Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.48 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 31, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have always loved looking through those 'One-Skein' knitting books. I usually crochet though and always wanted one for that instead. Now, here it is!

Particulars about the book:

1) All skill levels are covered, but most projects are geared more toward those who already know how to crochet, not someone just learning. With 101 projects though, there is something for everyone to make.
2) Like those one-skein knitting books, this one is broken down by yarn weight. Of course, this can be very helpful when you dive into your stash. :-) The side of the book's pages is color coded so you can find each yarn section quickly
3) First rate photos
4) The patterns are clear and the font is easy to read. Rounds are clearly labeled and helps are given for specific areas of each project.
5) Somewhat easily accessible yarn, but you may want to consider substituting. This is simple as yardage is given (not just weight.) Keep in mind though that a satisfactory finished product will depend on the coloration of the yarn.
6) Charts are included for motifs and some of the stitch patterns
7) A good variety of projects

Speaking of projects, here is how they break down:

Home items (9), Jewelry/accessories (7), Scarves (13), Cowls (7), Shawls/Cape (3), Adult Hats (7), Shrugs (2), Baby items (16), Stuffed Toys (7), Gloves/Mittens (6), other head items (6), Purses/Bags (10), other containers (3), Doll items (2), Belt (1), Hanky (1), Slippers (1)

So, as you can see, not just hats or scarves (yeah!). And the ones that ARE hats and scarves are pretty darn nice. The amount of yarn varies also, depending on its weight. Fine weight yarn usually comes in larger skeins anyway (some up to 500 yds or so) and some of these patterns call for one of those skeins, but that doesn't mean you will use all that yarn of course. I do wish there was at least one pattern for a summer top or vest. I know that would have been tough with only one skein, but that amount of yarn could complete a dishcloth or two. Small quibble and not enough to deduct a star though.

Something to note, the patterns do not state level of skill. But, just skimming through each one does help. A case in point, the Small Brown Bag with Beads looks easy, but upon reading the 'Pattern Essentials', you find it does use a beaded chain stitch, a tight picot-e stitch, and a beaded tight picot-3 stitch.

This book is well planned and executed with the knowledge gained from the others in this series. I appreciate the approach since crocheting something with just one skein of yarn can be a challenge. All in all, a very worthwhile book of 101 crochet patterns.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2013
Format: Paperback
Full Disclosure: I received a digital advanced reader's copy of this book for reviewing purposes.

I have but one complaint about this book: where are the difficulty guides?

This book is full of great projects, and as it says, they truly are projects from around the world--particularly, it features several amigurumi projects and several projects that feature Tunisian crochet. Variety is certainly not lacking here--there are plenty of hat and scarf patterns, as part of the typical crochet fare (especially as you would expect for a book that focuses on one-skein projects)--but there are also pillows, jewelry, stuffed animals, baby clothes, and some neat projects like a water bottle holder, yoga mat bag, and e-reader holder. And the authors have kindly added visual patterns as well as the usual scripted patterns for those who have difficulty following along with crochet patterns--they've thought of almost everything.

I tried my hand at a few projects, which is part of the reason this review has taken so long to come to light. One of the first I tried was one of the fingerless gloves. My hands are always freezing when I'm typing, so these were great. I wasn't entirely sure that it was going to work when I was crocheting them, but they turned out.

I decided that I would try a few other projects out of the book as well. The book is divided up into yarn weights, and I have a supply of worsted-weight yarn that makes my husband groan every time he sees it, so I thought I would try working with some of those projects, which was where I came straight into my complaint about this book.

I am not a novice crocheter. I have made afghans and pillows, come up with my own amigurumi patterns, and to be honest, if Fox hadn't started sending cease and desist letters to Etsy shop owners who were selling versions of the Firefly 'Jayne' hat, I could churn those out without a problem.

Yet there are some real problems here with the fact that there aren't any clues on how difficult patterns are for crocheters. Most of these patterns are for intermediate to expert crocheters, and even then, some might have problems, and I've wondered if there aren't any difficulty ratings because too many patterns would have a four or five out of five difficulty on them.

Still, for someone who's crocheted a long time and is looking for some variety, this book is a great resource. A.
Format: Paperback
Crochet One-Skein Wonders fits in with this great series very well.

Edited by Judith Durant and Edie Eckman, it's a collection of projects by different designers that can be done with one skein of yarn or less. There are over 100 patterns in here, in sections divided by yarn types. The vast range of projects at several different skill levels ensures that there is something for everyone . If you are a beginning crocheter, this will be a book that can grow with your skills.

Because crochet uses so much yarn, most of the patterns are for accessories, with some housewares, toys and clothing to mix it up. The patterns are done in both American style written instructions and in international crochet notation. Each pattern starts by explaining what special stitches or techniques you might need to know so you'll know if it's going to be really easy for you make, challenging or "I'll get back to this project when I'm a lot better."

If you see a skein you want but have no idea what to do with it, this book has you covered. Super fine cotton threads, lace weight wools, bulky hand dyed wools and the weights in between.

My favorite projects are:
Susan Levin's Bangle Bracelets made with sock yarn.
Melody Fulone's V-stitched Elegant Fingerless Gloves
Sarah Grieve's Bellisfaire Beanie which is a lightweight hat perfect for fashion or cool spring or fall evenings.
Brenda K.B. Anderson's Maywood Purse is felted and embellished, and looks great.
Renee Rodgers' Handpainted Shoulder Bag uses an easy stitch technique and a bulky yarn for a quick to stitch purse that's simple, but still artistic looking.

There are actually a lot of patterns I like in here. Stuffed animals for everyone who likes them, hats, dresses and other things for babies and small children, a tea cozy and other housewares. If you love crocheting, this is full of one skein gift ideas.

The end of the book has an introduction to the designers, a good index, and illustrated crochet stitches for beginners. It also includes a chart of yarn weights and a glossary of crochet terms.

I do recommend this book, and plan to share it with my sister who just recently learned how to crochet.
[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. I received no other compensation, and my review is my honest opinion of the product.]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
There are projects in here for everyone on your crocheting list, and they are interesting projects. What impressed me most was the fact that most of these yarns are easily found. Very clear directions are given in both chart and written forms. If you have a child who loves American Girl dolls, the two outfits here are cute. Too bad my nieces are older, but they would love the many bags, hats, scarves, and mitts. Some of my must make projects are the Switchback Scarf, Astra Gloves, and the Bohemian Necklaces. A nice book to add to your crocheting library.
on January 20, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Disappointed. Tried a few projects and continue to run into issues with the patterns. It's as if no one actually tried to use the patterns before publishing. A scarf sized so small that it might fit my 4 year old, a hat that calls for 50 rows for a border, stitch counts that don't match the pattern....glad I bought the Kindle version so I didn't waste money.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I love this book! As the title states, all the projects are one skein each. It's a great way to use up that one leftover from another project.

The book is organized by yarn weight, which I find very helpful. Have a bulky skein? A skein of medium-weight wool? It's easy to find something to make out of it here. Another detail I find useful is that each section is color-coded so you don't have to bookmark. There's a great variety of patterns in the book - apparel, accessories, animals, home decor, baby clothes and a few for felting wool. I'd definitely recommend it - in fact, my mother-in-law wants a copy! :)
Format: Paperback
I bought the book yesterday at Barnes and Noble (sorry, Amazon - I'm just not good with delayed gratification!)
One skein - that covers a lot of territory - and I did have to giggle when I saw a one-skein project (75 yards) right next to a one-skein project (1020 yards) in the medium-weight yarn section.
That said, I really liked the book. I went through and annotated the table of contents, adding yardage for every project taken from the project notes. I also annotated the projects that used affordable big-box store yarn stock. There were quite a few affordable projects, and this was a pleasant surprise. I'd become weary of project books that I took to be mere eye-candy informercials for manufacturers of very expensive yarns.
I'd love to have seen skill ratings for each project, but I'm an avid knitter and crocheter and I'm experienced enough to be able to make an educated guess for the projects that attracted me.
I'd love to see a book of small projects with these qualifications:
1. By yarn weight category AND yardage, listed that way in table of contents. I'm so glad that this 1-skein book did NOT list yarns only by weight per skein, but included yardages. That, for me and many others, is really the crucial information -particularly in the US, where most of us have yet to go metric.
2. Use only affordable big-box yarns. It's pretty easy to go to the sites for JoAnn and Michael's and Hobby Lobby and make a note of their yarn inventory, then design projects for those yarns.
3. Skill ratings.
I give this book a thumbs-up! I hope there will be a sequel. If it is a sequel containing ONLY projects made with affordable big-box yarn, I'll be first in line to buy several copies.
on April 15, 2013
Format: Paperback
We all love craft books that give us lots and lots of patterns to try. These one-skein project books are great for that. You will be presented with - blankets, gloves, hats, scarfs, baby sweaters, etc. So much to play with and so much fun.

Don't let the "one-skein" title fool you into thinking these are easy projects. I found most of them to need moderate skill. Beginners will need assistance with these projects and many will be too difficult. There is a great stitch reference section at the very back.

Is it time for crafters to consider buying ebook versions of these pattern books? You can skim through them quickly and best of all, increase the image of a particular pattern. Bump it up to see the intricate sections. Those of us with older eyes will find this particularly helpful. Your iPad lays flat so there is no need to prop open the book. One drawback would be - the screen will go dark on you. But you can change the settings on your device for it to stay on longer.

Take a peek at the video I created. Note that this was taken of an advance review copy of the ebook and is being viewed on an iPad - not a Kindle Fire. (Thank you NetGalley and the Publisher) Your purchased copy may be slightly different.

Lots of ideas in this book. Give it a try in ebook or paper version.

Edited to add a note from the publisher:

"Hi, this is Dan from Storey, the publisher of Crochet One-Skein Wonders. Thanks for posting this video! I should let everyone know that the Kindle edition looks a bit different from what's shown here. It's still a great-looking, easy-to-use edition, but not exactly the same as the video. In the Kindle version, you'll get all the content in a single column, and the fonts and layout have changed (each Kindle reader will look a bit different), but the benefits you mention still apply: The photos and diagrams are crisp, colorful (if you have a color Kindle!), and zoom-able... and the edition always lays flat! :) We put extra effort toward making this formatting of this edition beautiful and clear, and I hope you like it as much as we do. If anyone has any questions about the Kindle edition of Crochet One-Skein Wonders, please contact me directly at devices [at] storey [dot] com or just download a sample for yourself. Thanks @JAScribbles!"

Thank you, Dan.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I'm not crazy about this book. Many of the items are repeated throughout the book: there are at least 4 patterns for hand warmers/fingerless gloves. Other than that, there are many patterns that use yarns with (what I consider to be) strange weights: lace weight, very fine weight, etc. Finally, their "one-skein" designation hampers their ability to accurately design some items. I made a very beautiful scarf... that was 2 1/2 feet long. Because they were attempting to make it use only one skein, the pattern was really useless. I bought a second skein and finished the scarf. After that experience, I don't fully trust the rest of their patterns. :-/
on May 5, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
It meet my need. I have actually made one hat. My goal is to rekendle my love for crocheting.
In as much this is done in my spare time, I needed some simple patterns. This book is good for me.