4.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad - fortunately no ugly!
Published on October 22, 2001 by C. Douglass

2.0 out of 5 stars Returning to Store
We recently purchased the smart-pot to replace our previous Rival crockpot that finally blew up after years of hard use. We were excited about the new "programmable" features. It's true that the lid doesn't quite fit right. It's too small. I'm not sure this is critical though.
Published on November 24, 2001 by Melanie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad - fortunately no ugly!, October 22, 2001
C. Douglass (Cary, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot 3860-BC 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, White (Kitchen)
This is a great size for a family, and all in all, I love this thing and use it frequently. I would buy it again if I had to replace the one I'm using now, BUT: As previous writers have stated, the glass lid does not fit correctly. It's too small or something, almost like Rival had a gross of extra lids from another crock pot and decided to stick them on this product. It will completely close if you pay attention to how you put it on, but if you've got one of the kids stirring for you, or hubby taste testing, forget about it getting put back on right! Also, "programmable" is rather misleading. What you can do is select whether you want to cook your meal for 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours. You are not able to pick 5 hours, nor are you able to set it up to cook on high for four hours, then switch to low. It WILL switch to a warming mode after the selected time is up, though, rather than dry out the food, which is a feature I like. All in all a good, solid product, but I'm hoping that Rival is reading this and will make modifications for future models. HINT, HINT, HINT, Rival!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Breeze!!, January 3, 2002
Cindy Coffin (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This was the first crock-pot I purchased (I now have a second one that is smaller for side dishes and deserts), and I have to say that using this model is really a breeze. I have read some of the remarks that others have left about the lid not fitting tightly, and unfortunately that is true - however, it has not really been a problem for me. I try not to fill the pot all the way to the top (they say you're supposed to leave about an inch of room) and by doing that, food does not bubble over. Also, the convenience of setting a cooking time and knowing that it will switch to a "warm" cycle when finished is very helpful and very reassuring when you leave the unit cooking with no one at home - don't have to worry about food drying out from over-cooking. I've been told that when buying one of these, it is wise to get the biggest one you can find/afford - if that's true, then this is ABSOLUTELY the right choice!

2.0 out of 5 stars Returning to Store, November 24, 2001
Melanie (Boise, Idaho USA) - See all my reviews
You are not able to program a start time... you can only program if you want high or low and how many hours you want it to run before switching to the warm setting. We found this option to be quite helpful however.
Our only complaint, and it's fairly major, is that our crockpot only has one setting... extremely high. We believe we got a lemon and that they aren't all like this. When we put our beans in to cook (the same recipe we have used for ages) it boiled the water out of it within an hour! I added more water but it dried out again before the cooking process was complete. We tried the low setting and it did the same thing... then we cooked another meal on the WARM setting... it was actually boiling! As I mentioned, I believe we have a broken crockpot and are returning it to the store today to get an exchange. I'll write another review when we test the new one out... that's assuming the store will replace the other crockpot... we lost the receipt and the box it came in had to be dug out of the garbage can. :(
I really hope the new one works properly as I really like the program features and the nice appearance. It's not an eye sore on my kitchen counter.

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGEROUS!, January 16, 2002
This is a dangerous product, and the response (or lack thereof) that I have gotten from Rival would make me think twice before I purchase another of their products.
I have cooked with slow cookers for years, and purchased this unit three months ago because of its large size and programmability. I placed [an amount] of meat and vegetables in the unit, and set it to cook over 8-10 hours. When I returned home, the thick glass lid had blown up and threw shards of glass from the kitchen into the family and dining rooms. Thank goodness no one was home -- someone could have been seriously injured! And, thank goodness, it didn't start a fire after cooking without the lid all afternoon!
Concerned that this style of crock pot was dangerous, I tried to return it to Target, where I purchased it, but according to the Customer Service Rep there -- Target doesn't stand behind the products they sell. So, I tried to contact Rival's Customer Service department and they only offered to send me a new lid! No one asks to see the unit or the lid! They didn't want to investigate what caused this. They just wanted to get me off the phone! Everything else aside, that is what scares me most!
Buy this unit at your own risk. I would recommend that you consider a different manufacturer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing product, July 28, 2002
By A Customer
We've tried numerous times to cook recipes in this crock. We use a Rival cook-book especially for their products. None have ever come out right. It does not get hot enough, and the lid leaks moisture out. Even on the 4-hour (high) setting it still takes almost 8 hours to cook a big roast. We have an older Rival crockpot that works perfectly, and my mother uses a 3-year old crock that works perfectly too. But no such luck with this one! And Rival's warranty is worthless. It would cost us as much to ship the crockpot back for replacement as it would to just buy a new one. And we WON'T buy another Rival this time.

2.0 out of 5 stars not really programmable, July 16, 2002
By A Customer
I have been disap[pointed with this one--the buttons only allow you to choose high or low, and the times are already preprogrammed and cannot be altered. If you interrupt the times, it will not switch to warm. Also, as mentioned, the lid does not fit properly, and steam runs down the outside. I have burned several dinners in this one! I would return it if I could--I suggest you stick to the standard old Crockpot with no fancy gadgetry on the outside--a much better appliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love it!, June 10, 2002
By A Customer
I purchased this product a week ago and have used it everynight. I must admit this is my first crockpot but I can't say enough about it! It cooks evenly and the programable timer is a must. I leave for work in the morning and a perfect dinner is waiting when I return. I never have to worry about coming home late because it shuts itself off!
Run to the store or use Amazon to buy this product today!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made, October 10, 2001
By A Customer
After waiting for many weeks we received this smart looking unit .... There was however one major problem with our unit. The earthenware crock pot was poorly made and not only did heat escape from below but also steam from cooking escaped from above, where the glass top did not meet the rim of the pot. This resulted in hard to calculate cooking times and sometimes dry food. Rival also make a fully programmable Slow Cooker which allows you to input the exact time required. I prefer this. We may have just been unlucky but our unit had 'factory reject' written all over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this crock pot!!, January 25, 2003
Sean E Mahannah (Anderson, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am so glad I didn't listen to the poor reviews of this product and purchased it anyway! Not only does this product look great, it works like a charm! I haven't had any problems with the lid fitting, it sits on the crock pot perfectly. This is my first crock pot/slow cooker, so perhaps I just haven't used one that works better, but I would highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a crock pot, not a miracle worker, June 25, 2004
This crock-pot is the perfect tool for preparing stews to cook while you're away. The automatic "warm" feature is wonderful. The first time I used it was also the first time I used a crock pot. I cooked a lamb shank with root vegetables and apples. I set it for 12 hours, left for the day, came back after 15 hours and had a perfect hot stew waiting for me.
I've discovered that it does require a little more liquid and more vegetables to cover the bottom, than narrower, deeper crock pots, but once you compensate for this, it works perfectly. My lid does slide around a bit, but is not wobbly, and does not vent too much steam. If I've ever had less than perfect results, it's due to my own carelessness, and the food was still highly palatable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›