4.0 out of 5 stars Indoor BBQ pit makes succulent BBQ a year-round reality!
I got the Rival CrockPot BBQ Pit for my birthday in mid-December and I've used it several times since then, for chicken, ribs, and a decent-sized brisket.

First things first - read the instructions, which are brief and easy to understand, before using the BBQ Pit. One drawback to the instructions is that they just say the stoneware insert's easy to clean...
Published on January 2, 2006 by Dale Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars OK , But I Prefer My Smoker
Just as I was about to get rid of this thing I took a few minutes and read what others on Amazon had to say about this item, decided to try some of the suggestions, and went and gave it a second chance.

Lining the bottom with aluminum and putting a sheet of aluminum over the cooking area before closing the lid made all the difference (as did leaving it alone...
Published on October 17, 2006 by DJ

5.0 out of 5 stars easy cheater bbq- i love it!!, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I'm lazy, no doubt about it! I have tried to stand around my fancy two compartment smoker and make real bbq and I just get bored and it doesn't seem to be worth the effort. I saw this cooker about 5 years and got it for Christmas. I love it! It's too easy. You brine your meat or go with a dry rub or however you want to do it. And then just stick it in there and turn it on. Put it on low, go to bed, and wake up to an awesome smell. Also, it makes a great turkey roaster for Thanksgiving, or whenever you want. The only thing I would say is make sure you don't overcook it. The meat will get too soft and tender if you leave it in too long. Also, if you want a good crisp outside, you have to put the meat under the broiler in your oven for a few minutes. I do that to crisp my ribs perfectly. Stuff does stick to the crock surface- just fill it with water and soak it a litle while and it cleans up easy. I've cooked texas brisket- low and slow, ribs, chickens- 2 or 3 at a time if I want, turkey, pork loin, you name it. It's great- get one if you want easy bbq. just get ready to ignore your outdoor pit except for burgers or other fast grilling type stuff. I sometimes put my meat in my big chief electric smoker if I want to get real smoke flavor. About one hour in the big chief for flavor, then in the bbq crock. Again, too easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find gift hits the mark, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
My daughter and her barbecue loving husband asked for this Crock Pot BBQ for Christmas. Living in Oregon, they need an alternative to the outdoor barbecue! I couldn't find it at any local box stores, but an online search turned up this one, at the lowest price anywhere. It arrived right on time, and was a big hit on Christmas morning. My daughter reports that it works great for entertaining, or when they want to do a quantity of meat to freeze in smaller portions. Not for weeknight cooking because of the time involved in cooking and cleanup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I have owned of these Crock Pot BBQ Slow Cookers, prior to purchasing the one I bought off of Amazon.com. I was always impressed by its performance especially during the winter months when outdoor barbequing was not an option. I never had any problems with the first one I owned. I accidently broke the stoneware insert, otherwise I would still have the original one that was given to me as a gift.
I’ve cooked beer can chicken, pork spare ribs in my BBQ slow cooker and have always been satisfied with the result. The key thing to remember is that it is a slow cooker, so time is certainly a factor to consider when using this product. I recommend spraying the stoneware and removable rack with non-stick cooking spray prior to cooking to help with clean up. I always use a little water or liquid some sort at the bottom of the stoneware insert prior to cooking as well, otherwise the meat drippings burn to the stoneware and will require some additional scrubbing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rival BBQ Pit, December 27, 2007
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I got this for my husband. I was alittle reluctant after I read the review about it being hard to clean up. We sprayed the crockpot and the rack with non stick spray. We put hot soapy water in unit after use and it cleaned and looks like brand new!! He made marinated turkey legs in it. It worked great!! I think we are trying ribs next!! It's not like using the smoker outside but the winter weather is not always right for cooking outdoors in Wisconsin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty Weather BBQ, July 24, 2007
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
OK. Grilling and BBQ are better.No one is going to argue that.BUT this contraption works very well and with great results.Briskett was great.Wings were OK only because they fall apart all over the place when you try to eat them.I've had good success with baby bax.There is a rack for fixing three baby back racks at a time.It works well BUT when they are done you really need a tool of somekind to pry the wire apart.Otherwise,instead of three perfect beautiful little racks to take to table,you end up with a big pile of bits and pieces.This baby fixes collard greens that are out of this world.Little bacon and a smoked ham hock and 4cps of water.Very simple and VERY tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and makes great BBQ, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I had ordered an "indoor smoker" from another seller who was unable to deliver it, so I searched for one on Amazon. This is one of the first products which came up and while it is not really a smoker I am delighted with it.

I am glad I read some of the other reviews before using it because doing so helped me get things right from the get-go. I generally spray the inside of the cooker with Pam and I *always* use a cooking liquid in the bottom. This makes cleanup a breeze -- just let it soak for a couple of hours and then scour. I haven't had any problem with baked-on residue.

While it does not really produce the kind of flavor one gets in a real smoker I have found that if I use some liquid smoke in the marinade it does give some smokiness. I also use some "barrel char" from a whiskey distillery and pour it into the cooking liquid (usually beer or cheap bourbon) and it also gives a nice flavor.

I've made brisket, turkey breast, and corned beef which is easily the equivalent of that from a good kosher deli. The one indispensable accessory is a good meat thermometer -- get your meat to 170 degrees and it's done and succulent. I have found that using the "low" setting and not opening the lid until the meat should be nearly done according to the instruction booklet is the way to go. Opening the lid cools the cooker down quite a bit but using the high setting doesn't give nearly as good results. Patience and experimentation are the key. This is a great product -- we use this two or three times a week now.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband thinks it's great!, September 8, 2007
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I used it for the first time today and cooked ribs and pork shoulder steak. They came out really tender and my husband thought "it couldn't get any better." They came out really tasty and tender. The only thing is it's really big so you can't really fit it under upper cabinets and open the lid. You have to take the lid off, but it's not that big of a deal. The other thing is to make sure to line the bottom and grates with aluminum foil so it's easier to clean up. I poked holes in the aluminum foil and it worked just fine. I could see it could be hard to clean if you don't line it first. Other than that, it works wonderfully. Just set it and forget it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Product., April 28, 2007
K. Deaton (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
This cooker cooks wonderfully. I am not sure why it sells for twice as much as it's twin brother, the Rival BBQ Pit. And I'm talking about here at Amazon!! It is the exact same product, other than the color scheme. I guess it may be worthwhile if you absolutely, positively, must match your kitchen appliances.

5.0 out of 5 stars slow cooker, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
We gave it as a Christmas gift. Our son is big on smoking out side and was saying he could not Waite until winter was over .

now he can cook his great ribs when the snow is blowing.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, May 31, 2007
Suzie Eller "(Suzie)" (beautiful NE Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
I'm trying it again. After all, it cost $79 of my hard-earned cash. My biggest pet peeve is that it is hard to clean. Second, I'm never sure how long something should cook. Directions in the recipe booklet haven't rang true yet, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. However, I'm an optimist and I hear others are doing great things with the Crock Pot BBQ Pit. I'm cooking a brisket today and we'll see if luck will kick in.

Crock-Pot BBQ Pit Deluxe Slow Cooker