5.0 out of 5 stars Crochet Your Own Whimsical Garden
If you love crochet flowers (and who doesn't), Crochet Garden by Suzann Thompson is a must have.

A follow-up to Crochet Bouquet, Crochet Garden contains more whimsical designs and 3-demensional flowers, leaves, butterflies and forms. Some of my favorites are:

Published on May 26, 2012 by Tanis Galik

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but lacks well written instructions
Published 19 months ago by Anfal Al-Awadhi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Crochet Your Own Whimsical Garden, May 26, 2012
This review is from: Crochet Garden: Bunches of Flowers, Leaves, and Other Delights (Paperback)

I'm a fan of irises in my personal garden so I was really grabbed by these "full figure" irises, unlike any I've seen before. Midi and Maxi Mums are bold, striking flowers that would be a standout in any project. The Perspective Daisy has multi-layers of petals, popping right out at you. The Van Wyk Rose is an unusual rose interpretation and a definite eye catcher. The Samarkand Sunflower is a crazy, ameba-like creation. The Poinsettia is another multi-layered sensation. Then there is an adorable Pinecone, Curlicue Sprays and numerous international designs to add to your garden.

Ms. Thompson shows how to combine all your favorite flowers, leaves, butterflies, etc. into projects that have a fabulous "free-form" crochet look. I'm definitely crocheting some of my favorites to create a great purse!

Also included is a half-treble (htr) stitch to bridge the gap between the double crochet and the treble/triple crochet stitches.

And if all this isn't enough, Ms. Thompson has extended a personal invitation on page 17 for you to contact her AND join her monthly on a crochet-a-long at her book blog [...] where she'll walk you through the beautiful designs from this book for at least the next two years. You're also welcomed to visit her Ravelry group at Ravelry.com textilefusion as well. In short, you'll have plenty of help to crochet your own beautiful garden.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but lacks well written instructions, June 23, 2013
I like everything in this book except for one thing ,the instructions are not clear, the first project was fine but with the second and third projects I had to guess which was time consuming.I've been crocheting and knitting all my life following written instructions but this is the first time I encounter such a problem,even though I prefer following instructions but I think this book needs charts or more clearer instructions to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Delights, May 11, 2012
This book has it all. Even the Introduction and Basics sections were well thought out to offer some wonderful tips for making these flowers (and other crochet items too). Happily, they don't include typical 'how to crochet' instruction. The author opted not to include that, but instead put in some really useful ideas in this short section.

One of these ideas is the Circle Gauge. I love this. You don't have to make a big swatch for these items, just a little circle. The required size of this circle is listed at the beginning of every pattern. She also mentions Youtube as a great source for seeing how basic stitches are done. And then there's her Ravelry group, Facebook, and Yahoo. I like that it's very topical and keeping with the times. Wow, and that sweet idea about making a Flip book. There's more, but I better talk about the flowers!

There are 4 sections of flowers. They are: Botanical Garden (most realistic looking), Inspired Garden (more decorative such as folk artsy), International Garden (from other countries), and Fun and Fantastic Garden (example: Candy Cornflower). There are a total of 8 projects specifically for certain flowers, but there are many more ideas in the intro section. I love the Flower Cloth Scarf that uses a mixture of the flowers for a free form look. The patterns are visually appealing with detailed pictures in focus and close up. You will find some standard flowers, but many more unusual ones such as Mexican hat, Byzantine Beauty, Russian Picot Daisy, and Rafflesita. There are also some items such as a Peacock, a Pomegranate, and Butterflies. The main focus of the book is the flowers though. :-)

This is truly a lovely book and a worthwhile addition to anyone's crochet library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, January 27, 2013
I picked up this book at JoAnn's and I will be returning it. I am an advanced crocheter. I have made doilies. I've done filet crochet. I've made afghans and any number of other projects. That said, I practically had to rewrite the directions in this book. I attempted four different projects from this book. There were so many mistakes in the written directions that I had to keep referring to the photographs and counting stitches that way. Don't waste your money on this pretty, yet poorly executed, book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 13, 2014
I wasn't a very smart shopper when I bought this book even though I "looked inside." The flowers are a little crude looking and the instructions are written in an unconventional way making them unnecessarily confusing. I tried and failed at two patterns and will probably not try again. I thought this book would give me some new ideas but I can do better on my own. I have quite a bit of experience with flowers, amigurumi, snowflakes, etc., so I feel that my criticism is valid and not in any way frivolous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crochet Garden: Bunches of Flowers, Leaves, and Other Delights, May 28, 2012
Crochet Garden is a gem of a pattern book. I've never seen such lovely flower patterns!
The introduction part of the book is very helpful and discusses yarn variations, hooks, hardware, techniques and stitch how to's among a few other things. This book is filled with vibrant photos and just delightful to browse through in general. I was instantly inspired to grab my crochet hook and yarn and get to creating a few flowers myself.

Each time I turned a page, I found yet another pretty flower to crochet.
The book is divided into four chapters: Botanical Garden, Inspired Garden, International Garden and Fun and Fantastic Garden.

Begonias, Bluebells, Irises, Orchids, Edelweiss and Czech Festival Flowers are just a few of the many pretty flower patterns included here. Besides flowers, butterflies and different types of leaves and stems patterns are available for embellishment.

Ideas for what to do with your crocheted flowers are included as well.
I found the patterns easy to follow, they range from easy to intermediate and experienced. The directions are well written and there are photos on every page. The flowers I chose to crochet were easy to make.
I will be crocheting more flowers for certain. These would look great as embellishments on wearables like scarves and hats.

I also thought it was great that designer Suzann Thompson invites you to email her or visit her blog if you need help. She also invites you to join flower crochet-a-longs that she belongs to online.
Being an avid crocheter, I have joined several crochet-a-longs online, and they are always fun.

If you are looking for pretty crochet flower patterns, look no further than Crochet Garden: Bunches of Flowers, Leaves, and Other Delights.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, August 21, 2013
this book has lots of good patterns, however, the patterns are difficult to follow. If I was a novice crocheter I would not have been able to complete any of the flowers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selections, February 11, 2013
I love to crochet and like small projects that can enhance clothing, cards or jewelry. It gave me lots of ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful flowers!, May 29, 2012
Suzann Thompson, author of Crochet Bouquet, has released Crochet Garden, which I found to be filled with colorful and delightful handmade flowers. The author tells us that any kind of yarn can be used to create the flowers in the book, and that thick yarn will make a bulky flower, while thinner yarn will make a smaller, cuter one. The first section is based on familiar flowers, like the violets, dogwoods, orchids and more. The Inspired Garden section has flowers to crochet that have more of a decorative motif style look. And, in the International Garden area, there are lots of flowers from all over the world.

I really enjoyed seeing what flowers are special to different regions, like the European rose or the Russian spoke flower. In the last chapter the author shares fanciful ideas, my favorite was the Candy Cornflower, an inventive and fun idea where she crocheted single candy corn elements and then grouped them in a circle which made an adorable flower! I also appreciated how Crochet Garden has craft projects at the end of each chapter to show you ways to incorporate these beauties after they've been made.

5.0 out of 5 stars A craft lovers delight, May 29, 2012
Suzann Thompson's second book, Crochet Garden, is a delight for craft lovers of all skill levels. The book is divided into five sections, the first of which clearly explains the basic skills used throughout the book and gives absolute beginners information on where to find more resources to start their crochet adventures. The subsequent chapters walk the reader through Suzann's Botanical, International, Fun & Fantastic, and Inspired gardens, each with its own fun projects and clear instructions. Get your hook and yarn, don't forget to bring your own creativity, and enjoy as you make your own beautiful crocheted garden.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Crochet Garden: Bunches of Flowers, Leaves, and Other Delights
Crochet Garden: Bunches of Flowers, Leaves, and Other Delights by Suzann Thompson (Paperback - May 1, 2012)
$16.95 $11.80