Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 6, 2010
As you know, there's a HUGE surge in crochet right now. Lots of gorgeous patterns have been showing up all over the place from Linda, Robyn Chachula, Amy O'Neil Houck, Julie Holetz, Marly Bird, and longtime designers like Dora Ohrenstein, Doris Chan, Lily Chin, Annie Modesitt, Teva Durham, and many many more. They're really using crochet in new ways and creating gorgeous garments and accessories.

Seeing all of the new things that crocheters are doing makes ME want to crochet, and I've dabbled. A little. Badly.

A book like Linda`s is the perfect resource for someone like me. I already design garments. I already know how to manipulate crochet stitches, I'm just not proficient enough to DESIGN in crochet. Crochet Adorned (Potter Craft, 2009) is full of ways to add a little crochet to another project. Whether that project is a design that I'm working on OR, as in many of the projects in the book, a pre-made dress, jacket, or pair of shoes.

What really makes this book stand out is the fact that all of the crochet instructions are presented in words AND charts. I'm visual. I can crochet from a chart much more easily than I can from a string of abbreviations (remember when you first learned to read patterns...you spend most of the time looking up definitions!)

There are tons of instructions for trims and photos showing how they can be used to decorate LOTS of different things. I like this because it really fuels my own imagination and helps me visualize ways that crochet can be used as an accent. There are also patterns for whole crochet objects, like pillows, table runners, trivets, and more. Linda includes an over-40-page index of stitch patterns for not only lacy trims, but for all-over patterns that could be used for garments, throws, and anything you could imagine.

So, I'm imagining that after working through a few of the add-ons, I might be able to crochet a whole THING!

I know that I will find myself referring to this book a LOT in the course of my own crafting, and definitely will be adding more crochet to my craft arsenal!
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2009
As a crocheter, I'm always on the lookout for books that highlight crochet to its best advantage. Crochet looks lovely when the lines are clean and the pattern is showcased with appropriate yarn. Kitchy crochet can be cute but an elegant, fresh trim applied to a hem, a sweater or a t-shirt can be even better. Crochet Adorned leaves the kitch behind and presents thoughtful projects that are perfect for crocheters of every skill level. The how-to information is solid, the stitch reference section in the back of the book is really handy, and the projects themselves are inspired. I love that the author used the "less is more" approach and judicious applied her crochet trims to provide just the right amount of bling for the buck. No gobs of grannies, piles of petals (the cover art is probably the most crochet intensive garment) - just good use of yarn, interesting stitches and a little needle and thread. Crochet chic can co-exist and Crochet Adorned proves that.
on September 14, 2009
After many years of crocheting, I didn't think I needed anymore books in my craft library. However, this book is irresistible for its luscious photographs that will inspire you to get your hook and re-evaluate your belongings. Crochet Adorned encourages reinventing what you already have, which is both green and trendy, while giving your pieces individual flair. The book also offers a plethora of stitches making it an excellent reference guide. So for a fresh perspective on an old friend, Crochet Adorned is a must have.
on April 16, 2011
The cover on this book drew me in. The flowers were kind of puffy and three dimensional while still being flat enough to wear on a garment. The book is divided in seven sections. The first section is about the basics, tools and materials needed, how-to for crochet, and some sewing information needed for some projects. I really like the clear directions for making a "magic ring" for the center of motifs. It's a great way to start a project and then pull in the center so there isn't a hole.

The next three sections show projects - Fashions, Accessories and Home There were some cute things that I would make mixed in with some things I would never make. Some things look like stuff my Grandmother would have made and I think that is intentional. It's kind of a retro style I'm seeing here. The butterfly apron is retro and cute. Althought, I don't know if I would wear it, the cover jacket just really appeals to me. I think I would use the colorful flowers, leaves etc. in a project that I wouldn't wear. I loved the little bird brooches and the medallion table mat (but not the colors on the mat). All of the motifs/patterns needed for each project are included in the project pages. That's nice and prevents alot of flipping back and forth.

The next section ((about 1/4 of the book) is a stitch dictionary with trims, motifs and stitch patterns. There are clear pictures, charts, written directions and one other thing I found very helpful. There is a stitch key by each pattern. This is nice because you don't have to flip the book back to large stitch key in another part of the book. There were some nice motifs and flowers especially. I tried a few out and the directions were excellent. I was able to reproduce the samples. I would say I'm an advanced beginner at crochet. The author encourages you to use your creativity and subsitute the motifs in the stitch dictionary in the projects to change them up.

The final two sections are Resources and an Index.

For me, this book is a good "jumping off" place. I don't know that I will copy the patterns because many of them just aren't my style and I'm not crazy about the color choices. But it really got me thinking in a more creative way. I love the motifs in the stitch dictionary and in the projects and I will definitely use them. If you are into the retro style, you'd probably love the projects.
on November 15, 2009
CROCHET ADORNED: REINVENT YOUR WARDROBE WITH CROCHETED ACCENTS, EMBELLISHMENTS AND TRIMS packs in some 20 patterns and 200 stitches to pair crochet with embellishing existing clothing. The emphasis on crocheted flowers, trim and other accents makes it easy to quickly dress up a dull sweater or article of clothing and offers all the basics including a complete stitch reference for beginners, making this a fine pick for any basic library.
on January 12, 2010
This is full of really fascinating projects. I bought it for my sister and I almost didn't give it to her because I wanted to keep it for myself. And I don't even know how to crochet.
on January 29, 2011
I love, love this book because it offers a wealth of beautiful crochet patterns. Not only that, Linda Permann gives crochet an interesting twist. She gives the warm weather dwellers, like us in the Southwest, excellent ideas to embellish summer dresses, plan shoes, cotton t-shirts and sweaters and other such items. This book is full of bright and inspiring photos as well as fresh new ideas!
on March 17, 2011
I will start off by saying that first and foremost, I am a knitter. But after seeing the craft of crochet explode over the past couple of years, I knew I had to learn it! Crochet Adorned was one of the first crochet books I purchased after learning (and becoming obsessed with) crochet. And to be honest, Linda (along with her blog) was a driving force in inspiring me to learn the craft.

As a beginner, I was able to crank out the Vintage Kitchen Trivet in just a couple of hours (of course, a more experienced crocheter could do so in less time). The written instructions are very clear and easy to follow and so are the charts/stitch diagrams. I actually learned to read and understand crochet charts because of this book.

There are 20 patterns in the book that fall into three categories: Fashion, Accessories, and Home. The ideas for incorporating crochet into garments you already own are ingenious. I kept saying to myself "Wow! I would've never thought to do that!" With just a little yarn and a little time you can turn any blah piece of clothing into something awesome (and one-of-a-kind!). The accessory patterns are great as well (crocheted earrings?! Yes please!) and the Home section has a pattern for a lace bowl that would dress up any table in the house. And most of the projects are very quick to make and would make great gifts!

Linda also dedicates several pages to helping guide the reader in the types of garments and fabrics to embellish (and what to avoid). She also explains how to attach your embellishments by hand or machine and proper care of the embellished garment. Very helpful information!

What I love best about this book (and why I think it's a must-have for anyone who crochets) is the stitch dictionary that spans the last 40+ pages. It starts out with 12 pages of crocheted trims that can be used to dress up anything from a t-shirt to a set of pillow cases. Following that is a "Motifs" section that consists of (beautiful) flowers and geometric shapes (squares, hexagons, and triangles). And it ends with 21 pages of crochet stitches and colorwork to inspire you.

So in addition to the awesome collection of patterns, I can definitely see this becoming a go-to resource for all of my crafty endeavors!
on August 22, 2009
Linda Permann's book is a great intro to beautiful crochet for all kinds of fun projects. This is the perfect book for the cold winter evenings and will have you doing great projects to adorn your environment. Highly recommend to all crafters.
on October 30, 2009
My depression area gradmother would approve of this book idea. And I love the idea of taking something old and making it new again. Especially in these more difficult economic times, wouldn't it be better to take that blouse that's been hanging in your closet for a few years and turning it into something new and unique, rather than buying a new blouse. For the cost of some yarn that's probably in your stash anyway. Even if you have to buy the yarn, the fraction of a skein you use would still cost less than the $60 for a new blouse or dress. I've already pulled out a few things in my closet that could use some re-styling with crochet.

The ONLY thing that I didn't like about the book was that they wasted space including stitch patterns more sutited to afghans and sweaters. More motif patterns would have been a better use of the space. I'd also have liked to have seen more patterns for altering and embellishing clothing instead of accessories like a headband or jewelery.

That being said, I still very much recommend this book to all who deftly wield a hook and yarn.