5.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker that really does cook slow!
Published on November 9, 2010 by MestaySS

1.0 out of 5 stars Melted!
Published on June 16, 2011 by NVanPutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker that really does cook slow!, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Crock-Pot SCCPBP600S 6-Quart Oval Programmable Slow Cooker, Brushed Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I've used this Crock-Pot several times in the few weeks that I've owned it, and I can say that I am truly more than pleased with this purchase! My previous slow cooker was a Rival Brand crockpot which tended to boil my food on low. I never felt comfortable leaving my old slow cooker on while I was at work for 9+ hours each day. For any recipe that called for 8 hours of low cooking time, the meal would be ready within 3-4 hours and would start to scortch the sides shortly after!

When I started my search for a new crockpot, I considered all options, including high end ranges like All Clad and Breville. I'm MORE than thrilled that I went the route of this Crock-Pot. Yes, it isn't as "programmable" as some (it's options for cooking are ONLY low: 8 or 10 hours and high: 4 or 6 hours - it also has a WARM setting).

For my very first use, I decided that I would try it on a Saturday, when I could monitor how the slow cooker actually cooked the food. I didn't really want to leave the house using an appliance for the first time. I noticed that it cooked the chicken very slowly. I was thrilled with the results. An 8 hour recipe really did take 8 hours, which was SO unlike my other slow cooker! It really does cook on low - barely a simmer - which is exactly how a slow cooker should be! After the cook time is up, it automatically switches to the WARM feature, and remains on WARM for up to 6 hours (which is a nice safety feature in case you forget to turn off the pot).

Clean up is a breeze! The insert is dishwasher safe, and the brushed stainless steel wipes up perfectly. It is a very large appliance, so be sure you have the counterspace or the storage space for it! The lid fits snuggly on to the pot - it has a rubber seal, which really helps at preventing a sliding or bubbling lid.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this purchase - I'm so glad that I decided to take a chance on this slow cooker instead of spending 3-4 times the amount on a high-end one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic crock pot, December 27, 2010
We bought this crock pot as a replacement for our old one.

I was slightly hesitant to buy one after reading so many negative reviews from others.

I removed the crock from the box, washed the stone pot with soap and warm water, and tossed in the ingredients for a white chili. 6 hours later it was perfect. The temperature settings on this one are much better than our old one. On our old one "low" meant "slightly rolling boil after 3 hours" and "high" meant "tastes like burning" (Thanks Ralph Wiggums!) if you didn't watch the pot.

This one is great, "low" is really "low" and "high" is not going to ruin the meal. Plus, it will switch to "keep warm" automatically so it doesn't overcook something.

There were no unusual smells from the unit (other than typical "first time use" smells from an appliance) and the gasket worked just fine.

We cook 1-2 meals a week in cold weather with our crock, so its getting a workout.

We definitely think it was worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made, great size, easy to operate., November 29, 2010
C. Hirsch (Council Bluffs, IA United States) - See all my reviews
Ordered this crockpot so I'd have something big enough to cook a whole chicken. It will do just that, along with vegetables. Easy to operate, and easy to clean (can go in the dishwasher!). The base (heating element) part is not nearly as large or clunky as I'd anticipated, so storage is easier, and it has a space in the back that the electric chord tucks into, so it's great not having that dangling prong to deal with! I'd definitely recommend this crock pot!

1.0 out of 5 stars Melted!, June 16, 2011
NVanPutt (Kalamazoo MI) - See all my reviews
We love our Crock-Pot, but this specific version melted. The plastic base got so hot that it melted directly into the ceramic insert. We are extremely lucky there wasn't a fire. After calling Crock-Pot they agreed to exchange it for another slow cooker. Unfortunately we were sent the exact same Crock-Pot which I'm not too thrilled about using unless I'm at home. This completely defeats the purpose of using a slow cooker. I'm thinking about throwing it away and starting over with another brand that won't be a fire hazard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice - Almost started an electrical fire, November 19, 2011
Vary fancy Crock Pot, however this style of Crock-Pot almost started an electrical fire. If I could have given this product "0 STARS" I would have. If I were you, I would stay away from this Crock Pot (and the Crock Pot brand).

Here's why:

The plastic from the bottom of the crock pot started to melt. My husband and I could smell a burning electrical smell a few hours into cooking our meal. We unplugged the crock pot devise and noticed that the plastic at the bottom had onto our counter top (under the crock pot, where it was sitting). When my husband flipped the holder over, he noticed an area were some plastic pieces had melted together.

We ended up taking the crock pot back to the store and bought a different brand, as we didn't experience a very pleasant response from the company. Too me, if they had responded differently my rating and review would be much different than the one that I am currently providing. It's not the best way to do customer service when one of your products almost started an electrical fire. Sometimes looks aren't everything, and thankfully we were home as God only knows what could of happened if we didn't catch the burning plastic in time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so slow and too hot for counter use, March 1, 2011
Katsmeow (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This "slow" cooker actually can boil food with bubbles popping all around the edge of the cooker. It is also too hot to leave on the counter top. Since discovering how hot our counter got with this cooker on it we only use it when placing it on out stove top for safety. It appears that the temperatures can range quite a bit from the reviews I see here. I would suggest always using the low setting and placing well away from anything that might catch fire or burn from the excess heat. My old Rival brand did not have these problems and worked for many years before giving up the ghost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the look, December 30, 2010
I bought this because i read it would cook as receipes call for (time wise). My old crock pot cooked things in 1/3rd or 1/2 the time then burnt it. I bought this at target 3 times.. all three had imperfections in the stoneware bowl on the bottom.. i read this could leech into your food and not be good.. so target hates me. So i bought from Amazon because they never fail me..and of course i received a perfect one. The look is very sleek. I love it. Brushed aluminum, very light, you can tuck the cord in easily. Great so far! I will update in a couple days on the cooking aspect of it.

--cooking in it is great. It cooks correct with times in recipes and doesn't burn. I deliberately left it on the warm setting for around 5 hours to test it out after cooking and it worked wonders. No burn like my old one. Great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great crockpot!, January 23, 2011
This crockpot is sharp! Looks great, works great. When using previous crockpots, the lid would move if the contents were boiling. In this one, there are two tiny holes which stops that from happening - ingenious! The only drawback was the limited number of settings, it would be excellent if you could actually input the number of hours for low and high cook, but other than that, I would highly recommend. I'm extremely happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best slow cooker I've ever owned, January 20, 2011
I'm glad I read the reviews before I purchased a new slow cooker. I've owned several different ones and none of them really cooked on low. This one does. The food turns out great even when I have to leave all day for work. Well worth the extra money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous cooker, and excellent service from Amazon., January 10, 2011
I love this crock pot! It's easy to use, it has a great feature of automatically switching to 'warm' once the cooking time is up. This cooks for 5-6 people quite perfectly but, as I like leftovers, I got it to cook just for myself. :)