5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Crock Pot, but with a caveat
Published on December 8, 2011 by Five 28

2.0 out of 5 stars Design changed, too hot now on keep warm
When using my new crockpot to serve my tomato sauce and meatballs warm at a volleyball tournament fundraiser, I noticed that on the keep warm setting the sauce was boiling. I had to rely on unplugging it and plugging it back in. The other 5 slow cookers there all worked fine.
Published 16 months ago by C. VanDoren

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Crock Pot, but with a caveat, December 8, 2011
Five 28 (Chicago, Ill USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crock-Pot SCCPVL605-S 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry Oval Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I bought one of these Crock Pots locally about a month ago. I brought it home and washed the stoneware insert thoroughly, and then made a pot roast with vegetables. It made the house smell great during cooking, and my family commented on how tender the meat was. Unfortunately, everyone noticed a slight "plastic" taste to the food. I was surprised and disappointed since I made sure to thoroughly wash the insert in hot water. I chalked it up to the fact that I was using it for the first time. Well, after six separate meals with thorough washing in between, each and every meal has had this plastic taste to it, no matter what I made. I have to assume that the black paint on the stoneware insert is somehow leeching into the food. I contacted Crock Pot at their website and sent them a message describing my dilemma and they responded by apologizing and offering to send me a new unit, free of charge. Now that is what I call customer service! I haven't received the new unit yet but when I do I will wash it and then make another meal and cross my fingers that the food doesn't taste like plastic. As an aside, my friend has the exact same model purchased a few weeks before mine and he has had no problems with his. I will update this review after I cook my first meal in the replacement unit once it arrives.

Edit: I received my new Crock Pot a few days after I wrote the above review. I washed it thoroughly and made another pot roast with vegetables the following day. This one cooks perfectly and with no plastic taste. The embossed lettering on the bottom of the new stoneware insert is stamped nice and clear. On the old one the letters were sort of unclear like there wasn't enough pressure during the stamping process. Maybe there was a manufacturing issue that caused the old one to leech that plastic taste into the food. Whatever the reason, this one is perfect and I am very satisfied with this product and truly impressed with Crock Pot's customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker, April 29, 2012
Cynthia Heiller (Santa Rosa, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Though Crock pot is programmable there is only 4 options for time 2,4,6,or 8 hrs. You cannot program for odd number hours and cannot program the High or low settings. If time is short then cooker is on High setting and if 6 or 8 hrs are picked then cooker is on Low. Also does not seem to go to warm automatically which was a nice option in my previous cooker. Lid is attach well and does not leak during transport as it has a rubber gasket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Customer Service, August 14, 2012
Wow. I will totally support this company. My old crock pot lost one of the black "feet" and it wobbled. I called for a replacement foot. They didn't have one so they sent me this model at no cost. I am thrilled and love companies that stand behind their products. Awesome!

2.0 out of 5 stars Design changed, too hot now on keep warm, May 10, 2013
I tested the crock pot at home, filling it to 3/4 full of water, getting it to 150 degrees on high, and then switching it to keep warm. 2-3 hours later it was 211 degrees!
I called crock pot, they said the design temperature for keep warm was 175 degrees and they sent me a replacement, Same problem. Sent me a third slow cooker, same problem (actually 215 degrees this time).
I called them again, had a long conversation with a rep that said they had to redesign the product to raise the temperatures to satisfy the FDA. She acknowledged that if they sent me more crockpots they were likely to have the same problem. And a higher end version would likely be the same.
Of course the only reason i bought this was that Americas test kitchen rated a sister product as the highest due to its ability to stay on temperature, and the product does exactly the opposite now...
This review was based on a similar model, however crockpot agreed the problem was likely to be seen in all its models so I hope it will be helpful if I post it here also
This product may work fine for you if you are not using or relying on the keep warm setting, but if you are, I recommend finding an old one somewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as programmable as it says, April 11, 2013
NANCI MILLER (BEECH GROVE, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Although this advertises itself to be programmable, the only "programs" available or low or high. I was looking for programmable as to hours, i.e., 4 on high, then 2 on low, etc. Very disappointed!! I'm gone every day from 9 hours and really needed to actually program a slow cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service, August 26, 2012
CD "CD" (Duluth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I love my crock pot but better yet was the customer service by Crock Pot. My liner was cracked and they replaced it within one week. Thanks Crock Pot!

5.0 out of 5 stars best crock pot ever, September 14, 2012
kb4 (north carolina, usa) - See all my reviews
this is a fantastic appliance, it does every thing it says and then some. temperature control is excellent, extremely easy to use, I have been thinking about buying this for several years and now wish I had bought it several years ago. you can't go wrong with this item, it makes cooking so much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars top rated by Consumer Reports and Me, May 9, 2013
this was the top rated slow cooker by Consumer Reports. Having had several Crock Pot brand cookers in the past, I went with this one. It cooks evenly and it is very easy to clean. I love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Have it in Black finish, October 3, 2013
Worked great right out of the box. There was an odor at first, but having read some other reviews mentioning this, I put apples, water & cinnamon in and just did a test run. The odor went away, and we only smelled apples & cinnamon within a couple of hours. Confident we will not have a problem now.

2.0 out of 5 stars This products just cooks and cooks fast., October 13, 2013
I was wanting something I could use to slow cook, not fast cook. Even when the setting is on 10 hours it cooks fast. Even when it is on warm it is bubbling. If I put something on to cook before I go to work and put it on the 10 hour setting by the time I get home it is all mush. Very disappointed. I've used this for months and tried all the settings and it seems to cook the same no matter what it is set on.

Rate and Discover Movies