5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased-- good value for price and works great
Published on November 24, 2010 by Granite City Green Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a slow cooker - buyer beware!
Published on June 15, 2012 by J. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased-- good value for price and works great, November 24, 2010
Granite City Green Guy (St. Cloud, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace an old metal slow cooker; the crock of course makes all the difference. This unit is well designed, maintains a constant temp, and is easy to clean. Size is good for a family, we've made roasts, soups, dressing, etc. for groups from 4-10 so far .My only concern is the long-term performance of the plastic parts of the lid locking mechanism; they are fine now and may last forever, who knows.

I've never had a slow cooker with a digital display or timer. I'm not sure why you'd want one...in the words of my grandmother, "it's just one more thing to break." The way we use it it's always turned on in the morning before work (on low) and cooks all day. A timer or digital display would make no difference. There are slow cookers for $100+ out there but this Crock-Pot meets my needs quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Purchase!, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Crock-Pot SCCPVL600-R Cook' N Carry 6-Quart Oval Manual Portable Slow Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
This Crock-Pot is very easy to travel with. The locks on both ends seal very tightly. Cooks well and cleans up even better! Looks beautiful all the rest of the time. Shipping time was unbelieveably fast. I would purchase again, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 26, 2011
I love the oval size because I can fit larger cuts of meat in the crock pot. It also has a small hole (which I presume is a vent hole) in the lid that I can slide my meat thermometer in to check for doneness without lifting the lid!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a slow cooker - buyer beware!, June 15, 2012
We purchased this to replace another manufacturer's slow cooker that failed after many years of good service. We like to do meatballs and pulled pork, to name a couple of items. Even on low, the liquid in the cooker comes to a boil too quickly. A pork shoulder, which should cook for 6 - 8 hours to break the meat down for pulled pork, completely cooks the shoulder in 1.5 hours - too short for "pulling". Even after cooking meatballs and setting it to low, the meatballs boil or overcook. According to Crock-pot customer service, this is normal as both the High and Low temperature cooking is 215°. Even after changing to Keep Warm from High or Low, it will continue to boil for 1 - 2 hours! This is not a "slow cooker" by anyone's definition.

Of course, returning to the manufacturer is not possible and outside of the Amazon return policy. So we are stuck with an unusable product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cooks too hot, December 1, 2011
I bought this Crock Pot in August and have used it half a dozen times. It's a very pretty Crock Pot, but has a few problems. The first thing I noticed is that the crock is much thinner than the 1970's and 1990's Crock Pots I have. This may account for the fact that the food cooks way too hot. I put two big packages of chicken thighs in the pot with tomato sauce on low before going to bed in the evening and when I stirred it all early the next morning, the chicken on the bottom was burnt even though there was plenty of liquid remaining. I've cooked this recipe many, many times in my old crock pots. Also, since there is a rubber seal on the lid, they've added a little vent hole in the glass lid. This hole is very close to the handle so you have to lift the lid very carefully to avoid getting burned - a lesson I learned the hard way. Additionally, the outside metal surface gets *extremely* hot, so this would not be an appropriate appliance in a house with small children. My teenager even burned himself on it. The rubber seal on the lid keeps liquid from cooking over, which I really like. However, it doesn't come clean in the dishwasher. I have to make sure to wash the seal by hand. The handle on the lid collects water under it in the dishwasher, too. I've transported this crock pot several times and it hasn't leaked while kept upright but liquid will flow out of the little hole on the top if tipped over.

I would return this Crock Pot but kept it too long thinking I should give it a chance. Sorry to say after owning and loving many Crock Pots, I just purchased a Hamilton Beach for someone as a Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this crock pot!, January 19, 2011
I bought this crock pot to replace one that was dropped. I totally DISAGREE with the reviewers that said the rubber ring has a "horrible" or "awful" smell. That is not true about the crock pot I received. I have never noticed any unpleasant odor on this crock pot. In the instruction booklet it says NOT to clamp down the top WHILE YOU ARE COOKING. I didn't notice any chemical or bad odor when I opened the box either.

This is a very nice, large crock pot. I usually make chili with about 4# of meat and also stews, etc. in it! I absolutely love the red metallic color!! Also the inner crock pot is separate from the outer metal shell which makes it a breeze to clean. The price is very reasonable. I recommend this product highly. It's a nice quality pot and beautiful in appearance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, lid doesnt seal, no led indicator, bad fit and finish...., July 27, 2011
Bought this yesterday and made chili to take to a friends house. While it did cook just fine my major concerns were the amount of play between the stoneware and the cooker and the weird fitment of the lid. The stoneware seemed like it was a little small for the cooker leaving what felt like too much play. The lid didnt seal well and left a nice mess in the car. There is no light indicating whether the unit is on or not which bugged me.

I returned it and bought the hamilton beach stay or go model which is MUCH better. The lid seals up perfectly. I put water in it and picked the whole thing up and shook it and it didnt spill a drop. Plus it comes with a better lid design which will sit nice and flat upside down on the counter top, an included spoon which clips onto the lid, a lid holder / cord wrap and a slide out spoon rest. It also has an led indicator light so you know when the unit is on. Now this one is a keeper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not liquid-tight, January 7, 2011
I bought this crock-pot specifically for traveling, and I bought a "crock pot travel bag" to go with it. The first time traveling, my soup spilled everywhere (even though we carried it upright). The lock kept the meat and veggies in, but I had a huge mess to clean up when I got to work, and I lost a good inch of liquid as a result. I will be more careful next time and pack it in the car on the floor with towels, but the entire reason I bought a locking-lid crock pot was so I wouldn't have to go to all that bother.

It is very handsome, though, and cooks nicely.

EDIT -- Later today, I was taking the crock pot home. The food inside was warm, but not hot. It had been on the "warm" setting for hours and was turned off completely for 15 minutes before being packed up. I locked the lid, and 15 minutes later in the car *pop* the lid shattered.

Very, very dissapointing.

EDIT - Years later, I took this out of storage and bought a new lid for it. I have traveled with it a few times and haven't had any major issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed!!!!!!!!, March 17, 2012
i bought this crockpot because of the good reviews it had. when i received it i loved it but once i plugged it in the plastic handles started to melt once it started cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars cooked on it bout 10 times now, very happy..., January 23, 2012
Danny B. (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
no rubberry smell/flavor, food tastes great... this whole lid sealing complaint is dumb, the stoneware rim is to big to the lid BY DESIGN! it slides around a little but it doesn't matter because it is designed to slip a litte. no matter how far left, right, fron, or back the lid is there a crack where steam escapes! reading this complaint remind me how dumb people can be.

the outside of this does get very hot when cooking, i don't mind, i don't habitually lick it while it's on.

no timer but i've read so many complaints of timer malfunctions that i went with one with LESS moving parts on purpose. i am happy with the choice.

Rate and Discover Movies