with some hot lead and slide duels, and Kofi`s real nice Hammond percolating underneath. Then there`s Ganja, again some great fret work complimenting J.P.s ode to the medicinal qualities of "herbs" and Pattern, with some excellent drum/percussion jamming. If you like your Southern Rock mixed with Blues and the Dixie Dregs, you`ll enjoy this. Sure to occupy a solid place in your player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Herring saves the day, December 4, 2000
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
Frogwings is a project I applaud - first rate musicians getting together and jamming, doing exactly what they love, and it shows. "Croakin' At Toads" is just that - a live recording of improvisational workouts - that mostly work.
Like another reviewer, I find John Popper's harmonica fits nicely when it's bluesy and rythmic. But when he goes for his forty notes-a-second high-register harp riffing, I find it's overkill and frankly, hard to listen to.
On the other hand, Jimmy Herring's guitar work is simply incredible, some of the best blues rock playing I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot). There are very few recorded moments I'm aware of that can compare to his solos on "Just One" and "Ganja". Those alone earn this disc 5 stars. In my view, Frogwings soar, and are at the very best when Jimmy cuts loose and takes the lead, with the rest of the band laying down a solid rythm (check out his fiery playing on Colonel Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit's live CD).
I also respect the fact that Frogwings released a CD that is way too honest and free-form to have any hope for air play or success in the charts. Thank you guys! How about playing a show up here in Seattle?

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing CD, but..., November 10, 2000
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
Let me start off by saying that this CD and this band is AMAZING. They really are the greatest muscians out there. The sound quality is also very good. I like the idea of the live CD being their first CD. I think they sould kepp it like that and not release anything from the studio. I think if you give Frogwings a few years of touring (without having to tour with ABB, DTB, Blue Traveler, and ARU) then we will the greatest record of all time. My only problem is Popper. He fits sometimes, and just doesn't others. On Hurdy Gurdy he fits. On Pattern, he doesn't. It's no surprise that the two best songs are the instrumentals (Eddie's got a Boyfreind is AWSOME). All the same, every jam band fan should have this CD. I'll be waiting for the next one by Frogwings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Frogwings!, February 13, 2001
Bryan F. Jackson (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
Talk about first rate musicians. I mean all these guys can play! The jamming on this album is superb and John Popper proves once again that he is a frontman capable of doing it all. His harmonica playing is inspired and Jimmy Herring plays like he is the best player in the world (he might be!) Oteil Burbridge is probably one of the best bass players alive and his playing is absolutely rockin! Same goes for Derek Trucks. The whole thing is just one big fat jam and it is well worth listening to.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice ensemble, February 20, 2004
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
With the blazing talents of Jimmy Herring, partnered with the soulful Derek Trucks blended with John Popper's unique harp style and the amazing Burbridge brothers not to mention the Allman brother's Butch Trucks and Mark Quionnes there are few lulls. It's intense and tight as well as melodic and funky. The reason I bought this one was because of this mix of savy professionals whose talents are often, and sadly, overlooked.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in places, but overall not as good as it could of have been, June 28, 2006
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
I remember the day I got the email alert from the ABB website announcing the formation of this band. As I read the line up I couldn't believe my eyes, just a few weeks before I had been having a conversation in which some friends and I were imagining the perfect band and I described a lineup almost exactly the same as Frogwings. The only difference between Frogwings and my fantasy band was that Jaimo was in my group and rather than Edwin McCain, the singer would of have been Col. Bruce Hampton.

But I could handle McCain and as tour dates were announced, I made plans to go to see them. Sadly time and money never allowed me to see the band with McCain, but I did manage to get some audience tapes that had terrible sound quality, but from what I could hear, the band was pretty good.

Later on when more tour dates were announced with John Popper replacing McCain, I was even more intrigued. Although I wasn't the biggest Blues Traveler fan in America, (I did like the second and third albums when they first came out, but the third and fourth ones turned me off and I haven`t given them another chance since), the addition of popper did open up some interesting possibilities. When the new group began touring the same thing happened again, but this time I was unable to get any audience tapes and thus remained ignorant of how the band sounded with Popper.

Then I heard that a CD was coming out and was pumped. Finally I would be able to listen to what a band that I had been trying to hear sounded like. I got this sucker the day it hit the store, tore into the package and threw it on. After listening to Kickin' Bach, which I liked, I skipped through the next song. Then I skipped through the song after that. Then I skipped through the next one as well, at this point, I was beginning to notice a startling trend. As much as I didn't want to admit it, the CD left me disappointed.

Not long after, I lost the CD and didn't make any effort to replace it. Derek Trucks new (at that time) CD had a studio version of Kickin' Bach on it and that was enough for me.

A few years later, six of them to be exact, a funny thing happened. I was driving down the road and the song "Pattern" from this CD came on the radio and to my surprise, I liked it. The same song that a few years before I had rejected had unexpectedly captured my delight. Against my better judgment, I ordered a used copy from here and when it arrived, I threw it on and once again I was disappointed. Subsequent listening has done little to change my mind, but I must admit that the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

I guess to sum things up, this CD is at worst a sub par effort given the talent assembled and at best an acquired taste. Not that it matters, but my friends that have heard it tend to agree with my assessment that it could of have been great, but is instead just barely good. We all agree that it's a bit to hectic and could have showcased the Burbridge brothers a little more.

I do wish though that they would give it another try, but with Col. Bruce replacing Popper.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME JAMMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, April 18, 2001
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
This is the best of the "new" jam bands out there. Frogwings carries on from where the Allman Brothers peaked with "At Fillmore East." Don't expect too much of Blues Traveler hyper jamming but you can bet on some blistering playing from Jimmy and Derek and some great drumming from Butch and Marc. Popper brings it to life with his wild harping and vocals. Oteil scats while playing bass and his brother Kofi, plays some ripping flute and Gregg Allman style organ whirling. I give this cd 6 out of 5 stars it's so good. Anybody who likes the brothers and or Gov't Mule will like this stuff too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Croaking and smoking, December 30, 2001
This is a really fun CD. Jimmy Herring and Derek Trucks
are amazing guitarists. John Popper is great.
Butch Trucks and Otiel lay down the groove.
If you dig bands like the Allman Brothers Band,
Aquarium Rescue Unit, Phil Lesh and Friends,
You know bands that smoke live. Then BUY
THIS CD!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of talent, March 22, 2001
David Carter (Washington, D.C. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Croakin at Toad's (Audio CD)
Have you ever seen one of those tribute concerts where they have an all-star jam at the end? It's never as good as you would think because there are too many people who are capable of carring a show all by themselves. That's sort of what this album reminds me of. Don't get me wrong. The talent and musical abilities of the artists involved are over the top. But I've heard each one sound better when they have more "space" to move around. Plus, John Popper's vocals don't always work. And I'm a big John Popper fan. As an alternative to Frogwings, check out "Out Of The Madness" by The Derek Trucks Band. The band gets help from Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes and is a much stronger collection. Ranging from delta blues to guitar fusion, it's a real treat. In addition to great vocal tracks, there are instrumentals tracks and plenty of hard-edged jams so pop fan beware. This album is for guitar nuts and displays the jaw dropping work of three of the most underrated and certainly unrecognized artists in music today.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Croakin at Toad's
Croakin at Toad's by Frogwings (Audio CD - 2000)