Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crocheting on the Edge: Ribs & Bobbles*Ruffles*Flora*Fringes*Points & Scallops
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon July 20, 2008
You can be sure that any book by Nicky Epstein is a good one, and this is one is good. Crocheters mostly use borders for trimming afghans, but many of the innovative ones here are perfect for embellishing clothing.

The frontispiece photo is of a gorgeous small afghan that is a true crochet tour de force -- but it is made up of a large variety of spectacular motifs and medallions and has little to do with borders. Once again the publisher has followed its policy of "don't tell the customer what is in the book" because the cover doesn't let you know tht you get not only borders but instructions for some wonderful garments, Many people now buy books on line and don't have an opportunity to see a contents page or glance through to see what's inside.

The book begins with one border which is photographed worked in many different types, textures and weights of yarn, which is a great graphic demonstration of how yarn choice changes the look of a pattern.

I think one of the author's intents is to show knitters how to use crocheted borders on knitted projects, so the next section is four pages of kntted squares, each edged with a different crocheted border. This too is a great idea, except that the borders were mostly worked onto the knitting in such a way that they distort the
shape of the knitted pieces. This might discourage some knitters from even trying to add a crocheted border.
There is a way to avoid distortion, but no help in doing this is provided.

Then the section on borders begins -- and not only are there written instructions, but complete symbol diagrams for each one. Thank you, thank you! The section starts with the most uninteresting borders,
but don't get discouraged: they get better as you go along. THe designs range from frilly to fun to elaborate to simple-but-lovely.

The garment patterns are near the end of the book. They are all crocheted, but the patterns are written in the typical knitting pattern style (tell them as little as possible) instead of the more expansive and detailed style crocheters are accustomed to. But with symbol diagrams also provided, most crocheters will
manage.

Unless the knitter or crocheter who uses this book is very experienced, they may run into trouble. Little help is given for how to work stitches such as reverse single crochet, a technique which gives many crocheters a lot of trouble. When this is called for in a pattern, there is just a cryptic note saying "see page TK". This page was referenced for technical help a couple of times,but I could find no page TK. Maybe it's just my bad eyesight!

On page 195 is a section headed TECHNIQUES where I assumed to find crochet technique help, but all that was there was how to make lazy daisy and French knot embroidery stitches. At least one border is done in Tunisian crochet, so you better already know how to do it if you want to make that border.

If you are not an experienced crocheter, better brush up on your skills before you add this beautiful book to
your library. And don't give it to your favorite knitter for Christmas unless you know she crochets!
44 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2008
I bought this book today at Michael's (with a 40% off coupon of course!), and just had to write a review about it. I just love it......so far. I own at least 4-5 other crochet edging books, but this is certainly the most creative out of the bunch. I especially like the "flora" section where there are numerous edgings with flowers, leaves, etc...that you just do not see anywhere else. There are some typical, or as the author puts it "classic" edgings in here that you will find in other books, but for the most part the edgings are pretty original. This book also features 9 original patterns created for this book, although I cannot say that I will make any of them becuase they are not my personal style (two jackets, a vest, two capelets, a scarf, a "hatband/bracelet", a t-shirt with an edgining, and a "medallion medly" (which looks sort of like a freeform style small lapghan) it was an unexpected surprise to find them at the back of this book.

I would like to mention that there is not a "how to" section in this book. While this is not a problem for me, for those of you out there new to crochet, or for Nicky's knitting fans, who just have to have all of her books, if you do not know how to crochet, make sure you pick up a book on how to crochet along with this book. Because unlike many crochet books which will at the very least contain some illustrations in a "refresher course" type section, to remind you of how to do crochet stitches, this book does not have that. She does however, provide a small explanation of special stitches at the beginning of patterns that use them (i.e. the popcorn stitch, etc.....). There is a photograph of a swatch as well as a chart for each pattern, which I really like. The symbols can be really helpful at times.

I would also like to say that having just purchased this book today, I cannot comment on how the directions are written, or if there are any errors. A lot of customers who reviewed her crocheted flowers book (which I do not own), complained that her directions are not well written. I cannot comment on this, so take this review for what it is....someone who has looked through this book several times, but has not made any projects from it.

My only "complaint" at this point is not the fault of the author, or even the publisher, but rather whomever printed this book. When I got home to go through this book I found that pages 49-59 are pretty messed up. They all have significant creasing, and ink spots, and places where the text is quite blurred. It looks as if there was a mess up during the printing process, so alas, I will be going back to Michael's to exchange this book for another (hopefully better) copy. Whatever company actually printed this book should have better quality control, especially for the $30 price tag of this book!

But so far, just from looking at all the unique edgings in here, I am really quite impressed with this book, and cannot wait to add an edgining to something.....anything!
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2008
I heard a lot about Nicky Epstein and her great knit books. So I really was happy to hear she had come out with a crochet book.
First off, this book is _not_ for beginners. This is a book for experienced crocheters. That's not a big deal to me, but it may be for some people. You might want to look at this book for inspiration, if you're a beginner but you might get frustrated by the directions.
Second thing is there's nothing that really "pops out" to me. Usually I'll look at a crochet book and think "ahh, that's the project I _must_ do next" while I'm trying to figure out what to juggle to move that particular project to the top of my list. While the edgings were pretty and interesting, there was nothing I was dying to make. Technically, they look great, but the patterns just left me cold.
It is a good book to look at, well photographed, and I'm thinking that maybe it will come in handy for some other project. After all, it is about edgings and you would need the proper item to make sure the edgings worked well.
So my advice is if you got the bucks and want to browse, this could be a good book for you. If you're a beginner, you will not want to start with this books - there's a tip section but it doesn't touch on any crochet tips. I'd suggest either The Complete Book of Crochet Border Designs: Hundreds of Classic & Original Patterns or 150 Crochet Trims: Designs for Beautiful Decorative Edgings, from Lacy Borders to Bobbles, Braids, and Fringes as a more satisfying look at crochet edgings.
on September 26, 2009
I don't know how I crocheted for years without this book...well, I do...I had ugly edges to things like throws, blankets, and shawls! I just finished a shawl where the top edge now has a very beautiful scallop edge, that was absolutely a piece of cake to make and looks so very elegant! Since this is on the edge that ends up across the front, it makes a huge difference in the first impression of the shawl.

What is impressive about this book, besides the gorgeous layout and photos, the wonderful instructions, and the great binding, is the incredible array of borders. How Epstein dreamed up or found some of these totally amazes me. The level of complexity is great for any crocheter- the beginner can find easy but beautiful edges like my scallop, that was also quick to do. The intermediate and advanced crocheter will find edges that will delight, inspire, and amaze them and dress up their crochet to be works of art!

Thank you to Epstein, you have helped bring crochet up several notches in elegance and artistry!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 17, 2008
How to finish it off? Sometimes plain is good. Other times, your garment or throw or whatever needs a little decoration to look right, but where to find the right pattern for an edging?

Your problem is solved in Nicky Epstein's latest "Edge" book. No more standing at a shelf of pattern books looking for something a bit different, because you'll have more than enough choices (over 200) in this beautiful book.

Those of you familiar with the Epstein's knitting "edge" books will recognize the book's organization right off. Borders are categorized by type (ribs, ruffles, florals, fringes and points) and color coded for each type. Many of the edges or borders will be familiar to knitters because they are similar in finished appearance, but plenty are new and quite distinctive.

I can hardly wait to finish the knitting project I've got going now and get started on some crochet projects. Let's see - we could use new placemats; I'd like a new jacket and a dressy sweater, any of which can be made into a one-of-a kind item by adding an unusual border.

What a treat! What a lovely gift for the knitters and crochet fiends on your list. I'd say "get this one." A gorgeous book, packed full of creative ideas and patterns. You can't miss!

Five stars!
on September 23, 2011
I am an unabashed crochet book-aholic! Usually I scan through a new crochet book purchase, and I mutter a few "nice" or a "kinda neat" comments, but most often it's a "seen it already..." This book took my breath away!

From the large, lovely photos, to the user friendly layout, to the patterns themselves, this book is a knock-out! It can easily serve as a coffee-table book!

One of the first things that I found new and helpful was a spread at the beginning of the book that used one pattern in about 10 different yarn weights (all of the same color.) In addition to the various edging patterns, there are a few for wearable items too, including a breath-taking motif poncho.

This is now my favorite crochet book, and I've only looked through it once! In fact, for the first time, I have a book that makes me want to try every single pattern in a it!
on August 9, 2010
A group of ladies that I meet with every Monday knit baby sweaters to donate to various charities. The top down baby sweater that I was working on had a rib bottom but it was drab! After purchasing "Crocheting on the Edge by Nicky Epstein," I turned this drab sweater into a fabulous baby sweater by turning a plain rib into a crocheted single layer scallop trim (p.154). The pictures and instructions are very clear so whether you are a beginner or advanced crocheter, you'll love the unlimited designs that will inspire the completion of your garment. Whether you are a knitter or a crocheter, this book belongs on your book shelf.
on December 3, 2011
If you are looking for a book to challenge you, then this is the one. It contains a wide variety of stitches to try and I'm sure you'll be inspired to combine a few of them to make up your own crochet edge or trim.

Unfortunately my skills are just a step above a beginner and I found most of them too difficult. That didn't stop me from trying at least ten or from paging through the book for hours.

What I liked about the book:
1. The patterns are well laid out and the diagrams clear
2. The hardcover version of this book lies flat so you can view it hands free
3. People who like to use very small hooks and thread will find many wonderful patterns to try. I actually think it is better for this over yarn and larger hooks.

This book would make a nice gift for the crafter in your family.
on November 10, 2008
Besides great ideas for crocheted edging and an excellent format I was surprised to see several complete patterns for garments that I actually liked. Overall, a beautiful book.
on October 7, 2012
OK so this book isn't for the beginner but if you are looking for ways to add some real excitement to your crocheted items this book is it! The borders in here are a blast to do and I love the texture and depth they give a finished project. So much fun! I highly recommend this for those into wearable art.