5.0 out of 5 stars The smartest crockpot I've ever used!
Published 18 months ago by Claire Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept - Needs Improvements
This is very cool design. I love the concept of connectable crock pots, particularly for parties or holiday dinners. Unfortunately, the negatives on this product outweigh the positives for me.

Pros:

1. You can have multiple dishes cooking and/or keeping warm while only needing one outlet.
2. Nice design and easy to clean.

Cons:...
Published 18 months ago by Darcia Helle

5.0 out of 5 stars The smartest crockpot I've ever used!, July 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This crockpot is very nicely designed to be used as part of a custom-assortment of cooking-warming products. You can mix-and-match this one with others in the product line - Crock-Pot SCCPMD3-Oval 3.5-Quart, Crock-Pot SCCPMD1-Double Oval , 1-Quart, - to create a custom buffet line! Each unit plugs into the others via an electric port in the side, the final one in the line then plugs into an outlet. Great for parties or potlucks! The other units in this line are great for larger meals (the 3.5 quart) or for dips or sauces (the double 1.5 quart) so you can mix-and-match them to meet your needs for all sorts of different entertainment situations. In the past the closest thing you could get to this system was a monster like this: Crock-Pot SCLBC300-BS Three 1-1/2-Quart Trio Buffet Cooker, but unless you are serving the same or similar things every time, this is not very practical for the average consumer.

Here are the things I like about this unit:

- It's small enough for meals for two
- It's also small enough that you can store it with leftovers in the refrigerator
- It comes in great colors
- The cord is retractable
- It's compact enough to fit easily in our cupboard

A couple of nick-picks:

- It takes a little longer to cook than I expected, but I tend to put the ingredients into it in the morning and let it cook all day, so speed is not a big issue for me
- A timer would be nice, but I have a timer that plugs into an outlet, then I plug this unit into it - that works fine

We're from New Orleans so we love a good Gumbo, Étouffée, or just a nice pot of red beans and rice. We use the recipes in Joe Simmer's Creole Slow Cookin', cutting everything in half for the smaller crockpot size. They come out great and there's just enough for a meal for two and one round of leftovers the next day.

We love it!

Cheers,
Claire

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept - Needs Improvements, July 29, 2013

Pros:

2. Nice design and easy to clean.

Cons:

1. The cord is supposed to be retractable, but mine doesn't work. I have to force the cord back into the opening, and it doesn't pull back out smoothly.
2. The entire unit gets extremely hot. The base is roughly 10 inches by 12 inches around, and the crock pot sits in the middle. The base gets very hot all over. I sit it on my stovetop, and the base throws so much heat that my stovetop is hot enough to cook on. I would not place this on a table without a potholder or pad underneath the protect the wood. It might not even be safe for some kitchen counters.
3. Because the base gets so hot, I don't think it would be good to leave on tables around young children. It definitely gets hot enough to burn fingers.
4. I find things take longer to cook, which might be due to so much of the heat being distributed through the base, rather than concentrated inside the crock pot.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Crock-Pot, August 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, it's a Crock-Pot. What can you really say about a Crock-Pot? The brand is excellent (my preferred brand). It heats up very quickly. A couple of things you should be aware of: It's small, it's square, it's awkward, and you're really only going to like it if you are purchasing several. It's awkward because for a small crock-pot it's a rather big square that has some significant bulk to it. For the most part, it's okay that it's awkward because it's meant to be paired up with others of its kind to form a station. That said, as a stand alone (just because of the size) you'd be better off with the crock-pot dipper or just a small crock-pot. Personally, I don't see a lot of value in this unless you're going to be entertaining a lot and purchasing other units. If that's your plan, great! It does what it promises to do and does it well.

3.0 out of 5 stars As an electrician and a volunteer firefighter, this makes me nervous., June 3, 2014
Michelle (Lincoln City, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This looks like a clever idea on the surface, and it does have a built in circuit breaker to prevent catastrophic overloading of the internal wiring. However, it encourages people to plug multiple appliances into the same receptacle - which both of my professions strongly advise against. I was unable to find the individual wattage listed anywhere I looked on the internet; which also leaves me uncomfortable.

If you decide to use these, please be aware that the power demand will add up rather rapidly, and because they connect together and depend on only one electrical outlet for power, they place a greater load on the cord and on the contacts in that one outlet. If you find the cord or the outlet becoming hot to the touch, you need to separate the units and use multiple outlets, or possibly multiple circuits for power.

3.0 out of 5 stars A for concept, C for reality, October 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For someone who entertains very small groups frequently this might be a handy product for everyone else probably not so much.

First off, I only have the one piece so I can't really comment on how well it actually works while connected. The concept is neat. I love the fact you only need one outlet to use it.

What I did find was that at 3.5 quarts the crockpot is really too small for most party style or family usages. It would work to keep sauces warmed or if you only need to feed 2 or 3 people maybe but for larger gatherings it would be a wash. At least a 5-6 quart crockpot would be much more useful.

Also unlike my normal crockpot which stays cool to the touch on the outside, the outside base of this one gets pretty hot. It is okay on my granite countertop but I wouldn't consider putting it on a table or even a laminate counter. That also decreases it's usefulness in my opinion.

Bottom line, while I think this could be improved to be a great addition to my kitchen it is just not there yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea - gets a little warm, though, August 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Aside from this device getting a bit warm to the touch, I can't think of a single thing wrong with it.
The "problem" with traditional crockpots is that they come on one size: BIG. This one has 2 smaller crockpots within the same footprint of a traditional crockpot. It allows you to cook 2 different items at the same time, or use it as a warming tray for warm dips or appetizers. It works really well! I first made two seperate hot dips for crackers and chips: Spinach artichoke dip and a buffalo chicken dip. I didn't cook them - I just mixed them up and dumped them in and turned it on High. After about an hour and a half, the mixtures were finally up to temperature - nice and hot. I turned it down to Warm and they stayed at the perfect serving temperature for hours afterwards. I have to say, that's a pretty nifty idea. The mini-crock pots are 1 quart each, and they're pretty deep. Each dish has a little divot up near the lid so if you wanted to stick a spoon in there, you'd still be able to keep the lid shut. I thought that would affect cooking times, but it did not. I am a single guy so I also use this to make smaller versions of normal crock-pot dishes. I don't need a whole huge slow cooked pot roast - just a couple servings and this works nicely for that! Warm, Low and High are your options and they all worked flawlessly for me. The unit DOES get warm to the touch but - it has these sizable rubber feet on the bottom which help keep it away from the counter.
I would definitely recommend this unit - great for cooking and entertaining!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Put On The Meatballs!, July 24, 2013
Ed (Surprise, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Entertaining? This is the cats meow!

You can do slow cooking as well as serving in this. A meal for two, slow cooking two separate dishes at the same time then having the ability to self serve and keep the food warm during the meal. Serving during a get-together, like cocktail wieners in BBQ sauce, and at the same time having a warm con queso or cheese sauce for tortilla chips. Or how about a dinner, using this unit for side dishes and attaching the three and a half qt. unit for the main dish----the possibilities seem endless. There are several different size units available; this unit, two one qt., a three and a half qt., and a two qt.. They all attach together, up to six units, with only one cord to plug in, that saves on table or serving area clutter...I suppose that would be terrific for serving a rather large buffet dinner party. My wife and I are getting on in years and just don't eat like we did in the past...this two unit is just perfect for us. The unit is sturdy and appears very well made and will get a lot of good use.

A couple of nice features are the retractable power cord, a built in circuit breaker and the small ceramic pots with lids that could be used for something like baked beans, or used as serving dishes. The units will stack, one on the other, using not much cabinet space. Think the 2 qt. will be our next conquest. We enjoy having the neighbors over and this would just make everything easier, and be able to sit at the table, visit and not spending all that time in the kitchen. Sometimes I just wonder what new products will be available, like this to make life just a bit easier. Is this thing necessary, of course not, but it sure has started several conversations, and it's great to have the food out, warm and ready to serve at anytime.....we are both enjoying this new product from Crock Pot. If you entertain, dinner on the patio, by the pool, or just a get together with friends I'm sure you would get good use of the Crock Pot Hook Up.

At this very moment we have meatballs in sauce in one unit and some veggies in the other---off to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept for entertaining, October 23, 2013
Length:: 1:33 Mins

Betcha can't buy just one!
Long ago (2007, I looked it up on my Amazon history)I bought 3 identical Cuisinart CSC-650 6-1/2-Quart Slow Cookers in order to have a nice, uniform buffet table.
If only this had been available back then!
Right now I only have this Crock-Pot 3.5 quart single pot unit, but it's easy to see how nice it will be coupled with another unit.
In case you can't open the video...
It is smaller and not as deep as similar crocks, so check the measurements. I find it to be a nicely versatile size for a small family, and perfect if you intend to hook up more.
The cord is not an AUTOMATIC retractable type, it's a manual retractable...you gently pull it out, then stuff it back in to a hidey-hole. The removable crock has an indentation for a spoon, NICE feature.
After about 3 hours on high, the temp of the food was 200 with the edges bubbling slightly.

Standing alone, the small size makes for an uncluttered counter.
Now, here's the thing...if you have just one, it has a slightly low end look because the side plastic looks rather cheap. However, it's pretty easy to see how even 2 units together would make it look like a whole 'nother animal. One you'd be proud to have at any event from football party to wedding buffet.

Great concept for those that entertain, perfect for holidays. I'm hoping the double unit that has 2 one quart crocks goes on sale a bit in time for winter holidays.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice But Small, October 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've got the Hook Up Crock Pot in the 3.5 quart oval size which is the largest size in the series but that is still a really small crock pot for a family of four like mine.

The Hook Up Crock Pots are a great idea and I think they are excellent for entertaining and using as serving crocks if you are serving a crowd or family buffet style and want to keep food warm. As a normal crock, the size really hinders what can actually be cooked in it. If you want to serve a small portion of soup, stew, chili or vegetables then this is a nice crock but for anything bigger such a roast, it's just not going to fit. I have a family of four and I usually cook roasts and stews, etc in a 5 quart pot and this is much smaller than that.

For the unit itself, I really like that the crock is oval. Seems much easier to fit items into the crock instead of the usual round shaped ones. I like the control switch. The switch is very easy to use and has a nice feel to it. There is off, warm, low and high. I really like having a warm option. This is the first time that I've had a crock pot with the warm option on it. Most crock pots just have the usual high or low. I also really like the black stoneware crock. The side of the stoneware crock has an indention on the side that forms somewhat of a pouring spout which is nice to get all the last bit of your cooked liquids out. It comes with a glass see-thru lid.

The thing that is unusual about the Hook Up Crock Pots is that they can be combined together and used for serving or even for cooking. You only use one wall plug because the crock units can be plugged into each other and then just one cord plugged into the wall. On one side of the base of the crock is the cord. The cord can be pulled out to use but stays up and out of the way when not in use. On the other side of the crock is a socket so you can combine the crock pot together with other crocks in the Hook Up series. I only have the one size but it is made to just snap together and you only plug up the last one into the wall. It eliminates additional messy cords to deal with.

I have always loved having serving dishes that keep food warm at potlucks and for Holidays so I like the premise of this. I just found that the size was a big drawback. I would like to see a 5-quart in this series. I can envision cooking a roast in one and having side dishes in the additional smaller sizes. So because of the size, I really view this as a server set and not for general cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT -- NEED TO USE BOTH SIDES! Overall, a super versatile product!, July 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a bit of a slow cooker junkie; before picking out this one as part of the Vine program, I already owned four slow cookers in various sizes, which I use to make everything from baked apples to overnight oatmeal to chili to lasagna. This Hook Up model was something I hadn't seen before, but I love it!

As a very important note, the instructions don't mention whether or not you can just use one of the two dishes in this unit, so I emailed Crock Pot customer service. Here is what they said: "With your unit we recommend that you use both sides of your Crock Pot. If only one side of your unit is used it may burn your heating element out." ** So it's very important to use both sides of it while you cook! **

The idea behind the Hook Up system is that you can "hook" up to six of these units (which come in various sizes) together to make a clutter-free buffet of various dishes. Even if you hooked up six units, you still just need one outlet.

Additionally, the units are designed to stack on top of one another for more convenient storage.

This particular model has two one-quart crocks that are oval-shaped. The crocks themselves, as well as the lids, are dishwasher-safe, and clean up easily.

Another nice feature is that the plug/cord pulls out from and retracts back into an opening in the unit, instead of staying out all the time.

The system also has three temperature settings: Warm (for keeping cooked food warm, which is perfect when you use this for a buffet/party), Low, and High. I always try to get slow cookers with three settings like this to have more versatility.

Last night, I used this to make chili in one bowl and veggies in the second. Both came out great, with no "hot spots" or uneven areas. The Crock-Pot brand always puts out a quality product, and this looks to be another one.

If you're looking for some cookbooks, I recommend Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook and The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour.

Happy cooking!