4.0 out of 5 stars perfect size and price.
Published on March 17, 2008 by love to cook

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks hot, cooks hotter!
I loved the look of this crock pot. When I opened it, though, I saw that the stoneware insert is a different color red than the pot. The pot is blazing red and the stoneware is sort of mauve-ish. That's not as important as the function, however.

Published on December 3, 2007 by Karen D.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks hot, cooks hotter!, December 3, 2007
Karen D. (Reno, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot

OK, I turned it on high to get started, and it absolutely BOILED. I turned it down to low and it STILL BOILED!! I will never be able to go away for the day and leave it cooking, and that was the purpose of having a crock pot.

I am disappointed, I must say. I have never had a crock pot and I thought Rival, being the original, would be the best. Perhaps the others are better.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give a zero rating, December 3, 2007
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot
I love cooking with my crockpot. I bought this one last Christmas to replace my old one. BIG MISTAKE. The first problem is, like a previous review stated, it cooks too hot too fast. You can't put a meal in it in the morning and leave it there until the evening or it will be burned to a crisp. I never use the high setting either because it's too hot. Second, the ceramic insert had a flaw that caused it to leak. Every time I cooked with it, I ended up having to scrape incinerated food out of the metal base afterward. Third, the plastic handles (on the top and side) all broke. This thing isn't even a year old yet and it's completely useless. My advice is spend a little extra money and get something nicer. If you don't you're just going to have to replace it soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Low" setting is too hot, November 19, 2007
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot
I've had this crock pot for a year and attempted to make about 40 dishes with it. The problem I consistently have is that it cooks too hot and too fast on the "low" setting. I've never used the "high" setting. In the beginning I thought it was me and that I wasn't using it properly, so I kept trying. But still, every meat item was terribly overdone and dry. Vegetables turn into complete mush. Whenever I made stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls they looked beautiful, but I was unable to take them out of the crock pot because when I used the tongs they totally fell apart. I found out that 6-8 hours was way too long and that 3-4 was about perfect. So I started going home during my lunch break and turning it on at that time (instead of in the morning) and that usually works pretty well.

I don't know if I have a defective unit or not. No one else I know has this particular model so I can't talk to them. I want to get a new one but I'm hesitant to get a Rival. I don't know if this is a widespread problem but it is what happened with mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect size and price., March 17, 2008
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot
We bought 6 qt programmable one , it looked awsome, but was huge on the counter, and for us, so I bought this from walmart for 14$ with carrier , I enjoyed using it, make enough food for 2 people for 2 days or more. cooked everything on high for 4h and it was done. my intake on it is that when it reach a boiling points it spells, so don't fill it to the edge. also I wish this size comes programmable. cleaning was easy, easy to carry.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, January 25, 2008
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot
I haven't had any problems with mine cooking too hot like the other reviewers. It works normally and I have cooked some very tender meat in it. I just wish it came with a carrying case. I also wish they made this size in the programmable version, the SmartPot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Hot to Handle, February 22, 2008
Angel Face (Benicia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot
I thought I was doing something wrong. Everything I cooked came out dry and overdone. What a relief to read so many others had the same experience. Thank goodness I never used it for a "company" meal. My 25 year old little crock pot works perfectly, it was just a bit small for our family, but I'll be using it again and try deep frying in my Rival...

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Hot - get a different small slow cooker, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Crock-Pot 4-qt. Oval Crock-Pot
Recently ordered this 4 qt crock pot since our larger one was too big for us now. I have loved crock pots for 30+years so I was sticking with the brand I knew and trusted. MISTAKE! When I noticed that the first small one I bought did not have a 'warm' button I returned it and ordered this one. It is always TOO HOT on the OUTSIDE of the cooker if it is on at all. I am so surprised that Crock Pot sells this. Where is their quality control? Even on 'medium' you can burn yourself if you touch the outside of this cooker. My advice is "find a different brand" for this size. I will for sure!