Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A to Z of Crochet: The Ultimate Guide for the Beginner to Advanced Crocheter
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon November 4, 2010
I have been crocheting since I was in my 20's which means for the past 40 years! Give me a crochet pattern and I'm a happy camper so when I saw A TO Z OF CROCHET, I was in heaven. All the stitches you can think of in one place. No more hunting for the directions for a particular stitch pattern.

Better yet, as I began reading the book, I was reminded of Broomstick Lace. I could remember making it as a young mother but couldn't remember how other than I needed a crochet hook and a VERY large "broomstick" (or in today's world - a large knitting needle). I looked through the table of contents immediately and there was the needed reminder I was looking for to make the lace. While it isn't really lace in the sense of being delicate, it is really a beautiful pattern.

Anyway, the book contains information on types of yarns, hooks, gauge, how to read patterns and charts and other equipment you might need. The next section is all about getting started - how to hold the yarn and hook and beginning, ending and joining yarn.

Next comes a section full of various types of crochet stitches and more stitches and MORE stitches. If you want to make it in crochet, you should be able to find the stitch there. The next section is where I found the Broomstick Lace pattern and the Entrelac pattern, yet another I had forgotten about over the years.

The final two sections are about adding embellishments and the final joining and blocking of pieces. One last feature of the book is that the front and back covers each have a "bookmark" flap which is very useful when you can finish a project in one sitting.
\
22 comments|264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2012
First off, this book is not intended as a pattern book. It doesn't teach you how to read patterns nor does it include patterns. What this does instead is show you how to do a ton of stitches whether you know the basics or are just picking up crochet for the first time.

Want to learn how to crochet in the round? Fun edges for your scarves or blankets? How to change colors mid-crochet? How to weave in your ends? How to make your rows wavy or curvy? Add extra texture to your work? How about adding in beads and sequins? Or making buttons and button-holes? How to make cords? What about just wanting to know how to pick the right yarn and hooks? This book is for you!

If you're brand new to crochet, the first couple chapters are all about crochet hooks sizes, yarn styles and sizes, gauge of crochet, how to hold the yarn, and the basic beginner steps to crochet such as how to start, chain stitch, slip stitch, tying off.

If you already know how and just want to expand your repertoire then there are dozens upon dozens of stitches, tricks, techniques, and styles to increase your knowledge.

I bought this a while ago and frequently use it as a reference guide. I made a scarf for someone once and it was going to be one color, so I used this book to make wavy rows so it looked more interesting. I was going to crochet in the round and this book helped me figure it out. Every time I've wanted to try a fun new stitch, this book was there for me to figure it out and make my work beautiful.

This is an indispensable book that should be a part of any crocheters collection!
22 comments|171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2011
I purchased this book because of the reviews and I am NOT
disappointed at all.
This is a GREAT reference book for anyone who crochets.
I have used it a number of times since I received it.
The instructions are VERY helpful, and with photos too.
Beginners or experienced people that crochet will be happy to have this reference book in their craft library.
And the shipping for this book was very fast.
on October 30, 2011
This is a great reference book for crocheters. While I dabble in crochet occasionally, I'm no expert, but with this book I could definitely become one. I liked the clear instructions as well as the detailed photos of each step in the process. This book includes beginning crochet stitches and information about hooks, yarn and gauge as well as more advance techniques, such as tubular and hairpin crochet. Instructions are given for making buttonholes and edgings and finishing information is provided as well.
If you only purchase one reference book about crochet, this should be it.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
This has got to be one of my most favorite books. Why? Because you don't just read it cover to cover and walk away from it. It is useful, it is a resource, and I find myself referring to it time and time again. You see, I am a crocheter, but I don't crochet constantly so I forget stitches. A to Z Crochet is a great tool to remind me how to do a certain stitch. The pictures are helpful and show progressive steps. If there is more than one way to do something, you can bet it is explained. This book is offered in both a softcover (which I have) and a hard cover from Martingale & Company. [link] Not surprising, this is one of their best sellers!
on September 17, 2010
Crocheters at all levels will find appealing A TO Z OF CROCHET; THE ULTIMATE GUIDE FOR THE BEGINNER TO ADVANCED CROCHETER. Small step-by-step photos illustrate each piece of the crochet move and the close-up photos do wonders for learning each crochet piece. Any general needlework collection needs this!
on April 14, 2013
Needless to say, with 50+ years behind me, I've seen my share of crocheting books and I've got a few 'pet peeves' about them.
1. EVERY book has basic stitches, even the so called ADVANCED. If you're advanced you don't need basic stitches.
2. Every book has patterns. NOT needed in books for advanced DESIGNERS. We design the patterns and are only interested in the new or different stitches.

I know, this sounds very selfish, but please. there are books for beginners and I strongly encourage anyone who has not started learning this craft to please give it a try. I give free lessons to anyone who will sit with me for at least an hour.

This book is phenomenal. Yes, it has the basic stitches, but so few pages are devoted, I forgive it. It also has patterns, 2 maybe 3.....Everything else is devoted to stitch patterns that are NOT basic, well known, or in every book already out there. Like I said, 50+ years and I still found this book full of stitch patterns I did not know. My mind is reeling with new designs. The grandkids and great grandkids are all in for new wardrobes.

I wish I could give this book 10 ********* Stars.
on December 13, 2011
This is a really handy book, since it is full of stitches and step-by-step photographs of how to complete them. Starts with the very basic and goes to fastening buttons and sewing in sequence. There is no pattern included in the book, and it does not really teach you how to read a pattern. If you are a beginner you may want another book to accompany this one.
on April 4, 2013
This is most certainly not for beginners. Between the confusing descriptions and the photoshopped images showing things that are not possible (for example wool wrapped in two directions around fingers at the same time) it will likely make any novice's head explode. However, for a more experienced crocheter there is plenty in here to keep them amused, as long as they don't look too closely at the pictures!
on January 17, 2014
This book is mostly a guide of stitch types, and it does list a lot of stitches with pics. However, I was looking for help with the most basic stuff-like how to count rows, how to fix mess-ups, etc.