1,045 of 1,056 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this little warmer
UPDATE (12/16/13): The warmer is still going strong! I have two inserts and alternate them almost daily. Still love having this to use at work. :)

UPDATE (7/25/12): One of the commenters posted a link where you can buy extra food containers for $5 off the crockpot website. Sweet!

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Pros:
* It looks cool. It made a couple of...
Published on July 10, 2012 by J. White

Published on March 15, 2012 by Techie Evan

1,045 of 1,056 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this little warmer, July 10, 2012
This review is from: Crock-Pot SCCPLC200-R 20-Ounce Lunch Crock Food Warmer, Red (Kitchen)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Pros:
* It looks cool. It made a couple of my co-workers "ooh" and "aah".
* It is compact, light, and easy to carry.
* It warms food great as long as you remember to plug it in! On average, it warmed my food to comfortable eating temperature within 1 hours. This has included all kinds of foods from basic pureed soup to liver and onions. (I like liver).
* There is no smell from the food until you take the lid off to eat.
* The inner bowl cools quickly. I unplug the warmer, leave the inner container in the warmer while I eat so I don't have to mess with how to remove a hot metal bowl. By the time I finish eating my lunch, the inner bowl is cool enough at the top for me to remove it.
* I like the fact that I don't have to use the work microwave. It saves me time because I used to take a Lysol wipe to the office kitchen counter and a soapy paper towel to the microwave before using it. My office has a high population of folks who bring their own lunch (maybe around 70), which is great for budgets, but not so great when you get skeeved out over the residual gunk that was all over the microwave over the course of the week. With this little warmer, I put my food in the container, and plug it in and it's done. I rinse out the container at work, but it goes in the dishwasher at home. I save 5 to 10 minutes of pre-cleaning the office kitchen space, and I don't have to wait until it's past the "lunch rush".

Cons:
* It would be great if you could buy extra containers for it. I could see myself packing a whole week's worth of containers on Sunday night. There are also some days when I work past dinner, and it would be nice to be able to bring food in a second container. I did buy a second warmer, but I'd rather pay half the price and get extra inner containers.
* Don't heat spinach in it. Turns out bitter.

Other information:
* The lid on the inner container usually pops up slightly after 10 minutes of warming. The instructions did note this might happen and to not try to put the lid back on.

Based on a couple of other reviews stating concerns about bacteria and food safety, I decided to do a little experiment. I put tap water in the inner container and tested the temperature of water every hour for three hours. I also decided to test the temperature of actual food, again testing the temperature every hour for 3 hours. I used a Thermapen Instant Read digital thermometer to measure the temperatures. The results are in the table below. According to the NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) website, precooked foods need to be reheated to 165 F when using a microwave. The FDA website states that hot foods at picnics should be kept at 140 F. As you can see from the results I got, the water temperature surpassed the 165F within an hour. The food surpassed the 140F within 2 hours, and was just under 165 F at about the 3 hour mark.

Time ----- Temperature Water ----- Temperature Food
9:45 am ----- 67.4F ----------- 36 F
10:47 am ---- 168.5F ---------- 126.2 F
11:45 am ---- 170 F ---------- 145.1 F
12:50 pm ---- 170.8F ---------- 164.9 F

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific product for lunch at work, January 17, 2012
it's exactly as the other reviewers said...if you're a cubicle dweller and hate hassling with lines at the office microwave, this gadget is for you. It only re-warms food (so no cooking any raw meat here), so if you plug it in when you get in the office in the morning, you'll have a hot lunch waiting for you at lunchtime. And there's absolutely no food cooking smell, so your cubicle neighbors don't know you're cooking lunch. The container seals in all food cooking smells until you open up the crock, at which point, your co-workers will know you're enjoying your lunch. The color isn't exactly as it appears on the photo..on the pix, the red color appears to be crimson/burgundy but it's exactly as described - standard red/white (like the Target bulls-eye logo).

3.0 out of 5 stars Warms cooked food slowly, some improvements could make it more practical or easier to use, March 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As you can see from the product image above, this portable, low-power Crock-Pot Food Warmer comes with a twisting outer lid and a short carry-handle. The enclosed inner bowl is removable, about 5 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep, comes with its own push-down / pull-up lid, made of stainless steel, and can hold as much as 20 ounce of cooked meals. The power cord is about 2.5 feet long, and wraps around the cord wrap on the base.

The product is meant for warming cooked food only, and it does this slowly using non-adjustable low-power. The idea is that if you don't have access or don't want to use the office microwave -- and don't mind a comparatively longer "wait" time (minimum of 1 hour for most foods, I would say) -- for heating up your lunches, this appliance might be an option. When you get to work, for example, you could plug in the appliance right away, so that by lunch time, you'll have a hot meal ready to eat. For convenience, you can leave the warming base at work, and travel back and forth from home and office with the removable food container and lid only (but see caveat below).

Although the product heats up food just fine as is, you should know that the appliance does not have an on/off switch, so you're responsible for plugging and unplugging it if you can't work around this problem by plugging the warmer to a power strip that you can turn on and off (but then again, the warmer's relatively short power cord could be a problem for some). When your food is ready, you most likely have to eat it with the food container still on the warming base, because the container would likely be too hot to touch. This was sometimes a negative for me.

The food container's push-down / pull-up lid does not provide a really tight cover, so when you're transporting foods with liquids or sauces, make sure you keep the container in a secure, upright position. Finally, a food container that can also double as a microwaveable container can be a real life-saver when one is in a pinch for time and happens to have access to a microwave!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lunch warmer., April 17, 2012
I'm a technician and work out of my van. i plug this little guy into a power inverter in my van and off i go. I used to have to mess around every morning with a food jar if i wanted a hot home made meal. Boil the water. Pour the hot water into the food jar and let sit for 15 minutes. Microwave food and then pour out the water and try to spoon in the food through the narrow neck. Now i just dump my leftovers into the food container, take it outside and plug it in. around lunch time my food is piping hot.

Pros:

Save money by bringing food to work instead of eating out.
Heats food throughout the day, unlike the food jar where it's hot in the morning and cooler at lunch.
NO MICROWAVED FOOD TASTE! Heats slowly and evenly without making food chewy or tough.

Cons:

Cheeses and cream sauces tend to separate.
Food can leak out if it turns over.
Can't take a meal with separate sides. Nit Picky i guess.

I honestly couldn't love this thing more. I use it almost every day. I found a nice little collapsible spork meant for camping that fits between the outer lid and the inner. Fantastic product you will not regret buying. EVER.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, March 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a must get item!

1.) It heats food slowly, making sure that unlike cookers that heat quickly and destroy a lot of important molecular structure in your food, this cooker will preserve not only taste, but nutrition!

2.) It does not smell! Maybe a slight aroma nearby, but you won't tick off too many office mates.

3.) Avoids the line to the microwave AND avoids the issues associated with microwaves heating water devoid structures and causing them to break and form completley unnatural and potentially harmful substances.

4.) Avoid BPA and plastic in general. This is a quality stainless steel cooker (inside) that avoids all the terrible leaching of harmful material in your frozen tv dinners that you may take home

A+ for health and comfort. I, eating a lot though, would buy something twice as large as the 20oz is mearly a snack for me, not a lunch. But other than that, I love this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Bucket of Love, June 6, 2012
I got this little crock yesterday and put it to the test today. I filled it with hash brown casserole and country ham. I was skeptical that it would be warm in the middle. I plugged it in as soon as I got to work (8ish) and it was PIPING hot by noon!
I highly recommend this product for fellow cubicle dwellers. This would also be good for someone who cannot cook their own warm breakfast/lunch (elderly, special needs. Oatmeal, soup, leftovers would all be great in this little crock.
I LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea, November 9, 2012
This little lunch warmer works terrificly. It makes perfect leftover chili, soup, or other foods for lunch, starting from frozen in the morning. It gives a much more enduring and long-lasting heat than the microwave oven, and doesn't require preparation. Just open it and start eating while everyone else is waiting in line to nuke their lunch. Like other reviewers I wish they would sell the inserts separately so I could have several ready to go, but I have found that the Ziplock and Glad brands of 2 cup round containers create an almost perfect fit. Just loosen the contents and slide it into the insert while frozen and you're ready to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chuck Your Food In Here, March 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Think of a big thermos for warm food, then add the ability to plug it in and warm the food up, here you go.

This is a really neat idea, particularly for commuters trying to keep healthy and avoid sandwiches every day. This thing holds a lot of food (20 ounces), probably enough for two people. It's insulated and keeps the food pretty warm on it's own.

Plug it in while you work and have a nice hot lunch. Obviously, this works better for "wet" food like stews and the like. You're not going to cook a cornish game hen in here. In fact you can't cook at all in it - it's just for re-warming. But who would want to really cook on their desk?

This is a great little item for people who don't want to microwave their food, or wait for a nasty microwave at work.

You can remove the food holder and lid and leave the warming base, but honestly it's so compact - you probably will just take the whole thing. The outside does stay relatively cool while warming so no burn or fire worries.

I can see this being a great item for dorm-bound college students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made someone very happy..., May 17, 2012
alli_g (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a relative who will not use a microwave and avoids plastic products. He has often wished he could have a hot lunch at work, but with only a microwave in the break room he stuck to cold meals. I gave him this little Crock Pot and he is thrilled with it. He said he puts his leftovers or soup in it, plugs it in when he gets to work, and can finally have a hot lunch without going out to eat. Because the "crock" is metal, not some form of plastic, and also doesn't have a Teflon surface (another thing he avoids), he has no problem using this product. He didn't have any negatives to report at all and even added that his wife plans to use it to keep warm dips warm at parties.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little crock; no line at the office microwave, December 28, 2011
Steel City Scotty (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Received this as a gift from my wife for Christmas. Since I'm a cube dweller, she figured this would be a fun and functional little desk accessory, and she was right! I've only used it once so far but it worked exactly as advertised - last night's leftover casserole was perfectly heated by lunchtime. The only knock I have on it so far is that it lacks an on/off switch, and therefore has to be plugged in/unplugged for use, which I can see being relatively inconvenient if you're going to use the crock more than occasionally.

Rate and Discover Movies